I try to keep it as short and simple as possible - therefore please no questions like could I use this or that instead
99% the answer would be I don´t know - I´m no hardware dealer who would be able to test different configs
please follow the guide as it is - no support for other methods !!!
also I would go with an nvidia card - they are much easier to install ( in my case it´s a 9800gt / 512mb)
I can´t give any support for ati cards, you will find a solution yourself in the forum.
This is what you need
1. a kalyway 10.5.2 distro (exactly this one - please don´t ask for other distros - they won´t work)
2. an official Snow Leo DVD ( I won´t give any support for a distro as main install)
3. two harddrives ( I still prefer the WD AAKS series) .- we name them HD 1 (main install) HD 2 (maintenance)
4. Tinker Tool from here
5. chameleon 2 RC1 431.mpkg and Cameleon RC3 658
A. Bios Settings - credits for this to MightyLedZepp
1. on the main menu, select IDE configuration. Configure SATA as AHCI.
2. on the advanced menu, select CPU configuration. Disable HT Technology, disable Intel C-State technology,
and set Active Processor Cores to 1.
3. on the advanced menu, select PCIPnP configuration. Set Plug and Play OS to Yes.
4. on the boot menu, select boot device priority and make sure the DVD drive is set to the first boot device.
B. Install Kalyway
1. now boot into kalyway
2. format HD2 with GUID (maybe a small partition with 10GB for the kalyway maintenance install and the rest for data)
3. customize the install > uncheck everything except kernel > choose sleepkernel
4. install the kaly to HD 2
5. reboot without the DVD, hit F8 and set CPUS=1 -v as boot options
6. install Chameleon 431.mpkg
7. now go to root and delete the "boot" file
8. copy the "boot" file from *chameleonRC3>i386 to root.
9. reboot to kaly with options CPUS=1 -v
C. Install Snow Leo
1.boot into HD 2 with options -v cpus=1
2.finish setup and copy Tinker Tool to desktop (you might need a second smaller USB drive)
3.format the HD1 you will use for SL with GUID
4.start Tinkertool, check show hidden files and apply.
5. now boot the SL DVD
6. in SL DVD go to System>installation>packages
7. start osinstall.mpkg and choose HD 1 to Install SL. uncheck the printer drivers, otherwise installation will fail.
8. install should be done in 30 minutes - don´t reboot
9. install chameleon 431.mpkg to the new SL drive.
10. when done go to SL root and delete the "boot" file
11. copy the "boot" file from *chameleonRC3>i386 to SL root.
12. copy the working dsdt.aml to SL/ Extra
12. replace the kexts in SL/Extra/Extensions with the attached files
13. replace the com.apple.boot.plist in Extra with attached file (edit the serial in case - now its set to 012345...)
14. it won´t be possible to repair disk permission in SL, without the last step:
go to the SL DVD again and reinstall the BSD.pkg (also in System>installation) from the DVD.
15. now reboot
D. Starting the first time Snow Leo
1. enable CPU Settings - credits for this to MightyLedZepp
when the system restarts, enter the BIOS menu. Its now safe to enable the features that were previously disabled: HT, C-State, and all cores.
Change the boot order if needed, and reboot to HD1.
2. when the Chameleon bootloader comes up boot only with option -v (in case it doesn´t boot) .
3. install the attached IONetworkingFamily.kext to S/L/E with kextutility
3. now you should have a workin Snow Leo
using the attached dsdt.aml and fakesmc (dsmos.kext = kp) there won´t be any problems with any updates.
to make your system safe in any case, install first Snow Leo also to HD2 and replace the kaly 10.5.2 install
using the same procedure, or copy the HD1 install with Carbon Copy (as long it´s small enough)
from within this "maintenace install" you could easily repair any problems and redo any updates in case it didn´t work
the regular way.
important: this works only from an other Snow Leo install !
2. graphics with GraphicsEnabler=yes for Nvidia cards (already set in the attached com.apple.boot.plist) QE/CI all working
5. firewire (with an extra pcie firewire TI instruments)
4. ethernet - if it doesn´t work with the attached IONetworkingFamily.kext - this is the solution (credits to MightyLedZepp):
go to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext/Contents/Info.plist and edit the following lines:
1. change <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> to <key>IOPCIMatch</key>.
2. add your Ethernet Controller's uid to the list in the line right after the <key>IOPCIMatch</key> line.
usually the id is 0x10D38086 - the simple way to find out is to use Windows Device Manager.
3. remove the line that says <key>IOPCISecondaryMatch</key>, and also remove the line immediately below that.
once complete, open terminal and type
sudo -s > enter
enter passwort > enter
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Caches > enter
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext > enter
not working / in progress
at the moment I´m still trying to get sleep/shutdown to work editing the dsdt.
the included dsdt has many optimizations following a lot of instructions by Masterchief .
everybody is welcome to help with the dsdt - still to do:
AsusZ8NA_D6.zip 1.05MB 215 downloads
EDIT: shutdown fixed with DSDT - use the attached DSDT file and Asere´s Bootloader - you need still only fakesmc and IOstorageinjector in Extra
p-states working with chameleon RC5 newest versions
UPDATED Version workin with 10.6.8 / bios 902 - working sleep S0
dsdt.aml.zip 7.97KB 72 downloads