Ralink RT2500 chipset PCI beta driver

huong23

93 posts in this topic

Update (September 15th, 2005): Driver works under OSx86 now !!!

The latest beta provided by Ralink allows me to use my wireless card (belkin F5D7000 v3) to get online now. Try it out and post your results here.

New driver:

STA_2500CardBus_2005_09_14.zip

EDIT by Cyrana: 10.4.3 driver listed in this post: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...592entry32538

Old driver:

After seeing the success that many of you had with wireless USB adapters (RT2500 chipset) working on OSx86, I decided to email RAlink about the RT2500 PCI/MiniPCI/Cardbus driver for OSx86. They sent me a universal binary driver for beta testing (RT2500 Cardbus/PCI/Mini PCI), but I had no luck to get it to work with my tiger x86. Installation of the driver required a reboot, but after reboot OSx86 wouldn't boot again. Here are some things I've tried and the results:

1). Boot with platform=ACPI ---> boot process stops at "BSD Root: disk0s1, Major 4, Minor 1" (I'm booting OSx86 from my first IDE hard drive by the way).

2). Boot with platform=X86PC --> kernel panic (see attached picture)

3) After driver installation, reboot without Belkin PCI wifi card in PC --> boots properly

The RAlink representative is debugging the issue. If anyone has the RT2500 PCI chipset (found in Belkin F5D7000 v3) and would like to give the driver a try, I've attached the driver below. Remember that it's in very early development (in my case it crashed my OSx86 installation). If anyone has tips to get the driver to work, please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by cyrana

Okay, tried it myself.

I have a RT2500 MiniPCI-WLAN and got the same errors you got.

With "platform=x86pc" it crashes directly after starting.

With "platform=ACPI" a task called "kerneltask" is eating all CPU-power so it took ages to get the GUI.

I also discovered that the driver will be loaded in SafeMode as well as SingleMode.

I really hope we get this thing to run!

Okay, tried it myself.

With "platform=ACPI" a task called "kerneltask" is eating all CPU-power so it took ages to get the GUI.

I also discovered that the driver will be loaded in SafeMode as well as SingleMode.

Just want to check...

Mind looking for some file named AppleTPMACPI.kext (something like that) in your extensions folder? Then move it to a similar name (but like .kext.old). At next boot, try -f platform=ACPI and see if it goes better.

No, thats not the problem.

Removed the file ages ago!

Well, had to check. ;) I have a PCI card w/that chipset, but things aren't all together on my end yet, so I can't test the driver. Sounds like I should wait for some info from ralink first, though.

Okay, tried it myself.

When you start with platform=ACPI, you got to the GUI? If you did...did the wireless card work? For me, it locked up completely, and I had to remove the PCI card to get back to normal boot and remove the driver.

I hope RAlink gets this driver to work soon. No wireless = no internet on my PC..since wired LAN is not supported.

Got the same problem with my MSI RT2500-based WLAN PCI card.

Is that the MSI Dual Net card? I have that coming today. :( So I guess I should just hold off on trying to install the driver until they get back with a fix?

Nope, it's the PC54G2 card that came with my K8N Neo Platinum.

However, I haven't been able to know what chipset the Dual Net card uses...

I downloaded the driver package and it said rt2500 anyway in the inf. :)

:o:D:D:D:D:D:D

Seems this time they got it right!

Problem, I have no Access Point to test the connectivity!

But the card initialize without any problems (ACPI-Mode) and the WirelessCardbus-Utility shows me somthing is going on and the correct MAC!

So could please someone test it?!?!?!

If it work, I will go out an buy a WLAN-Router for my cable-modem!!!! :)

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Seems this time they got it right!

Problem, I have no Access Point to test the connectivity!

But the card initialize without any problems (ACPI-Mode) and the WirelessCardbus-Utility shows me somthing is going on and the correct MAC!

So could please someone test it?!?!?!

If it work, I will go out an buy a WLAN-Router for my cable-modem!!!! B)

Alright. I can report that it works with a wireless router. After configurating WEP and manually provided the IP address for my wireless card, I was able to fire up Safari and surf wirelessly. Haven't tested it for an extended period of time yet, but I can say that this driver is working.

Guys

I can confirm that this driver also works for ASUS wife@Home PCI card. This card has RT2500 chipset and it automatically took the ip address from router and I was surfing..

good way to go people..

B)

Lol.. wife@home ? Is there such a product? :lol:

Driver works great for me with my MSI Dual-Net card. The wireless utility is sort of annoying, but at least it all works.

So now I have a 100% functional system.

what do you mean by it is annoying? what does it do? i might get this card? if you mean popping up on startup you can hide that. i got the belkin usb wireless and i dont want to have to keep unplugging and plugging back in on reboot.

also can someone confirm that this asus wifi at home card works flawlessly. its half the price of the msi dual-net

(off topic, lol..)cyrana can you play encrypted dvds, if so how?

Sorrry..........its wifi@home from ASUS...

:)

does thw asus@home connect on every reboot? the upsetting belkin usb adapter rarely connects by itself on restart using the ralink usb drivers(this is on a fresh install, no deadmoo).

I mean the popping up at startup, and it doesn't feel like an Apple app. I just minimize it anyway. The card works flawlessly though (bluetooth and 802.11g), so I can't complain. I don't use WPA though... It costs more due to the bluetooth on it I think, but I wanted bluetooth.

I've not tried DVDs since OS X can't use my spdif out anyway, so I couldn't get 5.1 audio on them...

I mean the popping up at startup, and it doesn't feel like an Apple app. I just minimize it anyway. The card works flawlessly though (bluetooth and 802.11g), so I can't complain. I don't use WPA though... It costs more due to the bluetooth on it I think, but I wanted bluetooth.

I've not tried DVDs since OS X can't use my spdif out anyway, so I couldn't get 5.1 audio on them...

cyrana try this,

go to system prefences> accounts

select your account click "login items". add ralink, then check the "hide" box next to it? does it work? i couldnt tell you, my belkin usb rarely detects on startup. im gonna try the wifi@home.

Hi,

I tried the driver together with the ASUS WL-107g (Cardbus) wich also has the RT2500 chipset. But unfortunately with no luck :-(

when i insert the card it gets recognised by OSX and it shows up in the System Profiler with Vendor ID = 6164 and Revision 513.

But after installing the driver (from the first post) the system freezes everytime i insert the card. Freeze means you cant even move the mouse anymore. Soon as I unplug the card everything works fine again. Even the Card Utility shows up and give me the mac address of my card.

Seems like theres a very small problem anywhere but I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

I tried the same card on another laptop and now it seems to kinda work. even if manual configuration of the card didn't work i managed to get it working using dhcp. :-)

both laptops are toshiba satellite pro. the one working is a A 40 (deadmoo image) the one not working was a older one called something like pro 2100 (Generic.DVD.Installer).

when i use WEP it seems that dhcp doesn't work properly. but now i can assign the ip manually.. (all this can easily be blamed on my crappy old AP)

I cannot test WPA as my AP doesn't support it.

ASUS Spacelink WL-107g working!!