VMWare + 10.4.6 Jas Problem

19 posts in this topic

Hi

I downloaded the popular 10.4.6 Jas ISO

I installed it, with "custom" options, choosing the SemjaZa patches in the installer (and deselecting languages and printer files to save space)

The install from the daemon tools virtual dvd drive finished without problem.

When it reboot, it had the b0 problem (no boot drive selected), which I fixed by setting the boot drive as described here:

http://buddhistnerd.blogspot.com/2006/06/n...te-friends.html

But now I get this error:

*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

On the first boot, after it verbosely loads lots of stuff and switches resolutions. The top half of the vmware window is garbled, the bottom half is black) The same happens with "-s" boot option for single user mode.

I've tried -v -x platform=X86PC.

I have the paevm = "TRUE" fix in the vmx file. I use VMWare Workstation 5.5.

When OSX boots I see:

PAE enabled

CPU identification: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz

CPU features: FPU VMA DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS EST

CPU extended features:

Local APIC version not 0x14 as expected

Enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes

(Older P4 2Ghz desktop chip, no "NX" feature if that matters -- I notice the old maxxuss patches had a special thing for non-NX non SSE3 chips ...)

Any hints? Do I need some different kernel for non SSE3 non NX chips or anything specific like that? (I had assumed Jas 10.4.6 had it all built in)

Thanks.

Same error here, tried a (third!) install without the INTEL / AMD patches, boots then but says the OS switched the CPU off and I should push the POWER ON button (nice pic of MacBook Power Button!)

Must be booting the wrong kernel?

What are the boot options? (Pressing the help "?" just scrolls the options of the screen)

BTW: VMWARE install with VIRTUAL Disk.

CPU: P4 2.6GHz HT / Socket 478 (845 Intel Mobo Chipset)

RAM: 1Gig Dual Channel DDR400 ...

Thanks in advance!

- R

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Must be booting the wrong kernel?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, thanks to this (Point 11) I am up and running (still with AC97 audio kext to fix). ;)

WTF - I am too used to Linux installs where one gets tons of options about which kernel version, so on to use.

Obviously APPLE don't give us all the choices cos we are only supposed to be using it on their hardware.

BTW, found this by searching this Forum. Thanx to all who have made this such a great place!

- R

• 1 month later...

WRX1KNP or J.D., could you please stuff/zip and upload the kernel which works for you guys at some public filehoster (yousendit etc.) and send me the download link via PM? I am also trying right now to boot a native installation via VMWare and do not seem to have the correct install DVD to solve this problem (Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) + top half of the vmware window garbled, bottom half is black). I have already tried a bunch of kernels, too.

Thank you very much ^_^ ,

Bugs.

• 2 weeks later...
WRX1KNP or J.D., could you please stuff/zip and upload the kernel which works for you guys at some public filehoster (yousendit etc.) and send me the download link via PM? I am also trying right now to boot a native installation via VMWare and do not seem to have the correct install DVD to solve this problem (Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) + top half of the vmware window garbled, bottom half is black). I have already tried a bunch of kernels, too.

Thank you very much :P ,

Bugs.

Please send me a pm for this too.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

HI Friends

Same here! after fixing B0 and SSE2 Reinstallation.

Now freezed at

-----

On the first boot, after it verbosely loads lots of stuff and switches resolutions. The top half of the vmware window is garbled, the bottom half is black)

----

I think it is some like problem with VM.

So Please if one knows how to solve this problem help us.

Thanks!

yes, that worked - no kernel stack fault anymore. Now it boots up to where it is about to switch to graphical UI and stalls with "(162: StuffitAVRDaemon)tfp: failed on 155"

I'll have to look into that later on.

Actually it's logically 'cause I am booting from the disk and not the partition and the first thing that comes up is the XP bootloader. Probably one can also choose Windows 2000 or Windows XP instead Windows NT.

Thanks SubZero3000 for the hint.

yes, that worked - no kernel stack fault anymore. Now it boots up to where it is about to switch to graphical UI and stalls with "(162: StuffitAVRDaemon)tfp: failed on 155"

I'll have to look into that later on.

Actually it's logically 'cause I am booting from the disk and not the partition and the first thing that comes up is the XP bootloader. Probably one can also choose Windows 2000 or Windows XP instead Windows NT.

Thanks SubZero3000 for the hint.

I'm gonna try using vmware tonight :) for {censored} and giggles, if i come into that tft error thing i will tell you, the only time i see that tft issue when i launch console i get this

Sep 23 14:47:39 macjason-mac kernel[0]: (71: SystemStarter)tfp: failed on 0: < --- that what you mean ?

macjason

• 8 months later...

I recieved this same error when installing from Uphuck's Universal DVD 1.3 (10.4.9). My solution was to reboot off of the install CD and install just the Patch "AppleACPIPlatform.kext"

My hardware for this setup was

AMD A64 3800+

MSI K8N Neo2 Ultra

GeForce 6800+