• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

Drakkar01

Drakkar01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So I did what you said in the tutorial but just after rebooting it hangs up on apple logo loading screen. My problem is after installing a Nvidia enabler it cant read the display EDID wich is a common case of my G210m nvidia card, so for now I just followed the tutorial but I havent installed the enabler, should I need to install the enabler to make the tutorial work?

btlachance

btlachance

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you for the excellent guide :( I've got an override made that does get picked up for my internal display -- at least I'm pretty sure it gets used, because I can see the DisplayProductID specified in the Override when I look at the monitors under "Displays" in System Preferences.

With that said, I am still getting the scrambled images, the many-colored vertical lines. I'm able to use an external monitor through the laptop's VGA port just fine (that's how I got the EDID/edited the Override!) but cannot use the internal display, regardless of it being my primary display or not.

Anyone/CharredPC, do you have any alternatives to try if using an Override doesn't seem to do it? This one post from a user using the same display as a replacement on a MBP is disheartening, but I'm here to see if maybe I've missed something ;)
I'm running an hp dv9500t with an Intel x3100 graphics unit. The internal display's "model number" is LP171WE2-TL03, its product id is 0x1289 and its vendor id is 0x320c if that's any help.

Thanks in advance for any help you all may have!

Time2Retire

Time2Retire

Retired

• Retired Developers
  • 1,012 posts

7. Run ioreg -l in Terminal again. If you cannot find IODisplayEDID, or it has a different value, then we're on the right track! This time, locate the DisplayProductID, DisplayVendorID, and IODisplayPrefsKey values. That last one should end in something like AppleBacklightDisplay-756e6b6e-717. Take note of all these. Leave this Terminal window open, so you can grab these values as needed as we continue.

People might consider to add:
"AAPL,alias-policy", 
	Buffer (0x04)
	{
		0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
	},
To the _DTM method in their DSDT because that will give you a nice short alias. Something like:
Alias:0/AppleBacklightDisplay-6af-39e

instead of this ugly long counterpart:
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/
AppleACPIPCI/GFX0@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer/
display0/AppleDisplay-6af-39e
Which is what Apple is using. I mean the short one of course.

p.s. Using 0x01 for the first byte will change the alias number from Alias0: into Alias1:

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
@dutchhockeypro,

That is definitely something to consider. I noticed on MacBookPro6,1 use the short version (Intel HD) while on MacBook5,1 use the long version (Nvidia).

limonada

limonada

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
This is a very good post!!!

To contribute, I've made a script to save ioreg output automatically at login. To install it, follow the next steps (taken from http://support.apple.com/kb/Ht2420):

• Open Terminal (Applications/Utilities).
  • In the Terminal window, type:

sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /path/to/script

(where /path/to/script is the full path to the script that we want to execute at login).
  • Type your password at the prompt, then press Return.
After reboot with wrong display, the output will be saved in your root folder. You should copy it to another location to prevent to be overwriten in the next boot.

You can uninstall the script this way (in terminal):

sudo defaults delete com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook

Attached Files

hectory

hectory

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
CharredPC can you help me

i have a blackscreen after the applebootlogo but i managed to look up information about settings via teamviewer

as i thought there is no support about my internal lcd. do you know how to add manual support via edid

here are 2 pictures
Posted Image
Posted Image

i hope you can help me

jimbly2

jimbly2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hi there,

thanks for your time and efforts to sort the EDID issues out - I have a 5650 and I've tried to create the overide exactly as you suggested, but it's not getting picked up. The system recognises my card no problem and if I plug an external vga monitor in it's fine ( using boot flag AtiConfig=Eulemur ) with full QE/CI - but the laptop screen is just black - but with the backlight on.

If I check with SwitchresX the Forced Internal EDID isn't loading at all.

Not sure where to go from here - any ideas?

Thanks
Jim

HP DV7T
Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5650

gizmonder

gizmonder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm still blank screen (external monitor works fine, QE/CI don't work). Sony VAIO EB1S1R/WI i5-430m + HD5650
My edid:
00FFFFFFFFFFFF004DD9FA05000000000413010380221378F2CE
50A3574C99260F5054000000010101010101010101010101010
10101201C56AE50000C301D3A240054BE100000008C1756A05
00016301A35370054BE100000000000000000000000000000000

Make me a file please, maybe I'm doing something wrong

lightmanrt

lightmanrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I got the EDID using windows but then I lose your instructions where you say go back to 6. What do I paste, what do I change? Is it the raw data? Can you make your instructions for a dummy? The program you linked us to can save in RTF and edd format. What do I paste from the RTF.

Thanks, Bob

dalerr

dalerr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Successfully inserted new EDID, extracted on Windows, for my VAIO screen. But didn't see native resolution 1366x768, only 1360x768.
What else I can do for fixing resolution issue? Can we modify display profile, add to it my custom resolution?

When I used SwitchResX, 1366x768 worked ok.

I also tried to using SwithResx profile, modify it with my EDID, but also have only 1360x768.

And second question, I have gradient visible issue on my internal screen, seems its problem in LUT recognition. I tried to fix it by using native OSX color manager but wonder didnt happen, i see gradients with steps. On windows 7 i didnt have such issue, of course.

Any suggestions?

gizmonder

gizmonder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Successfully inserted new EDID, extracted on Windows, for my VAIO screen. But didn't see native resolution 1366x768, only 1360x768.
What else I can do for fixing resolution issue? Can we modify display profile, add to it my custom resolution?

When I used SwitchResX, 1366x768 worked ok.

I also tried to using SwithResx profile, modify it with my EDID, but also have only 1360x768.

And second question, I have gradient visible issue on my internal screen, seems its problem in LUT recognition. I tried to fix it by using native OSX color manager but wonder didnt happen, i see gradients with steps. On windows 7 i didnt have such issue, of course.

Any suggestions?

What VAIO model?
What your IODisplayPrefsKey value?

dalerr

dalerr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What VAIO model?
What your IODisplayPrefsKey value?

Thank you for interest, wish it helps me ;)

I have sony vaio vpc-EB4L1R Wi

My extracted EDID data:

==================================================Monitor Name      : Serial Number     : Manufacture Week  : 4 / 2009ManufacturerID    : 55629 (0xD94D)ProductID         : 1530 (0x05FA)Maximum Resolution: 0 X 0Image Size        : 34.0 X 19.0 cm (15.3 Inch)Maximum Image Size: 34 X 19 cm (15.3 Inch)Horizontal Frequency: Vertical Frequency: Digital           : YesStandby Mode      : YesSuspend Mode      : YesLow-Power Mode    : YesDefault GTF       : NoDisplay Gamma     : 2.20Serial Number (Numeric): 0 (0x00000000)EDID Version      : 1.3Registry Key      : SNY05FA\5&6572075&0&UID1024Computer Name     : Last Update Time  : 29.06.2011 16:59:51EDID:00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 4DD9FA05 0000000004130103 0221378F 2CE50A35 74C99260 F5054000 00001010 10101010 10101010 10101010 101201C5 6AE50000 C301D3A2 40054BE1 00000006 C1B56035 10060302 B5600095 4BE10000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 000000EB==================================================

Info from ioreg:

AppleDisplay  <class AppleDisplay, id 0x1000003b4, re$    | |   |   | |   |     {    | |   |   | |   |       "IOClass" = "AppleDisplay"    | |   |   | |   |       "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsF$    | |   |   | |   |       "IOProviderClass" = "IODisplayConnect"    | |   |   | |   |       "DisplayProductID" = 1815    | |   |   | |   |       "IOPowerManagement" = {"CurrentPowerState"=3}    | |   |   | |   |       "IODisplayPrefsKey" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatform$    | |   |   | |   |       "IODisplayParameters" = {"pscn"={"min"=5000,"max"=1$    | |   |   | |   |       "IOProbeScore" = 2000    | |   |   | |   |       "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"    | |   |   | |   |       "AppleDisplayType" = 10    | |   |   | |   |       "AppleSense" = 1815    | |   |   | |   |       "IODisplayConnectFlags" = <84400000>    | |   |   | |   |       "DisplayVendorID" = 1970170734

As I said before, now i have custom profile with my EDID info (in monitor setup I see my custom display name - Sony SF5A), but without native res, only 1360.

My profile:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version="1.0"><dict>	<key>DisplayProductID</key>	<integer>1530</integer>	<key>DisplayProductName</key>	<string>Sony SF5A</string>	<key>DisplayVendorID</key>	<integer>55629</integer>	<key>IODisplayEDID</key>	<data>	AA////////AE3Z+gUAAAAABBMBAwIhN48s5Qo1dMmSYPUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB	AQEBIBxWrlAADDAdOiQAVL4QAAAAbBtWA1EAYDArVgAJVL4QAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA	AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOs=	</data></dict></plist>

Maybe EDID info was extracted incorrect or should I try another tool? (btw with EDID viewer i cant see any info, only 0000, so i used another soft)

demian12

demian12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
I'm trying to make the solution C.
These are the EDID from windows: (EDID-windows.rtf).
what are the data that edited in DisplayProductID-717?

adjunct DisplayProductID-717

Attached Files

periqo

periqo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.
First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH.
After many many tries I've success into get the right desktop and the right resolution.
Recentely I've purchased a new Toshiba L635 and thing weren't going right to make an SL intallation on it. But with great dosis of patience and great guys like you, thing come to an end.
Well. My final way to get EDID working was the C option but a little modified. After getting the EDID data from windows and the SwithResX from the Mac partition, I'd build a DisplayDeviceID-717 melting the files with Terminal, after that I'd overwrited original file and forced SwitchResX, insert the native resolution 1366x768 and saved. REboot and magicaly the screen was a perfect window :(
I repeart THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Soulstinger

Soulstinger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey dude,

Just wanted to say what a blooming' genius you are, thanks for posting this as my Mac Mini with DVI output through a KVM has been driving me mental and your fix even works under Lion

cheers man and keep up the good work

Soulstinger out!

Peterpower

Peterpower

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I tried to read out the EDID of my AUO17ED (build-in laptop screen). It has EDID v 1.4. It tried EDID viewer but it doenst show anything. With MonInfo i get 120 Byte of my EDID, but i read the EDID have a size of 256 Byte. When i edit everything like u said my screen get even worse with this 120 byte of data.

Im using lion.

As you can see my screen is still all missed up, the right half is missing, its all green and flickering. i can change the resoulution to my native of 1920x1080 but i could do it withpout the edits staed in this guide. so no improvement for me.

fariel23

fariel23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
can someone be so kind to make me a file for my laptop. i appreciate

Attached Files

kocoman

kocoman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

First of all thank you for this comprehensive guide, it helped me a lot understanding my problem. However somehow it doesent work for me.

Problem:
Using a Mac Mini as a mediacenter beneath a Philips TV able to show 1080p, however after 3-4hours of none use, the screen goes black and says videoformat not supported, reason being the EDID not transmitting so the Mini choses the standard option which is 1680x1050 and the Philips TV does not support that. If I use SwitchResX the TV is showing up as Unknown Monitor instead of Philips FTV when its working.

I've followed your guide step by step, but I may have missed something.

First of all, I get stuck at point 7. Upon doing the ioreg -l I cannot locate anything with the names DisplayProductID, DisplayVendorID, or IODisplayPrefsKey, not sure why.

Instead I tried solution C with SwitchResX

I had no problem locating the file in
/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/
Its not showing the VendorID 100% correct (SRX says its 7274, however the file is named DisplayProductID 76697274) but its the only file thats been edited within the last 3 months so if its one these files its gotta be it?

I've renamed the file to .Plist and added my EDID, then removed the extension and overwrited the original file.
But after a reboot nothing happends, the changed file is still the same, but the Mini is still only showing 8:5 standard displays rather than 16:9 displays when the EDID is being correctly transmitted.

Do you have any ideas what Im doing wrong?

System info
OSX 10.6.3 Intel
Nvidia GeForce 9400

Does anyone know how to add more custom resolutions to the virtual display? SwitchResX does not let you add it

Does anyone have any idea how to debug it? I tried the

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-76697274

mods but it does not work

I found its called a "VirtDisplay0" in com.apple.windowserver.plist, but can't find anyone reference to that in google

NotMeAgain

NotMeAgain

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
This might help users who do not have a working screen at all:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2370

It outlines how to SSH in and run commands to enable screen sharing via VNC.

For those who have no idea what IP address the MAC is using, double check on your Routers DHCP assigned IPs, this should allow you to SSH in.

Fingers crossed I will be fixing my HackBook Vaio tonight :)

tilch

tilch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Does your laptop have a 'messed up' display part or all the time? Are you missing some or all proper resolutions? Is everything stretched out, or maybe your screen is even blank*? Here's your likely solution! OSX has a horrible time trying to pick up EDID information from our LCD screens. That's the information it needs to know what timings to use, what resolutions are available, etc. Without it, a lot of us are stuck at the wrong resolution... or worse! Often the problem can be intermittent- for example, the display doesn't work right, but then does after a reboot or two, or randomly.

I Love You ;D
Thanks from Germany
I tried it and first it seemed that it wont work but than i did something and it worked...... now i got 1080p on my Laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 with full Graphic Acceleration.....
it took me about 5 hours (Ubuntu, i downloaded it for 1h did not work and that is had to use DOS....) it was hard but now everything works. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________

okay i got a problem now. after a reboot the resolution is messed up. it is 1080p but it looks like the pixels are wrong....
it looks like a crappy upscaling. Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and that is a picture after i tried for an houre to change to any other resolution and rebooting serveral times and then i got this after picking 1024x768,60hz then 1920x1080,96hz (i dont know why) and then 1920x1080,60hz
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i dont know why the hell it´s like that....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy