Potential i3 Build Possible?

82 posts in this topic

Yup, the fact that maleorderbride has an i3-530 running on his P55M using nothing more than Qoopz kernel & busratio=25 means nothing OSX-relevant has changed between Lynnfield & Clarksdale beyond the CPUID.

While you could indeed wait for someone to craft a guide or for Apple to add Clarksdale CPUs, really, all you need is the expertise needed to go through tonymac's install for P55 & i5s and then swap in the Qoopz kernel, repair permissions & boot with the proper busratio=

I'm going to bump this again, I had no idea that the Core i3 had integrated video - that's fantastic. I don't really need a serious graphics card for my low-end hackintosh and a $125 processor and $100 motherboard are certainly reasonable. I'd rather take this saved cash and get an SSD. Hopefully in the coming weeks when 10.6.3 is released there will be some progress and I'll know if I should pull the trigger on the H55+i3

Did you use any kernel flags?

sorry for the late reply....

finally manage to boot and proceed with the installation (10.6.1-10.6.2 Hazard).. I'm using this boot option:

boot: -v busratio=45

update:

manage to install, but still struggling to make it dual boot with Windows7...

Update 22-Jan-2010:

I skip the dual-boot idea first, re-install back into a single drive, installation succeeded, but when restart the PC, it just hanged at "Loading operating system"....

Any ideas ?

sorry for the late reply....

finally manage to boot and proceed with the installation (10.6.1-10.6.2 Hazard).. I'm using this boot option:

boot: -v busratio=45

update:

manage to install, but still struggling to make it dual boot with Windows7...

Update 22-Jan-2010:

I skip the dual-boot idea first, re-install back into a single drive, installation succeeded, but when restart the PC, it just hanged at "Loading operating system"....

Any ideas ?

Wait - you successfully installed OS X? I'm wanting to order the exact same hardware setup as you but I want to know whats working and what's not quite working correctly. So, as I understand it you borked your OS X install by trying to dual boot?

The installation is successfull but it couldn't find the boot device after the first reboot, I'm still looking for the solution, so to be safe I think you might want to hold the order first...

I'm trying the tonymacx86 method next...

--

Wait - you successfully installed OS X? I'm wanting to order the exact same hardware setup as you but I want to know whats working and what's not quite working correctly. So, as I understand it you borked your OS X install by trying to dual boot?

other than Apple's plans, the big unknown at this time is the H55 motherboards themselves and not the Clarksdale i3/i5/Pentium CPUs

We know the CPUs themselves work when setup by someone with the proper experience:

Ok, I have my i5-650 working in OS X now using the Qoopz kernel on the P55m-UD2 board. I booted using busratio=25 and it worked immediately. I changed the ratio manually, so put whatever busratio matches your CPU. Should work just fine with i3s also.

Time to overclock!

12,000 cinebench at 4.0GHz, still going for 5.0

as for KerjaLuar:

While I'm not certain, both the issues you've had sound very similar to issues reported with P55A & P55M boards awhile back. At first everyone was wondering if the P55A was incompatible, but the issues turned out to be limited to a few noobs, once people with experience at P55 builds got their hands on em they reported no difference with P55A

IIRC its all related to the Chameleon/bootloader install and not the OSX installation itself.

Now... ""Loading operating system"...." sounds like a Windows error, not an OSX one. What that tells me is that in your attempts to get a dualboot going, you accidentally overwrote the bootloader (chameleon) on your drive with the Windows one.

While Chameleon on startup volume/on EFI partition is very slick, and can be straightforward under ideal situations, it can cause tons of headaches when done improperly.

If I were you, I'd go about crafting a USB stick based bootloader with Chameleon, your DSDT, plists & kexts so that you can experiment with dual boot without hosing your OSX install.

This way, the essentials of what makes your hackintosh bootable are stored on a USB stick selected as boot in BIOS. Removable without issue and easy to alter/backup format, just swap in a diff USB stick if you need to test config changes. It also makes dual boot foolproof to setup, since there is no way for either Windows or OSX's installers to touch your bootloader.

I've yet to see a guide specifically for P55 USB-boot sticks, but it should be relatively easy to adapt tonymac's guide into USB stick format. IIRC I provided basic instructions a week or two back, shouldn't be that hard to find

other than Apple's plans, the big unknown at this time is the H55 motherboards themselves and not the Clarksdale i3/i5/Pentium CPUs

We know the CPUs themselves work when setup by someone with the proper experience:

as for KerjaLuar:

While I'm not certain, both the issues you've had sound very similar to issues reported with P55A & P55M boards awhile back. At first everyone was wondering if the P55A was incompatible, but the issues turned out to be limited to a few noobs, once people with experience at P55 builds got their hands on em they reported no difference with P55A

IIRC its all related to the Chameleon/bootloader install and not the OSX installation itself.

Now... ""Loading operating system"...." sounds like a Windows error, not an OSX one. What that tells me is that in your attempts to get a dualboot going, you accidentally overwrote the bootloader (chameleon) on your drive with the Windows one.

While Chameleon on startup volume/on EFI partition is very slick, and can be straightforward under ideal situations, it can cause tons of headaches when done improperly.

If I were you, I'd go about crafting a USB stick based bootloader with Chameleon, your DSDT, plists & kexts so that you can experiment with dual boot without hosing your OSX install.

This way, the essentials of what makes your hackintosh bootable are stored on a USB stick selected as boot in BIOS. Removable without issue and easy to alter/backup format, just swap in a diff USB stick if you need to test config changes. It also makes dual boot foolproof to setup, since there is no way for either Windows or OSX's installers to touch your bootloader.

I've yet to see a guide specifically for P55 USB-boot sticks, but it should be relatively easy to adapt tonymac's guide into USB stick format. IIRC I provided basic instructions a week or two back, shouldn't be that hard to find

Any update on this?

Any update on this?

Nothing's changed over the last week that I've seen.

The one person I've seen here with prior hack' experience who tried Clarksdale i3/i5 on P55 had no issues using Qoopz

I've still yet to see anyone with prior hackintosh experience with a H55/H57 mobo, just noobs on their 1st build

It would have been nice if KerjaLuar had not given up, but... to be honest, the odds of someone with very few posts here succeeding with a retail install even on supported i5/P55 build are rather low their 1st time around, nevermind being our volunteer guinea pig for new hardware.

With that said, the fact that he got a packaged distro like hazard 10.6.2 to boot and install is a great sign, (the AMD/Atom compatible kernel is doing the same thing Qoopz would) even if he never managed to get a bootloader installed right & then hooped it further by trying to dual boot.

Honestly, I'm very tempted myself, but have been able to hold myself back so far.... and from what I've seen I'd be VERY surprised if a board like the GA-H55M-UD2H had any serious compatibility issues in the right hands, its just so damn similar to the P55M-UD2 (same chipsets for audio/lan/1394/sata)

Sorry for the late reply, a bit busy with my day works lately... will find some time to do this exercise, at this moment the PC is sitting next to my tv as HTPC.. Windows7, and thats the reason I wanted it to be dual boot..

:(

Nothing's changed over the last week that I've seen.

The one person I've seen here with prior hack' experience who tried Clarksdale i3/i5 on P55 had no issues using Qoopz

I've still yet to see anyone with prior hackintosh experience with a H55/H57 mobo, just noobs on their 1st build

It would have been nice if KerjaLuar had not given up, but... to be honest, the odds of someone with very few posts here succeeding with a retail install even on supported i5/P55 build are rather low their 1st time around, nevermind being our volunteer guinea pig for new hardware.

With that said, the fact that he got a packaged distro like hazard 10.6.2 to boot and install is a great sign, (the AMD/Atom compatible kernel is doing the same thing Qoopz would) even if he never managed to get a bootloader installed right & then hooped it further by trying to dual boot.

Honestly, I'm very tempted myself, but have been able to hold myself back so far.... and from what I've seen I'd be VERY surprised if a board like the GA-H55M-UD2H had any serious compatibility issues in the right hands, its just so damn similar to the P55M-UD2 (same chipsets for audio/lan/1394/sata)

I successfully install and run hazard 10.6.2 on the vmware with new system ga h55m s2h core i3 530 using busratio=45. everytime when i start it up i need to type in the busratio.

So I'm wandering if hazard installation on the vmware will be the same as on the actual hd?

Well, I'm afraid that we wont have budget hackintosh for socket 1156 :) And I do not want to go back to 775 :(

Everything looks positive thus far, nobody has reported any unsolvable issues with either the Clarksdale CPUs or the H55 motherboards.

So long as your fine running a modded kernel until Apple adds support I've yet to see anything to discourage me from going i3/H55 for my next build next month

If you really wanna play it safe go with the P55 over H55, but they are so damn similar and appear to function the same, so I doubt there will be any long-term issues

Everything looks positive thus far, nobody has reported any unsolvable issues with either the Clarksdale CPUs or the H55 motherboards.

So long as your fine running a modded kernel until Apple adds support I've yet to see anything to discourage me from going i3/H55 for my next build next month

If you really wanna play it safe go with the P55 over H55, but they are so damn similar and appear to function the same, so I doubt there will be any long-term issues

Agree. This was my first serious build (got an old laptop running but had graphics and wireless issues) using i5-650/GA-P55M-UD2/ASUS Radeon 4870 1GB. Since I have no interest in integrated graphics I have no interest in the H55 (also highly suspect if they would/will ever work outside of safe boot). Everything appears to be working under 10.5.7, so going to pick up SL tonight. Took a few iterations to get it to boot, but nothing I couldn't solve combing the extensive forums here and tonymac. Hoping to have the same luck with SL and Qoopz.

Agree. This was my first serious build (got an old laptop running but had graphics and wireless issues) using i5-650/GA-P55M-UD2/ASUS Radeon 4870 1GB. Since I have no interest in integrated graphics I have no interest in the H55 (also highly suspect if they would/will ever work outside of safe boot). Everything appears to be working under 10.5.7, so going to pick up SL tonight. Took a few iterations to get it to boot, but nothing I couldn't solve combing the extensive forums here and tonymac. Hoping to have the same luck with SL and Qoopz.

Were you able to get it working?

Why, oh why would someone buy an i5-650, if you do not want to use its integrated graphics, and who would ;) ?

I5-750 is much better CPU + fully supported by OSX, or you can buy an i3-530.

Why, oh why would someone buy an i5-650, if you do not want to use its integrated graphics, and who would ;) ?

I5-750 is much better CPU + fully supported by OSX, or you can buy an i3-530.

Overclocking perhaps? some people want the extra overclocking headroom for easy +4 GHz overclocks on air

sales? Microcenter has had the i5-650 as low as $120

Using an i3-530 processor and GA-H55M-UD2H board it will load and run 10.6.2. It will only run in 32 bit mode and audio refuses to work (even via USB).

It will boot from Tonymacx86's P55 boot CD then you can install SL using the DVD swap technique. I wanted to run OSXinstall from a USB stick, but Tony's boot CD would let that happen. I used BootCDCreator and the contents of the Extra folder on Tony's CD to create a BootCD that would allow me to use the image restored to the USB drive.

Once loaded I used DigitalDreamers Script to do the housekeeping chores.

At boot one needs 'busratio=44' to prevent reboot. This applies at all boots so I added the command as a boot flag in the com.apple.boot.plist. It will not boot with a vanilla kernel. I used the Qoopz kernel included in DD's 4.22 script. I tried RC4, PC-EFI 10.5 and PC-EFI 10.6 bootloaders - it works with all. Ethernet works with the Realtek1000SL kext included in DD's script in S/L/E. The UUID kext is not needed.

I used an ATI4350 video card. It did not work with PC-EFI10.6 as advertised but I did get it to work using some modified kexts. (I should have gone with a 9xxx Nvidia which would have been much easier). It is possible to use the on-board DVI video and set certain resolutions via the GraphicsMode key in the boot.plist. On my 24 inch LCD monitor 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 worked reasonably well, however without any Qs.

Shutdown and restart work. I haven't got to sleep yet.

The major problem is with audio.

EDIT: changing busratio to 22 fixed USB audio.

EDIT 2: Found appropriate kexts to use onboard audio, now all works.

This board and processor make a relatively inexpensive Mac. The only real drawback is requiring a non-vanilla kernal.

• 2 weeks later...
Using an i3-530 processor and GA-H55M-UD2H board it will load and run 10.6.2. It will only run in 32 bit mode and audio refuses to work (even via USB).

The major problem is with audio.

EDIT: changing busratio to 22 fixed USB audio.

EDIT 2: Found appropriate kexts to use onboard audio, now all works.

Hey, do you mind elaborating on how you got audio working. I am stuck on audio. My board is GA-H55M-S2H. I tried VoodooHDA, ALC888 and ALC888b with no luck. I figure I need DSDT.aml for my board but no idea how to make one.

Hey, do you mind elaborating on how you got audio working. I am stuck on audio. My board is GA-H55M-S2H. I tried VoodooHDA, ALC888 and ALC888b with no luck. I figure I need DSDT.aml for my board but no idea how to make one.

The audio kexts I used were contained in a package I found at Tonymacx86's site named "Gigabyte_ALC889_P55. I used the Enabler kext plus a Legacy kext from that package. However, what I used is a moot point for your board since it has a different Audio chip.

I'm using Gigabyte H55M-S2H MoBo, core i3 2.93 and a Radeon HD4670Up until now I7m not giving up on trying OSx86...(have tried on iATKOS v7 but not yet on Kalyway)

Specifically, what is the main factor that fails the installation?

~Don't really understand this Lynfield thingy..explain please..

Thank You

I'm using Gigabyte H55M-S2H MoBo, core i3 2.93 and a Radeon HD4670Up until now I7m not giving up on trying OSx86...(have tried on iATKOS v7 but not yet on Kalyway)

Specifically, what is the main factor that fails the installation?

~Don't really understand this Lynfield thingy..explain please..

Thank You

Apple does not yet support (if they ever will) the Clarksdale CPUs (those with the on-board video), consequently one cannot use a vanilla kernel for OSX when using one of those CPUs - you must use a modified kernel. I used the Qoopz kernel on my install, there is also a version of VooDoo that should work and possibly others I am not aware of. I have not worked with iAtkos or kalyway for some time, so I don't know if they would work on Clarksdale or not.

So, there are two 'tricks' for the install: Modified kernel and using the busratio boot flag.

Few hours ago i have just tried the iAtkios and managed to installed it, somehow, i can choose the dual boot (now using 7 ultimate x64),

but when i choose to enter the OSX...the white apple logo apeears for a while and then restarts..looping.

~The installation managed to work under the flag "toh -v"

Apple does not yet support (if they ever will) the Clarksdale CPUs (those with the on-board video), consequently one cannot use a vanilla kernel for OSX when using one of those CPUs - you must use a modified kernel. I used the Qoopz kernel on my install, there is also a version of VooDoo that should work and possibly others I am not aware of. I have not worked with iAtkos or kalyway for some time, so I don't know if they would work on Clarksdale or not.

So, there are two 'tricks' for the install: Modified kernel and using the busratio boot flag.

No reason that 10.5.x could not be installed on this board with the i3. One of the distros (iPC, OSX86, etc) should work well. One still needs a modded kernel to make it work since the vanilla OSX kernel does not recognize the Clarksdale CPU.

Dual boot on separate HDs should be relatively simple.