i7 Hackintosh Review and Guide - With Pics!

105 posts in this topic

Hi,

I would like to know where you guys buy your hardware components, I started looking at Amazon but it's very expensive.

I got mine on newegg. Seemed a little more than in Sweden on some pieces, but that was untaxed.

Anyone else have recs on wireless cards to add?

i have a ga-ex58-ud5

i7 920

6 gb corsair xms3

xfx 4890

I'm dual booting with snow leopard and win 7 x64

and noticed in "my computer"

that windows sees all 6gigs but it says (4 GB usable)

i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem?

-r15177

also, Cindori,

is your rig stable at 4Ghz?

how hot does it get with that water cooler you have on it?

Hey Cindori,

first, thanx for all your help here. its much appreciate...

and now for the problem that im having:

im using the same set up as yours <bought it after seeing this post>:

i7 920

mobo ud5

3*2 gigs corsair

4850 <i checked with you first to assure compability>

seagate HDs

my bios revision is 1.07.

now, ive done everything that your guide said. i have a macbook pro that has made the

restore of the dmg <10a432> to the drive of my hackintosh and everything looks just like you described,

untill the stage the machine is supposed to boot from the hackintosh it self and i should pick the

single user mode and command it to buildcache. at that stage i see the camelion bootloader running

after choosing boot from the drive instead of install osx <ive partitioned the HD with the second

partition as the dmg and the first partition as the sys with the installtion itself>, all the kext are loding

and everithing looks fine but when the load ends i get a strange doted view and the machine

restarts. somehow this process resets the bios to the original values also.

ive done the installtion a few times exactly as you mentioned and im getting the same results.

ive checked the installation on my macbook pro <choose the hackintosh drive as the startup disk>

to see if the installation went ok and on my macbook it boots up fine <looking for network and other

preferences> so the installation should be ok.

where do you think the problem is? is there something im missing in your install guide in order to get

it to boot from the hackintosh? should i set the partition as active in the camelion bootloader?

really sorry for the long post but im truely frustrated and clueless with this. wouldnt want to bother

you with this but....

again, thank you for your time.

AviEinZur.

ok, ive had some more tests for the reasons it restarts after choosing single user boot and loading all the kext. after choosing the specific pci slot that my GPU card is in at the bios it stopped crashing but it holds and freezes instead of giving me the option of typing buildcache after the loading is done. quote of the last part of the loading page:

singleuserboot -- fsck not done

root device is mounted read-only

if you want to make modifications to files:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

if you wish to boot the system:

exit

:/ root#

and than the freezed corsur.... cant type a thing....

PLEASE HELP!!!

and again, sorry for the mess i made to this wonderful guide...:)

Hey Cindori,

bought a usb KB, you were right, that was the problem for typing the commands.

but after the reboot i have a bios post error massage that tells me that the bios was reseted

to the defaults because of that. tried a few options in my bios choises and none of them worked.

do i need to change any more bios parameters in order to get it to work straight?

ive updated the bios ver. from 1.07 <f7> to 1.20 <f9> to match your setup as much as possible.

maybe i didnt understood your guide well- dont i need to boot the SL in the hackintosh itself and setting it up and than install the update 10.6.2 first before replacing the three files <com.apple.boot, dsdt and smbios>? or should i make the update from booting it in my macbook?

right now i dont have the dsdt file in the extra folder of the installed drive at all, as you probably know..

maybe you can refference me to a place where i can learn about this processes instead of bothering you with stuff that you allready forgotten... :( ?

sorry for all the trouble again, im trying to learn as much as i can.

EDIT: tried to put the dsdt file from your mods folder in the root extra folder so the bios will stop resetting <didnt work>, also made a complete install on my macbook including all your direction accept for the final reboot after the qe_ci update since the kexts doesnt match the macbook, that didnt work either...:) cant get the SL running on the hack...

I like this build too. Would the GA-X58A-UD5 wirk with this guide? I believe it's the same board, just with an upgraded x16 slot and no ugly orange with the blue/white color theme. :)

Have you fixed the sleep/wake/shut down kernal panic problem yet? I never sleep my PC, is this something Macs do automatically when not in use or just a feature ppl like to have?

Oh, and what about motherboard drivers? It's important to get the mobo working on a normal PC, but is this something the Mac automatically figures out?

Install method!

Download this:

http://groths.se/hackpro/guide/Mods.zip

and

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...h_Installer.zip

Set your BIOS Sata settings to AHCI

bios.JPG

First you should make an image of your install DVD. It will be quicker to use and good to have. It can be done with Disk Utility.

1.PNG

Next, restore the ISO to a empty drive.

2.PNG

When the restore is complete, you'll see this window. Close it and close disk utility.

3.PNG

Now, run the Script.

4.PNG

Select your drive

5.PNG

Select Extra

6.PNG

From the menu, select 2 (Install Bootloader)

Then select 4, PC EFI 10.5

7.PNG

When done and back at the menu, select run Retail DVD Installer

Complete the SL install

8.PNG

When done and back at the menu, select 5, Kext Installation

Keep all the settings and just type N and enter.

Now boot your hackintosh from the drive. At the bootloader menu, press Down arrow and select Single User mode. After the loading is complete, type: buildcache

and hit enter. then type reboot.

Now boot again from the drive and set up Snow Leopard.

When inside you will probably have bad resolution and other problems. We got some more stuff to take care of.

Download the Combo Update 10.6.2 from Apple

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959

Install it.

Reboot.

Open the Mods folder.

Copy the Kexts_10.6 folder to the script folder, and replace the current one.

11.PNG

Copy the three files, com.apple.boot, DSDT and smbios to the Install Drives Extra folder, located on the root.

10.PNG

Now run the script again and choose Kext Installer.

Make sure you have the same setup as this picture.

To change a item between Extra and System, simply enter the number and press enter.

When setup is the same, enter N and press Enter.

12.PNG

Now run the QE_CI update pkg. from the mods folder.

Reboot!

Congratz, now you should have a working Snow Leopard 10.6.2 install, with Sleep, Internet, Audio etc.

System can be set to boot 64 bit if you want to, but if you sleep and wake, and then try shut down you will get kernel panic. So I'm leaving that out.

64-bit kernel has no use anyway as far as I know, unless you plan to use 4GB ram for the kernel alone. 32-bit kernel can still make use of all RAM and run 64-bit apps.

When system is booting fine, remove the -v from com.apple.boot plist in Extra, use an editor like Smultron. (The -v displays all the lines of booting text)

Now you can run the script again to modify About This Mac, or the bootloader Theme.

hi,very helpful guide.but your photos and download link for mods are dead.can you please reupload them?

For everyone wanting to build an i7 920 OS X build, I would highly recommend using the Kakewalk install DVD method.

Kakewalk Install Method

And see this post for GA-EX58-UD5.

Using the Kakewalk method and the DSDT mods from "GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications, lower CPU temperatures, turbo plus one clock ratio, sleep, etcetera" by d00d.

I have a completely working install, EVERYTHING works with only two kexts. The Realtek network card kext (included in the Kakewalk install method) in System/Library/Extensions and fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions

along with the basics (DSDT.aml, smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist)

For everyone wanting to build an i7 920 OS X build, I would highly recommend using the Kakewalk install DVD method.

Kakewalk Install Method

And see this post for GA-EX58-UD5.

Using the Kakewalk method and the DSDT mods from "GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications, lower CPU temperatures, turbo plus one clock ratio, sleep, etcetera" by d00d.

I have a completely working install, EVERYTHING works with only two kexts. The Realtek network card kext (included in the Kakewalk install method) in System/Library/Extensions and fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions

along with the basics (DSDT.aml, smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist)

- Swhay -

Thanks for your Extra folder. Everything DOES work! I've modified my Kakewalk install accordingly.

See my post here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1419599

And here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1419615

they seem to work for me.

I have sold the computer so I will not be able to give much support.

my guide is good if you know how to follow it, I recommend you to read and understand this thread if you have problems.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Hi Cindori

Somehoe the pics of your guide are all gone! could you restore them?

Regards

Vlax

I have sold the computer so I will not be able to give much support.

I hope you got a good price for it! Any plans for a future project?

Thanks for the guide / notes; am hoping to get started on a build of my own soon. If you get a chance to update those pics, that would be awesome.

Hi folks

I restored the pictures!

The money I got for the hack was equal to the price I payed for the parts.

I sold the computer because I had a 2006 Mac Pro that I was gonna keep using instead.

However now Mac is starting to fall apart so, I will buy the 2010 Mac Pro releasing soon.

another reason for keeping Mac was because I want to continue developing a GPU Flashing Tool for OSX. you can read about that and my other projects at my blog,

http://groths.org

thanks.