NTFS drives not recognised at all

17 posts in this topic

Hi All - first post here as I've not had a snitch of a problem with my Asus P5WD2 Premium following the (excellent) workarounds posted here, bar this one!

It seems that MacOS will not recognise attached NTFS partitions at all (I know that they should mount read-only, but that doesn't bother me). Basically when I boot the first (NTFS) partition is just not listed in OS X. It's definitely not hidden in the Acronis Boot loader. Similarly, when I plug-in an external NTFS formatted 1394 or USB disk, it gives me the "The Disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" message :-(

Definitely both are standard NTFS formatted in Win XP Pro 32-bit (not that it should make a difference)

I can understand that there are various reasons (probably Acronis) that the first partition of the boot drive might not be visible, but the 1394 drive problem makes no sense at all.

Any thoughts? I've searched (fairly) thoroughly, but thought this would probably have been a problem for more people.. Only me?

Cheers !

The Bore

Couple of things to try,

Have a look in Disk Utility, does it show up at all? Try maually mounting it from here if it does

another thing is to try it on a differnt system does it mount?

Try these and we can go from there

Couple of things to try,

Have a look in Disk Utility, does it show up at all? Try maually mounting it from here if it does

another thing is to try it on a differnt system does it mount?

Try these and we can go from there

It does indeed show in the Disk Utility as an NTFS disk, and also fails to mount from there - I choose mount and it just beach-balls for a second and then nothing happens.

It's not just one disk either, no NTFS partitions will mount at all.

All NTFS drives mount succesfully on my Blue + White G3 running 10.4.6 PPC version.. Any thoughts?

Will it mount from the command line? I have mounting issues like you describe but they will mount from the command line. Try this from terminal:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/WINDOWS

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/WINDOWS

(Look in Disk Utility to see what to use for your NTFS partition, where I use "disk0s1")

If it mounts successfully, you will get no response, and it will show in finder. Navigate to it, and it will add to the drives on your desktop desktop. If you get an error message instead, post the message here and maybe we can get some useful info from that.

If the above works, you can add the 2 lines to the file /etc/rc.local and they will get run for you each time you boot. In that file, you don't need the sudo part for the commands, so it would just be:

mkdir /Volumes/WINDOWS

mount -t ntfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/WINDOWS

(with the correct "disk0s1" for you)

The partiton should be on your dektop when booting is completed.

If you have more than one, and this works, I would guess that you just include a set of commands for each one, each with their own mount point name (WINDOWS1, WINDOWS2, . . .) and partition designation (disk0s1, disk1s1, . . .).

Very curious! I can mount them succesfully using the console, and then I can access them via Volumes/diskname using console commands, but they still don't pop up on the desktop as mounted volumes - Does anyone know the command-line for creating SymLinks? Then I can presumably just throw those onto the desktop. V strange though!

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem!

It all worked perfectly during the first weeks. OS X read all my NTFS partitions.

Now two of my NTFS partitions won't be mounted, but the third NTFS drive still works. I ran chkdsk and defrag on the two disks, but no difference.

I don't understand why this happened!

The console commands recommended by jrrjrr is a quick solution, but I'm not satisfied. I don't want to open Terminal every time I boot!

Isn't there a better solution? I mean, it was all perfect earlier!?! :(

(I had JaS 10.4.6 Intel, installed the JaS 10.4.7 upgrade to see if it made any difference. But it didn't :( )

I have the exact same problem!

It all worked perfectly during the first weeks. OS X read all my NTFS partitions.

Now two of my NTFS partitions won't be mounted, but the third NTFS drive still works. I ran chkdsk and defrag on the two disks, but no difference.

I don't understand why this happened!

The console commands recommended by jrrjrr is a quick solution, but I'm not satisfied. I don't want to open Terminal every time I boot!

Isn't there a better solution? I mean, it was all perfect earlier!?! :P

(I had JaS 10.4.6 Intel, installed the JaS 10.4.7 upgrade to see if it made any difference. But it didn't :D )

jrrjrr clearly spells out for you how to make these changes persistent.

If the above works, you can add the 2 lines to the file /etc/rc.local and they will get run for you each time you boot. In that file, you don't need the sudo part for the commands, so it would just be:

mkdir /Volumes/WINDOWS

Thanks! I guess I was to upset to notify that sentence. :D

NP - I am also dissastisfied with this solution - It should be able to be mounted @ startup via /etc/fstab. Once I have my OSX86 installation complete (Waiting on hardware) I will adderss this in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

mkdir /Volumes/WINDOWS

I haven't got any rc.local

In /etc/ there is:

rc

rc.common

rc.netboot

rc.shutdown

Should I create rc.local and type in these two lines?

Or add them to rc?

• 3 weeks later...
NTFS cant run on MAC OS is can read but not write MAC oS only can detect FAT32 can read and write

It's hard to understand what you're saying. :)

But I can tell you it's working fine now. I created rc.local and OS X is reading my NTFS drives. Just like it used to earlier.