help with Intel GMA 965 (X3100) on Snowleopard

Neo Toxin

36 posts in this topic

Ok, so I recently obtained a laptop from a friend it is a Acer Aspire 5920(not to be confused with the same model that has a nvidia card) I got my hands on a copy of the retail Snow leopard disk and installed it from a flash drive by following This Tutorial. Everything seems to be working ok so far except i cannot get my graphics card working!! Like the title says its a Mobile Intel GM965 Express chipset with with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100.

Ive tried installing a new kext with no luck. i even removed all of the GMA950 kexts from my system just in case they were conflicting. I cannot figure this out. and the most irritating part is, I keep hearing that this card should work out of the box.

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.0, as far as i know im running in 64-bit mode. Ive also heard that it might work if I run the system in 32-bit mode, but this is the first time i have ever used chameleon boot loader and unlike the Darwin boot loader, i don't know where to enter the "-x32" flag. it just has options for verbose, single user, and ignore cache.

any help would be greatly appreciated!! :P

If you update to 10.6.2, X3100 drivers are installed. If your laptop can handle those default drivers, that's all you need to do. My modded Acer Extensa 5620 unfortunately cannot handle those drivers (or apparently any stock AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext, even 10.5.8's)..

The drivers you installed may need 32-bit mode. To test this, once you are in the Chameleon boot loader with your SL driver selected, just type (it will appear in the bottom left):

-v arch=i386

Then hit enter. That should boot SL into 32-bit mode. For a permanent change, you'd need to add that flag to your boot.plist.

I have a Dell M1330 with the same card, i have it running nicely on 10.6.2, but i have to use the "sleep-corner" trick to get it to work. Apparently, if you use a DSDT patch, you can eliminate this problem. Still working on it, I'll post here when I get it to work. (The problem, as I understand it, is that the card defaults to the CRT0 output instead of the LCD, this behavior can be changed by commenting out the CRT section in the DSDT.)

Hi Psygoat,

I own the same damn card and the same problem but tried every solutions without results... :rolleyes:

Can you describe how can we solve this problem using Snow Leo 10.6.2 ?

Thanx in advance

I have a Dell M1330 with the same card, i have it running nicely on 10.6.2, but i have to use the "sleep-corner" trick to get it to work. Apparently, if you use a DSDT patch, you can eliminate this problem. Still working on it, I'll post here when I get it to work. (The problem, as I understand it, is that the card defaults to the CRT0 output instead of the LCD, this behavior can be changed by commenting out the CRT section in the DSDT.)

i've got it fixed :D

i found a method for patching the DSDT originally authored by vaag, ill post it here. Display works flawlessly now. very happy about that :)

After a lot of fiddeling around with different kexts and EFI strings, I finally found a solution for my non-working laptop LCD screen: using an alternative DSDT ("bios override"). Based on the great work by mackerintel and fassl!

Chameleon with DSDT override

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757

DSDT Patcher, a tool to fix your DSDT

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683

Howto?

1. Install OSX 10.5.4 (haven't tested this with other versions then iAtkos)

2. Remove default display & framebuffer kexts and install A.J.Allen's kexts ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=956250 )

3. Connect external monitor and reboot

4. Upon reboot your LCD display will remain black (non-working) and your external monitor will work in full res with QE and CI.

5. Install the latest chameleon ( hxxp://chameleon.osx86.hu/ ) per the instructions in the tar.gz file (1.0.11)

6. Replace /boot with the DSDT override boot (rename chameleon to boot) from mackerintel ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757 ).

7. Reboot your "mac" - you should see the new DSDT Chameleon booter with build date 2008-10-25 23:02:35

8. Everything still working? Ok!

DSDT

9. Grab the DSDT patcher by fassl ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683 ). Version 1.0.1d by the time of writing.

10. Doubleclick the DSDT Patcher file.

11. Open the dsdt_fixed.txt file in the debug folder.

12a. Find all lines containing AGP. Remove them (4)

12b. Remove the entire Device (AGP) declaration (around 214 lines)

12c. Remove the Scope(\_SB.PCI0.AGP) declaration (around 33 lines)

12d. Remove the vid2 declaration (a few lines)

12e. Under Device(VID) remove the Device(TV) dec (24)

12f. Under Device(VID) remove the Device(CRT) dec (24)

12g. Under Device(VID) remove the Device(DVI) dec (24)

13. Compile the new DSDT file using ../Tools/iasl -ta dsdt_fixed.txt

14. Copy the new DSDT file to the filesystem root using sudo cp dsdt.aml /

15. Reboot & enjoy!

Working:

- LCD display

- Resolution switching

- Some Fn-keys (brightness!)

Not (yet) working:

- sleep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Not tested:

- Reliability...

This is just a first try and perhaps a little hacky, but hey - it's working! I used a Dell D530 but, as fassl suggested, this solution should also work on VAIO's and other laptops. Please try and report your findings in the comments.

• 2 months later...

i found a method for patching the DSDT originally authored by vaag, ill post it here. Display works flawlessly now. very happy about that ;)

This technique worked flawlessly on a Dell Vostro 1500, 0x02 0x000c Rom, using Chameleon 10.6 for SL 10.6.2. This fixes the Sleep issue and appears to be the final fix in along line of Dell Video issues. Patching the DSDT.aml really isn't that tough...I used EVO's SMTME utility.

• 1 month later...
This technique worked flawlessly on a Dell Vostro 1500, 0x02 0x000c Rom, using Chameleon 10.6 for SL 10.6.2. This fixes the Sleep issue and appears to be the final fix in along line of Dell Video issues. Patching the DSDT.aml really isn't that tough...I used EVO's SMTME utility.

Hello,

I am running a Dell XPS 1330 with Chameleon 2.0 RC4 and SL 10.6.3. The problem is, that I do not have the native resolution with the onboard X3100 and the internal display. I run at 1024x768 instead of 1280x800. What do I have to do to solve this problem?

- Is your solution above still the right way to get the right resolution?

- Do I need the DSDT override boot or does Chameleon 2.0 RC4 still has such a function?

- Do I need the kext from A.J. Allen instead of the default display and framebuffer kexts? If so, could you please give me a working link?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I am running a Dell XPS 1330 with Chameleon 2.0 RC4 and SL 10.6.3. The problem is, that I do not have the native resolution with the onboard X3100 and the internal display. I run at 1024x768 instead of 1280x800. What do I have to do to solve this problem?

- Is your solution above still the right way to get the right resolution?

- Do I need the DSDT override boot or does Chameleon 2.0 RC4 still has such a function?

- Do I need the kext from A.J. Allen instead of the default display and framebuffer kexts? If so, could you please give me a working link?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Michael

You should follow the directions given on this thread. Also you need to restore back all the AppleIntel*.* video kexts from 10.6.2 since the ones from 10.6.3 not longer support 64 bit, keep that in mind.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I run 10.6.3 on a dell inspiron 1525 with X3100. My screen is 1440*900, but i can't select anything else than 1280*800.

I thing my GMA work in 2D mode, but not in 3D : dock and windows annimation works great, but chess lag.

I installed OSX with method here : http://antyalias.wordpress.com/2009/10/03/...gle-usb-method/.

I didn't install Chameleon on MBR, and alwas boot from the boot132 disk, and choose my "Mac Hd" (i prefere to keep grub).

Have you a solution for this problem ?

Thanks

EDIT : Works adding "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" at boot !

• 1 month later...
i've got it fixed :P

i found a method for patching the DSDT originally authored by vaag, ill post it here. Display works flawlessly now. very happy about that :)

I followed the instructions used by vaag's tutorial, however I have a small problem.

Once I replace Chameleon with the modified Boot, 10.6.2 will no longer boot. I have no problems booting into 10.5.8, and the tutorial completely fixed my X3100 problems under Leopard.

I used a recompiled DSDT.aml (again, following the instructions). I have no issues with 10.5.8.

In fact, the DSDT that I compiled works great with 10.6.2 and the default Chameleon (latest version), but once I replace the modded "boot" it will no longer start, it just hangs after loading the mach_kernel. Also, I seem to have no 3D effects under the latest Chameleon build.

Does anyone have any ideas?

**EDIT**

Solved this one myself. Since I started losing track of bootloader/dsdt combinations, I decided to reinstall. After install, and still in 10.5.8, I copied the DSDT.aml that I compiled before onto my Snow Leopard partition. I left the bootloader intact, as installed by SnowOSX. I restarted, booted into SL, and bingo, video with 3D enabled.

All fixed. Now I just need to figure out how to apply combo updates to 10.6.4 without video issues...

**EDIT**

And I applied the 10.6.4 Combo Update without issue. I still have 3D effects and I didn't have to hack anything after the update. Perfect! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I was hoping you could help me install snow leopard on my xp m1330 with on board graphics..

there are so many loaders ive tried and always come across kernel panics…could you please let me know what method you used??i will attempt to use your dsdt

thanks in advance

I just followed Superhai's guide Snow Leopard install guide on another forum and just had to use the DSDT mod for the graphics.

You can do a google search on "Superhai Dell XPS M1330 guide" and you should be good to go.

I used Superhai's DellSnow boot cd ( v0.5) http://www.superhai.com/boot-test.html

and Snow Leo retail disk (10.6.3)

You may need an external monitor for Install and the first boot. Once you have the DSDT thing figured out, you should be good to go.

Looks like V0.4 version of superhai is what worked for me (didnt need an external monitor either) i used your DSDT. My only problems are Sound and Trackpad has no options for tap to click or tap to drag... Did you get either of these working?? Ive tried different Kext files with no luch.... BTW does anyone know of sometime of Kext Manager to view and delete kext that are installed???

• 2 weeks later...

Install VoodooHDA.kext and ApplePS2*kext from /Extra folder with KextHelper, remove them from the Extra folder, run KextUtility.

After boot, you should have sound working. For some reason VoodooHDA doesn't work out of the Extra folder.

Also, to get trackpad "tapping" work, select ApplePS2Controller.kext under /S/L/E , Show Content , remove Apple..Trackpad.kext , run KextUtility, reboot. Tapping should work now.

Worked for me too XPS M1330 with GMA X3100 .. Just updated to 10.6.4 without any issues.

Here is my modded DSDT

So will Dsdt work with my acer aspire 4720z with snow leopard? my acer has a Intel GMA 965 x3100. if so... do I need any other kexts after i use yours? or will the default kexts work fine????

please tell!

post-472754-1281615284_thumb.pngAcer Aspire 5715z

Working GMA X3100 with distro from iatkos s2 v3 10.6.3

select :

on chameleon enable graphics

on drivers -> Intel -> x3100 -> framebuffer (32Bits)

And voila ......we have graphics enabled :)

:)

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

ROM Revision: OpenGL Engine activated via EFI String

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

post-472754-1281615285_thumb.png

hey does QE/CI work on Intel 965 chipset??

pls post a link which gives the procedure.

i found a method for patching the DSDT originally authored by vaag, ill post it here. Display works flawlessly now. very happy about that :P

does QE/CI work?

i've got it fixed ;)

i found a method for patching the DSDT originally authored by vaag, ill post it here. Display works flawlessly now. very happy about that :P

thx for the method,,,work for me too

i use dell vostro

• 3 weeks later...

Please Help me! I have a Vaio VGN nr948d with the 965 GMA X3100 and i have been searching for the right method to get it working and all i can get ts a 1024x768 res without expanding this leads to a duplicated task bar in the lower side and black to the right!

I know you could get it work! but you dont mention the method or kexts you used to make it work in first place! please help, im a newbie in this :(

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Was hoping you could provide some assistance. I've tried following the instructions you posted originally by Vaag but can't seem to get the last 2 points done.

13. Compile the new DSDT file using ../Tools/iasl -ta dsdt_fixed.txt

14. Copy the new DSDT file to the filesystem root using sudo cp dsdt.aml /

15. Reboot & enjoy!

I modded the DSDT file (removed the entries), then went to terminal: -

cd /tools

iasl -ta dsdt_fixed.txt

command not found

Can you help with this bit before I go a bit further.

At the moment i'm using the sleep trick to get it working and it works fine other than the initial bootup problem on a D630. Installed using iAtkos 10.6.3.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Amj

Hey Dude,

Can u suggest me the OS X Distro which is compatible for my xps m1330. Is the wifi working correctly on the snow? Please let me know the details regarding the issue...

Thanks a ton...