GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Here are the new logs and interestingly it appears that iStat Server/DiskTool.app is called each time a disk mounts and unmounts...

Hmmmm... ?? <_<

Hmmmm indeed. What incarnation of iStat are you using? The widget, the menu, other? I don't see these message in my console with the menu version.

Hmmmm indeed. What incarnation of iStat are you using? The widget, the menu, other? I don't see these message in my console with the menu version.

iStat Menus 3

http://bjango.com/apps/istatmenus/

And iStat Server for remote monitoring on the iPhone

http://bjango.com/apps/istat/

I installed the free server app some time ago and forgot about it until now.

:rolleyes: Help dood,

I have eliminated from Extension the kext Applecpupowermangement and GeekBench is salted to score 14.000, while before with the kext score made 8000,because?

This kext is indispensable?

Help me please..thank's

I've cpu overclocked at 4,5Ghz ,Xeon 3540.

magnifico10, d00d indicates in post#1 that the kext can be removed. (Lower CPU Temperatures using native power management without NullCPUPowermanagement.kext)

d00d, Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I read the entire thread and been studying it for a little while.

I appreciate the dsdt fixes. Using aGA-EX58A-U3DR Rev1.0 f3 Bios. (more specs in my signature)

After dsdt modifications my xbench and geekbench scores went up and my cpu temps went down by 10C.

Now sleep works too! Awesome.

I am newbie so I have a few questions.

I could not locate the ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext on my system. (is openhaltrestart.kext the equivalent?)

Is that a kext that needs to be removed after the dsdt modifications?

Currently in /E/E ->

fakesmc (using for istat menus)

framebufferdisabler

legacyappleRTC_32bit_only

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

any of these kexts not needed? (like framebufferdisabler or legacyappleRTC_32bit_only )

for insight on what I am using now:

I am currently using kexts for audio (voodoohda) and ethernet (realtekR1000). Going to give the audio and ethernet tips another shot later. I was not able to get RealtekR1000SL.kext to work. (In network status, showed as ethernet cable unplugged) and using IOACHIBLockstorageInjector.kext for orange drive.

Thanks for your time.

magnifico10, d00d indicates in post#1 that the kext can be removed. (Lower CPU Temperatures using native power management without NullCPUPowermanagement.kext)

d00d, Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I read the entire thread and been studying it for a little while.

I appreciate the dsdt fixes. Using aGA-EX58A-U3DR Rev1.0 f3 Bios. (more specs in my signature)

After dsdt modifications my xbench and geekbench scores went up and my cpu temps went down by 10C.

Now sleep works too! Awesome.

I am newbie so I have a few questions.

I could not locate the ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext on my system. (is openhaltrestart.kext the equivalent?)

Is that a kext that needs to be removed after the dsdt modifications?

Currently in /E/E ->

fakesmc (using for istat menus)

framebufferdisabler

legacyappleRTC_32bit_only

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

any of these kexts not needed? (like framebufferdisabler or legacyappleRTC_32bit_only )

for insight on what I am using now:

I am currently using kexts for audio (voodoohda) and ethernet (realtekR1000). Going to give the audio and ethernet tips another shot later. I was not able to get RealtekR1000SL.kext to work. (In network status, showed as ethernet cable unplugged) and using IOACHIBLockstorageInjector.kext for orange drive.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks, ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext does the same thing as item 3 in post 1, and I assume legacyappleRTC_32bit_only does the same thing.

None of those kexts are needed except for fakesmc.kext.

Hi all,

Great work all those contributing... I'm loving my Hack.

Just wondering if anyone has got "Wake for network access" or "Wake for Ethernet network access" working?

WOL/WOMP work beautifully, and changing my BT USB adapter to a Trust 2400P means my Magic Mouse works at treat after wake (including scrolling).

Everything works, but I'd love to enable the wake on access feature (I run a service on the Hack but access it remotely).

Sorry if the question's been answered already, but I can't find much on this.

Cheers

Scott

Hi all,

Great work all those contributing... I'm loving my Hack.

Just wondering if anyone has got "Wake for network access" or "Wake for Ethernet network access" working?

WOL/WOMP work beautifully, and changing my BT USB adapter to a Trust 2400P means my Magic Mouse works at treat after wake (including scrolling).

Everything works, but I'd love to enable the wake on access feature (I run a service on the Hack but access it remotely).

Sorry if the question's been answered already, but I can't find much on this.

Cheers

Scott

WOL works with Bit Shoveler's Bonjour RealtekR1000SL.kext, but womp won't be seen with pmset, and `Wake for Ethernet network access' won't be seen in Energy Saver.

im not sure if i should attempt this or if my mobo is compatible.

i have the latest ga-ex58a-ud3r (rev 2.0). used kakewalk 2.2 to install and the only thing not working is sleep... will this procedure fix this?

lame question - yes - but im getting desperate :D the first posts has sooo much info and skimming through it has gone right over my head. but before i invest a day in going through it bit by bit, just checking if it's even worth it for my setup or not

Phorte - I also have the rev 2.0 board and though kakewalk says it's supported, there's no indication of which revision, so I assumed 1.0 (as it's been out there longer).

When I tried the Kakewalk method, selecting the ex58a-ud3r, I always was missing the "boot" file (never got created). I finally gave up and selected the ex58-ud5, which did manage to boot my board (though no sound or network).

Did you use the USB or CD method with kakewalk?

Phorte - I also have the rev 2.0 board and though kakewalk says it's supported, there's no indication of which revision, so I assumed 1.0 (as it's been out there longer).

When I tried the Kakewalk method, selecting the ex58a-ud3r, I always was missing the "boot" file (never got created). I finally gave up and selected the ex58-ud5, which did manage to boot my board (though no sound or network).

Did you use the USB or CD method with kakewalk?

There's no such thing as a GA-EX58A, it's either a GA-EX58 or a GA-X58A.

Please don't help to perpetuate this misnaming, it only creates more confusion.

There's nothing magical about rev. 2.0 of these MBs.

The DSDT modifications in this topic will give you sleep.

Audio will work for you using VoodooHDA or aschar1's instructions in post 619.

As for how to install the OS in the first place, one way is to buy a retail copy of OS X, create a boot CD, and install from there.

See the first link for digital_dreamer's topic.

If you have an Apple hardware Mac, you can install without a boot CD and move the drive to your Gigabyte hardware afterwards.

Installing Snow Leopard on Gigabyte X58 boards with Boot 132 CD aka Empire EFI and Snow Leopard Retail DVD (the one for 29 $)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?izymwzmmhyy

This is my new Empire Efi Boot CD.

It needs SATA HDD and DVD. Its based on asere chameleon 1.1.9. Included is in the post-installlation folder DSDTSE DSDT Editor and newest myhack installer final 1.02 (mbr modd for snow leopard DVD works with 10.6.3 DVD now) and my Extra folder including my dsdt.aml - this dsdt.aml is only for Ga EX 58 UD5 Bios F12 with Core i7 920 CPU. Warning! If you have different Mobo, Bios or Cpu dont use the dsdt.aml and build yours according to doods guide you can look at mine to compare.

Install Instructions. Burn the iso at slow speed. In Bios Options make sure you have AHCI enabled at your Intel SATA Controller - Integrated Peripherals - SATA RAID/AHCI Mode set to AHCI. Check that your HDD and DVD are connected to the blue SATA Ports. Set HPET -Powermangement Setup to 64bit. Change boot prority to boot from CD first.

Boot from the Empire Efi CD - wait 30 seconds after you see the logo- then change the CD to Snow Leopard DVD - wait 30 seconds again - then press F5. you will see CD changed to MAC OS Install DVD- then press Enter.

After selecting your language go to Utilities- Disk Utility in the upper Menu.

With disk utility repartition your harddrive to GUID -advanced Options and name your Volume to something simple without spaces. Format option leave the default osx option - Then click Apply. Now close disk utility and go on with your installation.

After install finished reboot with the Empire EFI CD this time select your SNOW Volume. After it booted to the desktop go to the Post-Installation Folder of them Empire Efi CD and copy myhack installer.pkg to your snow volume and double click it. Run it with default options. Now Reboot and remove the Empire EFI CD.

Myhack installs pfix script - to repair Permissions and rebuild kextcaches. you need to run it every time you remove add or change a kext. To run it open Terminal.app in Utilites Folder and simply type pfix and then press Enter. Let pfix run till it says it finished can takes some minutes- then reboot

If you have the same mobo as mine GA EX 58 UD5 updated with Bios F12 and Core i7 920 CPU you can simply replace the files in your /Extra Folder with mine that are on the Empire EFI CD under post-installation (leave the Themes folder there) then run pfix in Terminal.

Fakesmc 2.6.2 with monitoring Fans-Cpu Voltage- CPU-Heatsink and Northbridge Temp.

Mozodojo, Slice and usr-sse2 started a very nice new project using fakesmc.kext version 2.5 by netkas to monitor further Hardware.

Source http://www.assembla.com/code/fakesmc/subversion/nodes

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...ic=1206&hl=

you need to install istat pro or istat menus app to monitor.

i compiled source rev 115 and changed it to work with our boards.

Warning: if you are not familiar with terminal this kext is not for you. If you not follow the install instructions by word you get a kernel panic. This fakesmc.kext cant load unlike previous versions from /Extra it needs to be installed in /System/Library/Extensions and you need to remove all Cache Files in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches Folder before you reboot.

1. Remove old fakesmc.kext from /Extra/Extensions or System/Library/Extensions and place new fakesmc.kext in /System/Library/Extensions

2. Open Terminal and type the following commands

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*

3. Reboot with -f bootflag

4. you can edit the name of the fans in info.plist of fakesmc.kext according to your setup. Remember you need to run the previous 3 last commands in terminal even if you only changed the plist - it will kernel panic otherwise.

Nvidia Gpu Temp doesnt work yet with gtx2xx cards. It needs implementation of i2c bus.

post-225266-1275820466_thumb.jpg

fakesmc2.6.2_monitoring_rev115_.zip

Nice work aschar1 and all the others involved in this project.

It shows speedstepping at work. CPU A Voltage differentials at idle and full load:

post-204913-1275833187_thumb.jpg

My Corsair H50 CPU water cooler's pump is connected to the power fan header and is set to run at max speed in the BIOS. The push pull radiator fans along with the case fans are hardwired into the PSU and are always at 100% as they are silent fans.

I am getting nvidia error messages on startup. not surprisingly caused by my lack of nvidia hardware :P Is it ok to remove the fakesmc nvidia plugin components as I'm running an ATI 4870.

Fakesmc 2.6.2

1. sure you can remove the nvidia plugin but do all the steps in terminal again after removing it. The Errors you mentioned are no Errors. The kext works in debug mode and just scans for the nvidida and cant find one.

2. -f is only needed at first boot if you followed my advice and did all terminal commands correctly - it makes sure that no caches are loaded even if you deleted them - osx kextd tries to rebuild it.

WOL works with Bit Shoveler's Bonjour RealtekR1000SL.kext, but womp won't be seen with pmset, and `Wake for Ethernet network access' won't be seen in Energy Saver.

Hi d00d.

You're right about WOMP/WOL working, but WFNA (Wake for Network Access) isn't. This is slightly more complicated than WOMP/WOL... The server (the hackintosh) advertises its bonjour services as it normally would, but on a LAN with a Bonjour Sleep Proxy (Airport, TimeMachine), these services are recorded and cached.

When the server shuts down, it withdraws the bonjour advertisements, but when it sleeps, it is not meant to withdraw them.

The BSP then acts as a proxy for the server, periodically re-advertising the services, as well as responding to ARPs on behalf of the server.

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know...wink_anim.gif

I can confirm that my Airport Express (running as a BSP) is doing it's job: my old hackintosh (GA-965P-DS3P with a Marvell Yukon GigE) and my MacBook Pro both work fine - ie when they are asleep and I try to access them (their entries remain in the Finder Sidebar for example), they wake up and I can browse them.

When I debug Bonjour using the avahi-daemon tools (or mDNS on OSX), when my GA-EX58-UD5 sleeps I see all of its services withdrawn ('deleted' according to avahi).

One difference I noticed between the Info.PList files of the Realtek and the Yukon kexts is the a key which mentions LowPower (I don't have access to OSX at the mo so I can't see the actual key). I added the same entry to the Realtek plist but no dice - probably because the driver isn't looking for it.

I've also tried using my FreeBSD box to advertise an entry on behalf of the OSX server, but no dice either. Probably because I created the advertisement incorrectly - I notice that the client never received an ARP reply for the sleeping OSX. Even when I added a static ARP still no dice...)

Anyhoo, if you had any ideas, that'd be great. Or perhaps recommend a good PCI-E ethernet card that works without the extra Kext?

Thanks d00d and anyone else who may be reading!

Scott

:( Hi dood,help me please,i'm confused.

Why my cpu Intel xeon 3540 overclocked @ 4,5 Ghz...in system profiler ...read 4,3 Ghz ?

And why Geekbench ,with Apple Cpu Power Management in the S/L/E ,it has a small result?

While, without Apple Cpu Power Management in the S/L/E...the result is high ?

Help ..please..thanks..and sorry for my bad english.. ;)

You need a my DSDT ??? :D

post-410253-1275900105_thumb.png

post-410253-1275900117_thumb.png

i have an airport extreme and i can even wake up my hack when its shutdown over ethernet. Snow Leopard uses slightly different methods for wod as Leo.

This works with Squeezebox server or just my macbook pro.

If you want a 100% working Nic get a Netgear GA 311 Pci Nic works oob without any modded kexts with all Services.

i have an airport extreme and i can even wake up my hack when its shutdown over ethernet. Snow Leopard uses slightly different methods for wod as Leo.

This works with Squeezebox server or just my macbook pro.

If you want a 100% working Nic get a Netgear GA 311 Pci Nic works oob without any modded kexts with all Services.

Hi Ashcar1,

WOL/WOMP works perfectly for me - from a sleeping or shutdown state. It's Wake for Network Access, which relies on a Bonjour Sleep Proxy which isn't working.

Maybe the Netgear is the answer - for 30 bucks (AUD) it's worth a go I guess.

Thanks

Scott

You can still use Magic Packets for wake on lan (the leo feature) on a snow install with this program http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/41...tml?expand=true.

Thanks Aschar,

as I said: I know it works with WOL and WOMP (Magic Packet). Not working with Wake for Network is, I believe, a limitation in the current driver (not discounting the great work that has gone into writing it).

If you check the Power Plane using ioreg -P IOPower you'll see something like:

+-o com_chucko_RealtekR1000 <class com_chucko_RealtekR1000, id 0x10000035a, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0 (48 ms), retain 6>

That fact that it's not registered or matched is a concern.

Scott

:rolleyes: Hi dood,help me please,i'm confused.

Why my cpu Intel xeon 3540 overclocked @ 4,5 Ghz...in system profiler ...read 4,3 Ghz ?

And why Geekbench ,with Apple Cpu Power Management in the S/L/E ,it has a small result?

Help ..please..thanks..and sorry for my bad english.. :D

Dood???

Fakesmc 2.6.2 with monitoring Fans-Cpu Voltage- CPU-Heatsink and Northbridge Temp.

Thanks for this and the boot CD information.

The fakesmc works for me in both iSTAT and Temperature Monitor, but only three of six fans show up, and as expected no temperature shows for the GPU.

I notice that the latest is rev. 126.

:rolleyes: Hi dood,help me please,i'm confused.

Help ..please..thanks..and sorry for my bad english.. :D

Assuming you haven't hard coded the speed in smbios.plist, the reason could be that the System Profiler misreads it in 32 bit boot, but in 64 bit it's accurate.

I don't know why your Geekbench is low with native power management, mine is 14725 with 64 bit boot at 4.1GHz with turbo.

aschar1, Awesome work from you and the group.

Got the new fakesmc in and working great. Its nice to see the speed stepping working with the voltages.

Just a few questions, whats the CPU heat sink vs the CPU's individually? Just another monitor?

Also kinda what d00d said, any way to add fans to the lists, I'm gonna assume adding them in the info.plist is the way but any idea which fans are which on the board?

Great work so far I'm looking forward to seeing the final product if this is just the work in progress.