VIA VT1708S 5.1 in 10.6

nozz93

72 posts in this topic

Hehe solved thanks to Leichenfresser who put me on the right track. My sound works with the menu slider and keyboard slider working. Steps Below.

Slow way (but definitely works):

1) Go here http://osx86.net/f7/volume-control-issue-t6092/ and do post #5

- This will get your menu slider moving (but volume doesnt change). Dont worry one step at a time.

2) Go here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...83321&st=40 and install the voodoohda.kext from post #58

- Now your menu slider completely works and your volume is changeable

3) go here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...83321&st=40 and do post #126

- This will fix your keyboard's volume controls among probably many other things as-well.

or,

Fast way (shoud work - somone please test it for me):

1. open marvins amd utility

2. enter password

3. select create patcher package

4. browse /system/library

5. run

6. goto the 'amd.patch.folder' on your desktop and copy 'patches' folder to the root of your HD

7. restart the computer and boot into single user mode by typing -s (tap tab twice when you see the bootloader/lizard). Enter the below commands

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /patches/

./replace.sh

./patcher ./cpuid.txt

reboot

8. Install the attached modified voodoohda 2.61 kext which correctly links pcm to volume

Thats it, let me know if it works for you guys.

I dont know if the attached voodoohda kext has all the features from the previous posts but its the only one that allows volume adjustment. Feel free to modify the attached voodoohda further if need be.

Okay, I have tried a wide variety of things to try to make my volume controls work, and this sounds like a good way to go. However, I'm not running an AMD processor. Am I correct in assuming using these patches will bomb my install?

And how do you that? Do you need to use marvins amd utility?

1. Use the Marvin Utility to create a Patcher Package for /System/Library/ folder.

2. Edit patches/cpuid.txt and remove all lines regarding files stored in /System/Library/Extensions and lines regarding FrontRow.app

3. Copy patches folder to the root folder of your Snow Leopard Partition.

4. Boot into Darwin Mode using -s Bootflag, get writing permission using "mount -uw /" then go to patches folder, and run the replace script & the patcher app:

cd /patches/

./replace.sh

./patcher ./cpuid.txt

Soryy for bumping , but

None of the kexts Works, when i use the from Dan chip5, i get a Kernel Panik..

So only azaila Works for me, when i Patch with AMD Utility, the Menü bar Works, but only max or no Volume...

So, when i deinstall Azalia and use the first kext i get 3 unknow Outputs, but None gives me Sound ...

The First custom doesnt does anything. The Second where He is speaking abou applehda only gives me a Noise .. So what now?

I have Ubuntu, should i dump something or so?

• 2 weeks later...

Try the fast method. Also repair your permissions/cache with pfix. If my voodoohda.kext doesnt work, keep trying different ones until it does. Thast what I did.

I have sound, menu slider, change in volume, all working on my vt1708s

Amd Mainboard m4a78l-m

Snow leopard 10.6.4

• 2 weeks later...
what about the volume problem with vt1708s that you can't lower the output volume? anybody found a solution on that?

Hi,

Another possible solution for this problem - if you have a stereo sound system, use the VoodooHDA.kext by nevets0291 (attached), then plug your sound system into the black line out and select the it as standard output device.

This way you will be able to lower your volume.

Works for my P5Q SE2 which also has the VT1708S audio.

Don't know if it makes any difference, but as i am running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 in 64 Bit mode, i am using the VoodooHDA preference pane from here: http://www.box.net/shared/j2a6arm60b

Sorry for my bad english :)

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

I need some help with the sound driver.

I have installed VoodooHDA.kext from this topic and edited sound card VEN (1106) and DEV(0397) :

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x03971106</string>

and still don't have any output sound device.

When I click About this MAC and go to Audio(build in) it says No Buit-in Audio.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 2.9 GHz

Asus M4A78LT-M

2 GB DDR RAM

Asus GT220 1GB video card.

Appreciate your help.

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Hello

Ive a Asus P7P55 LX with the VIA® VT1708S Onboard Sound Chip. i really need 5.1 Multihannel Output.

When i install the Modified Kext i have no Audio Device ?

With the offi. VoodooHDA Kext from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] i can get Stereo out of green Output and Spdif.

How do i have to install this Kext ? And do i have to use it on another kext ?

When i simply install this mod Voodoo HDA kext via kext helper +Kext utility SL 10.6.4 cant see any Device

Please, can you help me ?

My VIA 1708S on my Asus P7P55 LX works now with full 5.1 Surround.

Nevets0291 told me how ive to tweak the Info.plits into his tweaked VoodooHDA.

The VIA Chip on my P7P55 LX has a different Vendor/Device ID so i had no Audio Device with the tweaked VoodooHDA.

All i had to do is to change the IDs :

Open up the VoodooHDA info.plist, and find CODE :

IOPCIPrimaryMatch

0x3a3e8086

Then change 0x3a3e8086 to 0x3b568086

I assume that all the other Asus P55 Boards with the same VIA 1708S Chip will have teh same IDS so it should work too

im so happy :(

I have Asus P5KPL-AM/NVIDIA GT220 running 10.4.6 and can not get sound to work properly.

Should have VIA VT1708B audio but can not find it on PCI device output.

Have browsed this forum and tried all the kexts and only got something working after applying VoodooHDA-0.2.62.pkg so now I have stereo sound out (thats all I need, no 8 channel needed). Input showing Microfon(Pink Rear) but not working.

VoodooHDA pref pane only show 4xDigitalOut.

How to get the Microphone to show up in PrefPane? and mybe get it working.

i made hybrid of two different VoodooHDA's for my via vt1708s on my ASUS P5QD Turbo, in first voodoo just a front panel worked, in second one just a rear panel worked.

Now are working:

Front panel headphones

Front panel mic

On rear panel orange,black and green(not detected and without volume change) outputs is working :)

Maybe i will make work other outputs

someworksHDA.kext.zip

This is the VoodooHDA based on v0.261 (modified for VIA 17081 with proper Device/VendorID for Asus P7P55LX)

I have all Input and outputs working. But Volume Control doesnt work on my new Aggregate 5.1 Device.

5.1 Surround works :)

Thanks to nevets0291

With this kext, all working but no grey output and pink input rear ! :D