My Niece is a Good Singer (but only 16)....Any Advice?

OMD

18 posts in this topic

My niece wants to sing and is pretty darn good at it. She has had lead parts in her School musicals and recently has done some recording in Nashville. She has just set up a youtube section with some videos of parts she has done. I think she is pretty talented and has a super voice, especially for her age, but then again, I can't carry a tune if my life depended on it. Well, and I am her Uncle, so I suppose I am a little bias. If you want to see what she has done so far, her youtube site is http://www.youtube.com/user/ReneeSpencerMusic - there are clips from her last musical with solos and some from a studio recording session. She has a myspace too - http://www.myspace.com/reneespencermusic with some clips from her CD.

If you can leave some words of encouragement, that would be amazing and appreciated! If anyone has experience and can share with me ideas, I would love to help her out. I had dreams when I was a kid. Obviously, they didn't involve singing, but any way I can help her, is all good.

Thanks everyone.

Wow! :D !! She is an amazing singer!

Lol... I have been playing guitar for awhile (mostly trying to attract the ladies... lol) and I wish that I had that much control over my voice...

btw... don't try to push her too far in one direction or another, things will fall into place over time, just let her do what she feels is right...

:thumbsup_anim: Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi. The song sounds like gospel or country music. She could try the one who helped Katy Perry who was once a gospel artist before she went pop (which isn't that bad compared save for some parts of her lyrics and maybe the gospel roots explains why while not perfect, she's quite nice). This is the guy who helped her and seems to be approachable enough (multiple Grammy winner). It seems Katy just walked into his office. His name is Glenn Ballard:

Gbu,

Alvin

• 1 month later...

she has an amazing voice, i would say to attract more attention and viewers on youtube, she should do her own covers for songs that artists have made, songs u hear on the radio that r popular etc... either with the instrumental version of the song or accompanied with her own cover of the song playing the guitar or piano, or it could be someone else that can play the instrument and her singing. But i highly recommend she do covers of songs of famous artists. lots of ppl have gotten famous that way, recently if u've heard of justin bieber, he made covers of songs and usher signed him. he racked up millions of views just from word of mouth doing covers of songs made by the likes of usher, ne-yo and chris brown .

gd luck to her :hysterical:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have experience & am currently signed

here are my suggestions since it took my band about 4 years to make it, this will make it much faster

First off it all depends on what she really wants for her life, if she dreams singing in huge crowds similar to a big arena(literally I mean DREAMS when sleeping) <-- That means she will do something in her life with music, that is like seeing the future in a weird way, but most people who have & dug for it really hard.... actually do make it.

Okay things to do... I will be talking like if its directly to her

If she does not have a band... GET A BAND to play her music, but if she does have a band... well great she has a huge head start.

Record about 3 demos, each about 4 Tracks only - Different songs on all (only issue you need to have your own personal home recording studio, that way you can do that without spending any $$$, but if you don't then Spend $$$ to make them)

Send a copy of them to all radio stations, tv stations & labels near you guys... since its just a copy of a cd it won't hurt $$ wise.

If you are going to sell them, plzzz sell them extremely cheap, but if a store offers you to sell your Demos, first review all the offers (if there are more stores) and then accept if its worth it... but I do suggest if its the 1st store even if they offer very small $ for each cd... DO IT! its getting your music out there.

Get her singing at as much clubs, pubs, stores, malls & restaurants as you can... that is using the Demo she has recorded that will help hugely to get accepted.

Youtube..... actually what was suggested before a few posts above, uploading videos singing Covers for different artist is a great idea... *TRICK* She should sign the latest song that gets famous currently (that song is new people are searching to watch the video, so they may stumble upon her cover video *Always send a VIDEO RESPONSE/REPLY to the Actual Real Artist Music Video with the her cover video* that insures people to stumble upon her video)

Myspace, easy... but takes time to your day, hit the search button or look in your Friends... start adding everybody you see & also all of its Top Friends & Comments. if you get a Friend Request - ALWAYS leave a comment after accepting them... that is called Promotion. but please do not SPAM, like saying I got a new album.. etc....blah blahh never say that... just leave a real comment, including the persons real first name(if you manage to see it in the profile). Myspace is Auto-promo you actually get your profile promoted randomly around without you even noticing it.. so the more you move adding friends & leaving comments... the more Auto-Promo myspace you get.

Facebook, its good... but its not a really a Promotion site(your account can be deleted very easily if you do too much spam), its more for personal Real People friends... yes using they're Invites for events works great since its an Easy click on everyone's name to send the Invite & message everybody of that event.... is not Auto-Promo like Myspace... but please do not promote your self in Comments... like I said before on for Myspace... leave real comments to people... its facebook its more personal talking.

Okay getting a Mailing list(bulk mail sender), yes its the best thing ever (get everybody to sign up)... even though its considered Spam, but if she ever needs to promote anything... its the best way to get everyone to know about it.

This one is entirely free & no Email limits: http://www.aardvarkmailinglist.net/

When playing/singing at a gig, always be friendly to everyone - expand get to know everyone there <-- that equals to connecting with the audience... next gig they will bring friends. Another huge note... you/band have to *give/have* great performance <-- that shows you are really professional / dedicated about your music, it will move the crowed.

Well enjoy my cookies, as of my opinion SHE IS READY(she's got the talent), she just needs to record more & promote her self if she really wants it... 16 years old etc... age doesn't matter... what matters is having the guts to actually giving it a try putting your self out there. Don't ever give up if you are already in it.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been around in ages and felt like I should update you guys, as you have been helpful and responsive.

Some doors are opening

Renee Spencer - Faith Family Country Tour - Check It

http://www.faithfamilycountrytour.com/ - 8 Artists - Billy Dean, Buddy Jewel, Tommy Brandt, Bryan White, Andy Griggs, Barry McGee, and Your's Truly - RENEE

Her CD was recently reviewed in an international Country Music Magazine with the following:

"Christian music with a country vibe running through the tracks.

This sixteen-year-old from Indiana possesses a powerful, emotional voice with an edginess that is tailor-made for modern country music, but on this debut album she takes the less-obvious route down the Christian backroads. The studio band comprises veteran country musos who have toured and played with the likes of Reba McEntire, Rascal Flatts, Alan Jackson, Collin Raye, Jamie Johnson, Randy Travis, John Conlee, Jeff Bates, etc. With such pedigrees, you expect nothing but the best and that's precisely what you get.

This excellent album entails proficient musicality and collectively displays a uniquely sophisticated mix of modernisitic Chrsitian songs. Highlights include "I'll Build A Bridge", which delivers a great message about getting back to the basics of worship and features pedal steel and an uplifting chorus. A touch of country flavour comes to mind when hearing the delightful "You Are There". Renee's pure timbre creates a vocal performance that leaves a lasting emotional impression. The title song is representative of the overall upbeat, energetic vibe of the record with some neat electric guitar. The riveting "Take Me Deeper" takes on the sounds of more conventional contemporary Christian music, consummated by heavenly chorus background vocals. "Amazed" features soaring vocal harmonies and meoldy cleverly layered to provide amazing depth and beauty to the track. Fans of spiritual and Chrisitan tunes will find enlightenment in this heartfelt collection.

A fine debut from a talented youngster, but I'd really like to see Renee going down the conventional country road, as I feel that she could give the likes of Taylor, Carrie and LeAnn a run for their money. AC"

You can check out her myspace and website at:

www.reneespencermusic.com

www.myspace.com/reneespencermusic

• 5 weeks later...

Pretty cool.....Jesse McCartney's mom was planning to fly in to see her spring musical, Sound of Music, where she had the lead role, Maria. Well, it just so happened Atlanta was all but shut down the night before and it didn't happen. She is coming back in May for a visit. We'll see what doors that may open up.....who knows, right?

Anyway, she has a huge week coming up, singing a couple songs at a pretty big show.

She posted this on her facebook and her first song....

"Download My Song - "A Few Things" - My first song released is moving up :P It started in the 70s....jumped in the 40s, and now it is in the 30s, according to Powersource Magazine. Please download it, listen, and share it with your facebook friends and family:

http://www.reneespencermusic.com/A%20Few%20Things.mp3

Many of you are not on my mailing list and really should be lol. Do me a favor and go to http://www.reneespencermusic.com and sign up. It's simply your name and email addy.

Don't forget May 1st - http://www.faithfamilycountrytour.com "

Pretty cool this past weekend, my niece had her first bigger concert. She only did two songs, but overall, it was pretty darn cool and a heap of fun. We got to 'hobknob' (whatever that even means) with all the bigger stars - Buddy Jewel, Andy Griggs, and Bryan White. It was so cool for her to have a merch table alongside all these other guys. I got to hang out and talk with all of them and was assigned to take all the 'meet and greet' fans back to meet them etc....

http://www.reneespencermusic.com

bjewell.jpg

agriggs.jpg

bwhite.jpg

all.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
She's AMAZING!

Awww...thanks for that. My wife and I are driving down this weekend to play a gig with her. I'm a drummer and totally pumped to do this with a full band and back-up singers and all.

WOW, I'm speechless at the sound of her voice.

Thanks and you can say I'm a pretty proud uncle. You should check out her facebook - songs and vids etc...... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Renee-Spencer/218128495848? Her second song was released to contemporary christian and you can download it directly from her site free here: http://www.reneespencermusic.com/Take%20Me%20Deeper.mp3

• 2 weeks later...
I have experience & am currently signed

here are my suggestions since it took my band about 4 years to make it, this will make it much faster

First off it all depends on what she really wants for her life, if she dreams singing in huge crowds similar to a big arena(literally I mean DREAMS when sleeping) <-- That means she will do something in her life with music, that is like seeing the future in a weird way, but most people who have & dug for it really hard.... actually do make it.

Okay things to do... I will be talking like if its directly to her

If she does not have a band... GET A BAND to play her music, but if she does have a band... well great she has a huge head start.

Record about 3 demos, each about 4 Tracks only - Different songs on all (only issue you need to have your own personal home recording studio, that way you can do that without spending any $$$, but if you don't then Spend $$$ to make them)

Send a copy of them to all radio stations, tv stations & labels near you guys... since its just a copy of a cd it won't hurt $$ wise.

If you are going to sell them, plzzz sell them extremely cheap, but if a store offers you to sell your Demos, first review all the offers (if there are more stores) and then accept if its worth it... but I do suggest if its the 1st store even if they offer very small $ for each cd... DO IT! its getting your music out there.

Get her singing at as much clubs, pubs, stores, malls & restaurants as you can... that is using the Demo she has recorded that will help hugely to get accepted.

Youtube..... actually what was suggested before a few posts above, uploading videos singing Covers for different artist is a great idea... *TRICK* She should sign the latest song that gets famous currently (that song is new people are searching to watch the video, so they may stumble upon her cover video *Always send a VIDEO RESPONSE/REPLY to the Actual Real Artist Music Video with the her cover video* that insures people to stumble upon her video)

Myspace, easy... but takes time to your day, hit the search button or look in your Friends... start adding everybody you see & also all of its Top Friends & Comments. if you get a Friend Request - ALWAYS leave a comment after accepting them... that is called Promotion. but please do not SPAM, like saying I got a new album.. etc....blah blahh never say that... just leave a real comment, including the persons real first name(if you manage to see it in the profile). Myspace is Auto-promo you actually get your profile promoted randomly around without you even noticing it.. so the more you move adding friends & leaving comments... the more Auto-Promo myspace you get.

Facebook, its good... but its not a really a Promotion site(your account can be deleted very easily if you do too much spam), its more for personal Real People friends... yes using they're Invites for events works great since its an Easy click on everyone's name to send the Invite & message everybody of that event.... is not Auto-Promo like Myspace... but please do not promote your self in Comments... like I said before on for Myspace... leave real comments to people... its facebook its more personal talking.

Okay getting a Mailing list(bulk mail sender), yes its the best thing ever (get everybody to sign up)... even though its considered Spam, but if she ever needs to promote anything... its the best way to get everyone to know about it.

This one is entirely free & no Email limits: http://www.aardvarkmailinglist.net/

When playing/singing at a gig, always be friendly to everyone - expand get to know everyone there <-- that equals to connecting with the audience... next gig they will bring friends. Another huge note... you/band have to *give/have* great performance <-- that shows you are really professional / dedicated about your music, it will move the crowed.

Well enjoy my cookies, as of my opinion SHE IS READY(she's got the talent), she just needs to record more & promote her self if she really wants it... 16 years old etc... age doesn't matter... what matters is having the guts to actually giving it a try putting your self out there. Don't ever give up if you are already in it.

Geez...not sure how I missed this 'short' post lol....totally awesome info and Actually cut and pasted some of it for future reference. Thanks for taking this time....even if it was over 3 months ago :lol: