Vanilla install on Dell Vostro 1510 - 1520

Jason Parks

218 posts in this topic

Yeah I'm on the same graphics card (mine's also brand new this December) but I stuck with the default 1597 or whatever it was - I assumed it would be that one which this guide referred to.

I have QE/CI on Leopard but I can't get it on Snow Leo... Don't think there's an EFI string for the 9300M GS either.

Oh and I can't get sleep to work in either Leo or Snow Leo.

Quite happy on Leopard, still, to be honest but it would be nice to be able to go to Snow. Just need QE/CI, I think.

To all the folks who have made the transition to 10.6-> what battery life are you guys experiencing. It's hard to admit but I get a better battry life (~3 hrs +) with vista on my Vostro 1520 than with 10.5 (~2:30 max).

I'm hoping that a better battery life awaits me in 10.6!

I'll be taking the leap of faith soon..... :wacko:

Indiana

I had some problems with updating to 10.6.2 (with the SleepEnalber) but i've solved that too.

can you please tell me what you did exactly? my 10.6.2 broke everything on my 1510

had to reinstall again

almost working fine now with 10.6.0, but a funny thing, the eject icon on the top bar is missing.

any suggestion?

almost working fine now with 10.6.0, but a funny thing, the eject icon on the top bar is missing.

any suggestion?

running 10.6.1 and fixed the eject icon by myself

still waiting to know what to do - or delete - in order to install 10.6.2

All Righty...Working with a December 2009 dell Vostro (for all of you hankering to buy a new hackintosh) Here's what's working after following JasonParks' excellent Guide:

Everything works, more specifically:

Wireless works (YOU MUST have a Dell 1397 card, not the intel 1510 that might be the default card) I'm not sure if this is an option when you buy at dell, but there's a bunch for under $20 on ebay.

DVD player (therefore quartz extreme)

Last hurdle: sleep and 10.6.2 update. Anyone solve those or try to update?

Updated to 10.6.2 just now and installed:

Sleepenabler and voodobattery.kext from here:

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/23732914...xt-post-updated

Battery icon in menu bar works. sleep works but laptop won't wake from sleep.

10.6.2 boots just fine.

I'm running a Dec 2009 Vostro with a Dell 1397 wireless card and NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9300M GS 256MB graphics.

AWESOME guide. Thank you for posting it.

I am having 3 problems though. I'm on a 1510.

1. Wireless card isnt showing up. I'm not sure if the last step (run updates) is intended to fix this, but I ran updates once and it killed my system. Gave me a kernal panic and I had to reload...so I haven't tried it again. I'm hoping to get everything working perfectly, then do a complete backup, then try running updates again. I have a Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN mini-card. Am I going to have to get a hold of a 1397?

2. As I mentioned in #1, updater ends with a kernal panic after reboot.

3. Choppy video. Anything animated is choppy. I have a GeForce 8400M GS.

Anybody have any ideas?

That little app says 'Display 1 is accelerated'. Does that mean it has QE/CI?

Sys Profiler says nothing about QE or CI.

Updated 10.6.2 vanilla. Only problem is I can't get Wifi to work unless I boot via SnowBoot. Any ideas? It just says I have no Airport card installed. Oh, I am on the 1397 btw.

Yeah, my Dropbox email is dktr.vox@gmail.com. ;)

invitation for shared folder sent

with 10.6.2 now, the only problem to solve is the shutdown that takes too long, or the blue lights that remain on forever (have to force with the power button)

any suggestion?

Well I've booted straight to hard disk (i.e. no SnowBoot CD) and it's working for the first time since 10.6.2 update. ;)

Hopefully it'll work all the time.

My startup is a little slow and shutdown is also a little slow, but works okay. Don't think the blue lights stay on for me. :s

Any idea of any kexts I can send your way to help?

Well I've booted straight to hard disk (i.e. no SnowBoot CD) and it's working for the first time since 10.6.2 update. ;)

Hopefully it'll work all the time.

glad it's workin

Any idea of any kexts I can send your way to help?

thank you, I will continue to investigate to find out the "culprit"

Just had the slow shutdown problem.

'PID still valid' or something, yeah?

:D

Do tell if you find a fix.

how slow in seconds?

on the vostro 1510 that I am finishing now its about 10-15 seconds

on my inspiron 1525 it was much more, and then I found out that was something going on (think the system was trying to kill a process) on the previous partition (10.5.8) - once I formatted that everything went really smooth (immediate shutdown)

so I will see what happens when I will be able to erase the other partition on this 1510 too.

That little app says 'Display 1 is accelerated'. Does that mean it has QE/CI?

Sys Profiler says nothing about QE or CI.

Updated 10.6.2 vanilla. Only problem is I can't get Wifi to work unless I boot via SnowBoot. Any ideas? It just says I have no Airport card installed. Oh, I am on the 1397 btw.

Try rerunning the wireless scripts

Ok back in town and have time to work with it again. I have the Realtek wired network card and the Dell N card which some seem to have working. The problem it had was network was fully functional via the terminal, but applications did not see the network as working. I never could get the Realtek card to be seen at all, but the wireless was recognized as an Airport card. Any ideas?