[GUIDE] PERFECT 100% VANILLA RETAIL Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Install for GIGABYTE EX58-UD4P + EX58-UD5!

newd00d

38 posts in this topic

INSTALLING FOR EX58-UD4P AND EX58-UD5 RETAIL SNOW LEOPARD

THIS GUIDE IS BASED ON AND USES Digital_Dreamer's EX58 SCRIPT FOR RETAIL SNOW LEOPARD. THIS GUIDE SHOULD WORK WITH BOTH THE UD4P AND THE UD5 MOTHERBOARDS, AND POSSIBLY OTHER BOARDS WHICH I HAVE YET TO TEST.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO Digital_Dreamer AND THE OTHER CONTRIBUTERS AT INSANELYMAC AND ELSEWHERE WHO HAVE HELPED TO MAKE THIS PROCESS POSSIBLE AND AVAILABLE.

ALL TOOLS AND PROGRAMS INCLUDED ARE PUBLIC AND FREE TO USE, YET THEY STILL ADHERE TO THE RIGHTS OF THEIR DEVELOPERS. WE ADVISE IF YOU ARE GOING TO INSTALL SNOW LEOPARD THAT YOU BUY A RETAIL PACKAGE OF APPLE'S OPERATING SYSTEM AND ANY APPLICATION YOU INTEND TO USE!

THIS INSTALLER IS DESIGNED TO WORK WHEN INSTALLING TO A SEPARATE PARTITION OR HARD DRIVE ON A MACHINE WHICH IS ALREADY RUNNING MAC OS X LEOPARD 10.5 OR SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.

Boot-132 RETAIL DVD Method Coming Soon!!!

THIS GUIDE WAS BUILT FOR AND TESTED WITH THE FOLLOWING HARDWARE,

AND IS CONFIRMED TO BE 100% VANILLA AND 100% FUNCTIONAL:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboard w/ F10D Beta BIOS

OverClocked 3.33GHz i7 920 Processor

nVidia 9800GT 512MB Video Card

6GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

500GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive

Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 Install DVD

ON THE UD4P, IF YOU PLAN TO OVERCLOCK YOU ARE BEST OFF WITH THE F10D BETA BIOS. ALSO MAKE SURE THAT AHCI IS ENABLED UNDER THE INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS OPTION IN YOUR COMPUTER'S BIOS.

1. Navigate using the Top Bar or through the Applications Folder to "Go > Utilites > Disk Utility" and run the application. Select your Target Hard Disk (the drive wish to restore to) which will be located in the left window on the left-hand side of the application. Click the Target Hard Disk to highlight it, then press the Partition tab. Select Options and format the Target Hard Disk as GUID and select any name you would like.

2. Insert or Mount your Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail DVD or image. Once the DVD or image is mounted, you can close the window that pops up, but be sure to leave the DVD or image mounted for the Installer script.

3. Download the EX58-UD4P Installer pack from Here. Unzip the file and open EX58-UD4P Installer folder. Before running the INSTALL file, make sure you add your Video Card String to com.apple.boot.plist (you can replace the current string in the boot.plist if you are not using 9800GT 512MB) located in the Plists folder in your installer. If you need the ATY_Init graphics injector, you can add it to your boot cache in the /Extra/Stored_Kexts folder after you boot back into snow leopard by re-running step 6 of the installer. Run the INSTALL file and enter your password when prompted. Select the number which corresponds to your Target Hard Drive drive and press enter, OR press Y (Yes) if the Target Hard Drive drive was already pre-selected for you.

4. Once inside the Installer script, press option #2 (installer bootloader) and press enter. Then select option #3 (PC_EFI for Snow) and press enter. Once you return to the main menu of the Installer script, select option #3 (set partition as active) and press enter, then next select Y (Yes) to set your drive as active. Next select option #4 (run retail DVD installer) and press enter. Run the installer and before installing to your hard drive click the "customize" button and uncheck everything that is not "essential system software." You can install the other packages later.

5. Once the install completes, return to the main menu of your Installer and select option #5 (Kext installer). Now you need change the paths of some kexts. Key in the numbers:

#1 and press enter, (AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from /System to /Extra)

#3 and press enter, (JMicronATA.kext from /System to /Extra)

#5 and press enter, (IONetworkingFamily.kext from /Extra to /System)

#7 and press enter, (fakesmc.kext from /System to /Extra)

#9 and press enter, (OpenHaltRestart.kext from /System to /Extra)

#10 and press enter, (PlatformUUID.kext from /System to /Extra)

#11 and press enter, (Sleepenabler.kext from /System to /Extra)

- Summary: You should leave only IONetworkingFamily.kext, RealtekR1000.kext, and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext inside /System, and everything else should go into /Extra.

WHEN COMPLETED PRESS Y (Yes) TO INSTALL THE KEXT AND UPDATE YOUR BOOT CACHE.

6. Once you return to the install menu, selection option #19 and press enter to close the installer. DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER YET. Navigate to your EX58-UD4P folder and open the DSDT folder. Right-click and copy the DSDT.aml file. Now go to your freshly installed drive and paste your DSDT.aml file to the /Extra folder. You are now ready to reboot!

7. Make sure to remove any extra internal/external hard drives (other than your freshly installed drive) until after you successfully boot into the operating system for the first time.

- IF YOU INSTALLED FROM A PC OR MAC RUNNING SNOW LEOPARD (10.6), YOU ARE DONE!

(Please reboot and post here with your successes!)

- IF YOU INSTALLED FROM A PC OR MAC RUNNING LEOPARD (10.5) YOU HAVE ONE MORE STEP:

*Additional Step for those installing from Leopard: Before you boot your Snow Leopard install for the first time, continually press F8 after you see the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" screen in your BIOS, and enter your PC_EFI bootloader GUI. Use your down arrow key to select "boot single-user mode". Wait for the prompt to arrive and type the following:

/sbin/mount -uw / (press enter)

buildcache (press enter)

once completed, type reboot (or manually reset if command does not work.) *

THAT'S IT! YOU ARE READY TO BOOT FOR THE FIRST TIME. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN SOFTWARE UPDATE WITHOUT A HITCH TO GET YOUR SYSTEM UP TO DATE!

OK here's where I'm at I did the install two ways when it's time to load the bootloader instead of selecting option #3PC_EFI I selected the Chamelon bootloader v2 rc3 after that everything installs and I get stuck at the Already Own a Mac Screen during the first login phase. Now If I make the selections in your script which seem to be out of order because when I select PC_EFI as my boot loader I never see the make partition option. Now when I get to the Already Own a Mac screen when I select continue It goes to the next screen and I finally get to the desk top Hooray. Once there I have no network or sound. WTF am I doing wrong LOL!!!!!!!!

Ok so after doing some more searching I got snow leopard installed on my SATA HDD.

I have two HDD one with snow leopard and one with win 7. When I boot from win 7 I can see my snow leopard drive and all the contents inside.

Problem is I cannot book into snow leopard. I set up the drive as per instructions above.

Everything is successful but I still get boot0 error.

I found out that this error is usually due to the partition not being active.

So with this method:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

I set my partition as active but then I did not get anything and was stuck.

I was in the same situation as the member FoleyPhoto

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1265752

So then I installed chameleon 2RC3:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766

The installation was successful.

Then just incase, I did the whole process of making my mac partition active again

Then when I tried to boot, got the boot0 error.

So now I am stuck and have no idea where to go with this anymore.

Could someone please help?

Thanks.

OK I finally got it working here's what was happening in your instructions at the part of loading the kexts. Your guide says change a few of the listed kexts to the system folder. Well when I do that I get the spinning beachball on the Already own a mac screen. If I choose nothing and accept the defaults I don't get the problem and the setup goes great. Sound sleep restart shutdown. Now the onboard network doesn't work and I really don't care because I'm using a mac usb dongle. You asked what BIOS I had it's the one you recommended the beta version. Once the install worked I reformatted the whole drive and installed it 5 more times. Two times I changed the Kexts as suggested in your guide and It got stuck at the Already own a mac screen. Three times I accepted the defaults of the script and It was a fully working box. Go figure. I was able to do a Time Machine back. I loaded Logic and did a quick song without any problems !!!! I LOVE YOU MAN !!!!!! sniff sniff...........LOL

If you're using chameleon instead of PC-EFI, you need the "arch=i386" flag instead of "-x32"... the ethernet driver doesn't work in 64 bit... sounds like you went through a lot of the same troubles I did...

And yeah, the guide has you moving too many kexts out of S/L/E, causing the spinning beachball of death...

Thanks for the patched DSDT though!

If you're using chameleon instead of PC-EFI, you need the "arch=i386" flag instead of "-x32"... the ethernet driver doesn't work in 64 bit... sounds like you went through a lot of the same troubles I did...

And yeah, the guide has you moving too many kexts out of S/L/E, causing the spinning beachball of death...

Thanks for the patched DSDT though!

Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread!

Aiken is right, with chameleon you need to have arch=i386, and with PC_EFI you will need -x32 in your com.apple.boot.plist file located in /Extra in order to boot 32-Bit.

All of the kexts included in this guide will work fine with 64-Bit, except for the Networking kexts. Does anyone know of a R1000.kext that works with 64-Bit???

***If you are experiencing the spinning beach ball after your first install during the intro loader, make sure you follow these steps.***

"5. Once the install completes, return to the main menu of your Installer and select option #5 (Kext installer). Now you need change the paths of some kexts. Key in the numbers:

#1 and press enter, (AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from /System to /Extra)

#3 and press enter, (JMicronATA.kext from /System to /Extra)

#5 and press enter, (IONetworkingFamily.kext from /Extra to /System)

#7 and press enter, (fakesmc.kext from /System to /Extra)

#9 and press enter, (OpenHaltRestart.kext from /System to /Extra)

#10 and press enter, (PlatformUUID.kext from /System to /Extra)

#11 and press enter, (Sleepenabler.kext from /System to /Extra)

- Summary: You should leave only IONetworkingFamily.kext, RealtekR1000.kext, and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext inside /System, and everything else should go into /Extra.

WHEN COMPLETED PRESS Y (Yes) TO INSTALL THE KEXT AND UPDATE YOUR BOOT CACHE.

6. Once you return to the install menu, selection option #19 and press enter to close the installer. DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER YET. Navigate to your EX58-UD4P folder and open the DSDT folder. Right-click and copy the DSDT.aml file. Now go to your freshly installed drive and paste your DSDT.aml file to the /Extra folder. You are now ready to reboot!

7. Make sure to remove any extra internal/external hard drives (other than your freshly installed drive) until after you successfully boot into the operating system for the first time.

- IF YOU INSTALLED FROM A PC OR MAC RUNNING SNOW LEOPARD (10.6), YOU ARE DONE!

- IF YOU INSTALLED FROM A PC OR MAC RUNNING LEOPARD (10.5) YOU HAVE ONE MORE STEP:

*Additional Step for those installing from Leopard: Before you boot your Snow Leopard install for the first time, continually press F8 after you see the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" screen in your BIOS, and enter your PC_EFI bootloader GUI. Use your down arrow key to select "boot single-user mode". Wait for the prompt to arrive and type the following:

/sbin/mount -uw / (press enter)

buildcache (press enter)

once completed, type reboot (or manually reset if command does not work.) * "

If running the .kext files from /Extra does not work for you, do as others have mentioned and let the installer script install to the default kext locations. The reason I have moved these .kext files from /S/L/E to /Extra in step 5. is in order to keep the S/L/E folder as untouched as possible. Every other .kext file (other than the Networking kexts and NullCPUPowerManagement) should run from /Extra with no problems, but you need to make sure you rebuild the boot cache as single-user berfore booting for the first time.

The alc889.kext in this installer works well, but for some reason it will default to your headphone port during the first boot. If you want to hear sound during the installer intro, make sure you plug your speakers/headphones into the front headphone jack on your computer. You can change your audio port after you boot into the OS by going to Apple > System Preferences > Sound and then selecting the Output tab.

Thanks again to everyone who has made this install process available!

this did not work for me.

my system info:

mobo: ex58-ud4p with f8 bios

hdd: 3x sata2: win7, osx10.5.7 ideneb, empty

cpu: 920@3.0ghz

gpu: hd4870 oc with scythe musashi cooler

ram: 12gb 1333mhz corsair@1200mhz

everything is stable in both OS, under prime95 and other benchmarks, though some kp:s while opening some .dmg's (i have seatbelt though) but anyways

here is what i did:

i did exactly like this tut told me, i got right gpu string to .plist for my hd4870,

after that i ran installer script, with /extra method and pci_efi.

then i set partition active and after that installed SL

after that i moved kexts to /extra, except for those 3 like in tut

then i exited the script and moved dsdt.aml to /extra

i booted to single user mode, mounted with -uw /

ran buildcache. it gave depency errors like hell and ended to KP caused by kextcache

i then tried to boot to verbosemode, fsck_hfs gave me a KP

any ideas? i can provide more info if i missed some

*Update*

i moved all kexts to /system, and went to singleuser to buildcache, it said no kexts found, i moved alc889a to /extra and buildcaches, no KP on booting!

sadly video didnt work. i tried with aty_init and natit kexts, one at a time. neither of those work. i get video with those but it is mosaic and pretty psychedelic. and i also have mouse cursor working well

so situation is this: all kexts except for sound is in /system, with natit.kext and i get no video after pci-efi, except for cursor. what the beep i should do

When I put my video card string in the .plist that came in the installer package, it didn't make it onto the installed hard drive... check the boot.com.apple.plist on your Snow Leopard's /extra to see that the right string is there... only idea I have, sorry...

Anyways, my computer seems to be doing okay, and it's faster than Leopard was a bit... but sometimes it freezes for 5-10 seconds and gives me a spinning beachball - this happens whenever I have an external USB drive mounted... any ideas?

When I put my video card string in the .plist that came in the installer package, it didn't make it onto the installed hard drive... check the boot.com.apple.plist on your Snow Leopard's /extra to see that the right string is there... only idea I have, sorry...

Anyways, my computer seems to be doing okay, and it's faster than Leopard was a bit... but sometimes it freezes for 5-10 seconds and gives me a spinning beachball - this happens whenever I have an external USB drive mounted... any ideas?

thanks for the tip. i checked snow/extra and it had the right string :/

i tried also booting with -x but it just gave KP, didnt even get to gui

hi to everyone, this is my experience: after some bad result, follwing this guide let my SL to install and boot correctlly, BUT... my video card is a GTX 285 (non mac version); in the guide there is a specific point that explain to edit plist file before lunch 'installer'. So i've edit the file changing the string for my video card (using EFIStudio to obtain the right HEX sequence) but if i let my old 8400 card the system boot nice, with my GTX 285, after the first boot screen (where there is the gray apple logo and spinning icon) the monitor goes in standby mode cause no more video signal come from video card... What should i do to fix this video card?!?

Thanks for any help!

PS: before swapping the video cards i've downloaded, from nvidia site, last Mac OSX driver, but once started it tells me that there are no need of that driver. It's correct? Or i should force the installation in some way?!?

---- EDIT ----

Ok, i was able to boot in SL using my GTX 285. I've utilized the injector from netkas and the official drive from nvidia (here i receive the same message so, if i wanna install the driver, i should enter in the package content and install manually the driver. So i dunno if this procedure don't install something but actually the second DVI doesn't send video signal and im not able to change video resolution on my main monitor! It's 'fixed' on 1024x768 and the SL doesn't see it as a Apple Cinema Display but a simple 'monitor'....

here is some updates:

i couldnt get SL working with this guide, but i tried other 64-bit guide.

i was able to boot to SL but got no sound, ide devices, networking and screen flickered a bit.

then i used kexts in this tut so i got ide (dvd-burner) and network working

now ill have to think something for a) sound :star_smile: screenflickering

i still have hd4870 and i must get dualscreen working.

and system info didnt show that alc889a was installed but it is in /extra/extensions though

My sound kexts consist of AppleHDA and HDAEnabler in /Extra... not sure if they're the ones from this guide, or if they're the ones that come with digital dreamer's installer package on his own thread... Mine are all mixed up that way...

I haven't tried analog out, but digital out works after I switched from the headphone port in the panel in System Preferences...

ok i got everything else working but audio, i just cant figure out what kexts to use, and where to place them

earlier, when i had hdaenabler and applehda in /s/l/e and i installed voodoohda to /s/l/e with kexthelper i could get sounds working absolutely perfectly, but as i rebooted, i lost sounds

and now i have tried almost every combination of hdaenabler, applehda and voodoohda in /s/l/e and /extras/extensions folders, always rebuilding kexts when i make changes

its really frustrating to get em working for a brief moment and then lose everything :/ now i dont have any choices in voice-pref panel but if i put voodoohda in /s/l/e i get to chooce between 3 sources which do nothing. when my sound was working i had like 5 of them, in my language.

situation is this: i dont have any audio kexts anywhere installed, how can i get sounds working? and should i use hdaenabler with voodoo or how does those forementioned 3 kexts (voodoo, apple, enabler) relate to each other? ie. what to use with what. i am lost

Just want to say with your 920 running at 3Ghz, cooled with the noctua, and powered by the Nexus 850... our computers are friends!

yeah our computers are friends! only thing clocking me higher is 12gb of ram. i've tried with 6gb and it went to around 4.1ghz

/offtopic

but yeah i was persistent enough to try installing applehda and hdaenabler in /s/l/e and then patch my dsdt with digital's patcher, and it worked. now i have audio!