AppleACPIBattery in 32/64 flavor for Snow Kitty.

adityaxavier

90 posts in this topic

Hi,

unfortunately AppleACPIBattery gives me the same kernel panic as the other 2 versions i tried in my laptop. The panic is on AppleACPIBattery and in IOACPIFamily ... i don't know, perhaps i am having problems there. For example if i connect and disconnect more times the power supply after a few times (4-5 or less) i have a kernel panic under snow 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 . I even tried a fresh install of snow and there are always the same problems.

The strange thing is that in 10.5.8 everything works smooth with the same laptop. AppleACPIBattery works fine, no crashes , nothing at all.

Any fixes for IOACPIFamily ? I have a laptop with PM45 chipset (Cantiga, 1066 mhz bus), 4 gb ddr2 800 and CPU T9400 (2.53 GHz Core2Duo Penryn 6 mb cache).

Perhaps i may try to put IOACPIFamily from 10.5.8 ... but it's not the solution i like.

Thanks!

Mal

did u try with VoodooBattery from post 23 ?

ooo@ adityaxavier, dong, valv/Slice:

took me HOURS to figure this out, but (at least here on my Toshiba) ANY of the battery manager kexts (ACPIBattery, VoodooPower, AppleACPIBatteryManager) and no matter which version break DVD playback in anything but VLC, which uses its own engine and codecs. Front Row detects the Video DVD but remains black, MPlayer OSX remains passive, and DVD Player issues the Error "There was an initialization error. The current machine or system configuration is not supported [-70013]":

dvdplayererror70013.png

This applies to both, Leo and Snow Leo (10.6.2, 10.6.3) here on my Toshi.

I googled this error, but all the hints referred to real Macs with problems I did not have or the solutions did not help any (non-present QE/CI etc.).

At some point I removed VoodooBattery.kext accidentally, and on reboot DVD playback worked! Tried all other kexts and versions installed and then again uninstall, and the symptom is 100% reproducible!

I just have this one laptop here to try, so would you guys please check what happens if you insert a Video DVD into your internal drives and open Applications/DVD Player while the battery meter is active in the menu bar? Do you also get the error message???

I have tried the hacked PowerManagement.bundle from Leo in Snow but that does not work at all (+ weird symptoms).

Please report back, this issue has driven me nuts y-day .. and I would really like to have both at the same time, battery indicator in the menu bar AND DVD playback in DVD Player and Front Row (I tried Slim Battery Manager for the menu bar, but that is dependent on Apple's routines and does not display anything on a HackBook if none of our kexts is loaded).

I would greatly appreciate it if any of you coding-guys could correct and re-compile the source code in a way that Apple's DVD playback engine is NOT stumbling across our hack's battery manager (or if somebody could find the spot where Mac OS checks the system configuration and comments that check out!!!).

Thanks guys - looking very much forward to your replies ;) !

EDIT 2010-05-15: solved

PS: I attached my DSDT.dsl zipped

dsdt.zip

Hi valv,

i tried voodoobattery from such post and it's not showing me the battery folder under power savings preference.

Can u show us a screenshot of power saving options u have?

Thanks!

Mal

hi Mal,

look into info.plist and try to change the "Quirck" key value to "Yes".

post-498884-1271587533_thumb.pngpost-498884-1271588094_thumb.png

Hi valv,

thanks for reply.

As soon as i try to change such Quirck Boolean Value from "False" to "True" (in my propertylisteditor it shows as a flag checked or unchecked and opening it in nano(terminal) it show false/ or true/) , my system panics in AppleACPIEC with dependencies in IOSMBUSFamily,IOACPIFamily,IOPCIFamily, and so on .

With such value at false/ it loads successfully (no kernel panic) but it shows no battery preference like i can see from your screenshots :/ really dunno what it is ... i tried BOTH original voodoobattery from superhai site and voodoobattery here from post23.

Any clue why it happens here ? It happens on an HDX18 laptop too ... like yours.

Mal

Hi valv,

thanks for reply.

As soon as i try to change such Quirck Boolean Value from "False" to "True" (in my propertylisteditor it shows as a flag checked or unchecked and opening it in nano(terminal) it show false/ or true/) , my system panics in AppleACPIEC with dependencies in IOSMBUSFamily,IOACPIFamily,IOPCIFamily, and so on .

With such value at false/ it loads successfully (no kernel panic) but it shows no battery preference like i can see from your screenshots :/ really dunno what it is ... i tried BOTH original voodoobattery from superhai site and voodoobattery here from post23.

Any clue why it happens here ? It happens on an HDX18 laptop too ... like yours.

Mal

what distribution 'r u usin'?

what kexts?

from where 'r u loadin' voodoobat?

Hi valv,

thanks for your reply.

I am using a vanilla 10.6 installation updated to 10.6.3 . I am loading voodoobattery from extra/extensions folder. I just use 3 kexts (fakesmc, voodoops2,voodoohda) and voodoobattery . Would you upload your extra folder including dsdt , ssdts and smbios.plist + extensions folder so that i will check if you have the same settings as me?

Thanks!

Mal

@ adityaxavier, dong, valv/Slice:

took me HOURS to figure this out, but (at least here on my Toshiba) ANY of the battery manager kexts (ACPIBattery, VoodooPower, AppleACPIBatteryManager) and no matter which version break DVD playback in anything but VLC, which uses its own engine and codecs. Front Row detects the Video DVD but remains black, MPlayer OSX remains passive, and DVD Player issues the Error "There was an initialization error. The current machine or system configuration is not supported [-70013]":

dvdplayererror70013.png

This applies to both, Leo and Snow Leo (10.6.2, 10.6.3) here on my Toshi.

I googled this error, but all the hints referred to real Macs with problems I did not have or the solutions did not help any (non-present QE/CI etc.).

At some point I removed VoodooBattery.kext accidentally, and on reboot DVD playback worked! Tried all other kexts and versions installed and then again uninstall, and the symptom is 100% reproducible!

I just have this one laptop here to try, so would you guys please check what happens if you insert a Video DVD into your internal drives and open Applications/DVD Player while the battery meter is active in the menu bar? Do you also get the error message???

I have tried the hacked PowerManagement.bundle from Leo in Snow but that does not work at all (+ weird symptoms).

Please report back, this issue has driven me nuts y-day .. and I would really like to have both at the same time, battery indicator in the menu bar AND DVD playback in DVD Player and Front Row (I tried Slim Battery Manager for the menu bar, but that is dependent on Apple's routines and does not display anything on a HackBook if none of our kexts is loaded).

I would greatly appreciate it if any of you coding-guys could correct and re-compile the source code in a way that Apple's DVD playback engine is NOT stumbling across our hack's battery manager (or if somebody could find the spot where Mac OS checks the system configuration and comments that check out!!!).

Thanks guys - looking very much forward to your replies B) !

EDIT 2010-04-1: there is hope and light on the horizon - DVD playback works in Leo with jaro12345's modified PM bundle (based on keithpk's patches from the Tiger version) active and working at the same time, this one here! He provided his modified sources at the bottom of the entry posting. Apple's sources for the PM bundle are here - the latest right now is 211.2.

Who is able to compile the sources for Snow with the provided patches? I am certain that DVD playback will work again with a modded version for Snow :)

Hoping ...,

Bugs

adding my voice here, exactly the same problem on HP Pavilion dv9040, tried all possible battery kexts, DVD player wont work.

thanks in advance to anybody who can help solve this issue

regards

s

hi,

1) no , i don't have smartbatterymanager in SLE or EE

2) there is something about battery inside dsdt, should i remove it ? or change it ? how ?

as soon as i have my camera , i will do a photo of the kernel panic log.

Is there something related to powermanagement we can change with some versions of boot at root folder or bootloader or smbios.plist file ? In my system i don't even see the battery folder (valv has the same laptop as mine and he has it, as i can see from its screenshots, me not!). Is it due to smbios.plist or something else the fact that acpibatterymanager crashes and voodoobattery does not show properly the "battery" section in powermanagement option in system preferences?

thanks !

mal

hi,

1) no , i don't have smartbatterymanager in SLE or EE

2) there is something about battery inside dsdt, should i remove it ? or change it ? how ?

as soon as i have my camera , i will do a photo of the kernel panic log.

Is there something related to powermanagement we can change with some versions of boot at root folder or bootloader or smbios.plist file ? In my system i don't even see the battery folder (valv has the same laptop as mine and he has it, as i can see from its screenshots, me not!). Is it due to smbios.plist or something else the fact that acpibatterymanager crashes and voodoobattery does not show properly the "battery" section in powermanagement option in system preferences?

thanks !

mal

If u've taken a model for your hackintosh other than a macbook/pro.. , then sure , u likely will never see it

hi,

i have MacBookPro5,1 model .

I have set it up in /Extra/smbios.plist file.

I see you are using MacBookPro5,4 model . Perhaps i should try the same ... which other params are you using in smbios.plist file?

Mal

MBP5,1 should be ok as model.

what VoodooBat did u used ? please, do your self a flavor, and get the one posted on our Topic as this is a slightly modded one. Btw, post any thoughts from now on (regarding your machine) there. And watch out for the Bootloader (hope u gonna enjoy this ;) )

Hi Guys,

I had issues with VoodooBattery cause the one that i had was only for 32 bit and seemed to give some weird sleep issues...

So started using AppleACPIBattery from leo.. Just took the Source from our long friend Chun Nun and changed it for 32/64 bit arch..

It works perfectly in 32 bit.. someone try it in 64 bit mode as well.. All Credits go to Chun Nun for making such a beautiful kext.. and mainly for providing the sources... :unsure: Download the kext below.....

Thanks,

A.Xavier.

After the kext was installed and the OS was rebooted, KP happened. Can you send me your source? I want to study it and resolve this KP. Thank you.

adityaxavier, neither in my nor in valv's working DSDT there is any reference to battery.

FYI, I have a 1.83 GHz Core Duo CPU in a three year old Toshiba P100 which, AFAIK, does NOT have a "smart battery".

AFAIK, battery subsystem in non-apple notebook is not Smart battery. It is actually control method battery. That is why we need patched kext to get notebook working properly with battery in Mac OS X.

adityaxavier, neither in my nor in valv's working DSDT there is any reference to battery.

FYI, I have a 1.83 GHz Core Duo CPU in a three year old Toshiba P100 which, AFAIK, does NOT have a "smart battery".

BugsB, actually there is a reference to battery in your DSDT (Device (BAT1)). It is control method battery.

ah OK thanks kizwan, I simply did not know what to look for :unsure:

so I could try and swap the BAT device entry of my DSDT with e.g. valv's, compile and see if both, meter AND DVD Playback then work.

kizwan, do you see anything in that device tree which looks odd to you?

ah OK thanks kizwan, I simply did not know what to look for :)

so I could try and swap the BAT device entry of my DSDT with e.g. valv's, compile and see if both, meter AND DVD Playback then work.

Dear Bugs, could u please send me your DSDTable.

btw, have u tried messing with VoodooBat debug flavor to see what errors come out ? maybe am wrong about direction though

Greetz,

ah OK thanks kizwan, I simply did not know what to look for :)

The entry for your battery "Device (BAT1)" looks OK to me. Try change BAT1 to BAT0 (all) & try again. Make sure you set to "macbook" model in smbios.plist file.

@valv: this one? :) no prob, thanks for helping to solve.

Try change BAT1 to BAT0 (all) & try again. Make sure you set to "macbook" model in smbios.plist file.
did that, compiled, applied aml to /, reboot, no change (no DVD Playback, meter. still shows up, though). Next swapped my BAT device with valv's but that did not even compile, 27 errors.

Also here is the content of my smbios.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>06/15/2009</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP51.88Z.00C1.B03.0802271651</string>
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>769</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>1600</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>24</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>5A10D91C</string>
	<key>SMserial1</key>
	<key>SMserial2</key>
<string>5A10DABA</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

would be worth a test if you just went ahead and boot with that for a test and see if your DVD playback still works along with battery meter.

btw, have u tried messing with VoodooBat debug flavor to see what errors come out ? maybe am wrong about direction though
now running on Superhai's latest greatest 1.3.3 deb. Bat meter working, no playback. What does the debug do, where is the debug log stored?

(also tried all flavors of his VoodooPower.kext: none, standard, mini, acpi - no change) ..

ok,

maybe the for-coming 10.6.4 would change something, presumably messing with DVDPlayer..again

Greetz,

<key>SMserial</key>
	<key>SMserial1</key>
	<key>SMserial2</key>
<string>5A10DABA</string>

Those SMserial key names and values seem to me like being wrong.

now running on Superhai's latest greatest 1.3.3 deb. Bat meter working, no playback. What does the debug do, where is the debug log stored?
Didn't dmesg show some battery stuff ? also take a look into IORegExplorer's dump. Not so sure though, as I did not yet get much time to play with this one.

(also tried all flavors of his VoodooPower.kext: none, standard, mini, acpi - no change) ..
I'd prefer u go vanilla everything. but maybe reinstalling Essentials package from Install DVD could fix something.

Also here is the content of my smbios.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>SMbiosdate</key>
 <string>06/15/2009</string>
 <key>SMbiosversion</key>
 <string>MBP51.88Z.00C1.B03.0802271651</string>
 <key>SMcputype</key>
 <string>769</string>
 <key>SMfamily</key>
 <string>MacBook Pro</string>
</dict>
</plist>

would be worth a test if you just went ahead and boot with that for a test and see if your DVD playback still works along with battery meter.

Please give me sometime to test it. I need to re-install SL to my Acer notebook. Just finished testing modified DSDT with Leo (flashed to BIOS). I'm currently set my Acer to MacBook5,1 in smbios.plist file (to get vanilla SpeedStep functionality in Leo & SL).