RESOLVED: Nividia 9800GT

ProgHippie

11 posts in this topic

Dear all

I got SL up and running on my system already:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

GT 9800 1024 MB

4 GB RAM

Now, the thing is that I can't seem to be activating QE with OSX86Tools, also I have only the following shown in system profiler:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT EFI:

Chipsatz-Modell: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT EFI

Typ: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 1024 MB

Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Geräte-ID: 0x0614

Versions-ID: 0x00a2

ROM-Version: 3172a

Monitore:

HP LP2475w:

Auflösung: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixeltiefe: 32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Rotation: Unterstützt

Monitoranschluss:

I used an EFI string to get the GFX working and I was looking for drivers but couldn't find anything. Maybe I am missing a link in my brain - who can help?

Thank you :(

RESOLVED:

1. ACTIVATED OPENGL, SEE BELOW

2. CREATED CUSTOM EFI STRING http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,64.0.html

NOW ALL RUNNING PERFECTLY

You can enable Quartz Extreme without installing anything by typing commands in the Terminal.

Check if Quartz Extreme is enabled:

sudo -s

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver GLCompositor

If it is enabled, you should read:

{tileHeight = 256; tileWidth = 256; }

You can enable Quartz Extreme without installing anything by typing the following from the command line:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver GLCompositor -dict tileHeight -int 256 tileWidth -int 256

Kill loginwindow (or restart) for changes to take effect:

kill `ps ax | grep loginwindow | grep -v grep | sed -e 's/[[:blank:]]*//' | sed -e 's/[[:blank:]].*//'`

Thanx this actually worked for me.....

well mvn4wrd, that worked, I get

bash-3.2# defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver GLCompositor{

tileHeight = 256;

tileWidth = 256;

}

bash-3.2#

so thank you. in system profiler, there is still no hardware acceleration given tho... does it just not show or is it not there?

well, looks like i was looking for something i couldn't find....

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/

ok, my install is rock solid now, it's only that OpenCL doesn't seem to work, the benchmark thing takes forever and I get like 2 refreshes per minute or so.

ALL RESOLVED

dumb me used the wrong benchmark tool (for ATI) ;)

my system now works flawlessly and rock solidly fast - thank you all for support!

Noticed a problem..

when I enable Quartz Extreme using the terminal commands, suddenly Geekbench won't open. crashes immediately.

Also noticing some strange glitchy black bars and effects in finder windows

If I disable it using:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver GLCompositor -dict tileHeight -int 0 tileWidth -int 0

Then logging out and back in

geekbench works again.

but no quartz extreme ;)

something got screwed up.....

• 1 month later...
Noticed a problem..

when I enable Quartz Extreme using the terminal commands, suddenly Geekbench won't open. crashes immediately.

Also noticing some strange glitchy black bars and effects in finder windows

If I disable it using:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver GLCompositor -dict tileHeight -int 0 tileWidth -int 0

Then logging out and back in

geekbench works again.

but no quartz extreme ;)

something got screwed up.....

Hello,

I have Quartz enabled and have added my EFI strings to com.apple.boot.plist, plus have put my vendor Id into NVDAN50Hal.kex + NVDAResman.kext for my gainward 8600 GT 1GB, plus have tried various other methords, and still i am getting the probls in finder as stated above.

My quartz is enabled and running fine, but im clueless to why i get this error "Can’t make "The domain/default pair of (com.apple.windowserver, QuartzGLEnabled) does not exist" into type boolean. (-1700)" In OSx86 tools. The reason i am miffed is because on the fisrt time i used the program after a fresh install, the program worked to enable it, when it came to disabling it it gave the error above.

the EFI string is enough in my set up to work, but having the extra info in the 2 .kexts aboveseemed to help as on boot with -v the NVDANV50Hal.kext, was Loaded successfully and activated.

dose not show without the device id in their.

My Mobo is P5KPL-AM (Think i was fisrt to get it to work on this exact mobo, have not seen any other post about SL on the P5KPL-AM.

My CPU = Q6600 @ 2.7

My Ram = OCR DDR2 800Mhz

My Graphics = Gainward 8600 GT 1GB

My Lan = RTL8106E - Got working in 32bit mode only with RTCNICv2.0.3.pkg,

Sound is Azillia audio with DSDT hack for HD.

If anyone can shead any light or help Brilliant

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
anyone have further info on this? I have my 8600+8800 both working, but no Quartz..I tried the terminal enabling, and when I read it it gives the right info, but no translucent finder bar.

I've tried terminal enabling and EFIStudio 1.1 but no Quartz yet. Looked at the guide the OP linked and found it confusing, anyone care to lend a hand?

• 7 months later...

I've the same problem with a Nvidia 9800GT,

when I check it from the terminal, I receive the message:

{
tileHeight = 256;
tileWidth = 256;
}

but it don't work in pratic!

So...if I start "Osx Tools" and try of to active the Quartz with " ENABLE/DISABLE Quartz GL" the program show this message:

"Can’t make "The domain/default pair of (com.apple.windowserver, QuartzGLEnabled) does not exist" into type boolean. (-1700)"

It's normal?!??

Best regards, D.