nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce 650i and 680i chipset nForce 750i and 780i chipset nForce 790i and 790i Ultra Possibly nForce 630i chipset

• Please log in to reply
2140 replies to this topic

Poll: Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop (211 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

1. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (34 votes [16.11%])

Percentage of vote: 16.11%

2. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (49 votes [23.22%])

Percentage of vote: 23.22%

3. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (18 votes [8.53%])

Percentage of vote: 8.53%

4. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (14 votes [6.64%])

Percentage of vote: 6.64%

5. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (13 votes [6.16%])

Percentage of vote: 6.16%

6. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (6 votes [2.84%])

Percentage of vote: 2.84%

7. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (10 votes [4.74%])

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

8. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (9 votes [4.27%])

Percentage of vote: 4.27%

9. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (7 votes [3.32%])

Percentage of vote: 3.32%

10. No, none of the above methods has worked for me (35 votes [16.59%])

Percentage of vote: 16.59%

11. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO..... (10 votes [4.74%])

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

12. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac (6 votes [2.84%])

Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

1. 100% (60 votes [28.44%])

Percentage of vote: 28.44%

2. 90% (53 votes [25.12%])

Percentage of vote: 25.12%

3. 80% (19 votes [9.00%])

Percentage of vote: 9.00%

4. 70% (19 votes [9.00%])

Percentage of vote: 9.00%

5. 60% (4 votes [1.90%])

Percentage of vote: 1.90%

6. 50% (6 votes [2.84%])

7. <50% (18 votes [8.53%])

Percentage of vote: 8.53%

8. Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems (20 votes [9.48%])

Percentage of vote: 9.48%

9. Are all the standard Apple applications running OK (12 votes [5.69%])

Percentage of vote: 5.69%

Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

1. SATA HDD (172 votes [13.31%])

Percentage of vote: 13.31%

2. SATA DVDRW including burning disks (47 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

3. PATA (IDE) HDD (42 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

4. PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks (51 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

5. Video (144 votes [11.15%])

Percentage of vote: 11.15%

6. Onboard LAN (Ethernet) (130 votes [10.06%])

Percentage of vote: 10.06%

7. USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse (160 votes [12.38%])

Percentage of vote: 12.38%

8. Firewire (54 votes [4.18%])

Percentage of vote: 4.18%

9. PS/2 keyboard and mouse (42 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

10. Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone (62 votes [4.80%])

Percentage of vote: 4.80%

11. Audio except Front Panel headphones (38 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

12. Audio except Front Panel microphone (27 votes [2.09%])

Percentage of vote: 2.09%

13. Sleep including waking from sleep (24 votes [1.86%])

Percentage of vote: 1.86%

14. PCI NIC (24 votes [1.86%])

Percentage of vote: 1.86%

15. eSATA (20 votes [1.55%])

Percentage of vote: 1.55%

16. Bluetooth (41 votes [3.17%])

Percentage of vote: 3.17%

17. WiFi (38 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

18. Time Machine (53 votes [4.10%])

Percentage of vote: 4.10%

19. Overclocking (34 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

20. Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1 (89 votes [6.89%])

Percentage of vote: 6.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >
@ Lonewolf1991
@ RaMDay

Regarding iATKOS S3 v2 and the RTC choices in the Installer Customise window, note that the default choice RTC installs the ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext, which is 64bit........whereas, selecting RTC(32bit) installs the LegacyAppleRTC.kext, which is 32bit.........

Even if you choose to stay with iATKOS S3 v2 rather than follow my recommendation do a full vanilla Snow Leopard Retail OS X Install DVD installation, with the necessary non-vanilla kexts placed, if at all possible, only in /Extra/Extensions/, using the guide in post #1, I still would recommend using a RTC patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra or in / because it will allow you to boot into 32bit, or into 63bit mode (if all kexts are 64bit only) at will........

Otherwise, if you are booting with arch=i386 and have installed the ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext, or are booting with arch=x86_64 and have installed the LegacyAppleRTC.kext, you will have boot problems........ :(

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Just wanted to post and say that everything worked out all right.. running SL 1.6 now
graphics works out of the box(no efi used)
audio/mic and network ofc works..

will be making a more extensive test later on, maybe tomorrow.

Thank you Verdant!

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

Just wanted to post and say that everything worked out all right.. running SL 1.6 now
graphics works out of the box(no efi used)
audio/mic and network ofc works..

will be making a more extensive test later on, maybe tomorrow.

Thank you Verdant!

Glad to help......... :) and thanks for proving that my retail install guide does work....... :D

Re graphics, what about full CI/QE and switching resolutions on the fly? See graphics section near the top of post #1........it explains what you need to do........

DJAngelicon

DJAngelicon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Believe it or not I just used the nForceSLBoot123DVD for Sata Drive and my retail Snow Leopard disk and I got to boot directly into the desktop on normal mode using -f -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 without any problems.

I am currently doing a TimeMachine backup so I can start experimenting with the drivers to get my devices fully working and to make sure I can boot without needing the nForceSLBoot123DVD disk. ;)

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

Believe it or not I just used the nForceSLBoot123DVD for Sata Drive and my retail Snow Leopard disk and I got to boot directly into the desktop on normal mode using -f -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 without any problems.

I am currently doing a TimeMachine backup so I can start experimenting with the drivers to get my devices fully working and to make sure I can boot without needing the nForceSLBoot123DVD disk. ;)

Note that TimeMachine backups will not be directly bootable because the HDD bootloader is not backed up with the OS X system backup.......

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Attached File  dsys.jpg   278.83KB   19 downloads

As you can see everything seems to have worked out with the graphics.. this was the case after installing chameleon rc4 on leo, so I guess the same thing goes here on SL.
And ofc adding:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>yes</string>
	<key>PciRoot</key>
	<string>1</string>
to com.apple.boot.plist.

Regarding CI/QE, got the transparent " application title bar" and the wave effect in the Dashboard.

*Restart and shutdown seems to work, but not sleep.

*From time to time on reboot I get "Still waiting for root device" and also random freezes(have done a repair permission and we shall se if the freeze comes back, running now for 10min).

More testings to come later on, backup first priority now :).

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

Attached File  dsys.jpg   278.83KB   19 downloads

As you can see everything seems to have worked out with the graphics.. this was the case after installing chameleon rc4 on leo, so I guess the same thing goes here on SL.
And ofc adding:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	 <string>yes</string>
	 <key>PciRoot</key>
	 <string>1</string>
to com.apple.boot.plist.

Regarding CI/QE, got the transparent " application title bar" and the wave effect in the Dashboard.

*Restart and shutdown seems to work, but not sleep.

*From time to time on reboot I get "Still waiting for root device" and also random freezes(have done a repair permission and we shall se if the freeze comes back, running now for 10min).

More testings to come later on, backup first priority now ;) .

Sleep/waking on nForce is still a problem........Southbridge/Northbridge temperature may be an issue on some nForce 780i MOBOs.......seemingly more so EVGA and XFX than Asus........see earlier posts with links........

DJAngelicon

DJAngelicon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Note that TimeMachine backups will not be directly bootable because the HDD bootloader is backed up with the OS X system backup.......

ic I notice that today.

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello, got a update on my progress regarding the freeze..

for the last couple of days I have been going crazy with the random freezes I get. Today I was trying to organize some folders on my win7 HDD while being booted in OSX and 10-30 sec's I got the freezing(every single time I was roaming around the win7 drive the freeze occurred).. Well I figured I'd unmount the drive and see what happens. was trying to figure out a good why to unmount the drive so that when osx booted it wouldn't mount the drive but unsuccessfully I decided to instead physically remove the drive. Now I have been running for more than 4 hours without a freeze.. Hope this helps others

And for those more experienced, any idea on how to keep a drive unmounted on startup.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

for the last couple of days I have been going crazy with the random freezes I get. Today I was trying to organize some folders on my win7 HDD while being booted in OSX and 10-30 sec's I got the freezing(every single time I was roaming around the win7 drive the freeze occurred).. Well I figured I'd unmount the drive and see what happens. was trying to figure out a good why to unmount the drive so that when osx booted it wouldn't mount the drive but unsuccessfully I decided to instead physically remove the drive. Now I have been running for more than 4 hours without a freeze.. Hope this helps others

And for those more experienced, any idea on how to keep a drive unmounted on startup.

Try the following:

1. Go to Terminal and type
sudo nano

2. In the nano editor window that opens, type this line
LABEL="VolumeName" none ntfs noauto
where "VolumeName" is the name of the Win7 volume you want to stop mounting in OS X

3. Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press Ctrl O and type at the File Name to Write: prompt
/private/etc/fstab
then press Enter, to save the new fstab file.

4. Then to see if the newly created fstab file is in the /private/etc/ directory type
cd /private/etc/
 ls

5. Press Ctrl X to Exit and type
exit
at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal......

MacheT

MacheT

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi, I've been very concern about the freezing lately also; but I think maybe there should be another reason; since yesterday, after some freezings I realized I had physically unplugged my win 7 sata drive so it couldn't be responsible for the freezings.

Maybe It has to do with the sata disk usage ... in my case the freezings started to become very frequently from 4 weeks ago .. and it happens much more frequently when I boot into 10.6.2. Now I started to use more a new install with 10.6.4 but it also freezes every now and then.

I've checked all HDDs with Disk Utility, DiskTools Pro and Disk Genius and they seem to be OK.

In other matters, have you tried to give a shot on the new updates on the chameleon 2 RC5 does it's been updating lately ... It seems to me that all that power management It suppose to solve may be a path for us in the quest of sleep issue solving. Don't you agree?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

Hi, I've been very concern about the freezing lately also; but I think maybe there should be another reason; since yesterday, after some freezings I realized I had physically unplugged my win 7 sata drive so it couldn't be responsible for the freezings.

Maybe It has to do with the sata disk usage ... in my case the freezings started to become very frequently from 4 weeks ago .. and it happens much more frequently when I boot into 10.6.2. Now I started to use more a new install with 10.6.4 but it also freezes every now and then.

I've checked all HDDs with Disk Utility, DiskTools Pro and Disk Genius and they seem to be OK.

In other matters, have you tried to give a shot on the new updates on the chameleon 2 RC5 does it's been updating lately ... It seems to me that all that power management It suppose to solve may be a path for us in the quest of sleep issue solving. Don't you agree?

As for freezing issues..........one way or another, it comes back to the nForce Southbridge chipset, which controls all the device I/O such as USB, SATA, PATA and Firewire.......if you have freezing during heavy data transfers, then boot with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 to transfer the data ......when data transfer to/between HDD(s) is complete, boot into OS X again as normal, so that all cores and memory are available......

It is a possibility..........it depends upon the MOBOs used for testing Chameleon 2.0 RC5..........we will see........ :)

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I really hope that I have stroked gold by unmounting my win7 HDD, have not had a freeze for more than 12 hours I would say.. been transferring data, listening to music and surfing all at the same time.. have not had any problems at all.. one other note is that I use firefox.. I did also get freezes for a while back with safari..

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

I really hope that I have stroked gold by unmounting my win7 HDD, have not had a freeze for more than 12 hours I would say.. been transferring data, listening to music and surfing all at the same time.. have not had any problems at all.. one other note is that I use firefox.. I did also get freezes for a while back with safari..

So, did you use the command line
LABEL="VolumeName" none ntfs noauto
from earlier my post.........?

You can use Disk Utility to repair the OS X permissions and then try Safari again.........

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
no, I haven't used the command line guide you posted earlier yet.. have been transferring so much files around that I forgot about it... but I'm sure it will work(everything by verdant works :D )... I will try out that tomorrow..

OSX is so much nice to use that I have completely forgotten about win7...

btw.. atm I'm running osx 1.6 could/should I upgrade to 1.6.4?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

no, I haven't used the command line guide you posted earlier yet.. have been transferring so much files around that I forgot about it... but I'm sure it will work(everything by verdant works :) )... I will try out that tomorrow..

OSX is so much nice to use that I have completely forgotten about win7...

btw.. atm I'm running osx 1.6 could/should I upgrade to 1.6.4?

Yes, download and run the standalone 10.6.4 Combo Update installer..........backup your OS X system to the 2nd OS X volume I hope you have set up (as I recommend) and quit all open applications before running the installer............if you have any problems, then boot in verbose Safe Mode (i.e. boot with -v -x) and then re-run the Combo Update Installer..........running OS X installers in Safe Mode can be very effective at solving system problems because of what Safe Mode accomplishes.......see here.........

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes, I did as you suggested. divided my 500gb sata into two equaly sized partitions "osXed" and "osXup" and used Carbon copy cloner to clone osx over and it shows up as bootable..

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

Yes, I did as you suggested. divided my 500gb sata into two equaly sized partitions "osXed" and "osXup" and used Carbon copy cloner to clone osx over and it shows up as bootable..

You should be OK then.........but first check that you can boot into both systems.........it is good you chose HDD volume names without any spaces.......makes command line stuff much easier as spaces in the name do not need 'escaping'.........:)

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
yes, the clone was bootable..

The strange thing was that in chameleon screen there where 4 apple logo's, like following ( osXed - osXup - osXed - osXup). the first two where bootable but the third wouldn't completely boot, just did the same output as displayed in verbous and then nothing.. :) hmm.. I'm guessing the same thing will happen with the forth choice..

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

yes, the clone was bootable..

The strange thing was that in chameleon screen there where 4 apple logo's, like following ( osXed - osXup - osXed - osXup). the first two where bootable but the third wouldn't boot in just did the same output as displayed in verbous and then nothing.. :) hmm

I would reinstall Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 on the HDD OS X volumes.........

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nForce chipset + Intel CPU, nForce 650i and 680i chipset, nForce 750i and 780i chipset, nForce 790i and 790i Ultra, Possibly nForce 630i chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy