nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

dont worry about patching this...

I GOT MY SOUND WORKING!!!

xxxxxxxxxxx

So i got my main things working (graphics, sound, and usb)

is there any other common issues i need to look for...

yesterday I went to install world of warcraft and during the install it kept crashing my system

i ended up using maxmem=4000

and now that worked.. whats up with that?

also i set all my power options to off because if it went to sleep it would crash the system... (this is fine unless there is a fix)

is there any issues with screen saver crashes?

dont worry about patching this...

I GOT MY SOUND WORKING!!!

xxxxxxxxxxx

So i got my main things working (graphics, sound, and usb)

is there any other common issues i need to look for...

yesterday I went to install world of warcraft and during the install it kept crashing my system

i ended up using maxmem=4000

and now that worked.. whats up with that?

also i set all my power options to off because if it went to sleep it would crash the system... (this is fine unless there is a fix)

is there any issues with screen saver crashes?

That is good news..... :)

What was the fix for your sound setup?

What AppleNForceATA.kext are you booting into 32bit mode with?

Sleep is still an issue with nForce MOBOs........so do not attempt to put OS X to sleep.....

Have you used Disk Utility to repair system permissions yet?

10.6.8 is up and running on Striker Extreme 680i and ATI 4870. I reverted to 10.6.2 AppleHDA and IOUSB kexts. Initially, USB was not working with my heavily modified DSDT. I reverted to my original DSDT dump with just the cmos and hdef fixes, and everything is now running smoothly (though it takes about twice as long to boot).

10.6.8 is up and running on Striker Extreme 680i and ATI 4870. I reverted to 10.6.2 AppleHDA and IOUSB kexts. Initially, USB was not working with my heavily modified DSDT. I reverted to my original DSDT dump with just the cmos and hdef fixes, and everything is now running smoothly (though it takes about twice as long to boot).

That is good news.........I have just updated a clone of my 10.6.3 master system to 10.6.8 using the standalone Combo Update (as always) without any issues.........I have not noticed a slow down in bootup........I will time 10.6.7 versus 10.6.8 when I get some time......

I automatically rolled back to 10.6.2 AppleHDA and the sound is fine........as yet I have not rollbacked any IOUSB kexts because System Profiler shows both the USB 1.1 and the USB 2.0 bus as expected.......I will test USB functionality when I get a chance.....

Bootup times:

10.6.7 Internal SATA II 1TB HDD 36 seconds

10.6.8 External eSATA II 500GB HD (via JMicronATA kext) 53 seconds

I will update the internal 10.6.7 system to 10.6.8 and re-time the bootup.....36 seconds; so no different from 10.6.7..... :D

USB on 10.6.8 External eSATA II 500GB HD (via JMicronATA kext)........no problems, so no rollback required

Edited by verdant

you can use efi studio to create a efi string.... I had just dl the program like 30 mins ago and was messing with it, if you choose display you wont see your graphics card from the pull down menu, but there is a custom button it will grab ur card info and make an efi string for you

I'm not sure the EFI Studio would work, would it? I thought it is only for 1 GFX card, and not 2.

I tried using Aquamacs method, but I can't put a video card in the bottom slot, otherwise I get a message saying to put it in the 1st PCI slot because its not in SLI.

Also, what is considered sleep? Is that the same as the monitors being turned off, or are we talking "Sleep" as in hibernating"

That is good news..... :)

What was the fix for your sound setup?

What AppleNForceATA.kext are you booting into 32bit mode with?

Sleep is still an issue with nForce MOBOs........so do not attempt to put OS X to sleep.....

Have you used Disk Utility to repair system permissions yet?

edited dsdt with the kext you recommended

ya my system permissions were set the other day, but i had used kext helper, isnt there a step in kext helper that does permissions?

Also, what is considered sleep? Is that the same as the monitors being turned off, or are we talking "Sleep" as in hibernating"

About Energy Saver sleep and idle modes in Mac OS X

Im sure you already have, but if you haven't, try to get support for sli on aqua's thread. I don't know about verdant, but I personally have 0 experience with sli on mac.

I'm not sure the EFI Studio would work, would it? I thought it is only for 1 GFX card, and not 2.

I tried using Aquamacs method, but I can't put a video card in the bottom slot, otherwise I get a message saying to put it in the 1st PCI slot because its not in SLI.

SLI mode is not supported by OS X as far as I am aware and also as aqua-mac says regarding his dual graphics card/string approach:

THIS MAY NOT WORK ON MOTHERBOARDS WITH NVIDIA CHIPSETS!

aquamac: 01/06/08

modified: 10/11/08

FOOTNOTE: On Gigabyte and some other boards, you will need to set your bios to boot from PEG2 and put your main card in the second PCIe slot. Failure to do this will result in a kernel panic or your system will hang at the blue boot screen.

Read more: http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...9#ixzz1QJfJpQT8

"Sleep" means putting the PC to sleep in either sleep/stand-by mode (where the CPU is powered down but the RAM remains powered-up so that the RAM contents remain instantly available on resume/wake-up from sleep, i.e. the PC is on stand-by), or hibernation mode (where the RAM contents are copied to the HDD and then the RAM and CPU are powered down, i.e. the PC shuts off)

First of all I wanna thank everybody involved, most of all verdant, for taking the time to gather all the required info in one place...

Second, it's 2:30AM and I'm going bonkers. It's been a week since I've started my trip to OSX land, and so far I've managed to fix all my troubles with hardcore googling and without pulling anyones sleeve to fix my stuff, but for this one I'm apparently either too stupid or a solution is not available yet..

I'm running vanilla 10.6.8 SL, and I'd like to have proper sound, VoodooHDA doesn't do it for me, the sound does work but every few minutes I hear crackling and God forbid if i turn the volume up a bit, it gets unbearable. I've tried patching my dsdl but the closest i got was to get the system profiler to display audioid: 12..

Sleep isn't working either but that I can live without.

Could someone pretty plehease take a look at my files and perhaps fix my dsdl & tell me what kext files i need to install for it work?

I'm on a P5N-D motherboard, I've included my codecdump, dsdt.aml & kextstat log, not sure what other relevant info is required...

Thanks in advance, either way

NeXs_ALC883.zip

First of all I wanna thank everybody involved, most of all verdant, for taking the time to gather all the required info in one place...

Second, it's 2:30AM and I'm going bonkers. It's been a week since I've started my trip to OSX land, and so far I've managed to fix all my troubles with hardcore googling and without pulling anyones sleeve to fix my stuff, but for this one I'm apparently either too stupid or a solution is not available yet..

I'm running vanilla 10.6.8 SL, and I'd like to have proper sound, VoodooHDA doesn't do it for me, the sound does work but every few minutes I hear crackling and God forbid if i turn the volume up a bit, it gets unbearable. I've tried patching my dsdl but the closest i got was to get the system profiler to display audioid: 12..

Sleep isn't working either but that I can live without.

Could someone pretty plehease take a look at my files and perhaps fix my dsdl & tell me what kext files i need to install for it work?

I'm on a P5N-D motherboard, I've included my codecdump, dsdt.aml & kextstat log, not sure what other relevant info is required...

Thanks in advance, either way

Here is your fixed DSDT file......rename dsdt.aml as DSDT.aml and put in /Extra or in /

NeXssss_Fixed_DSDT.zip

for use with a Realtek ALC883 Legacy kext in /E/E/ with AppleHDA.kext (10.6.2) in /S/L/E/.......

Here is your fixed DSDT file......rename dsdt.aml as DSDT.aml and put in /Extra or in /

NeXssss_Fixed_DSDT.zip

for use with a Realtek ALC883 Legacy kext in /E/E/ with AppleHDA.kext (10.6.2) in /S/L/E/.......

thanks, but still no luck..sys profiles shows audioid:12 and 4 jacks; lineout, 2x eternal mic and headphones (i have 6 on the motherboard)

I’m getting a bunch of sound assortion errors on boot as you can see from the dmesg

dmesg http://pastebin.com/hte6RGWq

kextstat http://pastebin.com/PsgftbSZ

also i find it difficult to find legacyalc883 hda files, i found 2-3 from random google results but not sure how reliable they are, perhaps you could point me where to look for proven good ones? the applehda should be 10.6.2 though, i used the rollback option from the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] installer so at least that has to be correct...

thanks, but still no luck..sys profiles shows audioid:12 and 4 jacks; lineout, 2x eternal mic and headphones (i have 6 on the motherboard)

I’m getting a bunch of sound assortion errors on boot as you can see from the dmesg

dmesg http://pastebin.com/hte6RGWq

kextstat http://pastebin.com/PsgftbSZ

also i find it difficult to find legacyalc883 hda files, i found 2-3 from random google results but not sure how reliable they are, perhaps you could point me where to look for proven good ones? the applehda should be 10.6.2 though, i used the rollback option from the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] installer so at least that has to be correct...

Try BlackCH's ALC 883 LegacyHDA kexts for SL.......put all three kexts into /Extra/Extensions/.......

ALC883_LegacyHDA_SnowLeopard.zip

Try BlackCH's ALC 883 LegacyHDA kexts for SL.......put all three kexts into /Extra/Extensions/.......

ALC883_LegacyHDA_SnowLeopard.zip

unfortunately i get the same sound assertion errors as before..

btw thanks for taking the time to try and sort this out, it’s appreciated

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1656 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1656 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

unfortunately i get the same sound assertion errors as before..

btw thanks for taking the time to try and sort this out, it’s appreciated

What kexts do you have in /Extra/Extensions/ currently..........as sound assertion errors may not necessarily be due to an incorrectly patched legacy audio codec kext.......

AppleNForceSata (64bit version, system is running with 386 arch though)

FakeSMC

nForceLan

NullCpuPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

OK......although the HDEF patch in your DSDT.aml file is a general audio injection patch from THe KiNG and should work for all codecs, here is one for nVidia MOBOs from THe KiNG also:

NeXssss_Fixed_DSDT_v2.zip

See if it makes a difference......if not you will need to look for a ALC883 specific HDEF section and/or correct legacy kext for ALC883 with the correct verbs etc......

BTW do you mean AppleNForceSata or AppleNForceATA.........I use AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext from my Snow Support Files v2.3 for 32bit mode or AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext for 64bit mode from Part K. item 6......

Edited by verdant

yeah that was just the typo, i use the same kext, even tried to switch it out for the slash one just now, but the error remains the same...

thanks for trying at least, I wish I knew at least who the culprit is, dsdl or legacykexts, assuming the applehda is good..I presume there is no way to test if either of them are good until you get both right and your sound is working..

yeah that was just the typo, i use the same kext, even tried to switch it out for the slash one just now, but the error remains the same...

thanks for trying at least, I wish I knew at least who the culprit is, dsdl or legacykexts, assuming the applehda is good..I presume there is no way to test if either of them are good until you get both right and your sound is working..

Try this: alc883device51106107.pdf

with DSDT HDEF patch and patched AppleHDA in place of ALC883 legacy kext and 10.6.2 vanilla AppleHDA (Keep backup just in case).......

Try this: alc883device51106107.pdf

with DSDT HDEF patch and patched AppleHDA in place of ALC883 legacy kext and 10.6.2 vanilla AppleHDA (Keep backup just in case).......

nothing, tried with the hdef dsdl code from the pdf, and your versions, with both kext’s from the link in the pdf...the hda kexts don’t even load now O.o

nothing, tried with the hdef dsdl code from the pdf, and your versions, with both kext’s from the link in the pdf...the hda kexts don’t even load now O.o

Pity about that......one kext was SL and the other Lion......it looks as if you probably need to find the correct ALC883 legacy kext to use with 10.6.2 AppleHDA......see here and here and here.......I am presuming you have seen jingu's post (post #2 here)......sorry to not be of more help....... :(

@verdant

hey idk what happened, i have been working on my bros amd nforce for a while now...

Anyway I finally just turned on my 650i intel core 2 duo build and its not mounting my thumb drive anymore..

it was working before..

My usb mouse works..

any ideas?

i tried reinstalling what made it work in the first place...

im currently running 10.6.7

@verdant

hey idk what happened, i have been working on my bros amd nforce for a while now...

Anyway I finally just turned on my 650i intel core 2 duo build and its not mounting my thumb drive anymore..

it was working before..

My usb mouse works..

any ideas?

i tried reinstalling what made it work in the first place...

im currently running 10.6.7

See here about kernel and System kext versions having to match etc. but also try rolling back to the 10.6.4 IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts........

See here about kernel and System kext versions having to match etc. but also try rolling back to the 10.6.4 IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts........

i had 10.7 on both, i had checked that..

used 10.6.4

first i put them in e/e

then i booted and didnt work,

so i tired in s/l/e

still nothing

i had 10.7 on both, i had checked that..

used 10.6.4

first i put them in e/e

then i booted and didnt work,

so i tired in s/l/e

still nothing

What is System Profiler currently showing for USB......?

just my mouse

I also have a thumbdrive plugged in that is read by everyother mac in the house

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBOHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x026d

PCI Revision ID: 0x00a3

PCI Vendor ID: 0x10de

Bus Number: 0x0b

SteelSeries Gaming Device:

Product ID: 0x1360

Vendor ID: 0x1038

Version: 5.05

Serial Number: SteelSeries Gaming Device

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Ruling Technologies Sdn. Bhd.

Location ID: 0x0b700000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 300