nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

@ joejoe317

It is good to see you helping johnco1992.......as I do not have much time at present to give such extensive replies....... :worried_anim:

appreciate that, the least i can do for your help...

tearing through your guides and putting everything together is a task upon itself...

do you think when you get time if you can help me try and get some progress on my audio and usbs?

9) when chameleon loads hit any key and use -v

-v doesnt seem to work..it just goes black and reboots itself...could smbios.plist be causing this since i didnt modify it :worried_anim: Thanks for your help

just in case...i also installed with the nforceSL132 method

-v doesnt seem to work..it just goes black and reboots itself...could smbios.plist be causing this since i didnt modify it :worried_anim: Thanks for your help

just in case...i also installed with the nforceSL132 method

you were supposed to put the uuid in the smbios.plist

did you put arch=i386 in the boot.plist?

this boots it to 32bit mode,

also you can try -x as well to put in safe mode

what kind of graphics are you using? is it on board or a pci-e card?

you were supposed to put the uuid in the smbios.plist

did you put arch=i386 in the boot.plist?

this boots it to 32bit mode,

also you can try -x as well to put in safe mode

what kind of graphics are you using? is it on board or a pci-e card?

Could I modify them now after installing sl or do i have to restart. By the way I have a pci-e (8800 gtx)

Could I modify them now after installing sl or do i have to restart. By the way I have a pci-e (8800 gtx)

I used to own that card i know that it works...

in the little guide i threw together i wrote to install leopard, and its exactly for reasons like this

kalyway is really easy to install and boot, so i would recommend throwing that on a different partition so you can work on that stuff

I used to own that card i know that it works...

in the little guide i threw together i wrote to install leopard, and its exactly for reasons like this

kalyway is really easy to install and boot, so i would recommend throwing that on a different partition so you can work on that stuff

i already have leopard installed on one partition

Wow....i finally got into snow leopard by using safe mode, but normal mode doesnt work. Any ideas? Thanks everyone

you can use osx86tools to make an efi string, or you can see if there is anything avail for that graphics card...

you might have a conflicting driver/kext perhaps if you can boot with safe mode

How do you upgrade the smbios?

I tried to go from the 2,1 that is in snow support files to 5,1

now i get kernel panics

is there a guide somewhere on the proper way to upgrade it?

i read that in order to install the nvidia driver you need 3,1 4,1 or 5,1 smbios

Hello everyone. Hopefully, someone can help me with an issue I am having. I posted a topic in the Nvidia Graphics section, but also want to post here for more help as well

First things first, here are my specs:

Intel Q6600 Quad @ 2.4ghz

nForce680i SLI

PNY GTX 480 Video card

2GB Ram

And 3 hard drives.

I successfully installed Hazards 10.6.2, and was having problems getting my Video card to function properly. I read that 10.6.7 had Native drivers for the GTX 480. I successfully updated to 10.6.7, but the OS is still not recognizing my video card. When I boot up with flags -v -f arch=i386, I see that it states "NVDAGF100Hal Loaded and registered" but still only able to see 1024x768 resolution, and when going to more info, and graphics cards, there is no information about the GTX 480. I have tried using EFI Studio and injecting the string, but that does not work, and I have set "GraphicsEnabler" to yes, and still not getting anywhere.

someone suggested installing the Quadro 4000 Drivers, and see if that works, I have yet to go home and try it, but will surely give it a shot.

If anyone could help me with this issue, that would be great!

Thank you!

|-Goku-|

PS: Thank you Verdant for all the time you take to answer our questions

Hello everyone. Hopefully, someone can help me with an issue I am having. I posted a topic in the Nvidia Graphics section, but also want to post here for more help as well

First things first, here are my specs:

Intel Q6600 Quad @ 2.4ghz

nForce680i SLI

PNY GTX 480 Video card

2GB Ram

And 3 hard drives.

I successfully installed Hazards 10.6.2, and was having problems getting my Video card to function properly. I read that 10.6.7 had Native drivers for the GTX 480. I successfully updated to 10.6.7, but the OS is still not recognizing my video card. When I boot up with flags -v -f arch=i386, I see that it states "NVDAGF100Hal Loaded and registered" but still only able to see 1024x768 resolution, and when going to more info, and graphics cards, there is no information about the GTX 480. I have tried using EFI Studio and injecting the string, but that does not work, and I have set "GraphicsEnabler" to yes, and still not getting anywhere.

someone suggested installing the Quadro 4000 Drivers, and see if that works, I have yet to go home and try it, but will surely give it a shot.

If anyone could help me with this issue, that would be great!

Thank you!

|-Goku-|

PS: Thank you Verdant for all the time you take to answer our questions

I am in the same boat you are right now.

I have a 650i board with a 460gtx and i have dont all that you have plus i have tried those drivers from nvidia as well..

I am so stumped right now and there is virtually 0 discussions that I can find anything useful

I do have to say that i even went in the dsdt, tony the creator of [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] has a kind of how to guide onto making your dsdt compatible with it...

The only problem I encountered is that my DSDT says nothing about display or any other key works that should bring something up in search on the program you edit it in.

if you want to read more here is the link

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/adv...a-graphics.html

I think our cards and chipsets are really similar, its funny that we are both having the same issue.... we might be on to something.

What brand is your graphics card? I have an EVGA GTX 460 se

Also I havent gotten my usb or sound to work yet... Have you with 10.6.7, i have been so focused on this graphics card thing that i havent even started researching that stuff lol

my sounds is alc888 I havent been able to get that to work with kexts or anything..

usb i havent even touch yet...

In [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] tony has stuff for that but non of it worked...

also i am using chameleon v2 rc5 r877

I am in the same boat you are right now.

I have a 650i board with a 460gtx and i have dont all that you have plus i have tried those drivers from nvidia as well..

I am so stumped right now and there is virtually 0 discussions that I can find anything useful

I do have to say that i even went in the dsdt, tony the creator of [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] has a kind of how to guide onto making your dsdt compatible with it...

The only problem I encountered is that my DSDT says nothing about display or any other key works that should bring something up in search on the program you edit it in.

if you want to read more here is the link

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/adv...a-graphics.html

I think our cards and chipsets are really similar, its funny that we are both having the same issue.... we might be on to something.

What brand is your graphics card? I have an EVGA GTX 460 se

Also I havent gotten my usb or sound to work yet... Have you with 10.6.7, i have been so focused on this graphics card thing that i havent even started researching that stuff lol

my sounds is alc888 I havent been able to get that to work with kexts or anything..

usb i havent even touch yet...

In [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] tony has stuff for that but non of it worked...

also i am using chameleon v2 rc5 r877

I have a PNY GTX 480. I have yet to try to install the drivers that were suggested, but I will when I get home.

My USB works fine, but it worked OOB, might have been because I used a different Distro than you.

My sound isn't working, but I haven't touched that at all. I do know that my 8800 GTS works fine when using the NVEnabler.

From what I understand, that tonymac guide does not work for GTX 480's. But I could be wrong. They don't support nvidia chipset motherboards on there site, and were very rude when I asked about this problem that we are having, and than deleted my post.

But when I get home and test the drivers, I will surely comeback and let you know :)

Installing the drivers did not resolve the issue

After installing the drivers that i was told to use, I used the EFI Studios GTX 480 ONLY and put the EFI string into the boot.plist under the Extras folder, it still did not show up as detected when I booted it into the OS.

Anyone else have any ideas, or maybe I am doing something wrong?

@ johnco1992, joejoe317, Gokou340

I am glad that johnco1992 has been able to get SL installed and running with joejoe317's help and may now be able to help others.......

From my Snow Leopard Retail Install Guide:

The 3 easiest methods for getting an nVidia graphics card working in Snow Leopard are as follows (easiest first).

1. Chameleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

2. Hexadecimal graphics string option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.." </string>

where the graphics string is generated by EFIStudio v1.1 or OSx86Tools.....

3. NVEnabler injector kext, Injector kext, which enables TV-OUT and injects 2nd display operation very well......

The NVEnabler.kext (32bit/64bit) is not just another injector kext because it does on-the-fly ROM patching to give a more stable output configuration.......but you still need to insert your graphics card(s) Device ID into the Info.plist files of the NVDAResman.kext and the NVDANV40hal.kext or NVDANV50hal.kext (to see which of these kexts you need to modify to suit your graphics card(s), look at the list of Snow Leopard supported nVidia cards in post 1.......the older NVDANV30Hal, NVDANV20Hal and NVDANV10Hal kexts are not present in Snow Leopard.....).

Finally, if you are familiar with DSDT modding, you can choose to modify your DSDT.aml file with information on your NVCap values obtained via IORegistry Editor, which is the newest method but also the cleanest, most "vanilla" method because it is DSDT-based, rather than involving com.apple.Boot.plist changes, or using a non-vanilla kext.......

NOTE: The methods above are mutually exclusive......use only one.

So, for your nVidia graphics cards / video issues, I suggest you start by installing Chameleon 2.0 RC5 latest revision and update to at least 10.6.5.......preferably 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 and in com.apple.Boot.plist, put

<string>Yes</string>

If that alone does not work, then try:

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

Only if the above does not work, then try a EFI graphics string, or try NVEnabler.kext, remembering to insert your graphics card Device ID into the Info.plist files of the NVDAResman.kext and the appropriate NVDANVxxhal.kext for your graphics card.....

Try the DSDT approach as a last resort because you need to fully understand what you are doing......

As stated above, these methods above are mutually exclusive......only use one at a time.

Undo any changes you make with one approach before you try another approach......

[/b] So, for your nVidia graphics cards / video issues, I suggest you start by installing Chameleon 2.0 RC5 latest revision and update to at least 10.6.5.......preferably 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 and in com.apple.Boot.plist, put

<string>Yes</string>

If that alone does not work, then try:

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

Only if the above does not work, then try a EFI graphics string, or try NVEnabler.kext, remembering to insert your graphics card Device ID into the Info.plist files of the NVDAResman.kext and the appropriate NVDANVxxhal.kext for your graphics card.....

Try the DSDT approach as a last resort because you need to fully understand what you are doing......

As stated above, these methods above are mutually exclusive......only use one at a time.

Undo any changes you make with one approach before you try another approach......

Shoot I wish i read your post earlier because i edited my dsdt... was able to compile with 0 errors but it still didnt work...

I need to probably follow your pciRoot, i have tried with just graphics enabler set to yes with no luck

I was able to resolve my issue by added boot flag "PCIRootUID=1"

This worked like a charm, just need to get both cards working now :P

Hope this helps

Was that with or without the efi string? I dont remember reading how you created the efi string, was it through osx86tools? If you did write where you did im sorry, i am going back to read now

w00t my graphics card is now working..

I got it working by using PCIRoot=0

setting it to 1 didnt work

also graphicsenabler=yes

xxxxxxxxx

I then proceeded to change my DSDT to how it was before to see if thats what made it work...

It will worked after that,

so then i took graphics enabler off and it stopped working

GeForce GTX 460 SE:

Chipset Model: GeForce GTX 460 SE

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0e23

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 70.04.29.00.62

Displays:

2036:

Resolution: 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How can i tell if my graphics are fully enables with quartz etc?

Now i need to fix my usb, and audio...

I keep getting random kernel panics too every once and a while if i leave the machine idle..

screen saver or nothing doesnt come on..

I have more things to work on but usb and audio are priority 1 now.

Also does pciroot mean that is the pci slot the card is on? if so should i have mine on 1 instead of 0?

@ joejoe317

From post #1

Indications that Core Image (CI) and Quartz Extreme (QE) are both enabled in Snow Leopard

If CI and QE are not fully enabled for your graphics card(s), then you will probably experience so-called mouse pointer "tearing", display-screen artifacts such as horizontal dashes, poor display refresh-rates, fixed screen-resolution etc.

In Leopard, System Profiler > Graphics/Displays would directly indicate this because Core Image would be shown as "Hardware Accelerated" and Quartz Extreme as "Supported" BUT this is no longer the case in Snow Leopard.

However, there are 3 key ways to confirm that the Core Image functioning is hardware accelerated and that Quartz Extreme functioning is supported:

1. The top-menu bar is transluscent i.e. the underlying Desktop image is visible through the menu bar

2. When you run the Front Row app, it opens and functions fully....

3. If, when you click on the Dashboard icon in Dock or run the Dashboard app and add a widget, either via the LHS "+" button and clicking on a widget icon in the bottom widgets bar, or by 'dragging and dropping' a widget, you should see a "real-time" water-ripple effect as the new widget is "dropped" into the Dashboard.......

A MOBO may have pciroot = 0 or pciroot=1 to find your pciroot value, use this command in Terminal:

ioreg -l | grep -15  "AppleACPIPCI" | grep "_UID"

ioreg -l | grep -15  "AppleACPIPCI" | grep "_UID"

sweet, it returned 0... would have been nice to figure that out a few days ago... Hackintosh life goes as it is

So I just found out by messing with my DSDT that I have

HDAC audio alc888

I have been trying to search around to get this to work but haven't come across anything

do you know any methods that work with HDAC... and is HDAC azalia?

sweet, it returned 0... would have been nice to figure that out a few days ago... Hackintosh life goes as it is

So I just found out by messing with my DSDT that I have

HDAC audio alc888

I have been trying to search around to get this to work but haven't come across anything

do you know any methods that work with HDAC... and is HDAC azalia?

I recommend using a DTGP and HDEF patched DSDT.aml file with a legacy ALC888 kext in /Extra and OS X 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/.......post your original unpatched dsdt.dsl or dsdt.aml file........

I recommend using a DTGP and HDEF patched DSDT.aml file with a legacy ALC888 kext in /Extra and OS X 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/.......post your original unpatched dsdt.dsl or dsdt.aml file........

Here is my clean DSDT.aml

I also have my kextstat and ioreg -fl

Would you happen to know anything about the usb and why it wont mount... I only found the old thread your sent me to, but that was for leopard.

joejoe317_ioreg__fl.rtf

joejoe317_kextstat.rtf

Hey Verdant,

Would the best way for me to get my second GTX 480 to work would be by using an EFI string like Aquamac had done?

If so, do I need to take out PCIRootUID=1 from my boot flag?

Thanks!

Also Joejoe, glad you got the video working :D

Hey Verdant,

Would the best way for me to get my second GTX 480 to work would be by using an EFI string like Aquamac had done?

If so, do I need to take out PCIRootUID=1 from my boot flag?

Thanks!

Also Joejoe, glad you got the video working :D

you can use efi studio to create a efi string.... I had just dl the program like 30 mins ago and was messing with it, if you choose display you wont see your graphics card from the pull down menu, but there is a custom button it will grab ur card info and make an efi string for you