nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce 650i and 680i chipset nForce 750i and 780i chipset nForce 790i and 790i Ultra Possibly nForce 630i chipset

• Please log in to reply
2141 replies to this topic

Poll: Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop (212 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

1. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (34 votes [16.04%])

Percentage of vote: 16.04%

2. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (50 votes [23.58%])

Percentage of vote: 23.58%

3. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (18 votes [8.49%])

Percentage of vote: 8.49%

4. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (14 votes [6.60%])

Percentage of vote: 6.60%

5. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (13 votes [6.13%])

Percentage of vote: 6.13%

6. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (6 votes [2.83%])

Percentage of vote: 2.83%

7. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (10 votes [4.72%])

Percentage of vote: 4.72%

8. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (9 votes [4.25%])

Percentage of vote: 4.25%

9. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (7 votes [3.30%])

Percentage of vote: 3.30%

10. No, none of the above methods has worked for me (35 votes [16.51%])

Percentage of vote: 16.51%

11. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO..... (10 votes [4.72%])

Percentage of vote: 4.72%

12. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac (6 votes [2.83%])

Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

1. 100% (60 votes [28.30%])

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

2. 90% (53 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. 80% (20 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

4. 70% (19 votes [8.96%])

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

5. 60% (4 votes [1.89%])

Percentage of vote: 1.89%

6. 50% (6 votes [2.83%])

7. <50% (18 votes [8.49%])

Percentage of vote: 8.49%

8. Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems (20 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

9. Are all the standard Apple applications running OK (12 votes [5.66%])

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

1. SATA HDD (172 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

2. SATA DVDRW including burning disks (47 votes [3.62%])

Percentage of vote: 3.62%

3. PATA (IDE) HDD (42 votes [3.24%])

Percentage of vote: 3.24%

4. PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks (51 votes [3.93%])

Percentage of vote: 3.93%

5. Video (145 votes [11.17%])

Percentage of vote: 11.17%

6. Onboard LAN (Ethernet) (131 votes [10.09%])

Percentage of vote: 10.09%

7. USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse (161 votes [12.40%])

Percentage of vote: 12.40%

8. Firewire (54 votes [4.16%])

Percentage of vote: 4.16%

9. PS/2 keyboard and mouse (42 votes [3.24%])

Percentage of vote: 3.24%

10. Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone (63 votes [4.85%])

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

11. Audio except Front Panel headphones (38 votes [2.93%])

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

12. Audio except Front Panel microphone (27 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

13. Sleep including waking from sleep (24 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

14. PCI NIC (24 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

15. eSATA (20 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

16. Bluetooth (41 votes [3.16%])

Percentage of vote: 3.16%

17. WiFi (38 votes [2.93%])

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

18. Time Machine (53 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

19. Overclocking (35 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

20. Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1 (90 votes [6.93%])

Percentage of vote: 6.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Lonewolf1991

Lonewolf1991

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Same thing happens, the monitor just turns off but everything else keeps running :\

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

Same thing happens, the monitor just turns off but everything else keeps running :\

A. First recommendation..........always have 2 fully working OS X installs that are clones of each other..........so if you brick one system, you just install a clone of the other system in its place......no fresh installs required........ ;)

B. Use a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper-set and connected as Master if my nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW.iso burned slowly to DVD or DVD-RW does not boot for you, and/or you want to use > 3GB RAM and/or you cannot read/write CD/DVDs in OS X using your SATA DVDRW.......

C. Still looking into sleep.......but with OC'd CPU and/or RAM, it seems that sleep is not possible in Leopard or Snow Leopard......

D. Unless you are using a Snow Leopard distro, the simplest method of installing Snow Leopard (if you do not already have Leopard installed on the PC) is to do a distro install of Leopard on one volume (which you have now done) and then use the Leopard OS X system to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for Snow Leopard [Part B]

2. Format a HFS+ volume as your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and any other volumes your require on the GPT partitioned HDD using Disk Utility

3. Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for your target SL OS X volume

4. Establish OS X target HDD ownership

5. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card

6. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (or RC4) onto your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

7. Put all the necessary kexts in /Extra/Extensions/, sort out the com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files to put in /Extra, as well as putting DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra......

That is, you have to follow all the steps in post #1 Part F. Section 2., that is step (1) to step (13) before even booting from the nForceSLBoot132DVD you made in step (14), and then following steps (15) to (20)...........

Boot the nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 and boot the Retail Mac OS X Install DVD with -v -f

Lonewolf1991

Lonewolf1991

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I attempted to install iAtkos S3, and it worked with -v arch=i386 cpus=1 maxmem=2048 using the boot cd. It successfully installed but now when I use the boot CD to boot the SL volume I get this -> http://dl.dropbox.co...45/IMG_0521.JPG

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

I attempted to install iAtkos S3, and it worked with -v arch=i386 cpus=1 maxmem=2048 using the boot cd. It successfully installed but now when I use the boot CD to boot the SL volume I get this -> http://dl.dropbox.co...45/IMG_0521.JPG

You should not have to boot from the iATKOS S3 v2 DVD to boot the HDD SL volume.........it is not finding the kernel to boot into......see my iATKOS S3 v2 nForce install guide in my blog.......... :)

Lonewolf1991

Lonewolf1991

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Is it okay though that I have to use your Boot CD in order to get to the installation screen of iAtkos S3?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

Is it okay though that I have to use your Boot CD in order to get to the installation screen of iAtkos S3?

No, if you have the iATKOS S3 v2, you should be able to boot it using
-v arch=i386 cpus=1 maxmem=2048
Note maxmem=2048 is only needed if you have > 3 GB but you might as well use even if you have 3GB RAM........

Lonewolf1991

Lonewolf1991

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I tried that and got a bunch of "Firewire GUID ffffffffffffffffffffffffff is invalid", "Still waiting for root device" and "IOATAController device blocking bus." Maybe I have to rewire my sata cables? Since the DVD drives are connected to SATA 1 and SATA 2...

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

I tried that and got a bunch of "Firewire GUID ffffffffffffffffffffffffff is invalid", "Still waiting for root device" and "IOATAController device blocking bus." Maybe I have to rewire my sata cables? Since the DVD drives are connected to SATA 1 and SATA 2...

Borrow or get a PATA (IDE) DVDRW and jumper-set and connect it to your MOBO using an 80-wire IDE cable.......

Lonewolf1991

Lonewolf1991

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Alrighty, installed using a IDE DVD Drive and used the guide on the blog, got the same screen as before -> http://dl.dropbox.co...45/IMG_0521.JPG

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I could never boot with elliotforcelegaccyRTC.kext installed. Once I removed that it booted fine.

Lonewolf1991

Lonewolf1991

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

I could never boot with elliotforcelegaccyRTC.kext installed. Once I removed that it booted fine.

Can you tell me how to remove it? Everything installed fine, I just can't boot ;)

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I have both Windows and Mac on my systems so when a kext prevents me from booting up mac I go into the extensions folder from within windows and just delete the kext. Then I boot up into Mac with -F and repair permissions.

Lonewolf1991

Lonewolf1991

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

I have both Windows and Mac on my systems so when a kext prevents me from booting up mac I go into the extensions folder from within windows and just delete the kext. Then I boot up into Mac with -F and repair permissions.

I see, I'll get macdrive 8 and do that. THANKS TO YOU AND VERDANT!

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello Verdant.

I have followed "part F" of this guide. And been able to successfully install a osx 1.6.
But when booting to the osx drive using the bootloader I get the following screen.

Attached File  IMG_1076.JPG   1.62MB   13 downloads

I've used a sata dvdrw and a IDE(which I have tested it on master, slave and also cable).
they both give the same results. Any thoughts on what else I could try?

thx!

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

Hello Verdant.

I have followed "part F" of this guide. And been able to successfully install a osx 1.6.
But when booting to the osx drive using the bootloader I get the following screen.

Attached File  IMG_1076.JPG   1.62MB   13 downloads

I've used a sata dvdrw and a IDE(which I have tested it on master, slave and also cable).
they both give the same results. Any thoughts on what else I could try?

thx!

What kexts have you got in /Extra/Extensions/ and are you using an Extensions.mkext file in /Extra...?

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
No I don't have any extensions in /Extra.. haven't even created the folder Extensions in the Extra folder,.. And also there is non "Extensions.mkext" in the Extra folder..

PS. now that I have taken a look in "/Library/Extensions/", there are no kext's there either.. maybe that's the problem. Nothing gets recognized!?..

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

No I don't have any extensions in /Extra.. haven't even created the folder Extensions in the Extra folder,.. And also there is non "Extensions.mkext" in the Extra folder..

PS. now that I have taken a look in "/Library/Extensions/", there are no kext's there either.. maybe that's the problem. Nothing gets recognized!?..

Yes it is..........

Unless you are using a Snow Leopard distro, the simplest method of installing Snow Leopard (if you do not already have Leopard installed on the PC) is to do a distro install of Leopard on one volume (which you have now done I hope......) and then use the Leopard OS X system to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for Snow Leopard [Part B]

2. Format a HFS+ volume as your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and any other volumes your require on the GPT partitioned HDD using Disk Utility

3. Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for your target SL OS X volume

4. Establish OS X target HDD ownership

5. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card

6. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (or RC4) onto your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

7. Put all the necessary kexts in /Extra/Extensions/, sort out the com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files to put in /Extra, as well as putting DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra......

That is, you have to complete step (1) to step (13) in post #1 Part F. Section 2. before even booting from the nForceSLBoot132DVD you made in step (14), and then following steps (15) to (20)...........

I will check back in a while when I have more time than now...........in the meantime, confirm that you have done all the above......... ;)

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have done all the above, but not entirely step 7.
necessary kexts nope don't really know what's necessary(apart from audio and nforce lan kext's).. could I just take all the kext's from leo "library/extensions" osx and use those?
com.apple.boot.plist done
SMBIOS.plist nope
DSDT.aml Done

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

I have done all the above, but not entirely step 7.
necessary kexts nope don't really know what's necessary(apart from audio and nforce lan kext's).. could I just take all the kext's from leo "library/extensions" osx and use those?
com.apple.boot.plist done
SMBIOS.plist nope
DSDT.aml Done

Part F. Item 6 tells you what kexts are essential and what kexts are optional in /Extra/Extensions/.......Item. 8 deals with your SMBIOS.plist...........honestly, it is all in the guide, step-by-step...... :(

Put nForceLAN in /S/L/E/ and do not worry about audio initially.........

darkoo69

darkoo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yeah I see that now, I am sorry about that.. Got confused. :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nForce chipset + Intel CPU, nForce 650i and 680i chipset, nForce 750i and 780i chipset, nForce 790i and 790i Ultra, Possibly nForce 630i chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy