GMA X4500 QE/CI Open Forum.

abkratch

66 posts in this topic

And your source is...?

At this time, there is not a native driver for the x4500 series. There is always a chance someone *could* start development from the ground up on a native driver but they would have to overcome a few hurdles. Among them are the fact that the Quartz is closed source and there are no sources released for existing drivers. No one has actually made native drivers and the work I've seen has been using existing graphics drivers on similar hardware with different IDs. Like my 9400GT at home which uses the nVidia drivers through an injection method.

As I said someone *could* start development of a native driver but as of yet few have actually pursued the challenge since it's such a huge task. I do not know if it is lack of interest or if the challenge is just too daunting.

At this time, there is not a native driver for the x4500 series. There is always a chance someone *could* start development from the ground up on a native driver but they would have to overcome a few hurdles. Among them are the fact that the Quartz is closed source and there are no sources released for existing drivers. No one has actually made native drivers and the work I've seen has been using existing graphics drivers on similar hardware with different IDs. Like my 9400GT at home which uses the nVidia drivers through an injection method.

As I said someone *could* start development of a native driver but as of yet few have actually pursued the challenge since it's such a huge task. I do not know if it is lack of interest or if the challenge is just too daunting.

So it's not impossible. Just hasn't been done.

I don't think it's right to be spreading doubt without a source, then. It was "impossible" to even have full native res on the X4500, before someone decided they would take on the task. If you scare everyone into not wanting to even attempt, only then does it become impossible.

Where would one start from, to code or edit a driver for the X4500 so this could be accomplished?

So it's not impossible. Just hasn't been done.

I don't think it's right to be spreading doubt without a source, then. It was "impossible" to even have full native res on the X4500, before someone decided they would take on the task. If you scare everyone into not wanting to even attempt, only then does it become impossible.

Where would one start from, to code or edit a driver for the X4500 so this could be accomplished?

Start by downloading the developer tools and learning how to write kernel extensions to the XNU kernel. Then buy a developer license so that you could get access to the Apple knowledge base on the Quartz libraries. Those would be the ideal places to start.

http://developer.apple.com/

Then I would start a google-code site dedicated to developing the driver and invite the veterans from insanelymac (throwing names here but macgirl, netkas, etc, kaly, pcwiz, etc) to come in and give some pointers or even participate.

I am not being sarcastic because I really don't think this has been done yet. I am not a coder or developer but I do have project management experience. If I were to put on the project manager hat, I think the first thing to do is start from literal ground zero. That is just me though.

Start by downloading the developer tools and learning how to write kernel extensions to the XNU kernel. Then buy a developer license so that you could get access to the Apple knowledge base on the Quartz libraries. Those would be the ideal places to start.

http://developer.apple.com/

Then I would start a google-code site dedicated to developing the driver and invite the veterans from insanelymac (throwing names here but macgirl, netkas, etc, kaly, pcwiz, etc) to come in and give some pointers or even participate.

I am not being sarcastic because I really don't think this has been done yet. I am not a coder or developer but I do have project management experience. If I were to put on the project manager hat, I think the first thing to do is start from literal ground zero. That is just me though.

Are you sure you would need to actually buy a developer license?

I know from signing up for iPhone development, they grant you the developer's toolkit and resources for free, but you would only need to pay for actually hosting an app on the AppStore...

I will get Xcode downloaded on my Snow Leopard partition and see if I can look into learning a bit. It won't hurt to try at least.

Are you sure you would need to actually buy a developer license?

I know from signing up for iPhone development, they grant you the developer's toolkit and resources for free, but you would only need to pay for actually hosting an app on the AppStore...

I will get Xcode downloaded on my Snow Leopard partition and see if I can look into learning a bit. It won't hurt to try at least.

You may be correct about the benefits plus I doubt they would give you much technical support :-)

I say stick with the free developer tools for now. Also check out the Mac OS X Reference Library

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/navigation/

Section 'TOPICS' - Drivers, Kernel, & Hardware

Section 'FRAMEWORKS' - Quartz

Section 'FRAMEWORKS' - Quartz Core

Section 'FRAMEWORKS' - OpenGL

IOKIT Fundamentals -http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/IOKitFundamentals/Introduction/Introduction.html

A few questions:

• Would it benefit to create a custom framebuffer?
  • How does the driver kext talk relate to the framebuffer kext, *GLDriver.bundle, *VADriver.bundle, and the *GA.plugin?
  • What is the purpose of the framebuffer in relation to the kernel space drivers and the quartz frameworks.
  • What exactly does the driver call in order to get Quartz, OpenGL, etc working and which process does it exactly "turn on"

Not sure if this helps or is relevant but also check out the existing AppleIntelGMAX3100FB info.plist notice the iokit libraries it calls:

<dict>

<key>com.apple.driver.AppleSMC</key>

<string>1.0.1d1</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily</key>

<string>1.2</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily</key>

<string>1.3</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.1</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>

<string>1.1</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

</dict>

Last question - Launchd kicks off the WindowServer process which runs in the _window userspace. Is this the process that the framebuffer needs to be tied into?

I want to add one more thing to this discussion. The more I am reading the more I am recalling from the old AGPGart and CallistoFB days. Does anyone remember this?

I know the AGPGart has sourcecode but not sure about the CallistoFB source. This source code would be a great place to learn how to start building a foundation for new drivers.

Back in the early 10.4.x days, there was alot of work in trying to get the ATI video cards to use OpenGL and QE with a custom framebuffer. I think it was abandoned because it became obsolete and EFI strings were used instead for existing Driver/FB. There may be a need to resurrect this for future intel chips.

Quick Update:

I found this today. It's a project in the XLabs for the ATI Framebuffer. Would be a great place to get examples for new code.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156279

Also LawOne started a google code project! That is awesome guys

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1299673

http://code.google.com/p/x4500/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

does this come to any help with enabling Quartz 2D

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...050503190059805

i tried it and in the configuration.plist there was 2 things. 1. something like "EnableVirtualFrameBuffer" and 2. "MinimumVRAMQuartz2D"

also, i have the $99 dev license, maybe i could look up some stuff for you guys.

PS: i'm an iPhone Developer, written a few apps and there on the App Store. if i could help i can and will.

does this come to any help with enabling Quartz 2D

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...050503190059805

i tried it and in the configuration.plist there was 2 things. 1. something like "EnableVirtualFrameBuffer" and 2. "MinimumVRAMQuartz2D"

also, i have the $99 dev license, maybe i could look up some stuff for you guys.

PS: i'm an iPhone Developer, written a few apps and there on the App Store. if i could help i can and will.

When you tried it, did it make the Apple bar at the top transparent?

Also- on http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview there is an application that tests if you have QuartzExtreme enabled, maybe you could run that after you've tried this?

I'd give it a go myself, but my OSX partition is still partially nonworking (need to update my sig- I had a couple crashes and reinstalls :[ ), I'll get what's needed working and then get back to looking into QE.

There is a Google code project page at www.code.google.com/p/x4500 if you would like to join. There are two project managers so they could point you in the right direction, we could really use someone with that developer license.

When you tried it, did it make the Apple bar at the top transparent?

Also- on http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview there is an application that tests if you have QuartzExtreme enabled, maybe you could run that after you've tried this?

I'd give it a go myself, but my OSX partition is still partially nonworking (need to update my sig- I had a couple crashes and reinstalls :[ ), I'll get what's needed working and then get back to looking into QE.

There is a Google code project page at www.code.google.com/p/x4500 if you would like to join. There are two project managers so they could point you in the right direction, we could really use someone with that developer license.

when you mean transparent, you mean like the picture attached below, right?

and sure, i would love to join. i ask them what they need from the Dev site.

post-453419-1259096081_thumb.png

when you mean transparent, you mean like the picture attached below, right?

and sure, i would love to join. i ask them what they need from the Dev site.

Yes, that's the transparency that, from what I've read, can only be achieved natively if you have QE (with the exception of the transparent.zip somewhere above this post)

Did you try the app from realtech-vr?

Awesome, with your help maybe we can get somewhere for X4500 QE ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&start=900

there's a patch already done lol but it only has Quartz GL supported but not quartz extreme. I didn't make this patch. maybe you could take a look at the coding and the coding of other graphics card? I'm just starting out with program design lol I have a HP DV6-123xd and it have X4500. Just thought to put it out ^_^ and everything is working on my hp :P

LP154WX4-TLCB:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Built-In: Yes

QuartzGL: Supported

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...