Any Success on an Asus P5B?

RWE

61 posts in this topic

as you can see my questions are not only related to 10.5.4 ?!

first read than write :)

First you announce to have placed an older 10.5.x installation, then you ask for solutions regarding kexts and EFI. You didn't even mention the word "Snow" nor the number "6". I did read it.

Come on, you just posted in the wrong section, don't you? :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi - did you ever end up posting your tutorial and package of tools/kexts? I am about to give it a go with a vanilla P5B and an 8600GT so I figure what worked for you should work for me!

Well, I executed my 'Game Plan' last night and everything is working absolutely perfectly now!

I did run into a couple of snags, but nothing that wasn't fixable:

1. My second random network card that I needed to use in 10.5.x to get networking with Bonjour working was NOT recognized by Snow Leopard. I have a feeling I was missing a kext that made it work in 10.5.x. Before testing that theory I decided to try the onboard LAN. It works fine in Snow Leopard, and Bonjour is also now working fine with it as well! No need for another card!
  2. I couldn't get VoodooHDA.kext to load from the USB Flash Drive... So, I ended up using Kext Helper to install it to the S/L/E. Sound is working fine after that. This is the only part of my install that's not 'Vanilla', but since it's not a patched Apple kext, it should not be disturbed by any updates ;)

Other than that everthing works absolutely awesome with all of the kexts I'm using that I mentioned in my above post. I love Chameleon (I had been using a very old Boot-132 usb drive previously). Also, I don't see any of the "ATA Device Blocking Bus" errors I would sometimes get when booting 10.5.x. Whenever I used to get this error I'd have to reboot again until it went away (like winning the lottery). I'm guessing it's since I installed to a SATA drive this time.

I did end up creating a DSDT.aml file for my system. I was able to do this from my 10.5 installation using the getDSDT.sh script along with the iasl executable bundled in the 'DSDT Patcher' package I found somewhere. This worked without a hitch, and is what I'm using now. Not sure how crucial this is, because I did not test without it.

My nVidia graphics were detected by Chameleon right away and I got full acceleration on the first boot, along with proper resolution and recognition of both my displays.

I'm going to be compiling a tutorial as well as a package of all the files/kexts/tools i used in the process.. Hopefully it'll help someone out :)

Hey guys.

I was able to get Snow Leopard 10.6.2 running on my Asus P5B deluxe using a retail 10.6 10A32 disc to install.

I have a GeForce 7300 GS video card and I have quartz rotation and dual monitors working.

Sound works, front and back outputs.

Sleep also works

For the most part, everything is vanilla, only had to modify two kexts.

First, download the latest version of Empire EFI - I used 1.085

Burn the Empire EFI disc and follow the instructions on the website for how to install Snow Leopard using a retail disc.

Once you get Snow leopard installed, use Kext Utility to install the IONetworkingFamily.kext that I attached.

This is for the Yukon 88E8056 ethernet and will have your ethernet running.

After installing the kext:

Restart and use the Empire EFI to boot Snow Leopard.

Once you're booted into Snow Leopard, you should have working ethernet.

Do not mess with any other kexts, don't touch anything after you get the ethernet working.

Now, update to 10.6.2

Once you update and reboot, use the Empire EFI disc to boot into SL.

You should be updated to 10.6.2 and also ethernet should work by now.

Open the Empire EFI disc:

Next run the myHack 1.0 RC4.1 - customize the install (of course)

Select ONLY:

com.apple.Boot.plist

Graphics Enabler (depending on your gfx card, I have a GeForce 7300GS so this worked for me)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

Do NOT select the SleepEnabler.kext - you will fix sleep later

After install, use the DSDT Patcher GUI with default settings to apply the patched DSDT to the root of your SL drive.

Restart - configure the bios to boot from the SL hard drive, and you should be able to boot Snow Leopard from the chameleon EFI partition that myHack installed.

Once you boot into SL, download the 64bit 10.6.2 VoodooHDA.kext

Install it using KextHelper by dragging and dropping onto the app icon.

This will install into /System/Library/Extensions by default - but you know that already.

Next download SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2 from Netkas website or search this website for it.

Drag and drop the kext into /Extra/Extensions - you will have to authenticate the move.

Run kext helper which will repair permissions on the /Extra/Extensions and rebuild the Extensions.mkext file.

Restart, and you should have working sound and you should also be able to sleep (and your Hackintosh should be able to sleep as well)

Hope this helps

I've been running super stable, overclocked to 3.33 ghz even.

I have installed and am running Logic 9.1 64 bit flawlessly. Have updated all apps through mac.

Best and painless method I have ever tried to get a hackintosh install running on these components.

I spent countless hours kicking and screaming over trying to get QE running and sound to work when I installed 10.5.6

This was too easy - got it done in about an hour.

Cheers to all that have helped me in the past, hopefully this helps someone.

Marvell_Yukon_88E8056_Snow106.dmg

Would you be so kind to post your BIOS settings regarding sleep?

I never managed to find a working combination of kext+bios that will enable a correct sleep.

When I put the Mac to sleep, it just seems to turn everything off, but the fans will keep going on and the machine will not boot up again unless I forcefully shut it down pressing power button for n seconds.

Did you encounter the same problem? :)

Hey guys.

I was able to get Snow Leopard 10.6.2 running on my Asus P5B deluxe using a retail 10.6 10A32 disc to install.

I have a GeForce 7300 GS video card and I have quartz rotation and dual monitors working.

Sound works, front and back outputs.

Sleep also works

For the most part, everything is vanilla, only had to modify two kexts.

First, download the latest version of Empire EFI - I used 1.085

Burn the Empire EFI disc and follow the instructions on the website for how to install Snow Leopard using a retail disc.

Once you get Snow leopard installed, use Kext Utility to install the IONetworkingFamily.kext that I attached.

This is for the Yukon 88E8056 ethernet and will have your ethernet running.

After installing the kext:

Restart and use the Empire EFI to boot Snow Leopard.

Once you're booted into Snow Leopard, you should have working ethernet.

Do not mess with any other kexts, don't touch anything after you get the ethernet working.

Now, update to 10.6.2

Once you update and reboot, use the Empire EFI disc to boot into SL.

You should be updated to 10.6.2 and also ethernet should work by now.

Open the Empire EFI disc:

Next run the myHack 1.0 RC4.1 - customize the install (of course)

Select ONLY:

com.apple.Boot.plist

Graphics Enabler (depending on your gfx card, I have a GeForce 7300GS so this worked for me)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

Do NOT select the SleepEnabler.kext - you will fix sleep later

After install, use the DSDT Patcher GUI with default settings to apply the patched DSDT to the root of your SL drive.

Restart - configure the bios to boot from the SL hard drive, and you should be able to boot Snow Leopard from the chameleon EFI partition that myHack installed.

Once you boot into SL, download the 64bit 10.6.2 VoodooHDA.kext

Install it using KextHelper by dragging and dropping onto the app icon.

This will install into /System/Library/Extensions by default - but you know that already.

Next download SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2 from Netkas website or search this website for it.

Drag and drop the kext into /Extra/Extensions - you will have to authenticate the move.

Run kext helper which will repair permissions on the /Extra/Extensions and rebuild the Extensions.mkext file.

Restart, and you should have working sound and you should also be able to sleep (and your Hackintosh should be able to sleep as well)

Hope this helps

I've been running super stable, overclocked to 3.33 ghz even.

I have installed and am running Logic 9.1 64 bit flawlessly. Have updated all apps through mac.

Best and painless method I have ever tried to get a hackintosh install running on these components.

I spent countless hours kicking and screaming over trying to get QE running and sound to work when I installed 10.5.6

This was too easy - got it done in about an hour.

Cheers to all that have helped me in the past, hopefully this helps someone.

G'day junocheeba

Thank you for your guide I installed Snow Leopard following your instructions over the weekend. Must say it really was much easier than the hit and miss of 10.5.8 etc, one thing though I have a Asus P5B MB E2831 edition and mine has SoundMAX ADI AD1988A 8 channel codec sound. Had no luck with getting sound to work using Voodoo HDA but I did have the package Mistico made for this motherboard which has a driver for sound so that is working now (sound out only) if you have another idea would be glad to hear it? Not all my USB ports were working so I grabbed the IOUSB family kext from my working 10.5.8 install on another drive and added that to my extensions folder. They all work too now. Shut down didnt work either so I again headed over to my 10.5.8 kexts and used the open halt restart one from there. works as well now. The only issue I have had till now is that my HP UVC class webcam is not seen by iChat? Any ideas there? it works in Skype but both iChat and Photo booth show a working cam blue light on , microphone bar etc but black where my picture should be?

All in all a pleasurable experience installing using this method, but if anyone has any suggestions for rectifying the webcam and sound issues, I would be glad to hear them?

One last thing although the bootloader is very handy considering I have 4 drives with multiple OSes, is there a way to revert back from the splash screen that Prays has used to the traditional Apple logo at boot?

Cheers once again for your guide, and I hope my experience has helped someone here to achieve their own stable hack.

Cheers mates, Plucka

It's a bit frustrating, cause I'm very close to getting it to work.

I used the Snow Leopard 10.6.1-10.6.2[sSE2-SSE3]-Intel/AMD (2009/ENG). I installed all the kexts which where posted/mentioned here. I can boot SL with the Empire EFI CD and it runs fine, but not without the CD.

Can anybody tell anything???

THX

• 1 month later...

Has anyone with the P5B plus had any success with 10.6.3? I'm working fine on 10.6.2, but when I test-update to 10.6.3 on an external (mirror image of my 10.6.2 install) I get an instant reboot right after the bootloader --

Is this a kernel problem? i've had difficulty finding more information on this problem other than with netbooks/atom cpu support problems.

My specs:

E6600 Core2Duo

6GB DDR2

Asus P5B Plus Mobo

Thanks in advance

• 5 months later...

junocheeba,

before I read your post I've heard only one method about how to fix sleep mode:

DSDT via DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0

then remove Disabler.kext

I have a MB P5BE Plus and I think the "sleep problem" is the same.

BTW sleep worked fine on 10.5.7 but after update up to 10.5.8 a problem appeared... And as for me situation was the same with SL before you message.