[Fixed] Can't boot Snow Leopard in 32bit mode!

Dr. Hurt

32 posts in this topic

It does. You just need to create a new mkext manually after you edit/add/remove any kext because SL does not do that automatically like tiger and leoapard.

If you look at the console, Snow Leopard does rebuild its mkext automatically when anything changed in the Extensions folder. I have on many occasions added and taken kexts out without problem. The issue is permissions.

Also if you install SL through Leopard then before booting up to SL, you need to kextcache -l v -m command in single user mode otherwise it'll panic. The reason for this is because SL using a different way of refreshing its extensions. Hence when you install SL through Leopard 10.5, SL kexts will be refreshed using Leopard's method which will cause KP at boot.

Kext Utility is a great tool since it now uses SL method for refreshing caches and mkexts.

Best to see whether to kext loads or compatible with the current boot mode (32 or 64) is do the kextload command through terminal.

If you get not install properly error then it's a permission issue. When it's a not compatible resolution error then it's not compatible with the boot mode you are using. eg, kext is 32 bit but you are booting in 64 bit.

It does. You just need to create a new mkext manually after you edit/add/remove any kext because SL does not do that automatically like tiger and leoapard.

first post updated.

HELP!!!!

Installed RC3 (with Dr.Hurt pkg), modified com.apple.Boot.plist (in Extra) and used terminal commands as explained but still booting only in 64bit which is a problem for me because my wifi usb key (ralink RT 2870) has only 32 bit kext!

HELP!!!!

Installed RC3 (with Dr.Hurt pkg), modified com.apple.Boot.plist (in Extra) and used terminal commands as explained but still booting only in 64bit which is a problem for me because my wifi usb key (ralink RT 2870) has only 32 bit kext!

I'm looking too to boot in 32bit for the same reason. I also have an USB key running 32bit.

Does anyone know how to boot in 32bit? with RC3?

Ed

HELP!!!!

I'm looking too to boot in 32bit for the same reason. I also have an USB key running 32bit.

Does anyone know how to boot in 32bit? with RC3?

Ed

arch=i386 isn't working for either of you?

arch=i386 isn't working for either of you?

It wasn't.....now I found what was causing the problem: I installed a pkg founded on the Net for ALC888 internal sound card and for some reason it prevent the system to boot in 32bit mode, after I re-installed everything without it this flag started working like a charm!

• 1 month later...
This problem has been resolved with Chameleon 2 RC3

You still need do rebuild the extensions.mkext everytime you edit/add/remove a kext because SL does not do so automatically like Leopard.

Use Kext Utility 2.3.2 to make a full maintenance to your Extensions and Extra

OR do this in terminal

sudo -s
kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

NB. Don't forget to use "arch=i386" instead of "-x32" in boot.plist for Chameleon

OLD FIX:

OcciJano told me to do this and it worked:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions
sudo�‚ �‚ kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions.mkext�‚ �‚ /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/NAME/System/Library/Extensions

Also, must put "-x32 boot-uuid=**************" in com.apple.boot.plist (******* mean boot volume uuid)

Thanks to OcciJano and riws

so i did this.. now my system wont boot.. any ideas??? when i goto verbose mode, it says 64 bit mode enabled still

and hangs @

waiting for DSMOS...

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed