• Please log in to reply
3675 replies to this topic

geithals

geithals

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

@geithals - Thanks for reporting back and well done with your successful install on your 2nd machine with the 9600GT. Now you've just got to get your 1st machine with 8800GT going :)

Well, the unexpected has happened (almost a bigger surprise than the Spanish Inquisition), as reported, OS10.6.1 is already installed in the Hack with Zotac 9600gt and now it is updated to 10.6.4.
Used a back up disk, with a trim Cham partition built from support files 1.4 - boot files, dsdt,, and only fakes smc in Ext - I forgot to put in the smbios :)

Now of course I'd like to get on a roll and get my Hack with 8800gt updated from 10.6.1 to 10.6.4.
2 same motherboards, same bios, but most everything else is different.
Switching graphic cards would appear to be the easiest short cut to try first?

geithals

geithals

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Suckin' diesel now :D

10 seconds after I added the last reply, I just knew the issue had to be the 2nd dvi out (from the 8800gt card) connection to the tv. It is just as much a feature of my computer as the mouse and keyboard that it did not dawn on me before to disconnect it (dvi/hdmi adapter) before trying to boot into OS10.6.4.
Sure enough after disconnecting that, I am now booting into 10.6.4.
33% feeling foolish
33% feeling relieved
33% what? no dual dvi connections?? aargh

Has anybody else had that issue? I don't remember reading about here.
I am just using the supplied boot.plist from the support files from July22nd with the <string>1024x768x32</string> I have dual dvi outputs in OS10.6.1 but have to disconnect one to boot up into 10.6.4.
I note that 'about my mac' states correctly that I have the 8800gt card but with 1024mb memory.

In the meantime I'll move up the scale from present - support files 1.4.0.
Nice to be back on track.

Johnny V

Johnny V

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 372 posts

....10 seconds after I added the last reply, I just knew the issue had to be the 2nd dvi out (from the 8800gt card) connection to the tv. It is just as much a feature of my computer as the mouse and keyboard that it did not dawn on me before to disconnect it (dvi/hdmi adapter) before trying to boot into OS10.6.4.

I vaguely remember that issue popping up a couple of times on this forum. I forgot the resolution. Have you tried moving the video card to a different slot?

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Guys I'm having a strange issue here...

So fresh install using a usb installer, which has Cham 2 RC5 build 342. Installed, and booting the OS fine with the usb stick. I install Cham b342 onto the HDD (cham on it's own partition), just as I've done many times before on so many drives. However, it simply won't boot alone. I restart and the BIOS is still telling me there are no bootable drives detected. Could diskutil be telling me the wrong disk info or something?

I tried re-installing Cham 3 times, no luck. I don't think the hardware is relevant as the usb stick boots the SL partition fine. Bah, will have another go tomorrow...

geithals

geithals

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

I vaguely remember that issue popping up a couple of times on this forum. I forgot the resolution. Have you tried moving the video card to a different slot?

No chance as there is only one pci express x16 slot.

You are right about the issue popping up before.
I found the first reference (in this thread) to this auto-detect feature not working by Farshnowshkin
I read it at the time but I forgot that I had a tv connected to my 2nd dvi slot.

In 10.6.1 if the tv is plugged in - but turned off - it is still detected by auto display.
But with 10.6.2 and later it is not detected and screen,mouse and keyboard are all disabled at start up.
A bit of an over-reaction you would think :).
I will dig a bit more.

Edit:
This is an issue - not at all directly related to this thread.
OSX 10.6.4 will not boot with the 2nd dvi port connected to a device whether the ext monitor/tv it is turned off or on, but
will boot with only the dvi/hdmi adapter left in - but after booting successfully, will just freeze when hdmi cable is hot plugged into the dvi/hdmi adapter.

Searched Apple Discussions and "real" macs have the problem. Apple are admitting nothing. Users are hassling support and Apple support is clueless. Questions about this issue on the discussion board are left unanswered.
Ah well, a problem shared is a problem halved :D

I will wait for the next os update, maybe, - I'm between 2 minds.

k0ns0le

k0ns0le

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
BlackOSX, firstly thanks for your walkthrough.

I managed to get SL 10.6.4 up and running using your method supplied on a P35-DS3R and E8500 Dual core. I did have a little trouble getting my ATI 5870 recognised but thanks to netkas i have have full resolution now albeit no OpenGL etc. Unfortunately I had to install the kexts into S/L/E to get them to work so i guess i'm not officially "Vanilla" anymore if I understand the meaning of that is a totally untouched retail install. I also had to modify the DSDT file to get my audio going, and I think I need to mod it more to allow sleep to work as at the moment I can't wake it up after it sleeps. I did try some other supposedly "specific" DSDT file for my mother board but over all I think yours is more up to date as I ran into alot of trouble with them. So sticking with your DSDT.

I am trying to update itunes but results in a KP i don't know how to recover from, safe mode didn't work either. Is there a procedure I need to follow or it simply can't be done? Reason is I can't sync my iphone unless I upgrade it.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,139 posts

OSX 10.6.4 will not boot with the 2nd dvi port connected to a device whether the ext monitor/tv it is turned off or on, but
will boot with only the dvi/hdmi adapter left in - but after booting successfully, will just freeze when hdmi cable is hot plugged into the dvi/hdmi adapter.

Well done with your research geithals and thanks for your post. I'll add a link to it on the front page for future reference. Sorry I didn't remember that previous info which you found but, not using a dual monitor setup I never had to look in to it.

So fresh install using a usb installer, which has Cham 2 RC5 build 342. Installed, and booting the OS fine with the usb stick. I install Cham b342 onto the HDD (cham on it's own partition), just as I've done many times before on so many drives. However, it simply won't boot alone. I restart and the BIOS is still telling me there are no bootable drives detected. Could diskutil be telling me the wrong disk info or something?

Hi mate :)

I know you know this but let's check the basics :P
Is BIOS drive order correct?
Is AHCI mode selected?

Diskutil can give a different drive order to how the BIOS sees it but as long as you're writing the Chameleon files using the numbers that diskutil reports during the same boot then you'll be writing to the correct drive. Have another go in the morning and I'm sure it will work ;)

I managed to get SL 10.6.4 up and running using your method supplied on a P35-DS3R and E8500 Dual core. I did have a little trouble getting my ATI 5870 recognised but thanks to netkas i have have full resolution now albeit no OpenGL etc. Unfortunately I had to install the kexts into S/L/E to get them to work so i guess i'm not officially "Vanilla" anymore

I am trying to update itunes but results in a KP i don't know how to recover from, safe mode didn't work either.

@k0ns0le

Your motherboard is different to mine so you will want to use you own DSDT and not the one from this thread. At the very least, you should compare the original DSDT extracted from your board with the one from my board. To help, there's a link to the original DSDT for the EP45-DS3L in the Files section of this post.

Well done with getting your ATI 5870 working but I can't offer any help there.

A 'vanilla' install can be identified as one that doesn't change any of Apple's files. So adding extra files in to /S/L/E can still constitute a vanilla install. After 10.6.3, I no longer have a vanilla install as I've had to patch the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E to achieve audio for ALC888. Maybe I need to change the title of this thread? :whistle:

I've never come across any issues with updating iTunes or connecting to my iPhone.. Maybe it's something specific to your board/DSDT pairing?

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Hi mate :)

I know you know this but let's check the basics :P
Is BIOS drive order correct?
Is AHCI mode selected?

Diskutil can give a different drive order to how the BIOS sees it but as long as you're writing the Chameleon files using the numbers that diskutil reports during the same boot then you'll be writing to the correct drive. Have another go in the morning and I'm sure it will work :)

So I took out the drive, plugged it into my system via USB, and it boots into Chameleon just fine! Something about the drive's new setup that the board doesn't like maybe?

The board is an Intel Atom with ICH7, it does not have AHCI. This board has run 10.5 just fine. Aside from it now having 10.6 and a different version of Cham, the only other difference is the partition scheme. Could that throw the motherboard off? I went from 1 partition in 10.5 to 4 for 10.6. Again, the usb installer flash drive (same build of Cham2 rc5) boots the OS HDD partition fine. I will test this (as I can't think of anything else)...

geithals

geithals

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Though some of us with external sound cards can still claim to be 'Pure Vanilla'..

The board is an Intel Atom with ICH7, it does not have AHCI.

Enzo, the fact that ahci is not enabled is the direct cause of your boot disk error.

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
^^ I am familiar with the importance of AHCI, however the Atom board in question works without it. 10.5 Always worked without it, and so does 10.6 (when booted with the USB installer flash drive). Furthermore, this isn't a simple kernel panic, it is the motherboard/BIOS that doesn't recognize the drive as boot-able. So I have to believe the issue lies elsewhere. I just tried re-partitioning back to 1 partition, and the issue remains. I will now try different versions of Chameleon, again, all I can think of atm...

Edit: Just tried 3 different versions of Cham with no luck. Still does not make any sense to me. This thing was running Cham 2 RC3 I believe when running 10.5, so for now, will try going back to that. Though again, it doesn't make sense to me lol, the drive is definitely bootable, i.e. Cham is installed correctly (tested on my system via usb), but the atom board/bios will not recognize it as bootable. The issue lies outside of the Cham install... I tried plugging in a DVD drive to see if maybe the board wanted to see one before any HDD (weird I know). Still no luck...

Edit2: Tried clearing cmos, updating BIOS... this doesn't seem like a HDD failure, so still makes no sense to me...

Edit3: Managed to go back to Cham2 RC3 (what it was running before), and it worked! However, that version of Cham does not enable the PCI Nvidia 8400GS in the slot. To get back to RC3, I replicated what I originally did last time. Official Cham RC2 release package/installer then replaced the boot file with RC3. Why does this work, and the others don't?
Note I did try another package that didn't work. Cham 2 RC5 pre8.

geithals

geithals

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

^^ I am familiar with the importance of AHCI, however the Atom board in question works without it. 10.5 Always worked without it, and so does 10.6 (when booted with the USB installer flash drive). Furthermore, this isn't a simple kernel panic, it is the motherboard/BIOS that doesn't recognize the drive as boot-able. So I have to believe the issue lies elsewhere. I just tried re-partitioning back to 1 partition, and the issue remains. I will now try different versions of Chameleon, again, all I can think of atm...

If I disabled ahci, I would not get far enough to have a kernel panic, I would get a boot error - can't find the boot disk.
I would guess that booting into OS10.6 with the usb disk and trying to boot without it, are 2 separate scenarios.

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
So as I said, got it to boot with RC3. So then I proceeded to install RC5 and it worked (boots into Cham). Almost as if I had to start with RC2 and update as I know I did over the course of time with that particular USB Flash Drive installer (which always worked).

However, now it doesn't boot into the OS =P. Well, it gets hung up on fakesmc currently, going to revisit /Extra now, check everything is good there.

Edit: Yep, it was my /Extra folder this time =P. All sorted now. Weird though that I had to "upgrade" along from RC2->3->5.

geithals

geithals

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Sorry, I misread, I thought you could only boot into os10.6 with the flash drive and in edit 3 - went back to what worked before, ie OS10.5.

Looks like you did very well to get there in the end.

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Yeah, probably was confusing. 10.6 is all working now. However, the performance difference between the PCI 8400GS over the GMA950 doesn't seem significant at all =/ will test further.

I would like to enable HT on the atom board. Hope Chameleon implements what ever meklort does to his modified version to allow HT in atom boards.

thonthar

thonthar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello guys, first of all i want to thank You for this great guide and bootloader, after weeks of fighting with iatkos, i found this and get working osx in 30minutes:) with almost all drivers.
But now i have strange problem, system Was always working in 64bit mode, but now i need to run it in 32bit mode, and i cant. I changed boot.plist (both just for sure) to i386, delete all keys about 64bit. And its always boot up in 64bit kernel and kexts mode. Any idea how to force him to 32bit?

geithals

geithals

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
thonthar, doesn't OS10.6 just adapt to work in either 32bit or 64bit mode, when needed?

Just an update on the NVidia blank screen issue.
I just did a test and having 2 Dvi monitors connected at any time presents no problems at all.
In fact after 10.6.2 there has been a very positive and necessary update/overhaul to the OS handling and recognition of a 2nd dvi connected monitor
The issue has to do with cold or hot plugging hdmi into a dvi/hdmi adapter on graphics card. At least this nVidia blank screen thread is active here.

thonthar

thonthar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

thonthar, doesn't OS10.6 just adapt to work in either 32bit or 64bit mode, when needed?

i think yes, but it is a possibility to run him only in 32bit mode, or i am wrong? :>

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
You can run in 32bit only mode via a boot.plist entry. I think the default plist included in the current support files is configured for 32bit mode. Maybe check that you have the key entered correctly?

geithals

geithals

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I think I have the 2nd monitor hdmi/dvi working in 10.6.4, well mostly :P

There are many suggestions in that nVidia blank screen thread and most of them are to be avoided.
Especially any that call for you to deviate from Vanilla install.

This page was the most usefull for me, post nr.123 and 131.

I downloaded the rom file for 8800gt card from here.
Then I renamed it 10de_0611.rom after my graphic card id nr, same id that is in About This Mac and placed it snugly in Extras.
Next comes a small addition to the boot.plist in Extras.
<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>VBIOS</key>
<string>yes</string>

And thats it. While you may have to experiment some, if like me, you will surely have to experiment some, then do so with the only the computer monitor plugged and you know when you have been successful when About My Mac recognises the rom file. I had tried another rom file called NVIDIA.rom which did not work for me.

This is what I see when the rom file has not been 'loaded' in
ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

This is what I see when the rom file has been 'loaded' in
ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - /Extra/10de_0611.rom

After you restart, possible now with cold or hot plugged hdmi, you will have to open
System pref/display/ detect displays
Then your tv will be recognised, Then turn off mirroring on the TV display.

You can put the computer to sleep.
But the only glitch for me is the screen remains dark after waking up from sleep, unless `i disconnect the hdmi cable before waking up. But all the same, it will boot up with the hdmi cable connected. Strange one that.

Here are the details from my About This Mac.

GeForce 8800 GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8800 GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0611
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - /Extra/10de_0611.rom
Displays:
L226W :
Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Panasonic-TV:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes

Hope that helps some.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,139 posts
Hi geithals

Wow.. I see your video quest has sent you an a journey... But well done with your research and thanks for posting the update
for the problem here. :unsure:

The link you posted for the 8800GT ROM shows two available options, EFI32 and EFI64. Which one did you select? and also, your system profiler readout reads 1024MB though both ROMS on the link state 512MB. I take it this hasn't caused you any issue?

I have played with loading an alternative VBIOS with Chameleon in the past, but never had a real need to change anything on my setup so it never went past playing. But it's good to know it works and thanks for sharing

Though some of us with external sound cards can still claim to be 'Pure Vanilla'..

Lol.. good point.. Maybe I could look at that option? I remember reading some previous posts in the past about different USB solutions etc. but back then I had no issue with enabling audio through DSDT and LegacyHDA in /Extra/Extensions. But since Apple have dropped support for ALC888 maybe it's time for me to reconsider?. I only use stereo sound out to my cheap speakers.. Which option do you recommend and which option did you go with ?

But now i have strange problem, system Was always working in 64bit mode, but now i need to run it in 32bit mode, and i cant. I changed boot.plist (both just for sure) to i386, delete all keys about 64bit. And its always boot up in 64bit kernel and kexts mode. Any idea how to force him to 32bit?

Use the following boot option in the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>

Then after reboot you will see the 64-bit kernel and extensions reads 'No' in the software selection on System Profiler as in the attached screenshot.
Attached File  System_Profiler_Image.png   44.84KB   14 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy