Colonels Paint

47 posts in this topic

Do you think Apple would mind if I used some of Sketch's source code to help Colonels Paint? :)

I read the ReadMe in the main Developer folder, it says you can use it freely as much as you'd like. (You just can't claim it's Apple' code anymore, since you modified it.)

I did the "Build your own browser" tutorial once which was fun but I'd really like to get into Cocoa programming.

=)

Okay everyone. Beta 2 is out now.

There's nothing really new. I added a preferences menu, updated the icon, the about Colonels Paint window, and attempted to make a link to KFC's website (although no sucess :) ) As usual, download it on page one of this thread. Thanks for testing and enjoy :|

UPDATE Due to a big error, I'm re-releasing Beta 2. I hope I didn't cause anyone any problems. This release fixed it.

Hey colonels,

I was fishing around today and found two apps in source that I thought might help you out.

First, a Wacom example showing the relation between a window and the tablet, and a sample app called FlexAnimator that also supports tablets but has a few more features with it.

I'm going to toy around with both. I prefer bitmap drawing to vector myself anyway. Although I found a few good vector apps in source as well, if you're interested.

=)

Cocoa_Simple.zip

FlexAnimator.zip

Well, 1.0 is successfully running for me so far. I've been working on Colonels Paint much more than usual to make this happen. I've added a BUNCH of new features. These features include:

Draw squares

Draw lines

Write text

A ruler to measure your shapes

Printing actually works now!

Saving in 3 different formats, TIFF, PDF, and a new one CPG (Colonels Paint Graphic)

Change the width of an object's borderline

Resize and delete shapes and text.

Comes in a custom made DMG file (Thank you MisterCow for helping me on this one)

I hope I've added enough to make everyone happy for a while. :gun:

This version is 1.0b1. I'm sorry that I keep making more and more betas, but it's just something I have to do to make sure it works right.

I'll upload 1.0b1 in a couple days. I just have to make a few more tweaks and it'll be ready for testing.

Oh, and here's a screenshot of it. Enjoy. :)

picture1sv9.th.jpg

Thanks John the Geek! I appreciate any help that I can get. :P

I found a few mistakes in the Wacom example. So I'm re-attaching it. The pressure applied to the tablet wasn't altering the size of the stroke so I figured out why.

I wish I knew so much more about programming. I suppose I have to start somewhere.

=)

Cocoa_Simple_2.zip

Thanks John the Geek! That's a really awesome icon. Mind if I use it for Colonels Paint? :D

If you'd like, I could put your name in the credits just like I'm doing with MisterCow.

It's a donation.

=)

• 4 months later...

I've been looking for a MS Paint replacement for my 6 year old sister so that she can start using the g3 I bought. She loves paint.

Colonels if this makes my G3 ill I’ll hunt you down. KFC4Mac headquarters, right?

Anyway dude. Thanks for the hard work. Appreciate it.

KFC4Mac - Ummmm... maybe a name for the next paint program.

Ah, thanks for bringing this thread back to life. :(

As far as Colonels Paint goes, I have renamed it to ArtworX and have still been working on it. The full 1.0 build will be available in a few days/weeks.

WOW. No kidding. The last message was by John the Geek Jul 30 2006, 12:37 AM. That's quite some time ago. I stumbled over it by looking for a good MS Paint alternative on Mac for me (I use it every now and again for basic stuff - I know there are better programs to use but hey..) and my 6 year old sister who only gets on my pc for drawing. I bought an old G3 and want her to start moving onto that.

Anyway dude no problem. Hope the project goes well.

How about as a thank you consider calling it AcePaint.

But to be honest ArtworX sounds brilliant but I kinda liked Colonels Paint simply because it meant something to the community. It showed clearly who it came from. ArtworX is a great name but it doesn't link to you as well and also there's no KFC link either. So maybe Colonels Paint or KFC4Mac or AcePaint.

Keep us informed. And let me know when it’s voice activated and also when I can start making "Finding Marlin" on it. Don't worry, you'll be in the credits.

Edited by AcePlayer

• 2 weeks later...

For fear of asking, i'm going to do it anyway, what is the difference between your program and sketch that is buildable with xcode 2.4? i don't know if it was availalbe with older versions of it, but i noticed it there. they apear to have very similar almost identical tool bars.

For fear of asking, i'm going to do it anyway, what is the difference between your program and sketch that is buildable with xcode 2.4? i don't know if it was availalbe with older versions of it, but i noticed it there. they apear to have very similar almost identical tool bars.

Ah, thanks for asking. My program is based off of Apple's sketch code. The current downloadable version of Colonels Paint is almost identical to Sketch, but my internal development version has quite a few differences including saving as different formats and a vastly improved UI. :)

• 1 month later...