Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 driver

aroman

149 posts in this topic

People should also learn to read the thread. They can be helpful if something hasn't been posted before, but if it has, then keep shtum.

unfortunately that's too much to ask to a lot of ppl :o

anyway to be back OT, if anyone "finds" some real developers info on Apple's 80211 stack please share it with the comunity.

Well, have you seen any "Intel 2200bg" in this driver HCL ?

Besides, I can't see any reference for this driver being a "universal one". And finally, it seems to be a closed source one.

But if you have some time to waste, you still can give it a try.

Hm this thread is going like previous only posting stupid words and nothing more. Don't you ever got tired to mumble people !!! Stop the stupidity and just wait! There are 4 pages with stupid words and the testing is not have even begun.

Baseline Ace,

Many of us laptop-users have builtin ipw2200-cards. I currently use a Belkin adapter that works fine, but the internal card has a better antenna and does not require a 8cm stick attached to the computer (that is very easy to break while using the computer on the field).

I am also willing to sponsor the development of this driver.

/ jajo

Another 50$.

Ill sponsor this driver too. Have the same issue 3945 abg internal.. on a samsung r65

Anyone whants to suport the developer?

Best Reg,

Al

I am still using UBUNTU 6 on my IBM T42p besause ipw 2200 driver works?

Cannot we use the ubuntu driver for example?? Can this version be adapted for Mac OS X86???

PLEASE,

Read the thread! Only tiny parts of the linux-driver could be used for reference while coding the OSX-driver.

/ jajo

• 2 weeks later...
Is it likely that the development of this ipw2200 driver will be usable as base for a ipw3945 driver?

acctually the driver might be should be very compatible to 3945.. but i dont think we'll be seeing an ipw2200 driver any time soon..

too bad folks,

tuxx

no, it should be really easy and you shouldn't have problem, mini pci is almost the same as PCI and is designed to allow the modification of the card. just take care your notebook antennas connectors and the same as the ones on the mini pci you'll buy. also take care of the length of the card that could be too big and can't fit your notebook due to CPU rad or such thing.

to remove the antennas youjst unplug 2 connectors, you pull 2 "switch" to remove the mini, put the new clip the antenna and it's up and running :(

This is exactly what i did, and the intel pro 2200 is quite a big card, i mean thick. So i think broadcom ones are thin enought, but take care of the antenna connections, mine had two, and it seems that some mini-pci has only one...

That is the one i bought:

Broadcom 802.11 b/g Wireless Mini-PCI Card-BCM94306MPSG

photo here:

http://i3.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/e3/67/12_1.JPG

it worked perfectly with jas 10.4.6 install (wireless package)

hi guys,

i just recieved an interresting link to a discussion on the IO80211Controler on the apple dev-mailing list from Jussi.

http://lists.apple.com/archives/darwin-dri...n/msg00056.html

Its pretty much what I've tried to explain to aroman. Using IO80211Controller might look nice in the system preference pane.. but its really not a good idea considering that its completely UNDOCUMENTATED and really hard to reverse engenieer.

Anyone seriously interrested in porting this shld checkout the method described in the following posts of that address..

It seems that "the Airport (Atheros and Broadcom variants) now use a variant of the FreeBSD net80211 code with 'plugins' to support the specific chipsets, and a custom layer on top to talk to the IO80211 parts."

sounds like a very interresting method.. sadly i dont have such an interface anymore and cant help develop for it.. good luck guys

tuxx (with a special thanks to Jussi for the link)

It seems that "the Airport (Atheros and Broadcom variants) now use a variant of the FreeBSD net80211 code with 'plugins' to support the specific chipsets, and a custom layer on top to talk to the IO80211 parts."

The problem with that method, though, is that we would need to figure out what 'plugins' we need to write. Also, wouldn't writing the required custom layer have the same problems that aroman had with the IO80211 parts being undocumented? :D

I think it's more likely that we will see a driver based off of IOEthernetController (like the Prism GT driver).

That's just what I think, though.