Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 driver

aroman

149 posts in this topic

OK my exams are over, and I think I did pretty well, so I'm happy ;)

Meanwhile because I needed a windows program (and my only windows machine was my laptop) I installed xp on my laptop and accidentally wiped os x. whoops! But I have all my source code in the CVS so it's all good. I will just have to re-install OS X. Will do that this weekend.

Another guy is working on this driver sorta by himself... Just letting you know. But I'll continue to work on this, no worries.

That being said, relax I haven't abandoned the project. ;)

Cheers,

Alex.

good luck aroman ! hope you did well on your exams...

i wish my exams were over too :) but they begin next week...

anyway, good to know we have another guy working on the drivers...

i think he made a good idea not telling us he is working on it since we are kinda annoying

when it comes to drivers :)

OK my exams are over, and I think I did pretty well, so I'm happy ;)

Meanwhile because I needed a windows program (and my only windows machine was my laptop) I installed xp on my laptop and accidentally wiped os x. whoops! But I have all my source code in the CVS so it's all good. I will just have to re-install OS X. Will do that this weekend.

Another guy is working on this driver sorta by himself... Just letting you know. But I'll continue to work on this, no worries.

That being said, relax I haven't abandoned the project. ;)

Cheers,

Alex.

good luck aroman ! hope you did well on your exams...

i wish my exams were over too :) but they begin next week...

anyway, good to know we have another guy working on the drivers...

i think he made a good idea not telling us he is working on it since we are kinda annoying

when it comes to drivers :)

Well, the other guy has been making good progress. I, sadly, have been overwhelmed with school work even after midterms :P I still want to work on this, but I just don't have the time right now :(

So, if he gets it done, all good for the project! :) If not, then when I have time, I will work on it. I have a x86 laptop and I want my wireless card to work, so the motivation is there :)

Again, sorry I haven't been too active lately, but university is really a lot of work :(

Well, the other guy has been making good progress. I, sadly, have been overwhelmed with school work even after midterms :( I still want to work on this, but I just don't have the time right now :(

So, if he gets it done, all good for the project! :) If not, then when I have time, I will work on it. I have a x86 laptop and I want my wireless card to work, so the motivation is there :)

Again, sorry I haven't been too active lately, but university is really a lot of work :)

:P

whos working on the driver?

go on your study,its more important

Hi aroman,

just wondering if you could reveal the name of the other person working on this.

I've already received my macbook and sold off my old notebook so I can't be of much active development help, but I still would like to be in touch and keep track of whats happening here :huh:

If the person wants to remain anonymous... I will respect that.

cheers, tuxx :construction:

First of all, congratulations to the dev guys, tuxx and aroman, you seem to be making some progress. Good luck with the exams, I understand your predicament no end.

I've downloaded the CVS version of the driver and compiled no problem with Xcode. I've been able to load it and get this from the system profiler under Extensions:

iwi2200:

Version: 1.0.0d1

Last Modified: 27/6/06 12:39 AM

Get Info String: Copyright Joel Thomas 2005

kext Version: 1.0.0d1

Load Address: 0x2a1c8000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Unknown

Here's what the dmesg throws up:

darwin_iwi2200::probe(WLAN)

darwin_iwi2200::start(WLAN) <1>

iwi2200: Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver,

iwi2200: Copyright © 2005-2006 Joel Thomas and Martin Buechler

darwin_iwi2200 iomemory length: 0x1000 @ 0xb0108000

darwin_iwi2200 virt: 0x2a270000 physical: 0xb0108000

darwin_iwi2200 IRQ: 22, Vendor ID: 8086, Product ID: 4220

So the hardware looks like it's getting initialised OK and all. System Prefs detect a new PCI device for networking (en1) which is very encouraging. Unfortunately I just can't track down a copy of com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily. I'll look through my various Mac install DVDs to see if I have it somewhere and get back to you when done.

This is just a little report to show interest and to show that people are trying out your work a little bit. I'll be happy to help test further when things are stabilized.

I'll pay you $50.00 through paypal to anyone who can get this driver up and running!

PM if/when you have it working, and instructions on how to get it going. Thanks!

No offense, but couldn't you practically buy a new card for that price?

Baseline Ace,

Many of us laptop-users have builtin ipw2200-cards. I currently use a Belkin adapter that works fine, but the internal card has a better antenna and does not require a 8cm stick attached to the computer (that is very easy to break while using the computer on the field).

I am also willing to sponsor the development of this driver.

/ jajo

Well I found my 10.4.3 DVD and extracted the IONetworkFamily.kext, loaded it and still no go, despite a reboot. The iwi2200 module complains of an invalid version for IONetworkFamily. I'm going to parse other network card threads to see if anyone has solved a similar issue. Keep the faith guys...

No offense, but couldn't you practically buy a new card for that price?

Actually, you can buy a working card (out of the box) with shipping for about 40 bux on ebay :smoke: Pretty easy to swap out too. It's all about the development however :blink:

James

hi, folks!

just want to mention at this point that i'm highly interested in a bg2200 driver too and that i'm also willing to donate. didn't make os x to run on my hp nc4200 yet, because of my exams. at 7/7/06 i'll be through and will try to involve myself somewhat more into these issues. i am already using a mac mini g4 and windows on my pretty nc4200 is not my first choice even though it runs quite well. see you in a week

Well I found my 10.4.3 DVD and extracted the IONetworkFamily.kext, loaded it and still no go, despite a reboot. The iwi2200 module complains of an invalid version for IONetworkFamily. I'm going to parse other network card threads to see if anyone has solved a similar issue. Keep the faith guys...

it wont work with 4.3 kext files...

the driver seems to load only on 4.6 machines...

Actually, you can buy a working card (out of the box) with shipping for about 40 bux on ebay ;) Pretty easy to swap out too. It's all about the development however :)

James

That might be the solution... Really. :) However before buying a new card, I need to see that 10.4.7 also supports 855 graphics card, too.

Anyway, instead of buying new cards, could anyone write a proper driver and save whole world :2cents:

it wont work with 4.3 kext files...

the driver seems to load only on 4.6 machines...

Yes I gathered that... trouble is, 10.4.6 doesn't have an IONetworkingFamily.kext . Or rather, the 10.4.4 kernel doesn't, as no one has a working 10.4.6 kernel currently as far as I know, just 10.4.6 userland.

Hi

i dont want to sound arrogant but acctually my driver is alot more advanced than this one.. infact this driver doesnt even really do anything.. firmware loading is NOT done at all for that matter..

all this driver does is register stub functions so that the card is detected as an airport interface and read the mac address. Nothing more :/. As said above 10.4.3 lacked the IONetworkingFamily.kext and IO8211Family.kext, so it was not possible at the time of my writing the driver for me to register it as an airport device. But acctually registering it as an airport device isnt even really a good idea at this point imho. It offers no advantage apart from it looking nice in the gui. Once the driver runs as a normal wired NIC.. one could try to get it working as an airport interface, as that alone is difficult enough.

that being said, anyone sincerely interessted in working on this should look at the driver in the thread which i started.

tuxx

Hi

i dont want to sound arrogant but acctually my driver is alot more advanced than this one.. infact this driver doesnt even really do anything.. firmware loading is NOT done at all for that matter..

all this driver does is register stub functions so that the card is detected as an airport interface and read the mac address. Nothing more :/. As said above 10.4.3 lacked the IONetworkingFamily.kext and IO8211Family.kext, so it was not possible at the time of my writing the driver for me to register it as an airport device. But acctually registering it as an airport device isnt even really a good idea at this point imho. It offers no advantage apart from it looking nice in the gui. Once the driver runs as a normal wired NIC.. one could try to get it working as an airport interface, as that alone is difficult enough.

that being said, anyone sincerely interessted in working on this should look at the driver in the thread which i started.

tuxx

And where is the thread?

Thank you.

why don't we just port a driver from BSD like this one:

http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/faq.html

also, just to get it strait, has anyone succesfully created a osx86 driver for the intel 2100 or 2200?

original 2200bg thread banter

No. I remember watching the previous [tuxx's] thread grow and then get shut down...why did it get shut down? b/c of gremlins posting saying that they will donate and asking for updates. People are busy, OSx86 is more of a hobby than anything else. If you want the true experience, please go get a macbook. They're reasonably priced and hold their own.

As for tuxx:

I appreciate the effort you initially put in and I applaud you for how long you were able to stand the gremlins moaning about how you should just port from linux or BSD or this or that...anyway, congrats on the macbook.

PS: I'm willing to offer my coding skills, or lack thereof, to this project. CSci major having briefly studied OSes[*nix type stuff] and taking network programming soon. PM or email me.

Hi

tuxx

Just trying to be clear here Tuxx: I thought you'd given aroman access to your code base and he was working from that, not going for a whole new driver? And your 20 page thread has been shut down (for a good reason too, people whining about porting linux/bsd drivers have just no idea of how a microkernel works). I'd love to give your driver a spin, although as you say the lack of ieee80211 and network family kexts in 10.4.3 when you started definitely hindered development. Now that they are present in 10.4.6 (presumably... I don't have macbook yet) will the driver be able to be completed without too much effort?

To people offering coding help, just go and get the CVS code, work on it and then submit your modifications. Then the site admins might grant you full access and things will move forward. Just making empty offers isn't enough, you need to provide fresh code from the start, which is how all Open Source projects work.

hey tuxx, didn't I tell you what was going to happen to this?

anyway, to everyone else:

1. tuxx source code is already available, check the forum

2. the io80211 kext is non worth much if you don't know how it works (i.e. only headers are available but without futher infos it's not much use); Apple is keeping the stack closed.

3. it's not enough to port the driver section (that is simple enough, I for one did it for an ethernet card in few days). You also need to write the stack or at least a good chunk of it if you want a usuable driver (including WEP, WPA and so on)! That's what I said at the beginning of this thread, but to no avail. Why don't ppl listen?

4. STOP posting about this and that driver in BSD, Linux, MYGrandmaOS. Do you think a driver writer cannot find them already???

PS: re point 3; of course, if someone has access to IO80211 Apple's stack documentation please share it. Then we'd have a driver in a couple of weeks.

m.musashi.

Forgive me if i'm wrong but i thought this was a forum where by definition

we share our thoughts and opinions and free-speech was allowed.

Who suddenly made you a moderator?

I'll re-phrase that because moderators are a lot less heavy handed.

People are excited by this project and are trying to help by pointing at other

alternative drivers and source codes.

If it doesnt help fair enough just ignore the posts.

Regards

Niteman1969

stop pissing around... :) just code the driver :D:thumbsdown_anim:

i'm really interested in this driver too.

my hardware is very osx-compatible, but my wlan-connection with 2200bg is my need.

thank all the people out there for help porting such systems for everyone!

i'm doing alot of work in adobe's premiere... i wanna see finalcut acting, if it's okay, i'll go there and buy the real one... but i don't wanna buy the dead cat in the sack!

regards