Illustrated PDF: Vanilla OSX 10.5 on the Asrock ION 330 NetTop - NB: NOT for Pro or HD versions

shoarthing

323 posts in this topic

try the cups=1 switch before it boots up past the bootloader. If this is the case try enabling "No-execute memory protection" in BIOS (it's another switch in the BIOS that needs to be enabled/disabled).

bear in mind this info is all for the ASRock hardware, so your Hardware might not have the same settings etc.

I've had the reoot issue on a number of hackintoshes though, and it's usually the cpus=1 problem

Anyone know the cheapest usb souncard to hook up to the asrock 330 spdif output ofcourse (since it will be my HTPC ;)

DTS etc should work on the soundcard as well.

No progress on the audio problems :(

thnx guys

you can use every usb-soundcard.

you can't plug a soundcard into the spdif output....

What BIOS-settings do you have for USB? Any weird widgets plugged in to USB ports? . . . 'EHCI' = USB2 & Device ID 10de0aa6 is the ION chipset's USB2 controller, so that looks likely to be the focus of your hassle.

My USB BIOS-settings:

USB 2.0 Support [Disabled]

BIOS EHCI HAnd-Off [Enabled]

My system run now! Is correct? My USB works in 1.1.

Another, how I can get this:

" . . . try staying at OSX 10.5.6, or - as I have - after all the updates replacing the 10.5.8 versions with the vanilla 10.5.6 kernel plus matching system & seatbelt kexts (in this case from a 10.5.6 Unibody 17" restore DVD): the 10.5.6 kernel was the last to support HTT for the Atom 330 . . . ."

Thanks,

Bramo

DUally - Hi - I've ordered the Terratec Aureon dual-USB widget. It will be driving a pair of nearfield monitors (active & optical, obv) via TOS-link.

Bramo - Hi - if you want to have hyperthreading after any update to 10.5.8, save the 10.5.6 versions of: mach_kernel; seatbelt.kext; system.kext (& the 2x bluetoth.kexts if you use 'em) before you update.

Before any 10.5.8 update disable HTT [hyperthreading] if you're using it.

After any 10.5.8 update replace the above files/kexts with their 10.5.6 equivalents with correct permissions. Reboot with the flags:

-v -f

You will then be running with the 10.5.6 kernel, & can re-enable HTT to have 2+2 'cores'

ujen - threadcrapping is for the rude & for n00bs. You're best advised to start a thread dedicated to your Zotac hardware.

Thnx shoarting ! That's a nifty small device !
. . dunno if it would be what you appear to want. DTS, which you mention = multi-channel sound: I'm looking for accurate & bearable-quality stereo plus perhaps an active woofer if the bass is a bit thin.

Hey all, been away for a few days, but back and hoping to make some progress on our ASRock Ion's!

Something interesting I have seen on the audio using the VoodooHDA kext.....if you have the CPU under load, the audio playback is almost 100% perfect. Any chance this has something to do with HT? I am still running my vanilla 10.5.6 install with the only mofoed kext being the voodoohda.kext and removed the applehda.kext

. . hoekaaaaye: things have moved on a bit.

Now running fine using just 3x kexts in /Extra/Extensions: netkas' new 'fakesmc' + 'disabler' (disables both AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement & UpstreamClient - the latter is the DRM kext & gives mouse-lag on the ION 330 & mebbe other MCP79 mobos) + 'UUID'

Shutdown & restart working fine in 10.5.6 without needing to use OpenHaltRestart - haven't yet played with sleep - fakesmc looks like changing the game re: speedstep & so on.

Hyperthreading works fine with 10.5.6 [or with the 10.5.6 kernel + system & seatbelt kexts in 10.5.8].

USB2 completely solid using BIOS 150d

Hand-edited a new dsdt to sort out actual or potential HPET/RTC/TMR issues (fassl's patcher & the 'pcwiz' GUI thingie based on it don't work) - sadly there appears to be a complex & unsorted issue with the Atom 330 preventing use of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, even with a sorted dsdt

Using HDMI out to a Viera 37" plasma [unusual 720x1024 panel] - had to use SwitchResX to make a custom overscan-disabled resolution of 700x1216 - this works fine for 720p

Using USB sound. Will give VoodooHDA another try sometime over the w/e

Hi Shoarthing,

Where i get the BIOS 150d?

Thanks,

Bramo

. . . after stresstesting I'll be updating this guide within the next 24 hours, & will include a d/l link to this beta BIOS plus a matching dsdt.aml, plus a screenshot of required USB settings.

Major edit 25thAug2009 adding new install-file package including BIOS 150d & a matching dsdt.aml plus new installation files: now using netkas' fakesmc . . I'd say this little box now works really well; bar the built-in audio. Have started on working out how to enable sleep: all firsthand input welcome.

Hi,

I've got the ASrock and I'm running Ubuntu but there are too many problems with that so I want to swap to OSX. Is there still a need to remove the harddrive to do the first OSX installation (I tried to check the latest wflow files but I can't get that program to work on my Ubuntu)?

/Xter

Hi,

I've got the ASrock and I'm running Ubuntu but there are too many problems with that so I want to swap to OSX. Is there still a need to remove the harddrive to do the first OSX installation (I tried to check the latest wflow files but I can't get that program to work on my Ubuntu)?

/Xter

. . yup. If you made a BIOS based on 150d with a corrected acpi.rom (all it would need is the CPU alias' removed plus perhaps an OSI_ entry for Darwin with the same value as Vista plus a hand-edit to a couple of places where the HPET scope is wrong) then you could install from boot-132/whatever.

. . . as things stand, the above guide is probably the simplest way to go.

What issues are there with Ubuntu? . . . in OSX 10.5.8 [with the 10.5.6 kernel & etc] the performance is pretty good - I can run Elgato Eyeytv with a dual-channel widget, recording & viewing, at mebbe 60% CPU load.

Judging by comments on the Elgato forums, this is better than on a dualG5.

Obv there's no explicit off-loading to the GPU yet - mebbe in SL . . . . .

Sound is the hassle in OSX, plus [probably] sleep.

Major edit 25thAug2009 adding new install-file package including BIOS 150d & a matching dsdt.aml plus new installation files: now using netkas' fakesmc . . I'd say this little box now works really well; bar the built-in audio. Have started on working out how to enable sleep: all firsthand input welcome.

Thanks shoarthing for this update.

I followed your guide ( I used combo-update 10.5.8. ). Everything is working exept built-in audio and sleep. Even my remote control (interVideo RC301) came alive.

I am very pleased :thumbsup_anim:

Huzze - Hi - very glad to hear this. Are you running the 10.5.8 kernel? . . . if so, sleep may be possible using voodoopower & sleepenabler, tho' I suspect for a real solution we'll have to discover then write Atom 330 power-states to a dsdt

shorthing - hi - I'm running 10.5.8 kernel. I vill try voodoopower & sleepenabler before I'll go back to 10.5.6 kernel to get HTT. Thanks!

DUally - hi - the sleep is a kind of half sleep and it hangs so you must shutdown with the button. The 1080p has never been an issu for me and not for any other trying this guide. Am I wrong?

I'll keep testing my little box... :rolleyes: