Illustrated PDF: Vanilla OSX 10.5 on the Asrock ION 330 NetTop - NB: NOT for Pro or HD versions

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Did someone already try to run XBMC on it (on OSX ofcourse ;) or am I pushing the envelope here :)

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Hi, have you got any information on speed, video, audio on your Asrock @ OSX ?

Thank you k0tr@kt0r ! I got eventually one Atom 330 with dual cores in OSX ;)

One step forward. Now I can test my system and compare with shoarthings scores. :(

Huzze

Huzze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hi, have you got any information on speed, video, audio on your Asrock @ OSX ?

Hi! DUally. I hope you get yuor Asrock soon.
I have installed the OSX version of XBMC and it seems to run OK on Asrock ION.
The problem is sound and this problem is the same in XBMC and any other application.
With the voodooHDA.kext you can get sound but the sound is noisy. Shoarthing tried to rebuild voodooHDA.kext but with no improvement. A solution is to get a cheap USB-audio-board that is compatible with OSX.
USB2 will maybe work with the new BIOS that shoarthing got from Asrock. But this BIOS can lock you out from your system if you get it wrong.
It seems that we may soon have a fully working system. An Asrock ION with an extern USB-audio board.

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Hi Huzze, thnx for the information !
an external soundboard would mean one that could do spdif etc Hmmmmm...

Hi! DUally. I hope you get yuor Asrock soon.
I have installed the OSX version of XBMC and it seems to run OK on Asrock ION.
The problem is sound and this problem is the same in XBMC and any other application.
With the voodooHDA.kext you can get sound but the sound is noisy. Shoarthing tried to rebuild voodooHDA.kext but with no improvement. A solution is to get a cheap USB-audio-board that is compatible with OSX.
USB2 will maybe work with the new BIOS that shoarthing got from Asrock. But this BIOS can lock you out from your system if you get it wrong.
It seems that we may soon have a fully working system. An Asrock ION with an extern USB-audio board.

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Did someone already try to run XBMC on it (on OSX ofcourse ;) or am I pushing the envelope here ;)

. . not needed IMHO - see [edited] first post & its first image ;)

Am installing Elgato EyeTV [I have a dual-tuner USB widget] & their Turbo 264 hardware encoder.

Infra-red remote control of Front Row & applications of choice via Mira & their mantra receiver, with an Apple Remote.

Bluetooth working fine with an Apple k/b & mouse.

Wireless 'N' via an Edimax EW-7711UAn

All works as you'd hope, tho' in fact this 'silent' box is IMHO rather noisy, even at its quietest fan-setting.

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
;) Wow ! you're probably right Frontrow + iTunes does the trick as well
Have you tried testing it with some HD video ? and how have you worked around the audio issue ?

. . not needed IMHO - see [edited] first post & its first image ;)

bramo

bramo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Shoarthing,

I have a question:

I followed all the steps to install and received as a result the image attached. Any ideas?
I used:
10.5.6 vanilla
BIOS v1.50
ION_330_install.zip

Thanks,

Bramo

Attached Files

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
What BIOS-settings do you have for USB? Any weird widgets plugged in to USB ports? . . . 'EHCI' = USB2 & Device ID 10de0aa6 is the ION chipset's USB2 controller, so that looks likely to be the focus of your hassle.

gastromagig

gastromagig

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,
I do not have a AsRock 330 but I bought a zotac ion B version board, which is the single core version.
I tried following the instructions posted, but when I reinsterted the sata drive, it would load chameloen and then just reboot. I disabled hyperthreading and sata is at AHCI.

Any suggestions or is anyone having the same issue?

Thanks,
Gastromagig

BTW, I installed leopard on the harddrive with iAtkos v2 as i dont have a real leopard cd.
I tried doing a normal install with iAtkos on the machine and it had the same result. Darwin would load, and when I told it to load the installer, it would reboot.

Daveta

Daveta

Sardinian voyager

• Moderators
  • 7,239 posts
gastromagig, please open another topic. you're OT

DrPoyson

DrPoyson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:tech, gadgets, film, music, family, nerdism, mtb, skateboarding, having fun
try the cups=1 switch before it boots up past the bootloader. If this is the case try enabling "No-execute memory protection" in BIOS (it's another switch in the BIOS that needs to be enabled/disabled).

bear in mind this info is all for the ASRock hardware, so your Hardware might not have the same settings etc.

I've had the reoot issue on a number of hackintoshes though, and it's usually the cpus=1 problem

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Anyone know the cheapest usb souncard to hook up to the asrock 330 spdif output ofcourse (since it will be my HTPC :glare:
DTS etc should work on the soundcard as well.

No progress on the audio problems :D
thnx guys

EvoGT

EvoGT

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Anyone know the cheapest usb souncard to hook up to the asrock 330 spdif output ofcourse (since it will be my HTPC ;)
DTS etc should work on the soundcard as well.

No progress on the audio problems :(
thnx guys

you can use every usb-soundcard.
you can't plug a soundcard into the spdif output....

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Thnx, I was thinking the M-Audio transit would do the trick.
and I know spdif doenst connect to a usb port :( but thnx :(

bramo

bramo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

What BIOS-settings do you have for USB? Any weird widgets plugged in to USB ports? . . . 'EHCI' = USB2 & Device ID 10de0aa6 is the ION chipset's USB2 controller, so that looks likely to be the focus of your hassle.

My USB BIOS-settings:
USB 2.0 Support [Disabled]
BIOS EHCI HAnd-Off [Enabled]

My system run now! Is correct? My USB works in 1.1.

Another, how I can get this:

" . . . try staying at OSX 10.5.6, or - as I have - after all the updates replacing the 10.5.8 versions with the vanilla 10.5.6 kernel plus matching system & seatbelt kexts (in this case from a 10.5.6 Unibody 17" restore DVD): the 10.5.6 kernel was the last to support HTT for the Atom 330 . . . ."

Thanks,
Bramo

ujen

ujen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
i'v got a zotac ion its fully working except the bot time is around 7-10 mins, any idea how it can be fixed? also my upper usb ports don't work only the lower row works.

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
DUally - Hi - I've ordered the Terratec Aureon dual-USB widget. It will be driving a pair of nearfield monitors (active & optical, obv) via TOS-link.

Bramo - Hi - if you want to have hyperthreading after any update to 10.5.8, save the 10.5.6 versions of: mach_kernel; seatbelt.kext; system.kext (& the 2x bluetoth.kexts if you use 'em) before you update.

Before any 10.5.8 update disable HTT [hyperthreading] if you're using it.

After any 10.5.8 update replace the above files/kexts with their 10.5.6 equivalents with correct permissions. Reboot with the flags:

-v -f

You will then be running with the 10.5.6 kernel, & can re-enable HTT to have 2+2 'cores'

ujen - threadcrapping is for the rude & for n00bs. You're best advised to start a thread dedicated to your Zotac hardware.

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Thnx shoarting ! That's a nifty small device !

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Thnx shoarting ! That's a nifty small device !

. . dunno if it would be what you appear to want. DTS, which you mention = multi-channel sound: I'm looking for accurate & bearable-quality stereo plus perhaps an active woofer if the bass is a bit thin.

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
A I see, but any DTS passthrough usb audio card should work ?
Or does it have to come with drivers ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy