[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 Chameleon in EFI & Dual Boot Win7 on Same HDD for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

124 posts in this topic

Is it possible to do this if chameleon is installed on the OS X partition? I ask because I tried this with an old installation thinking to woiuld work fine, but i couldn't set OS X as the boot partition (even through gparted).

And, fdisk gives me a bunch of errors, heres what it loks like

bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1> f 1

Partition 1 marked active.

fdisk:*1> w

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]

MBR unchanged

fdisk:*1> y

Invalid command 'y'. Try 'help'.

fdisk:*1>

Any reason for this? I am on 10.6.1

Hi Suzuka. I have only done it with Chameleon on the EFI partition but I would have thought the way you tried it would work, but if you've tried it then I guess not.

You can always install Chameleon to EFI, copy everything you need to it, remove the boot file from your OS X partition then perform the steps in the guide. But as always make sure you have a BootCD or someway of getting back in to your system incase it goes wrong.

Hi Suzuka. I have only done it with Chameleon on the EFI partition but I would have thought the way you tried it would work, but if you've tried it then I guess not.

You can always install Chameleon to EFI, copy everything you need to it, remove the boot file from your OS X partition then perform the steps in the guide. But as always make sure you have a BootCD or someway of getting back in to your system incase it goes wrong.

Ok, but are there any good instructions on how to install RC3 to the EFI Partiton? There is not installer for it yet.

Also, whats up with my fdisk being all weird.

For installing Chameleon RC3, I would use the RC2 package installer, then just replace the boot file in the root of EFI with the one from the i386 folder of the RC3 files.

See 'How to Install' from h t t p://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20-rc3-with-snow-leopard-and-large-disk-support

As for your fdisk errors, I am no expert on it and to be honest, I don't know. Sorry

For installing Chameleon RC3, I would use the RC2 package installer, then just replace the boot file in the root of EFI with the one from the i386 folder of the RC3 files.

See 'How to Install' from h t t p://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20-rc3-with-snow-leopard-and-large-disk-support

As for your fdisk errors, I am no expert on it and to be honest, I don't know. Sorry

I figured it out, I thought y was another command not just the confirmation, wow I feel dumb lol

Im going to try this out, Ill tell you how it goes

EDIT: Well, it worked, but installing chameleon in the EFI partition didnt work.

After trying relentlessly to get 10.6.1 using the guide I couldn't do it. I think it was due to my HD4870. So I followed this one. And it worked like a charm. Im having one small problem I'm wondering if anybody else is.

Everything works like it should but my computer just restarts randomly. I'm almost positive its my video card because on a different hard drive I have a ideneb install i was just messing around with and it never restarts.

Does anyone know how to look up why it could be crashing in OS X or if anyone else has had the same type of issue. I tried checking the logs but I don't see anything other then the computer unexpectedly crashed but nothing to show why. I'm using DSDT for everything but the video and I used the simple 4870 install method.

Would it just be easier and work better if I got a 9800GTX+ and just did the video card via DSDT?

Btw, I appreciate all the hard work blackosx and others have put in for the install going smoothly and everything working pretty smoothly.

Rig:

QX6850 Extreme Quad

8GB Ram

Raptor 150gb HDD

GA-EP45-DS3L (of course) F10 bios

ATI HD4870 512mb

OS X 10.5.8

I figured it out, I thought y was another command not just the confirmation, wow I feel dumb lol

Im going to try this out, Ill tell you how it goes

EDIT: Well, it worked, but installing chameleon in the EFI partition didnt work.

Well done for getting it working Suzuka.

I don't understand why the EFI install didn't though.

After trying relentlessly to get 10.6.1 using the guide I couldn't do it. I think it was due to my HD4870. So I followed this one. And it worked like a charm. Im having one small problem I'm wondering if anybody else is.

Everything works like it should but my computer just restarts randomly. I'm almost positive its my video card because on a different hard drive I have a ideneb install i was just messing around with and it never restarts.

Would it just be easier and work better if I got a 9800GTX+ and just did the video card via DSDT?

Did you try using Netkas' PC EFI v10.3 for booting SL with your video card, instead of Chameleon RC3 boot file?

Have you got, or can you borrow, a different video card to try just to rule that out for your restart problem?

Well done for getting it working Suzuka.

I don't understand why the EFI install didn't though.

All I did after was reinstall Chameleon to my OS X partition, and left the EFI partition as the boot partition, It all works like it should, so if anyone else has the same problem as me, ignore the EFI partition

Great, thanks for letting me know Suzuka. ;)

Also for everyone, the guides I have made are just one way of working and of course feel free to vary them to suit how you want your system. Mix and match Leopard, Snow Leopard, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Chameleon on EFI partition, Chameleon on a separate partition or Chameleon on the system partition. Once you know how to install each, it's easy.

Hmm , my shutdown with o h r only works sometimes ?! What about this appleahci kext ?

What about appleahci.kext? Your mobo, like mine uses ICH10 so you shouldn't need to use that kext. What version of OS X have you installed 10.5 or 10.6?

I don't know why you system won't shutdown everytime. For my system with the EP45-DS3L, OpenHaltRestart works all the time. Maybe it something specific for your board?

Yeah maybe. However it is not that serious I can anytime turn off the power since osx shut down properly.

So it's more a matter of curiosity.

Thank you very much !

dl

EnzoFX has posted in my 10.6 thread regarding Win7 hanging at shutdown due to an issue with it's system time synchronization being incorrect.

It might come in useful for anyone experiencing a hang at shutdown with Win7.

Thanky alot !, Is there a way to look into the log files to see what is actually hindering the shutdown process?

If I can help in any way let me know .

Yes, that's what you said, but I took it to be just Win 7 only, not the other versions of Windows too.

EnzoFX has posted in my 10.6 thread regarding Win7 hanging at shutdown due to an issue with it's system time synchronization being incorrect.

It might come in useful for anyone experiencing a hang at shutdown with Win7.

I didn't mention anything about OS X not functioning correctly.

I'm trying to get dual boot on another computer working, single HDD, so I am working through your guide.

I installed Snow, Then Win7, it's bootloader took over, then I used usb flash drive to boot Snow, entered in terminal:

sudo -s

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (I receive: "Could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0 no such file or directory")

f 2 (I receive: Partition 2 flagged as active)

w

y

q

Then I restart, and neither OS boots now. The bios hangs @ "Verifying DMI Pool Data...."

Am I missing something here? Would instructions be different for Snow? If I didn't do it right, then I'd be booting into Win7, no? but now neither boots... Yeah, really need help here, have never done dual boot on single HDD.

Hi EnzoFX

A couple of others have had the same Error as you when running fdisk but I haven't been able to help as I have never received that error. But I have just had a thought.... Try using the modified fdisk which is in the Chameleon binary files. It might have absolutely no effect in this case, but it's worth a try?

h ttp://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,459.msg2437.html#msg2437

But no, the instructions shouldn't be any different for SL, other than adapting the /Extra folder to suit your SL install.

I got it working!

So that error I got was at Step 16. After typing in the commands, neither OS would boot. However, I could always boot OS X with the usb drive, so that's what I did.

I don't know why, but I decided to reinstall Cham 2 RC3 manually (which I had done this time around). I did it, and OS X was once again booting! So it appeared as if I simply had to move on in the steps in your guide.

Before "figuring" this out, I had tried flagging the Win7 partition (I don't know why lol), so I didn't get the same Windows error you did (specifically, the Win repair utility did not detect the Win7 partition), so I had to flag it again, and I then got the same error you got.... I think, this is all circumstantial, if you don't mess with it, I believe that all you have to do is proceed with the steps in the guide. Which after this, I did. They all worked perfectly, and it is now working. Hope this helps.