[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 Chameleon in EFI & Dual Boot Win7 on Same HDD for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

StanleyD

StanleyD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Blackosx,

First of all I want to thank you for you great tutorials, they are really straight and clear even for people who do not have much experience with OSX86.

Have you tried to dual boot Snow Leopard and Windows 7? I have tried to do so (with Chameleon RC2 640 and updated "boot" file on EFI partition) and I got is "Missing opearting system" error. However it is possible to boot 123 CD first and then run OSX/Windows from there.

Do you know what the solution could be? And are you going to write SL + Win7 tutorial?

Thank you,
StanleyD

d3t0x

d3t0x

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Greetings blackosx,

Fantastic work your doing here...

EDIT:

Reworked my dsdt.aml and it works! However, the audio is still kinda low, with the OS slider at full, I have to crank up the speakers to almost full to get decent volume from them (like 65-70 out of 80). Any ideas how i can increase the sound volume? Is it just a limitation of the ep45-ds3l or alc-888? (my p5b-deluxe with azalia is WAY louder... almost puts the alc888 to shame, except azalia is 2 channel & 32bit only)

Maybe this wasnt the right thread to post, but thanks anyway...

d3t0x

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts

Hi Blackosx,

First of all I want to thank you for you great tutorials, they are really straight and clear even for people who do not have much experience with OSX86.

Have you tried to dual boot Snow Leopard and Windows 7? I have tried to do so (with Chameleon RC2 640 and updated "boot" file on EFI partition) and I got is "Missing opearting system" error. However it is possible to boot 123 CD first and then run OSX/Windows from there.

Do you know what the solution could be? And are you going to write SL + Win7 tutorial?

Hi StanleyD - apologies for not replying sooner as all my time is being taken up with the Snow Leopard thread.
I haven't attempted to dual boot Snow Leopard with Win7 yet, but I can't see it being much different to this guide.. By what you have said you have installed it correctly and if OS X runs from the boot132 CD then all your problem is, is the bootloader on EFI.

I think the 'Missing Operating System' is a message from the Windows bootloader. Have you followed the install process in this guide and installed windows after OS X? If so, you won't have the 'System Reserved' partition so you can't be selecting that?.. Have you gone through the steps in this guide for making the systems active? As the final step involves making Chameleon the active partition which means the Windows bootloader won't start when you boot and therefore you shouldn't see the 'Missing Operating System' error.

Greetings blackosx,

Fantastic work your doing here...

EDIT:

Reworked my dsdt.aml and it works! However, the audio is still kinda low, with the OS slider at full, I have to crank up the speakers to almost full to get decent volume from them (like 65-70 out of 80). Any ideas how i can increase the sound volume? Is it just a limitation of the ep45-ds3l or alc-888? (my p5b-deluxe with azalia is WAY louder... almost puts the alc888 to shame, except azalia is 2 channel & 32bit only)

Well done d3t0x and yes, this guide does work ;)
So you had a problem with your DSDT.aml? I have heard somebody else mention their ALC888 audio having a low volume when using DSDT but I have never experienced it. Normally mine is too loud lol..

undo_undo

undo_undo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
BlackOSX,

I can report that I have installed dual boot Snow (re-installed using BootCD) and Win7 on the same drive. I installed Chameleon 2 RC3 on EFI partition. I followed your dual boot guide in conjunction with your Snow kitty install guide. The system seems to be fairly stable in Snow and Win7.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts

BlackOSX,

I can report that I have installed dual boot Snow (re-installed using BootCD) and Win7 on the same drive. I installed Chameleon 2 RC3 on EFI partition. I followed your dual boot guide in conjunction with your Snow kitty install guide. The system seems to be fairly stable in Snow and Win7.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

This is great! - I haven't had a chance to test this but well done and thanks for confirming it works :P

siromega

siromega

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hi, I tried to use the fdisk stuff, and I think I broke my install...

I installed 10.6 on my P35-DS3L (I used your P45-DS3L guide but sub'd out some of my kexts, it worked really well, thanks!). I have the EFI, Cham, OSX and W7 partitions (FAT32, HFS+, HFS+, NTFS). The drive is GPT partitioned.

Starting at step 16 of this guide (I didn't use the boot CD, rather a USB drive I had restored the 10.6 install to w/ Cham 2.0 RC2 installed), I tried to use fdisk to assign my Chameleon partition active but I kept getting errors about not having a MBR when I ran FDISK. Now the system isn't bootable off the HD (I have to use the USB OSX/Cham). Did using fdisk destroy the GPT data? How can I fix it w/o reinstalling everything?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts
Did you install the Chameleon bootloader on to the EFI partition as per this dual boot guide or to the Cham partition as per the 10.6 guide? I would suggest re-installing Chameleon to the EFI from the installer. Or do it manualy by following the instructions here Again just remember to use Diskutil List to identify which partition you are a targetting and change what's in red accrodingly.

mixloads31

mixloads31

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the guide

siromega

siromega

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Did you install the Chameleon bootloader on to the EFI partition as per this dual boot guide or to the Cham partition as per the 10.6 guide? I would suggest re-installing Chameleon to the EFI from the installer. Or do it manualy by following the instructions here Again just remember to use Diskutil List to identify which partition you are a targetting and change what's in red accrodingly.

I installed Chameleon to the Cham partition per the 10.6 guide.

I tried to execute the commands you linked to, however, I got this error...

bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1
fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
Enter 'help' for information
fdisk: 1>

if I try to mount my EFI partition I get "Invalid Argument"..
bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs: Invalid argument

My diskutil output looks like this..
bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
   0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*750.2 GB   disk0
   1:			   Windows_NTFS Alphastore			  375.4 GB   disk0s1
/dev/disk1
   #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
   0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*750.2 GB   disk1
   1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:				  Apple_HFS Cham					939.5 MB   disk1s2
   3:				  Apple_HFS OSX					 300.0 GB   disk1s3
   4:	   Microsoft Basic Data W7					  300.0 GB   disk1s4
   5:				  Apple_HFS OSX Backup			  148.7 GB   disk1s5

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts
Have you actually formatted the EFI partition?

If I were doing this then I would follow this guide, but rather than install 10.5, just install 10.6. Therefore, you won't have a Cham partition as this install is based around an EFI partition, OSX on 1st partition, Win7 on 2nd partition. What you have done is follow both guides but haven't thought about Chameleon is going to be installed twice.

Try formatting the EFI partition with this....
diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk1s1
(Ignore an error about 'Could not mount....." etc.)

Once formatted, you should then be able to mount it.

booti

booti

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi!

I got a similar problem. As described in the 10.6 Tutorial I have installed Snow Leopard and an additional partition with Cham on it. On the third Partition is now Windows 7 overrunning Chameleon. On my other drive is an old iAtkos installation which I can still boot in by selecting the drive in the bios boot menu. The diskutil list gives:
[codebox]/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *465.8 Gi disk0
1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Chameleon 896.0 Mi disk0s2
3: Apple_HFS SnowLeopard 309.5 Gi disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data 155.1 Gi disk0s4
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *465.8 Gi disk1
1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Untitled 1 465.4 Gi disk1s2

[/codebox]
Following your tutorial here I tried to put the Chameleon Partition back on active. But now, after restarting, it gives me no action. No Missing Operate System, nothing. You said, installing Chameleon on the Efi partition could help. Is there a possibility to copy just the whole content (as it already contains my edited chameleon) of the Chameleon partition to the efi partition? Nevertheless great work! I think I am just a little bit off the perfect installation...

booti

siromega

siromega

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Your boot CD KPs my computer before step 1 of this guide (after I swap media and hit enter, right after "Starting darwin"). I followed the guide but used my USB drive with a 10.6 image + Chameleon RC2 installed on it whenever it said to boot off the CD.

So I went through the guide, double checked everything for the EFI partition and copied everything over. When I reboot w/o the USB disk providing the bootloader it KPs right after boot. When I boot off the USB drive and tell it to boot the OSX partition (where SL is installed) it works fine (minus the video card stuff I added to the com.apple.boot.plist). I then replaced the boot file on the EFI partition with the one from Chameleon RC3, and it worked for some reason. Several reboots later (and the 10.6.1 upgrade) its working fine (even ran Galaxies OpenCL test, 160GFlops/s on my 250GTS).

I just started installing W7 so the next update might be a while....

Edit: booti I would try installing Chameleon as per this guide (step 4). When you install, instead of choosing the cham parition and standard installation under "customize installation" in the Chameleon install package, Choose your OSX partition, and then customize the install and choose Chameleon EFI HFS (see Step 4 instructions). From there, move to step 5b and mount the EFI partition, copy your stuff over from the chameleon partition and try that. You might need the Chameleon 2-RC3 boot file like I did above.

booti

booti

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi.
Ok, installed Cham to the EFI partition and the mount it like it is described in chapter 5. But when I want to copy my edited plists and kexts it gives me several errors
[codebox]cp -R *.* /Volumes/EFI/Extra/
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/SMBIOS.plist: Permission denied
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist: Permission denied
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/dsdt.aml: Permission denied

[/codebox]
For the extra files. And the errors for the kexts in the extension folder is pretty long:[codebox]cp -R LegacyHDA.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext: Permission denied
cp: LegacyHDA.kext: unable to copy extended attributes to /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext: Permission denied
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext/Contents: No such file or directory
cp: LegacyHDA.kext/Contents: unable to copy extended attributes to /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext/Contents: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist: No such file or directory

[/codebox]

Im a Noob when it comes to the terminal...What do I have to change?

siromega

siromega

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Did you "sudo -s" (and type in your password when it asked) first?

Permission denied would seem to indicate that you weren't doing this with elevated permissions.

spacr

spacr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Im getting the same permission denied error when Im trying to mount the EFI partition. I tried formatting the efi and I also used the sudo command. Im pulling my hair out here!

siromega

siromega

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hmm.. got the "No Operating system" error after step 16. If I mark the windows partition as active (step 19), W7 will boot again without issue.

I just realized I'm not going to be able to finish this guide for another 6 weeks anyways - you cant repair a W7 Pro installation with a W7 Ultimate disk. Even if the W7U disk has had the ei.cfg removed and allowed you to install W7 Pro...

squidwardd

squidwardd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Wow, what a weekend. First of all, again, thank you so much for your time and effort putting this together and most important of all keeping it up to date! I have bought 4 of these motherboards just so I can follow your guide to get them to work as perfectly as they can.

I will add comments on the other guides, too, but this was the most complex and I wanted to capture my issues and solutions.

I merged the Snow Leopard 10.6 guide with this dual boot guide for Windows 7.

I had my DSDT and USB boot drive with SL installed. The Boot ISO included in this KP'd immediately so it was not useful at all for me in this process. Not sure if it's outdated because of SL or just my config.

Two partitions on my 1tb drive - 465 GB for OSX and 500-ish gb for Windows FAT. GUID.
I installed SL no problem off of the USB drive.
Booted back in. Installed Chameleon to the EFI partition.
Copied my Chameleon files to the EFi per the dual boot instructions.
Installed Windows 7 exactly per the instructions.
Then good old Step 16 gave me the "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM" error. I would follow Step 16, but no luck. Every time I'd get the same error. I could boot up off the USB drive no problem, but without it I got nowhere after the AHCI stuff.

I fixed two things at once that finally solved it for me. My UUID changed. I guess I'm a noob enough here but I thought that was a permanent ID for the physical device like a serial number. I didn't realize that when I reformatted I got a new ID. So I updated the UUID with my Snow Leopard drive's UUID. I also followed your instructions in post 18. I copied over the boot0, etc. After I followed those instructions I re-did step 5b in the dual boot instructions and recopied over all of the /Extra/ and /Extensions/.

And boom! I booted back up, set the active partition to the EFI. Windows errored out. Set Windows as active partition, repaired Windows install, set EFI as active partition and here I am with a fully functional dual boot.

I'm not sure what exactly was the fix. I doubt it was the UUID since that was for Error 35's, but I share that in case it helps others.

On a side note, at one point I copied the RC3 r658 "boot" file to the EFI and when it was mounted it showed up as a "Document" and not as a "Unix executable file". Maybe I didn't copy it right but I thought that was my problem for a period of time.

Again, thank you so much. Hopefully I'm stable on both now.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts
Well done squidwardd with working out what you've needed to do :D

@siromega, booti & spacr - Well done for trying, and please be patient.

Most of the problems you are all having is because this guide was written for 10.5.7 and the BootCD at the start of this thread is also for the 10.5.7 install.

I added the 10.6 reference to this guide because undo_undo correctly pieced together what's needed. However, I think I need to remove the reference from this guide as although you can dual boot SL with Win7 perfectly well you are going to have do some thinking and have a solid understanding of whats needed to replace the relevant bits in this guide with what's needed for Snow Leopard.

So squidwardd, yes you are right, the BootCD for this guide won't work with 10.6 so you need to use a BootCD or USB drive from the 10.6 guide. You will need to use the Chameleon v2 RC3 boot file for 10.6 and and well done for keeping an eye on the UUID of the partition.

Maybe, sometime, I will re-write this guide for Snow Leopard so the step by step guide will hold your hand through the install process.

spacr

spacr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Blackosx- I may be the only one who is just trying to use 10.5.6 (I updated to 10.5.7 but only got garbled video) I tried to install SL way too many times. I got KPs every single time, no matter what install method. Not to mention the baffling dsdt file. Im computer savy but those tutorials are beyond me.

I just need a working version of osx so I can do some photoshop work for school which is why this is so frustrating.

Ive searched google and found many people with the same permission issue but no one has an answer. Im hoping someone on her can help me.

p.s Thank you very much for your Tutorial. It helps us noobs immensely

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts
Hi spacr

Hopefully you are running the same or if not similar hardware to me and if you just need OS X up and running, then try following my 10.5.7 Guide. This is easier and does not require using an EFI partition and no need to mess around with the Terminal as much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy