[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 Chameleon in EFI & Dual Boot Win7 on Same HDD for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

124 posts in this topic

Hi!

I got a similar problem. As described in the 10.6 Tutorial I have installed Snow Leopard and an additional partition with Cham on it. On the third Partition is now Windows 7 overrunning Chameleon. On my other drive is an old iAtkos installation which I can still boot in by selecting the drive in the bios boot menu. The diskutil list gives:

/dev/disk0
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *465.8 Gi   disk0
  1:                        EFI                         200.0 Mi   disk0s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS Chameleon               896.0 Mi   disk0s2
  3:                  Apple_HFS SnowLeopard             309.5 Gi   disk0s3
  4:       Microsoft Basic Data                         155.1 Gi   disk0s4
/dev/disk1
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *465.8 Gi   disk1
  1:                        EFI                         200.0 Mi   disk1s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS Untitled 1              465.4 Gi   disk1s2

Following your tutorial here I tried to put the Chameleon Partition back on active. But now, after restarting, it gives me no action. No Missing Operate System, nothing. You said, installing Chameleon on the Efi partition could help. Is there a possibility to copy just the whole content (as it already contains my edited chameleon) of the Chameleon partition to the efi partition? Nevertheless great work! I think I am just a little bit off the perfect installation...

booti

Your boot CD KPs my computer before step 1 of this guide (after I swap media and hit enter, right after "Starting darwin"). I followed the guide but used my USB drive with a 10.6 image + Chameleon RC2 installed on it whenever it said to boot off the CD.

So I went through the guide, double checked everything for the EFI partition and copied everything over. When I reboot w/o the USB disk providing the bootloader it KPs right after boot. When I boot off the USB drive and tell it to boot the OSX partition (where SL is installed) it works fine (minus the video card stuff I added to the com.apple.boot.plist). I then replaced the boot file on the EFI partition with the one from Chameleon RC3, and it worked for some reason. Several reboots later (and the 10.6.1 upgrade) its working fine (even ran Galaxies OpenCL test, 160GFlops/s on my 250GTS).

I just started installing W7 so the next update might be a while....

Edit: booti I would try installing Chameleon as per this guide (step 4). When you install, instead of choosing the cham parition and standard installation under "customize installation" in the Chameleon install package, Choose your OSX partition, and then customize the install and choose Chameleon EFI HFS (see Step 4 instructions). From there, move to step 5b and mount the EFI partition, copy your stuff over from the chameleon partition and try that. You might need the Chameleon 2-RC3 boot file like I did above.

Hi.

Ok, installed Cham to the EFI partition and the mount it like it is described in chapter 5. But when I want to copy my edited plists and kexts it gives me several errors

cp -R *.* /Volumes/EFI/Extra/
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/SMBIOS.plist: Permission denied
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist: Permission denied
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/dsdt.aml: Permission denied

For the extra files. And the errors for the kexts in the extension folder is pretty long:

cp -R LegacyHDA.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext: Permission denied
cp: LegacyHDA.kext: unable to copy extended attributes to /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext: Permission denied
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext/Contents: No such file or directory
cp: LegacyHDA.kext/Contents: unable to copy extended attributes to /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext/Contents: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist: No such file or directory

Im a Noob when it comes to the terminal...What do I have to change?

Hmm.. got the "No Operating system" error after step 16. If I mark the windows partition as active (step 19), W7 will boot again without issue.

I just realized I'm not going to be able to finish this guide for another 6 weeks anyways - you cant repair a W7 Pro installation with a W7 Ultimate disk. Even if the W7U disk has had the ei.cfg removed and allowed you to install W7 Pro...

Wow, what a weekend. First of all, again, thank you so much for your time and effort putting this together and most important of all keeping it up to date! I have bought 4 of these motherboards just so I can follow your guide to get them to work as perfectly as they can.

I will add comments on the other guides, too, but this was the most complex and I wanted to capture my issues and solutions.

I merged the Snow Leopard 10.6 guide with this dual boot guide for Windows 7.

I had my DSDT and USB boot drive with SL installed. The Boot ISO included in this KP'd immediately so it was not useful at all for me in this process. Not sure if it's outdated because of SL or just my config.

Two partitions on my 1tb drive - 465 GB for OSX and 500-ish gb for Windows FAT. GUID.

I installed SL no problem off of the USB drive.

Booted back in. Installed Chameleon to the EFI partition.

Copied my Chameleon files to the EFi per the dual boot instructions.

Installed Windows 7 exactly per the instructions.

Then good old Step 16 gave me the "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM" error. I would follow Step 16, but no luck. Every time I'd get the same error. I could boot up off the USB drive no problem, but without it I got nowhere after the AHCI stuff.

I fixed two things at once that finally solved it for me. My UUID changed. I guess I'm a noob enough here but I thought that was a permanent ID for the physical device like a serial number. I didn't realize that when I reformatted I got a new ID. So I updated the UUID with my Snow Leopard drive's UUID. I also followed your instructions in post 18. I copied over the boot0, etc. After I followed those instructions I re-did step 5b in the dual boot instructions and recopied over all of the /Extra/ and /Extensions/.

And boom! I booted back up, set the active partition to the EFI. Windows errored out. Set Windows as active partition, repaired Windows install, set EFI as active partition and here I am with a fully functional dual boot.

I'm not sure what exactly was the fix. I doubt it was the UUID since that was for Error 35's, but I share that in case it helps others.

On a side note, at one point I copied the RC3 r658 "boot" file to the EFI and when it was mounted it showed up as a "Document" and not as a "Unix executable file". Maybe I didn't copy it right but I thought that was my problem for a period of time.

Again, thank you so much. Hopefully I'm stable on both now.

Well done squidwardd with working out what you've needed to do :D

@siromega, booti & spacr - Well done for trying, and please be patient.

Most of the problems you are all having is because this guide was written for 10.5.7 and the BootCD at the start of this thread is also for the 10.5.7 install.

I added the 10.6 reference to this guide because undo_undo correctly pieced together what's needed. However, I think I need to remove the reference from this guide as although you can dual boot SL with Win7 perfectly well you are going to have do some thinking and have a solid understanding of whats needed to replace the relevant bits in this guide with what's needed for Snow Leopard.

So squidwardd, yes you are right, the BootCD for this guide won't work with 10.6 so you need to use a BootCD or USB drive from the 10.6 guide. You will need to use the Chameleon v2 RC3 boot file for 10.6 and and well done for keeping an eye on the UUID of the partition.

Maybe, sometime, I will re-write this guide for Snow Leopard so the step by step guide will hold your hand through the install process.

Blackosx- I may be the only one who is just trying to use 10.5.6 (I updated to 10.5.7 but only got garbled video) I tried to install SL way too many times. I got KPs every single time, no matter what install method. Not to mention the baffling dsdt file. Im computer savy but those tutorials are beyond me.

I just need a working version of osx so I can do some photoshop work for school which is why this is so frustrating.

Ive searched google and found many people with the same permission issue but no one has an answer. Im hoping someone on her can help me.

p.s Thank you very much for your Tutorial. It helps us noobs immensely

Hi spacr

Hopefully you are running the same or if not similar hardware to me and if you just need OS X up and running, then try following my 10.5.7 Guide. This is easier and does not require using an EFI partition and no need to mess around with the Terminal as much.

Im using the same mobo. I have hd 4870 video and was able to figure out how to get the hex for it.

If I follow that guide and install win7 on a separate partition, can I use your boot cd to access osx when I need it?

If I do decide to stick with dual boot is it possible to use a cham partition instead of installing to the EFI?

Thanks

Im using the same mobo. I have hd 4870 video and was able to figure out how to get the hex for it.

If I follow that guide and install win7 on a separate partition, can I use your boot cd to access osx when I need it?

If I do decide to stick with dual boot do you think a reinstall would correct any permission issues?

Thanks

Okay great. But I don't think the 4870 behaves very well with Snow Leopard. You will have to read Netkas' page about that if you eventually want to have 10.6 running.

If you follow my 10.5.7 guide and then install Win7 on a different HD then you will have no problems at all. But if you put it on a different partition on the same HDD then you should still be able to boot OS X with the BootCD, Yes.

If you do a complete wipe and re-install and stick exactly to this guide it will work.

Did you "sudo -s" (and type in your password when it asked) first?

Permission denied would seem to indicate that you weren't doing this with elevated permissions.

Of course I did :wacko:. Im doing the mounting and copying from my iAtkos install from the other harddisk. Can this be the reason for the permission problems?

Something I have just come across is that with Snow Leopard, Apple have changed diskutil and now to format the EFI partition without changing the format, so as to leave it as it would be in Leopard the Terminal command has changed..

It used to be: diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1

And it's now: sudo newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/rdiskXs1

As usual, change the numbers in RED to match your system.

Note: I haven't tried this at the moment, but I am just mentioning it for future reference.

Original source of this info

Hi!

I went the long way and did a reinstall with Cham on the Efi Paritiion and SL. Now Windows 7 runs in dual boot. Everything fine. But dont ask me why I cant edit the EFI Partition with root permissions and everything from my iAtkos install. Had a chat with an Unix guy and he cant explain it neither. Anyway now everything goes well and thank you very much...

Now I think of an SL Backup install on an USB Stick for rescuing the system or at least some files. Will test it and report....

YEAH! I believe I got it working.

So if you want to write a DB 10.6.x guide, take your regular 10.6 guide, but strip out the chameleon partition stuff and just use EFI, then add to it 10. Installing Windows 7 to the Windows partition and from there change only step 10.16 with the info from post #18 (thanks squidwardd!). Thats what I did to get Chameleon back in charge of booting again, and then went on with step 10.17, and through the rest of the guide (and it turns out the type of repair the guide uses didn't require me to have a W7Pro disk.

I've booted to W7 twice and to OSX twice and it works just great.

Sleep works as well, though I think I need to implement the bonjour fix (it wont see any of the other iTunes libraries in the house through iTunes).

Thanks again blackosx. Your guides are by far the best and most comprehensive.

Hi!

I went the long way and did a reinstall with Cham on the Efi Paritiion and SL. Now Windows 7 runs in dual boot. Everything fine. But dont ask me why I cant edit the EFI Partition with root permissions and everything from my iAtkos install. Had a chat with an Unix guy and he cant explain it neither. Anyway now everything goes well and thank you very much...

Now I think of an SL Backup install on an USB Stick for rescuing the system or at least some files. Will test it and report....

Well done for getting it to work booti :D

This dual boot guide is written from the point of view of installing Chameleon to the EFI partition. So as long as you stick with that and don't create a Cham partition then this guide works great :)

YEAH! I believe I got it working....

So if you want to write a DB 10.6.x guide, take your regular 10.6 guide, but strip out the chameleon partition stuff and just use EFI, then add to it 10. Installing Windows 7 to the Windows partition and from there change only step 10.16 with the info from post #18 (thanks squidwardd!)........

I've booted to W7 twice and to OSX twice and it works just great.

Well done to you siromega :D

I know how to write the guide for using it with Snow Leopard, I just haven't had the time to do that, plus all the info you need is in both this and the Snow Leopard guides. But the process you used is exactly what I have said here, only I haven't put it in step by step order. So well done again and hopefully you can help others here with your learnt knowledge? :P

thanks for the guide.

btw, i can't install windows 7 on the GPT hardisk?

i have formatted that destinated partition as fat32 in disk utitliy before i enter the installations.

try to delete it and reformat it in windows 7 installations,

but the installer keep saying it's GPT and cannot proceed the installations.

any hints for this?

I'm wondering if anyone can help me get my Windows 7 'bootcamp' working in VMware / Parallels. I have successfully installed Snow Leopard & Windows 7 on the same HD and can boot in to either through Chameleon. Chameleon RC3 is installed on to the Snow Leopard partition.

I did not install using this particular guide, but did use the bootcd in order to change the active partition to get SL & W7 accessibile.

diskutil list output:

/dev/disk0
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS Snow Leopard            268.4 GB   disk0s2
  3:       Microsoft Basic Data                         268.4 GB   disk0s3
  4:                  Apple_HFS Data                    462.9 GB   disk0s4

When VMware or Parallels attempts to boot the Windows install I get the following error:

boot0: testing
boot0: error

I have limited knowledge regarding boot strapping, Chameleon, etc so I'm at a loss to what this error is even trying to tell me. Can anyone provide any assistance with this problem?

Thanks.

Which Kexts do I need to get shutdown working properly on 10.5.8 ?

I have open halt restart and do not need the sleep function.

Does any other kext interfere with this guy to work properly?

Shall I use FakeSMC ?

A small overview with together working Kext would be very nice.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me get my Windows 7 'bootcamp' working in VMware / Parallels. I have successfully installed Snow Leopard & Windows 7 on the same HD and can boot in to either through Chameleon. Chameleon RC3 is installed on to the Snow Leopard partition.

When VMware or Parallels attempts to boot the Windows install I get the following error:

boot0: error

I tried this as well, got the same error message, spent a bit of time on it and never was able to get it. From what I remember before (but this was using 10.5 and MBR not 10.6 and GPT) you go into fdisk and make the windows partition active and then startup VMware's bootcamp system. Then mark the OSX partition active again after you started it. The idea is that VMWare would "learn" how to start up windows once, and then from there always know how to start it (since VMWare uses its own "bios" and a virtual boot sector that it stores as a file on the OSX file system, leaving your real boot sector untouched). However that doesn't work in 10.6/GPT it seems. Oh well. I ended up using part of my 2nd SATA HD that I have to install another copy of Windows =^(

I tried this as well, got the same error message, spent a bit of time on it and never was able to get it. From what I remember before (but this was using 10.5 and MBR not 10.6 and GPT) you go into fdisk and make the windows partition active and then startup VMware's bootcamp system. Then mark the OSX partition active again after you started it. The idea is that VMWare would "learn" how to start up windows once, and then from there always know how to start it (since VMWare uses its own "bios" and a virtual boot sector that it stores as a file on the OSX file system, leaving your real boot sector untouched). However that doesn't work in 10.6/GPT it seems. Oh well. I ended up using part of my 2nd SATA HD that I have to install another copy of Windows =^(

Yeah I messed around with a few things for a while and in the end decided to just shift some data around and install Windows on a seperate drive. Everything works fine now with VMWare. Thanks for confirming you saw the same issue.

If I do decide to stick with dual boot is it possible to use a cham partition instead of installing to the EFI?

Thanks

Check Netkas PC EFI 10.3..

http://netkas.org/?p=224

it includes all features of 10/10.1 (like 64-bit efi pages and etc), also introduces new features, like support for injecting ati radeon 48×0 cards in bootloader, like chameleon2 rc3 does for nvidia, more ati support will come later.

Good Luck..

thanks for the guide.

btw, i can't install windows 7 on the GPT hardisk?

i have formatted that destinated partition as fat32 in disk utitliy before i enter the installations.

try to delete it and reformat it in windows 7 installations,

but the installer keep saying it's GPT and cannot proceed the installations.

any hints for this?

Hi muitommy

Win7 should install just fine as per the guide. Make sure you have only a single HDD connected to SATA port 0 for the installation.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me get my Windows 7 'bootcamp' working in VMware / Parallels.

When I wrote this guide I didn't manage to get Win7 installed through VMware so in the end I just stuck with Vista as it didn't give me any problems. I haven't tried since.

EDIT: I see that siromega has helped shed some light on this, thanks. And you have now used the 2nd HD option. Great.

Which Kexts do I need to get shutdown working properly on 10.5.8 ?

I have open halt restart and do not need the sleep function.

Does any other kext interfere with this guy to work properly?

Shall I use FakeSMC ?

A small overview with together working Kext would be very nice.

For this mobo, all you need for your system to shutdown is OpenHaltRestart.