[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 Chameleon in EFI & Dual Boot Win7 on Same HDD for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

124 posts in this topic

figured since i have a brand new os x install i may as well try some things.

any thoughts on booting and installing win 7 to the windows partition (as per blackosx vanilla guide) and then writing the chameleon setup from the chameleon partition to EFI afterward?

the trick will be to reboot with a boot cd to allow me to boot into my leopard install to do the EFI writing and hopefully make it the default boot partition.

i'm just wondering if that would save any steps.

any thoughts on booting and installing win 7 to the windows partition (as per blackosx vanilla guide) and then writing the chameleon setup from the chameleon partition to EFI afterward?

You should be able to do it from your Leopard partition. But I would try it before installing Win 7.

Just run the Chameleon installer again but this time install to EFI, the copy all the relevant kexts etc. to EFI.

You can then just erase the Chameleon partition with Disk Utility, but I don't know how you would go about removing the Chameleon volume?

But understand that I haven't tried this procedure.

Does this help?

You should be able to do it from your Leopard partition. But I would try it before installing Win 7.

Just run the Chameleon installer again but this time install to EFI, the copy all the relevant kexts etc. to EFI.

You can then just erase the Chameleon partition with Disk Utility, but I don't know how you would go about removing the Chameleon volume?

But understand that I haven't tried this procedure.

Does this help?

still in learning mode. :) if i understood in your guide, windows install will overwrite the bootloader. is this not the same thing as what i have on my chameleon partition, except it was overwritten if it was on the EFI partition?

if that is correct, my idea was to skip the part where we install chameleon on the EFI partition until after windows install, so that it does not need to be done twice.

in my case i wonder do i need EFI partition at all, if i have chameleon partition... because windows won't touch that, and #16 on page 14 in your guide suggests that maybe i can keep chameleon there. i like it there, less hassle for making changes and fooling around :)

but maybe i am misunderstanding what the chameleon installer does. i thought it only put the files you see on the partition. does it do more than that?

Hi neilK

I have only written about what I have done. But there is no hard and fast rule as to what can or can't be done. So yes, please try it without the EFI partition and let me know. I am also interested in testing out the solution -iCE!HACKER- posted a few post back.

With regard to Chameleon, it does put a hidden boot file on the partition too, as well as the ones you see, and it flags that partition as active.

I look forward to hearing how you get on :)

well it was an interesting evening :)

windows 7 install went without a hitch. (to the poster earlier who couldn't get it to install to the 4th partition, mine worked fine after i let the installer re-format the partition, as per the guide. ymmv)

however, i had some challenges. could not get it to recognize my chameleon partition for booting. just would not do it, and would hang at the very end of the startup process where the boot loader would normally come in.

so i did a chameleon install to EFI HFS without extras, used terminal to copy over my extensions and extra from the chameleon partition. just to be safe before the install, i used terminal to eraseVolume on the EFI partition.

reboot and TA-DA! chameleon.

so my step 16 took a few extra steps :)

continued from there, win7 install disc and repair windows so it could see its partition, then back to osx with boot 132 cd (using the leopardsoup one for ga-p35-ds3l all this time - so thanks for that weaksauce!) to set EFI for boot. all working fine.

i am going to make another attempt to see if i can get chameleon partition to boot. if not, it's no big deal. i can still use it for tweaks then overwrite to EFI partition.

one very minor issue - the NTFS volume for windows is showing on my os x desktop, even though i have finder prefs set to not show hard drives. it has the normal HD metal icon. any ideas? it's purely cosmetic i know but... :(

Well done for having a go, and you got it working, great :(

And thanks for reporting back.... Like you, I have only had it working from the EFI partition, so next time I do this i will have a go at using the Chameleon partition too.

As for the NTFS partition, that happened for me also. I have read somewhere about a Terminal command to remove this but I never tried it and I can't remember where I found it, sorry.

But well done.

i think you can do something in terminal so that it won't mount. but i'm going to try the cheapest trick ever... i'll reboot to win7 and rename the drive with a '.' as the first character :mellow:

i'll let you know if it works.

info in that thread worked for me. i had googled up another version that used UUID instead of the volume name, otherwise the same.

Brilliant! :) I haven't really read it, so for info can you tell me what command you used?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Blackosx,

First of all I want to thank you for you great tutorials, they are really straight and clear even for people who do not have much experience with OSX86.

Have you tried to dual boot Snow Leopard and Windows 7? I have tried to do so (with Chameleon RC2 640 and updated "boot" file on EFI partition) and I got is "Missing opearting system" error. However it is possible to boot 123 CD first and then run OSX/Windows from there.

Do you know what the solution could be? And are you going to write SL + Win7 tutorial?

Thank you,

StanleyD

Greetings blackosx,

Fantastic work your doing here...

EDIT:

Reworked my dsdt.aml and it works! However, the audio is still kinda low, with the OS slider at full, I have to crank up the speakers to almost full to get decent volume from them (like 65-70 out of 80). Any ideas how i can increase the sound volume? Is it just a limitation of the ep45-ds3l or alc-888? (my p5b-deluxe with azalia is WAY louder... almost puts the alc888 to shame, except azalia is 2 channel & 32bit only)

Maybe this wasnt the right thread to post, but thanks anyway...

d3t0x

Hi Blackosx,

First of all I want to thank you for you great tutorials, they are really straight and clear even for people who do not have much experience with OSX86.

Have you tried to dual boot Snow Leopard and Windows 7? I have tried to do so (with Chameleon RC2 640 and updated "boot" file on EFI partition) and I got is "Missing opearting system" error. However it is possible to boot 123 CD first and then run OSX/Windows from there.

Do you know what the solution could be? And are you going to write SL + Win7 tutorial?

Hi StanleyD - apologies for not replying sooner as all my time is being taken up with the Snow Leopard thread.

I haven't attempted to dual boot Snow Leopard with Win7 yet, but I can't see it being much different to this guide.. By what you have said you have installed it correctly and if OS X runs from the boot132 CD then all your problem is, is the bootloader on EFI.

I think the 'Missing Operating System' is a message from the Windows bootloader. Have you followed the install process in this guide and installed windows after OS X? If so, you won't have the 'System Reserved' partition so you can't be selecting that?.. Have you gone through the steps in this guide for making the systems active? As the final step involves making Chameleon the active partition which means the Windows bootloader won't start when you boot and therefore you shouldn't see the 'Missing Operating System' error.

Greetings blackosx,

Fantastic work your doing here...

EDIT:

Reworked my dsdt.aml and it works! However, the audio is still kinda low, with the OS slider at full, I have to crank up the speakers to almost full to get decent volume from them (like 65-70 out of 80). Any ideas how i can increase the sound volume? Is it just a limitation of the ep45-ds3l or alc-888? (my p5b-deluxe with azalia is WAY louder... almost puts the alc888 to shame, except azalia is 2 channel & 32bit only)

Well done d3t0x and yes, this guide does work ;)

So you had a problem with your DSDT.aml? I have heard somebody else mention their ALC888 audio having a low volume when using DSDT but I have never experienced it. Normally mine is too loud lol..

BlackOSX,

I can report that I have installed dual boot Snow (re-installed using BootCD) and Win7 on the same drive. I installed Chameleon 2 RC3 on EFI partition. I followed your dual boot guide in conjunction with your Snow kitty install guide. The system seems to be fairly stable in Snow and Win7.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

BlackOSX,

I can report that I have installed dual boot Snow (re-installed using BootCD) and Win7 on the same drive. I installed Chameleon 2 RC3 on EFI partition. I followed your dual boot guide in conjunction with your Snow kitty install guide. The system seems to be fairly stable in Snow and Win7.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

This is great! - I haven't had a chance to test this but well done and thanks for confirming it works :P

Hi, I tried to use the fdisk stuff, and I think I broke my install...

I installed 10.6 on my P35-DS3L (I used your P45-DS3L guide but sub'd out some of my kexts, it worked really well, thanks!). I have the EFI, Cham, OSX and W7 partitions (FAT32, HFS+, HFS+, NTFS). The drive is GPT partitioned.

Starting at step 16 of this guide (I didn't use the boot CD, rather a USB drive I had restored the 10.6 install to w/ Cham 2.0 RC2 installed), I tried to use fdisk to assign my Chameleon partition active but I kept getting errors about not having a MBR when I ran FDISK. Now the system isn't bootable off the HD (I have to use the USB OSX/Cham). Did using fdisk destroy the GPT data? How can I fix it w/o reinstalling everything?

Did you install the Chameleon bootloader on to the EFI partition as per this dual boot guide or to the Cham partition as per the 10.6 guide? I would suggest re-installing Chameleon to the EFI from the installer. Or do it manualy by following the instructions here Again just remember to use Diskutil List to identify which partition you are a targetting and change what's in red accrodingly.

Did you install the Chameleon bootloader on to the EFI partition as per this dual boot guide or to the Cham partition as per the 10.6 guide? I would suggest re-installing Chameleon to the EFI from the installer. Or do it manualy by following the instructions here Again just remember to use Diskutil List to identify which partition you are a targetting and change what's in red accrodingly.

I installed Chameleon to the Cham partition per the 10.6 guide.

I tried to execute the commands you linked to, however, I got this error...

bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1
fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
Enter 'help' for information
fdisk: 1>

if I try to mount my EFI partition I get "Invalid Argument"..

bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs: Invalid argument

My diskutil output looks like this..

bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*750.2 GB   disk0
  1:			   Windows_NTFS Alphastore			  375.4 GB   disk0s1
/dev/disk1
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*750.2 GB   disk1
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk1s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Cham					939.5 MB   disk1s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS OSX					 300.0 GB   disk1s3
  4:	   Microsoft Basic Data W7					  300.0 GB   disk1s4
  5:				  Apple_HFS OSX Backup			  148.7 GB   disk1s5

Have you actually formatted the EFI partition?

If I were doing this then I would follow this guide, but rather than install 10.5, just install 10.6. Therefore, you won't have a Cham partition as this install is based around an EFI partition, OSX on 1st partition, Win7 on 2nd partition. What you have done is follow both guides but haven't thought about Chameleon is going to be installed twice.

Try formatting the EFI partition with this....

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk1s1

(Ignore an error about 'Could not mount....." etc.)

Once formatted, you should then be able to mount it.