[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 Chameleon in EFI & Dual Boot Win7 on Same HDD for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

gunterTheMonkey

gunterTheMonkey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

The orange icons are because you must be missing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from /Extra/Extensions.
Can you double check you have OpenHaltRestart in /Extra/Extensions too?

On the previous install, when the boot process stuck at 'Verifying DMI pool data', did you AHCI turned on?

Whoa...I was looking into my hidden EFI partition right before you posted this. All the required kexts were in /Extra/Extensions, but I noticed that they weren't the same size as the ones in forEFI folder that I got from you. They must had gotten corrupted during the transfer with Terminal. I replaced all of them except UUID.kext and everything's back to normal.

As for my previous install, I believe AHCI was still off 'cause Vista was suppose to reboot to complete the process. I forgot to mention that I did turn it back on before I tried using the boot132 CD, but it just hung at "Verifying DMI pool data" instead of rebooting.

Anyway, I'm pretty content with what I have right now. I'm still dual booting with Vista on another HHD. I just thought maybe I could remove one of the drives from my case and turn it into an external drive to clear some of the clutter. No big deal...

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,083 posts
Great, thanks for letting me know you tried this dual boot though. And if you try it again, or indeed, if I try it again I will double check the settings with regard to AHCI.

Well done for sorting your kexts in /Extra/Extensions. The EFI install does give a cleaner system making it more like a real mac ;)

-iCE!HACKER-

-iCE!HACKER-

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi Blackosx,

Well i had done an install on my rig some time ago... all i did was boot from the "GA-EP45-DS3L v1.01.iso" cd then put Mac OSX Retail DVD booted from it created my partitions

/dev/disk0
   #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
   0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*186.3 Gi   disk0
   1:						EFI						 200.0 Mi   disk0s1
   2:				  Apple_HFS Chameleon			   896.0 Mi   disk0s2
   3:				  Apple_HFS MACOSX				  60.0 Gi	disk0s3
   4:	   Microsoft Basic Data Windows7				60.0 Gi	disk0s4
   5:				  Apple_HFS HACINTOSH			   16.0 Gi	disk0s5
   6:				  Apple_HFS DATA					48.9 Gi	disk0s6

then canceled installation put a windows 7 7100 64bit msdn edition dvd booted with it at that time " 4: Microsoft Basic Data Windows7 60.0 Gi disk0s4" was fat32 so all i did was select the fat32 partition and format it. Then continued installing windows 7 finished and then just used the rest of your guide "GA-EP45-DS3L_Vanilla_Install_Guide V2.1.pdf" for the rest of my setup. After all was over i booted into Windows 7 through Chameleon.

hope you or someone can try it like this and verify if it works.

Regards
iCEHACKER

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,083 posts
Really? This in interesting.. I don't know what to say other than I will have to try it when I next go to put Win7 on. I have wiped that install for the time being as I am trialling Snow Leopard builds etc.

Thanks for the input iCEHACKER
:P

-iCE!HACKER-

-iCE!HACKER-

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Really? This in interesting.. I don't know what to say other than I will have to try it when I next go to put Win7 on. I have wiped that install for the time being as I am trialling Snow Leopard builds etc.

Thanks for the input iCEHACKER
:(

cool man so r u gonna make tutorials for Snow Leopard too ... that would be really somthing

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,083 posts
That's the plan....:blink:

neilK

neilK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
figured since i have a brand new os x install i may as well try some things.

any thoughts on booting and installing win 7 to the windows partition (as per blackosx vanilla guide) and then writing the chameleon setup from the chameleon partition to EFI afterward?

the trick will be to reboot with a boot cd to allow me to boot into my leopard install to do the EFI writing and hopefully make it the default boot partition.

i'm just wondering if that would save any steps.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,083 posts

any thoughts on booting and installing win 7 to the windows partition (as per blackosx vanilla guide) and then writing the chameleon setup from the chameleon partition to EFI afterward?

You should be able to do it from your Leopard partition. But I would try it before installing Win 7.
Just run the Chameleon installer again but this time install to EFI, the copy all the relevant kexts etc. to EFI.
You can then just erase the Chameleon partition with Disk Utility, but I don't know how you would go about removing the Chameleon volume?

But understand that I haven't tried this procedure.

Does this help?

neilK

neilK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

You should be able to do it from your Leopard partition. But I would try it before installing Win 7.
Just run the Chameleon installer again but this time install to EFI, the copy all the relevant kexts etc. to EFI.
You can then just erase the Chameleon partition with Disk Utility, but I don't know how you would go about removing the Chameleon volume?

But understand that I haven't tried this procedure.

Does this help?

still in learning mode. :) if i understood in your guide, windows install will overwrite the bootloader. is this not the same thing as what i have on my chameleon partition, except it was overwritten if it was on the EFI partition?

if that is correct, my idea was to skip the part where we install chameleon on the EFI partition until after windows install, so that it does not need to be done twice.

in my case i wonder do i need EFI partition at all, if i have chameleon partition... because windows won't touch that, and #16 on page 14 in your guide suggests that maybe i can keep chameleon there. i like it there, less hassle for making changes and fooling around :)

but maybe i am misunderstanding what the chameleon installer does. i thought it only put the files you see on the partition. does it do more than that?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,083 posts
Hi neilK

I have only written about what I have done. But there is no hard and fast rule as to what can or can't be done. So yes, please try it without the EFI partition and let me know. I am also interested in testing out the solution -iCE!HACKER- posted a few post back.

With regard to Chameleon, it does put a hidden boot file on the partition too, as well as the ones you see, and it flags that partition as active.

I look forward to hearing how you get on :)

neilK

neilK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
well it was an interesting evening :)

windows 7 install went without a hitch. (to the poster earlier who couldn't get it to install to the 4th partition, mine worked fine after i let the installer re-format the partition, as per the guide. ymmv)

however, i had some challenges. could not get it to recognize my chameleon partition for booting. just would not do it, and would hang at the very end of the startup process where the boot loader would normally come in.

so i did a chameleon install to EFI HFS without extras, used terminal to copy over my extensions and extra from the chameleon partition. just to be safe before the install, i used terminal to eraseVolume on the EFI partition.

reboot and TA-DA! chameleon.

so my step 16 took a few extra steps :)

continued from there, win7 install disc and repair windows so it could see its partition, then back to osx with boot 132 cd (using the leopardsoup one for ga-p35-ds3l all this time - so thanks for that weaksauce!) to set EFI for boot. all working fine.

i am going to make another attempt to see if i can get chameleon partition to boot. if not, it's no big deal. i can still use it for tweaks then overwrite to EFI partition.

one very minor issue - the NTFS volume for windows is showing on my os x desktop, even though i have finder prefs set to not show hard drives. it has the normal HD metal icon. any ideas? it's purely cosmetic i know but... :(

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,083 posts
Well done for having a go, and you got it working, great :(
And thanks for reporting back.... Like you, I have only had it working from the EFI partition, so next time I do this i will have a go at using the Chameleon partition too.

As for the NTFS partition, that happened for me also. I have read somewhere about a Terminal command to remove this but I never tried it and I can't remember where I found it, sorry.

But well done.

neilK

neilK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
i think you can do something in terminal so that it won't mount. but i'm going to try the cheapest trick ever... i'll reboot to win7 and rename the drive with a '.' as the first character :mellow:

i'll let you know if it works.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,083 posts
Okay.. but here's the thread I was on about.. I haven't read it all the way through but it's talking about the same issue.

neilK

neilK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
info in that thread worked for me. i had googled up another version that used UUID instead of the volume name, otherwise the same.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,083 posts

info in that thread worked for me. i had googled up another version that used UUID instead of the volume name, otherwise the same.

Brilliant! :) I haven't really read it, so for info can you tell me what command you used?

neilK

neilK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
used pico to edit fstab. used 'label=volumename' (winseven in my case) instead of the UUID method.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,083 posts

used pico to edit fstab. used 'label=volumename' (winseven in my case) instead of the UUID method.

Thanks for the feedback neilK :(

maleorderbride

maleorderbride

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I am geting a "disk error" message after updating to 10.5.8 with my EFI boot system. Any ideas?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,083 posts

I am geting a "disk error" message after updating to 10.5.8 with my EFI boot system. Any ideas?

Maybe you have a physical disk error... in which case you will need to backup everything and run some diagnostic tests of the HD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy