Leopard 10.5.7 Vanilla Installation on EVGA X58 SLI [GUIDE/TUTORIAL]

96 posts in this topic

So I figured out how to install the Retail image. I followed the guide located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...use+this+volume

In short, do this:

1. Open a terminal

2. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:
    cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

3. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:
    open OSInstall.mpkg

4. Install onto your Macintosh labeled drive

To add insult to injury, Digital_Dreamer's script had an option for installing from retail DVD. Only saw it after I installed it on my HD. Now trying to install aquamac's drivers for my 9800 GTX+ and hoping I can get it to boot without the boot-132 disk.

Thanks again!

Haha, this is exactly what i just found. I only had the restart option and had to do the same thing. I'm now in my retail installation and working on getting my graphics drivers too. Good luck!

I have the install done. All is well. However, it seems that the clock speed is moving ridiculously fast, which in turn is effecting almost everything in the operating system. It's running maybe 2.5 seconds per actual second. I thought this was due to overclocking, but I reinstalled with my processor and memory not overclocked, and still the same issue.

What do you guys think the root cause of this is?

I have the install done. All is well. However, it seems that the clock speed is moving ridiculously fast, which in turn is effecting almost everything in the operating system. It's running maybe 2.5 seconds per actual second. I thought this was due to overclocking, but I reinstalled with my processor and memory not overclocked, and still the same issue.

busratio and chameleon

This happens when you are using an older bootloader, like those commonly used in a EFI setup (chameleon v1), and a vanilla kernel. The best solution is to update to chameleon v2. The only other solution is to use a modified kernel, like the voodoo-based kernels.

MAJ

So i should add that this guide/files work on my eVGA 121-BL-E756-TR if you want to put that on the top of your tutorial... thanks ihavearedcouch for putting it all together. Sure saved a lot of time and headache.... Now to work on getting snow leopard up and running! :(

Hello - I've successfully (somewhat) installed retail 10.5.7 on a similar setup. I've got an EVGA X58 SLI LE board with Core i7, 6 GB triple channel RAM (3x2GB), and two 1TB HDDs. When booting from Chameleon 2 in verbose mode everything goes smoothly until the line AppleTyMCEDriver: :start memory monitor through MCA

Then it freezes for all eternity. I'm a little stumped as to what I should do in order to fix this. Thanks for all the help that I've gotten from reading.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed that it is showing the name as MacPro 4,1. 1 processor, 8 cores. Is this correct, or does it need to be showing MacPro2, 1?

EDIT 2: It will successfully boot in safe mode, and then says it is a 3.2 GHz processor (instead of 2.6), and that it is 1 processor 1 core

Hello - I've successfully (somewhat) installed retail 10.5.7 on a similar setup. I've got an EVGA X58 SLI LE board with Core i7, 6 GB triple channel RAM (3x2GB), and two 1TB HDDs. When booting from Chameleon 2 in verbose mode everything goes smoothly until the line AppleTyMCEDriver: :start memory monitor through MCA

Then it freezes for all eternity. I'm a little stumped as to what I should do in order to fix this. Thanks for all the help that I've gotten from reading.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed that it is showing the name as MacPro 4,1. 1 processor, 8 cores. Is this correct, or does it need to be showing MacPro2, 1?

EDIT 2: It will successfully boot in safe mode, and then says it is a 3.2 GHz processor (instead of 2.6), and that it is 1 processor 1 core

you need to edit your smbios.plist to say MacPro2,1 instead of 4,1

also make sure its that way in your com.apple.boot.plist

for any of you with the evga boards wondering about snow leopard, I just got it running last night. It seems pretty stable so far (in -x32 mode). I'm still working on the audio. Gonna try to use the 10.5.7 applehda kext and see what happens

Hey, followed your guide and everything worked as planned i just have a few issues.

1. Microphone doesnt work or does the other two channels of the 5.1 thing, i could care-less about 5.1 sound, but a mic would be nice.

2. i have a 9800gx2 which has been a nightmare, I tried using those nvidia drivers that you provided and still a no-go.

for any of you with the evga boards wondering about snow leopard, I just got it running last night. It seems pretty stable so far (in -x32 mode). I'm still working on the audio. Gonna try to use the 10.5.7 applehda kext and see what happens

Hi

Congratulation!

'Hope you can kindly share how you succeeded installing SL.

thanks

This happens when you are using an older bootloader, like those commonly used in a EFI setup (chameleon v1), and a vanilla kernel. The best solution is to update to chameleon v2. The only other solution is to use a modified kernel, like the voodoo-based kernels.

MAJ

Thanks, digital_dreamer (your script works great!) and ihavearedcouch.

I noticed that I had to install Chameleon using the command line as stated in the readme file, rather than using the package I downloaded--I thought it was already installed. Feels pretty good running a vanilla Leopard on my rig. :)

Did anyone else have any problems with getting X11/xterm to work? I click on the app and nothing happens.

Hey, followed your guide and everything worked as planned i just have a few issues.

2. i have a 9800gx2 which has been a nightmare, I tried using those nvidia drivers that you provided and still a no-go.

I got my graphics cards to work with the Nvidia Enabler and Aquamac's NVIDIA 9000 Series Driver v2.

Nvidia Enabler: http://rapidshare.de/files/47461448/Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg.html

Aquamac's driver: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...aded&start=

Please help.

I have followed your guide. I have two harddrives install. ideneb v1.4 OSX86 10.5.6 install on the 80GB HD and it will boot if I add the busratio=20. The second drive is a 500GB. I download a OSX 10.5 install disk. I converted the file from .dmg to an ISO file and burn to DVD DL. When i click on the "Install MAC OS X Icon" I get "Click the button below to restart your computer and begin the installation process". When I click the button the system restarts and loads back into ideneb distro. How do I get the OSX to install? I have also copy the dmg file I downloaded to the PC but get the same results.

Nickodemus

Please help.

I have followed your guide. I have two harddrives install. ideneb v1.4 OSX86 10.5.6 install on the 80GB HD and it will boot if I add the busratio=20. The second drive is a 500GB. I download a OSX 10.5 install disk. I converted the file from .dmg to an ISO file and burn to DVD DL. When i click on the "Install MAC OS X Icon" I get "Click the button below to restart your computer and begin the installation process". When I click the button the system restarts and loads back into ideneb distro. How do I get the OSX to install? I have also copy the dmg file I downloaded to the PC but get the same results.

Nickodemus

You don't need to burn DL. Once you installed the distro, you can mount OSX 10.5 disk on your desktop screen.

Then, follow the this thread. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1233274

You will need to 10.5.8 combo update from apple download site, too.

good luck.

Ok, I got the OSX 10.5.6 Retail DVD install and I can boot. The Graphic card is another story.

Geforce 9800 GX2 ( seen many posts on getting to work on Nvidia chipset )

Time to rock the Intel world and get this working on X58

I have Ideneb install on one drv and the graphic works great.

I have OSX 10.5.7 Retail install on the other.

I used the NVdarwin 512 option during install.

I cannot get the graphic to work other then basic 1024x768 on the OSX retail DVD install and it does recognize my card correctly.

The question is can i used kexts and files from the ideneb install so they work on the OSX retail install?

If so what file(s) do i need?

What commands do i need to run?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Nickodemus

PS I upgraded to 10.5.8 and system still boots but graphic are the same.

I have no problem reinstalling if needed. This is my 6 install of OSX retail DVD trying to get things working.

UPDATE: nVidia Geforce 9800 GX2 working on vanilla install 10.5.7.

I followed the above guide to install Retail OSX 10.5.6 on another drive and did the update to 10.5.7.

After the install my card still was not working. I used the iDeneb V1.4 OSX86 10.5.6 install DVD and booted like I was going to install OSX. I UNselect everthing, then selected the NVDarwin 512MB driver.

After reboot and press F8 to bring up the darwin command line.

Type -v -f at the prompt.

WOOT working 9800 GX2

Ok, I got the OSX 10.5.6 Retail DVD install and I can boot. The Graphic card is another story.

Geforce 9800 GX2 ( seen many posts on getting to work on Nvidia chipset )

Time to rock the Intel world and get this working on X58

I have Ideneb install on one drv and the graphic works great.

I have OSX 10.5.7 Retail install on the other.

I used the NVdarwin 512 option during install.

I cannot get the graphic to work other then basic 1024x768 on the OSX retail DVD install and it does recognize my card correctly.

The question is can i used kexts and files from the ideneb install so they work on the OSX retail install?

If so what file(s) do i need?

What commands do i need to run?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

PS I upgraded to 10.5.8 and system still boots but graphic are the same.

I have no problem reinstalling if needed. This is my 6 install of OSX retail DVD trying to get things working.

Have you attempted to use a GFX string. if not I would try that 1st.

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=569

See if that helps

Ok I'm getting ready to try this for the first time, but before I begin I have some questions. Lord knows I don't want to get halfway through this and find out that I can't continue because something isn't compatible.

I guess my first question before I even start is: Can I Install Leopard On This PC?

Processor: Intel Core i7

Memory: 6GB (Corsair)

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE

Video Card: EVGA Geforce 260

Sound: Integrated into motherboard

Storage: 2 500GB hard drives

Assuming the answer is yes, my second question is about the hard drive requirement. As you can see I only have two drives, one I want to keep for Windows XP, but the other one I'm willing to sacrifice for OS X. The problem is that if I read the guide correctly, I need yet another drive to do this installation. Is there a way around this? I have access to a 4GB Flash Drive and an old Powerbook G4 laptop running 10.5.7. I don't see how I can make use of the laptop, but would the 4GB flash drive work?

My third question is around the dual booting option. Is it true that I need to install XP on a hard drive that is already set to AHCI rather than SATA from the start and that switching it over after the fact won't work?

My fourth and file question is around stability. How stable is 10.5.7 when running on a PC? Am I going to have to live in fear of every Apple update breaking my computer or does it behave just like a normal Mac?

Tempest

I guess my first question before I even start is: Can I Install Leopard On This PC?

I'm not sure about the X58 LE - perhaps someone else has experience? I would imagine most of the hardware is the same and thus it should work. The Geforce 260 is going to require a little bit of work outside this guide but there are plenty of other guides on the issue

I don't see how I can make use of the laptop, but would the 4GB flash drive work?

Your best option is to use an external enclosure if you have one, pull the drive from your computer and do the install from your powermac. If that doesn't work then wipe both drives, do the install, then clear the first one and put XP back on it.

My third question is around the dual booting option. Is it true that I need to install XP on a hard drive that is already set to AHCI rather than SATA from the start and that switching it over after the fact won't work?

AHCI is part of the SATA spec. If you install XP and then switch to AHCI it can cause a lot of stability problems. I'm pretty sure you can select it on a drive by drive or controller by controller basis though. So leave XP as normal and make sure the OS X drive is on AHCI.

My fourth and file question is around stability. How stable is 10.5.7 when running on a PC? Am I going to have to live in fear of every Apple update breaking my computer or does it behave just like a normal Mac?

I turned updates off as 10.5.8 broke sound compatibility. In terms of stability though if you stick with 10.5.7 it runs very well. I haven't had a problem yet.

You could skip to snow leopard but there aren't really any good step by step guides for the evga yet. For you it's probably better to do leopard now using this (amazing btw) guide or wait until there is more info on snow leopard.

A 4gb usb drive is not large enough. My only other recommendation is to hook your sata drive directly to another mac or hackintosh with an ESATA port.

yesterday i`ve tried snow leo install from usb stick without success. install usb stick boots without kernel panic but when the installation screen should appear my lcd loses the signal. i`ve tried all solutions i found and got some help in irc.osx86.hu but all what i did doesn`t change this problem.

i think usb stick install method doesn`t work for this board. if somebody got it working with usb install methode, so let me know the important steps for this board, please.

my hardware (need to update signature, will do this after successfull snow installation):

evga x58 sli

core i7 920 D0 (@200*18;3,6GHz)

corsair dominator 3x2GB kit 1600MHz 8-8-8-24

gtx285 (on 1st pci-e nearest the cpu)

today after work i will try ideneb 1.6 and if it boots i will do the snow installation from there. otherwise will try kalyway, couse this has been reported to work.

when i install snow from leo i have to uncheck printer drivers so the installation would not fail, is that right?

Well thru many hours of reading, I would say atleast 60 hrs, I have a working system mostly. The sound is working and I follow the guide to get 5.1 working. I have the white noise test coming from all the right speaker. I tested the system with Itunes. The master volume is all the way up but the sound is low and I cannot adjust the volume up or down. Also in the Midi app where you setup the channels there is a sound adjustment but I cannot adjust those either.

After play a DVD movie I find the 5.1 is not working and after a short time the sound was out of sync. This is not a copy of a movie.

Any ideas anyone and Alan did you test you sound in 5.1? Does you volume work? Not the volume in an app but the master volume.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I forgot to report you back about my snow installation. Finally, the snow installation went to perfecly...!

I mixed your guide and JaE-V's ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182648 ) and digital dreamer's new snow edition. Thanks to you guys!!

If I may put it down, my installation went onto like this.

Basically, I prepared with DD's installer package and JaE-V's kexts & DSDT patch folder. Guess you can download two folders. Preapre the snow dmg and mount it.

The installation was Lepard System HDD to Snow Leopard HDD (with a single partition).

1. Activate Run-Patch_Installer of the DD's X58 mobo patch installer.

2. Choose the snow target HDD and Extra folder install mode.

3. From Run-Patch_Installer, first, run the partition active for the target hdd.

4. I used Chameleon 2.0 RC3. If you don't know how to get it, just use the chameleon from JaE-V's folder. Install it to the target snow HDD.

5. In the JaE-V's folder, activate the chameleon V2 snow leopard support to the target snow HDD.

6. Back to DD's Run-Patch_Installer, hit no. 4, automatically the snow retail starts installing. Follow the process. I didn't choose "the printer driver option" to avoid the install fail. You can install later downloaded from Apple Support.

7. After the snow installation done, do not reboot. Check the folder from JaE-V's.

8. In that folder, copy all the kexts from Extensions folder.

9. Open Snow HDD and look for the Extra folder there. Open it and open Extenstions folder, erase everything there and paste what you just copied from.

10. Back to JaE-V's folder and copy DSDT.aml file.

11. Paste it in two areas of the snow HDD. one is for root of snow and one goes to inside of EXTRA folder.

12. Now, depending on your graphic card, you will have to find a way to install the driver.

13. I had 3870/4850, but both didn't work very much except safe mode.

14. So, I changed to 9800GT.

15. All I did was to give EFI string into com.apple.boot.plist from JaE-V's folder.

16. Just created <key>device_properties<key>

<strings>xxxx<strings> xxxx was my EFI string!!

19. I guess anybody has Nvidia cards will be pretty much ok with snow installation.

20. Later, I also modified smbios.plist from JaE-V's folder and put it back to my snow hdd's Extra folder.

Now, it's time for reboot with the installed target snow hdd.

21. During initial booting, I gave "-v, -x, -x32" for 32 bit mode and safety mode.

22. Once your booting is OK, then you need to activate "kextutility" program from JaE-V's folder.

23. That's it.

Enjoy snow!!

I have almost no problem at all except "wake up" from deep sleep.

I haven't find out how to fix this but I just marked my hdd "never stop" in System Preferences.

Good Luck and Thanks to Ihaveredcouch, JaE-V, Digital Dreamer and also Junno, niky from x86osx.com.

Hi I have a predicament concerning getting a proper install done for my EVGA x58 board. First things first, this is my setup:

EVGA E760 Classified x58 Motherboard

Core i7 920

3x2 GB OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600

1TB WD Caviar Black HDD

BFG NVIDIA GTX260

First of all I realize that I have only one hard drive, a 500GB caviar black is on its way, but until then I am attempting to create a usb bootable installer based of my previous method found here. In a nutshell I am attempting to have a flash drive formatted as GUID with the EFI partition holding all relevant information to boot including the Chameleon boot loader (RC3), kexts, and plists. The main partition has a restored disk image of and OS X install disk (currently using Leopard 10.5.4 I bought from school, but will transition to 10.6 soon). I also have the small remainer of my 16GB drive formated with any relevant tools I may need during an install (Chameleon, kexts, gptsync, etc) so that I can have an immediatly bootable system after installing OS X.

Unfortunately I cannot get my EVGA system to boot the OS X install image, it will boot Chameleon and I can boot my Windows and Linux systems that are already on my 1 TB but when I attempt to boot the OS X install DVD from the flash drive, it begins loading all the kexts but then before it has a chance to even get the Apple screen, I lose my signal to the monitor and then get a hard restart. I do not know why. I attempted to follow this guide to the T using an external USB HDD but the EVGA x58 will not recognize it as a bootable device.

I do have a vanilla install of 10.5.4 on my Dell Vostro to work with BTW.

My EFI partition on the USB stick goes as follows:

ROOT: boot, Extra

Extra: com.apple.boot.plist, dsdt.aml, Extensions, smbios.plist, Themes

Extensions: Everything from the kext file in this thread, using ATY_init.kext and NVKush.kext for graphics.

At first I though it was because I didn't have a dsdt.aml file (the dsdt patcher said I should only run it on the system I was going to use, so I am using the dsdt file from Jav-E's thread from Snow Leopard on EVGA x58). I also made sure that my model was MacPro2,1 and my busratio is set to 20.

I am utterly confused on this issue, but I am unable to diagnose the problem given the restart issue. Anyone have any ideas? Would it be better to swap to my Snow Leopard disc image rather than the Leopard? I've heard its optimized for LGA1366. Help me with any thing you got, please!