ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4570

speaker219

94 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
anyone !?

Whit Dong's kext you can watch movies with an old version of VLC or with Mplayer, but it'll use a lot the CPU, you'll need a very powerful CPU to play movies or it'll play slowly and the temperature of your CPU'll be high.

I have this card in my sony VAIO VPCEB1E8E/WI are there drivers for this card?

I have installation ideneb 10.5.6 in my sony computer but this card doesn't work perfect...and sound not work...

How can i make for driver to the video card?

• 1 month later...
Feast your eyes upon this.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f180/74166.htm

Supposedly someone found a DSDT for the 4570. i dont know if it is mobility or not, but someone who knows how DSDT's work should check this out and see if we can use this to make the 4570 a future success.

*Bump.

So, guys, i'm just a simple hackintosher, and i've got a toshiba A505 laptop with ATI mobility hd 4500 series (probably 4570?)

Anyone know if we can get Dong onto this or something?

ok. that still gives me a problem, because i delete atiradeonx2000.kext using macdrive 8 and i still can't get my operating system to start. the gray circle under the apple logo never appears.

anyone know how to make ideneb 1.6 lite edition (or better yet, retail Snow Leopard) work with a mob radeon 4570? I know of a driver that supports native resolution, but not QE/CI.

Try to start with -x.

I try leopard (iATKOS v7) and snow leopard (hazard) but I haven't find how to change resolution.

My pc with snow leopard without QE and CI is faster than windows 7.

Sorry for my bad english.

• 4 weeks later...
Any help on getting QE to work on the ati 4500hd series so programs like imovie and final cut can be used? I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.5... any ideas out there. I have searched and I could not locate anything?

Ilife6 : Iphoto 6 and IMovie 6 , including the "HD" version works with Software GL like RadeonHD.kext fine as long as your CPU is fast enough. I would not believe at first, but all effects, including the Quartz Composer FX effects do absolutely work without any QE/CI. Imovie 4 and 5 of course also work, but due to them being Powerpc apps running via Rosetta they are notable slower. Imovie 3 is too old for Leopard, its incompatible with the Quicktime version and crashes.

In SL you might need to install "Quicktime Player 7.6.6 for OSX 10.6.3" , this is an optional download for SL users who need older QT. See Apples download site. It will not replace QT X which is in SL, instead the 7.6.6 one goes into the Utilities folder and can be launched side by side with QT X. ( for that matter : QT X uses software GL . QT7 goes fine without and is faster for watching / converting imovies )

Concerning Hopes for QE on mobility ati hd :

I am doctoring now since weeks with kexts and plists, different OSX versions and I have to say it is hopeless to wait for QE/CI on my 4650 or any 4xxx mobility card. In Snow Leopard 10.6.0 it uses the Motmot Framebuffer, in 10.6.2 the Peregrine. But no matter which : as soon as AtiRadeonX2000.kext gets loaded my display goes mad and shows a) white screen :( garbage c) flickers and shows green,blue,black,grey and then OSX hangs itself. I can boot in safe mode or with all ATIRadeonX2***.* removed.

In Leopard the same is true. The card can not show a picture on the internal LCD. The kexts are made for imacs ( 9,1 and 10,1 models ) that use Ati 4xxx mobility cards but obviously iMacs dont use Laptop LCD technics to show the display.

RadeonHD.kext is the only solution for Laptop Users .

Tragically SL depends heavy on QE/CI. 10.5.8 might be a better option , just saying it works better with RadeonHD.kext .

*Bump.

So, guys, i'm just a simple hackintosher, and i've got a toshiba A505 laptop with ATI mobility hd 4500 series (probably 4570?)

Anyone know if we can get Dong onto this or something?

Its just a decompiled ACPI table of a random Intel Cantiga Laptop Mainboard with a HD4xx mobility card in the pciex slot ( my Toshiba has the same dsdt table by the way ). No magic there. Its a file that tells the OS where all the devices are on the mainboard and how to adress them with drivers. Because OSX uses EFI, it all depends on your bootloader that parses the file and "tells" OSX what to do .. Windows and Linuy read it directly from BIOS which makes them more hardware near and thus more reliable in reading the Tables right.

The maker of RadeonHD.kext will have seen such a dsl file long ago :-)

Dongs work is to put the work of RadeonHD Linux into a OSX compatible wrapper and he has done very good so far. On Linux the original driver Radeon and RadeonHD has 3D and powerplay functions, at least basic ones . But compiz/3d effects in Linux do not require the same amount of what Vista needs for Aero or OSX for QE/CI ( vista/ 7 and osx graphic requirements are similar in requiring a working shader 2.0 as minimum for all the eyecandy to work )

Ilife6 : Iphoto 6 and IMovie 6 , including the "HD" version works with Software GL like RadeonHD.kext fine as long as your CPU is fast enough. I would not believe at first, but all effects, including the Quartz Composer FX effects do absolutely work without any QE/CI. Imovie 4 and 5 of course also work, but due to them being Powerpc apps running via Rosetta they are notable slower. Imovie 3 is too old for Leopard, its incompatible with the Quicktime version and crashes.

In SL you might need to install "Quicktime Player 7.6.6 for OSX 10.6.3" , this is an optional download for SL users who need older QT. See Apples download site. It will not replace QT X which is in SL, instead the 7.6.6 one goes into the Utilities folder and can be launched side by side with QT X. ( for that matter : QT X uses software GL . QT7 goes fine without and is faster for watching / converting imovies )

Concerning Hopes for QE on mobility ati hd :

I am doctoring now since weeks with kexts and plists, different OSX versions and I have to say it is hopeless to wait for QE/CI on my 4650 or any 4xxx mobility card. In Snow Leopard 10.6.0 it uses the Motmot Framebuffer, in 10.6.2 the Peregrine. But no matter which : as soon as AtiRadeonX2000.kext gets loaded my display goes mad and shows a) white screen :) garbage c) flickers and shows green,blue,black,grey and then OSX hangs itself. I can boot in safe mode or with all ATIRadeonX2***.* removed.

In Leopard the same is true. The card can not show a picture on the internal LCD. The kexts are made for imacs ( 9,1 and 10,1 models ) that use Ati 4xxx mobility cards but obviously iMacs dont use Laptop LCD technics to show the display.

RadeonHD.kext is the only solution for Laptop Users .

Tragically SL depends heavy on QE/CI. 10.5.8 might be a better option , just saying it works better with RadeonHD.kext .

Its just a decompiled ACPI table of a random Intel Cantiga Laptop Mainboard with a HD4xx mobility card in the pciex slot ( my Toshiba has the same dsdt table by the way ). No magic there. Its a file that tells the OS where all the devices are on the mainboard and how to adress them with drivers. Because OSX uses EFI, it all depends on your bootloader that parses the file and "tells" OSX what to do .. Windows and Linuy read it directly from BIOS which makes them more hardware near and thus more reliable in reading the Tables right.

The maker of RadeonHD.kext will have seen such a dsl file long ago :-)

Dongs work is to put the work of RadeonHD Linux into a OSX compatible wrapper and he has done very good so far. On Linux the original driver Radeon and RadeonHD has 3D and powerplay functions, at least basic ones . But compiz/3d effects in Linux do not require the same amount of what Vista needs for Aero or OSX for QE/CI ( vista/ 7 and osx graphic requirements are similar in requiring a working shader 2.0 as minimum for all the eyecandy to work )

Sooooo.........basically what you're saying is, we're never going to have mobility HD 4xxx support?

Sooooo.........basically what you're saying is, we're never going to have mobility HD 4xxx support?

We have full 2d and resolution support. Things could be worse :-)

We dont have QE/CI and thats only because we have no Laptop compatible framebuffer in ATINDRV. For the Desktop it seems to work as far as I have read here and elsewhere.

The thing is not a 3d capable kext -- it is already there in OSX . It is the missing Laptop framebuffer :

We need someone that writes

option I

a X2000.kext compatible replacement for ATINDRV/ATIRNDRV.kext's framebuffers; I doubt that without AMD/ATI help this is realistic. Who knows how to trigger X2000 to load itself and all its plugins on a non-Ati framebuffer ?

option II

port the radeon drivers from Linux further, so that 3D function is present in OSX. This is problematic, because Apple uses only vendor developed "ready" drivers for their cards, Intel,Nvidia and Ati. All of these companies are no nice open source players and Apple has only Darwin made OSS, not the OSX part of it, so nobody exactly know where a 3rd party gpu kext has to "plug in" in Apples "X Server" . In Linux this is well known, the Xorg-Xserver has been designed for all sort of modules that can plug into it. How exactly the UI system ( the 3d part ) of Apple is working is closed code and I fear that only these vendors ( ATi,Nvidia and Intel ) have the full sources at hand.

Also RadeonHD development on Linux has come to some sort of an halt, because of the Kernel modeline Settings that is done to Linux kernel development ( basically it means full resolution out of the box without any drivers ). More and more drivers are becoming obsolote. Novell was the company behind RadeonHD but their distro Suse now uses Radeon ( the older ) again.So its all very unclear and a bit chaotic.

Frankly to say that all free radeon drivers are not that important on Linux : Ati has very good proprietary drivers for the HD4xx mobility series . They deliver good performance for game,video and those eyecandy effects in Linux - only open Source fanatics use the free drivers, but not the average Linux home user.

Also the OSS driver Radeon or RadeonHD ( they are two different , Radeon covers older cards too) from Linux are both not that stable. When I am in Linux I use Ati Catalyst official drivers which give me opengl 3.0 and silent fans thanks to Powerplay options. I can play Quake IV in full resolution with high details and shadows on. The Radeon free driver has a lot of issues and is unstable. I never could run a game like Doom/Quake with that one . How more unstable it would be on a totally unsupported platform like OSX ?

BTW : Not only OSX is an OS with these limitation for Ati mobility 4xxx Users. Solaris/Opensolaris has also no drivers, it uses "VGAtext" - and OS/2 ecomstations newest release has a "universal framebuffer" called Panorma. Without going into detail I can say that :

Use Windows or Linux for the Catalyst official drivers.At least these two platforms are 100% supported.

Use Ati HD4xxxx cards only in Towers/Desktops for OSX.

Any other OS is just experimental and currently limited to 2D only . The thing with OSX is : we have a accelerator kext. But we can't use it on Laptops yet ( until someone makes it useable which is hard nearly impossible work and needs a very good dev if not a whole team ).

Screenshot : ATI 4650 mobility driver FPS benchmark under Linux .

post-156995-1282761181_thumb.png

We have full 2d and resolution support. Things could be worse :-)

We dont have QE/CI and thats only because we have no Laptop compatible framebuffer in ATINDRV. For the Desktop it seems to work as far as I have read here and elsewhere.

The thing is not a 3d capable kext -- it is already there in OSX . It is the missing Laptop framebuffer :

We need someone that writes

option I

a X2000.kext compatible replacement for ATINDRV/ATIRNDRV.kext's framebuffers; I doubt that without AMD/ATI help this is realistic. Who knows how to trigger X2000 to load itself and all its plugins on a non-Ati framebuffer ?

option II

port the radeon drivers from Linux further, so that 3D function is present in OSX. This is problematic, because Apple uses only vendor developed "ready" drivers for their cards, Intel,Nvidia and Ati. All of these companies are no nice open source players and Apple has only Darwin made OSS, not the OSX part of it, so nobody exactly know where a 3rd party gpu kext has to "plug in" in Apples "X Server" . In Linux this is well known, the Xorg-Xserver has been designed for all sort of modules that can plug into it. How exactly the UI system ( the 3d part ) of Apple is working is closed code and I fear that only these vendors ( ATi,Nvidia and Intel ) have the full sources at hand.

Also the OSS driver Radeon or RadeonHD ( they are two different ) from Linux is not that stable. When I am in Linux I use Ati Catalyst official drivers which give me opengl 3.0 and silent fans thanks to Powerplay options. The Radeon free driver has a lot of issues and is unstable. How more unstable it would be on a totally unsupported platform like OSX ?

BTW : Not only OSX is an OS with these limitation for Ati mobility 4xxx Users. Solaris/Opensolaris has also no drivers, it uses "VGAtext" - and OS/2 ecomstations newest release has a "universal framebuffer" called Panorma. Without going into detail I can say that :

Use Windows or Linux for the Catalyst official drivers. Use Ati HD cards only in Towers/Desktops for OSX. Any other OS is just experimental and currently limited to 2D only . The thing with OSX is : we have a accelerator kext. But we can't use it on Laptops yet ( until someone makes it useable which is hard nearly impossible work and needs a very good dev if not a whole team ).

thanks for your in-depth explanation, smartie77!

• 2 weeks later...
Feast your eyes upon this.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f180/74166.htm

Supposedly someone found a DSDT for the 4570. i dont know if it is mobility or not, but someone who knows how DSDT's work should check this out and see if we can use this to make the 4570 a future success.

This is a linux DSDT table, it doesn't work on osx and it isn't for ati4570, it's for problems with a laptop only on linux.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys, I have a Dell Studio 1555 (With ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 Graphics Card, id:0x9553) laptop and trying to make my external monitor (HDMI) work. I tried some kext files but I always had a black screen with white lines at the end. Everything else works good except the HDMI port. Anyone has the right kext files for this card?

I have OSX 10.6.6 installed. Thanks