[GUIDE] (10.5.x) Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Retail Tutorial

CaptainNemo

225 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Thx from france ! it's very easy with your guide ^^

Do you want to do the next guide for OSX 10.6 ? Full install / Upgrade from existing OSX installation ?

:(

Morning,

well, I would LOVE to write some instructions for Snow Leopard, but it seems as it's currently not so easy to create a "Boot-132" CD for it, and installing from one HDD to another is not "smooth" enough to write a tutorial in my mind. Also, there are some tutorials out there already :)

Ciao

Nemo

Firstly, thanks for the install guide, it's been working well up to a point, however, I've reached an issue.

At the start of step 10, having installed the NVkush drivers, the computer hangs on reboot, with the gray Apple on a light gray background, with spinning circle underneath, which has ceased spinning.

Truth be told, I'm contemplating starting the process again, but skipping that step, as I understand that those are graphics drivers, and I hadn't noticed any graphics issues for the drivers to compensate for. However, I am not an expert on the matter, so I thought I'd ask.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P

Intel Q6700 Quad

4 x 1 GB DDR2 1066 Kingston

Maxtor 320 GB

GeForce 8600 GT

Ok - no needs to worry at this time.

Could you please boot with the option "-v" and paste the last few messages (or attach a photo?).

Anyway - you could boot with the option with the "-s" parameter and join the Single User mode. Log on as shown "mount -uw /" as far as I remember and do this:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf NVkush.kext

When you've done this, type "reboot" and you should be able to log in again.

If NVkush does not work for you, search for OSx86 Tools and use this tool to implement the graphics card EFI string into the com.apple.Boot.plist.

Good luck!

Ciao

Nemo

PS. You SHOULD install the drivers as you WANT to use QuarztExtreme :(

OK, this may be a little excessive, but the screen at the point where it stalls reads as follows:

mbinit: done
Security auditing service present
BSM auditing present
Extension "com.aple.driver .AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only on style.
From path: "uuid",
Waiting for boot volume with UUID 03EE80F1-EB09-3D7D-BE98-9E3380FB58A3
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key> IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1"> IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI now active, GUID 00c6b63e00001a4d; max speed s400.
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCIo@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE1@1F,2/AppleAHCI/SECD@1/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDisk
Driver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/Maxtor 7L300S0 Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Untitled@2
BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2
jnl: unknown-dev: replay_journal: from: 23104512 to: 3726336 (offset 0x8bc000)
Extension "com.apple.driver .i TunesPhoneDriver" has no specific kernel dependency; using version 6.0.
jnl: unknown-dev: journal replay done.
HFS: Removed 1 orphaned unlinked files or directories
Jettisoning kernel linker.
Resetting IOCatalogue.
display: family specific matching fails
Matching service count = 1
Matching service count = 2
ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATETABLE) returned 0x68bec40
NDANV50HAL loaded and registered.
------------------------------
NVKush: By DiaboliK
NVKush: GeForce 8600 GT Detected
NVkush: a DiaboliK Joint
------------------------------
AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 00:1a:4d:4f:3b:a3
Sep 16 08:26:47 localhost DirectoryService[45]: Launched version 5.0 (v514)
Sep 16 08:26:47 localhost DirectoryService[45]: WARNING - dsTouch: files was asked to be opened </Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/ .DSIsRunning>: (file exists)
Sep 16 08:26:47 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[37]: Login Window Application Started
Sep 16 08:26:47 localhost Directory Service[45]: WARNING - dsTouch: files was asked to be opened </var/run/ .DSRunningSP1>: (file exists)
Sep 16 08:26:47 localhost configd[47]: InterfacNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID
Sep 16 08:26:48 localhost mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-161 . 1 (Oct 11 2007 00:22:24)[36]: starting
Sep 16 08:26:48 localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[70]: starting

OK, so I removed the NVkush.kext as shown, and then used the EFIStudio to add the appropriate EFI string to to the com.apple.Boot.plist. Unfortunately, that led to the same problem as the NVkush.kext. Upon reboot, the grey screen returned, and upon verbose reboot it stalls at the same point. Looks more or less the same as the code I posted above, minus the bit about NVkush.

Any ideas?

Hmm honestly, no.

Can't be a BIOS setting, because you are able to boot into the OSX without it.

Have you installed the Updates before you've installed the drivers?

Not using OSx86 Tools but EFI Studio should end in the same as as far as I know, EFIStudio is a part of OSx86 Tools, but OSx86 Tools has a lot more drivers. I would give that a try, but I would lie if I would say that this sounds normal :unsure:

No, I haven't installed any Apple Updates. In fact, the computer doesn't have an internet connection yet. My roof started leaking, so I moved the computer downstairs to work on.

As far as trying the OSx86 Tools goes, I'm not sure how to boot into the OS again.

Hi captain Nemo,

I see that you have snow leo up and running according to your signature was getting up and running a a hassle? I was also up on the forums trying to find a good boot132 method. I hope that you had some success because using the boot132 method HOSED my system to the point it corrupted my bios and i had to take a screw driver to short out the pins to get to my backup bios. Go figure ;) . Any way i look forward to your next guide. :D

Hi Tessa,

you're right ;) It works very well on my ASUS board. As I also couldn't find a working boot-132 ISO (and I wasted 5 CD-R's while testing) I saw that video from osx86tutorials on YouTube and was amazed. I thought "it will never work on my PC", but I would be not a good Geek without testing, right? So I gave this a try and: for my surprise Snow Leopard works in some parts way better (and or course MUCH faster) than Leopard.

I've collected everything and put it into one tutorial you can find here. Maybe I'll remove the Gigabyte board from my server and replace it with another one as I currently don't need VMs on the server, so I will try to install it on that, too :-)

I was never a fan of HDD2HDD installs, but the good thing really is, that you still have a working system on your machine if the new installation fails ;) - Also, it was a pretty fast installation. I would say I was able to use SL after around about 30mins. Not bad for a first time installation in my mind.

Just the graphic cards issue SUCKS. Really. Having no working NVkush is bad, and also OSx86 Tools won't work, so you need to create the HEX codes for you com.apple.Boot.plist using your Leopard installation (see? Now you're happy that you still have it ;)). On the other hand, it seems like most nVidia 9x00 cards were detected automatically by SL. As I don't have one of those; I can't test.

Tutorial for ASUS P5Q Deluxe is here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1278700

Ciao

Nemo

Well there it is Asus boards seem to work well with the Snow Leo as they do not seem to have that crazy cmos bug. But seeing you up and running does give me some encouragement to try agian. I have read some success stories with boot132 but have not tried it since it hosed my system but after my class is over with i am going to give it another go round using your guide.

By the way nice guide(for snow Leo).

Thanks Again

Tessa :thumbsup_anim:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide. :)

When the ISOLINUX cd boot i got the following error "Isolinux 3.63 2008-04-10 isolinux : Image checksum error, sorry..

Boot failed: press a key to retry".

I have tried to unzip the .zip with winrar and 7 zip and burn it twice to CD. But the same error on boot.

I search at this thread but cant find anything similar.

These are the contects of burned Isolinux Boot CD.

contentsy.th.jpg

Hi again,

as I mentioned before, I have a few troubles booting...

When I come to the step to enter the boot-device I can choose my 60 gig HFS+ SATA partition, he tells me that some plist file is missing...

I will redo it in a few minutes and give you a picture, first want to complete this post :) .

I also renewed my complete Windows to swich to AHCI.

Another thing I noticed:

When I load the Iso Linux, he makes all those spots, but then he goes directly the the screen you posted below, so there is no "BOOT" at all.

I tried to install an iDeneb some month ago, is there maybe somthing preloaded that I dont want to be there?

btw: the same problem occurred during my "experiments" with SL as seen before, he couldnt find a plist either.

I hope you can help me out of this,

Maltram

Edit: here are the pics, the second one is screwed, but it shows the name only for about 1 sec...

Its "System config file '/com.apple.boot.S/library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot/plist' not found"

Well this is the next "problem" after that one 2 post above.

I have exactly what maltram said and showed by his screenshots. (the first one).

On my screen i can see "boot : " like the first screenshot and waiting for something but cant type anything.

Of cource i have put OS X DVD Retail inside.

Can someone help me?

EDIT : Problem solved with different BIOS settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

First: i really love your easy written guide, hard to find something similar these days.

But i got a problem using your P35.iso boot cd. After inserting the Apple OSX DVD and pressing enter twice, the screen turns just black. Any Suggestions what to do?

My hardware:

Intel E6300

Gigabyte P35-DS3

3GB

SATA Drive at port 0

SATA harddrive at port 1

EDIT: ATI 4850

• 2 weeks later...

@p32r: Hmm have you reviewed your BIOS settings? For me it sounds like an issue with the BIOS. Maybe rewrite the ISO to another CD(-RW). Which board do you have (details)?

@Hikki: No! The IDE jmicron device could create Kernel Panics! Why is it soooo hard to spend 20$ for a SATA DVD drive? Don't get.. really! And this was discussed a hundred times only in this thread.

So for the others, asking me via PM how to get Snow Leopard to work on the GA-P35-DS3, I've just replied to a user via PM and thought it's maybe handy for the others here. Please note that it's a collection of a few tips and NOT a tutorial, because I can't access this computer anymore as my wife would be very unhappy when I would damage her loved Win 7 :P

Here we go:

So coming to your question. Yes - there is a more hard way to install Snow Leopard on the GA-P35-DS3, I did it and it took me some time to get it run. You'll need at least 2 HDDs.

First, you need to install your Leopard as usual. Then grab your Snow Leopard DVD and follow the steps from this video:

Once you've done that you SHOULD be able to boot into Snow Leopard. Be sure to use the kernel-flag option:

<string>kernel-flags</string>

<key>arch=i386</key>

It will boot in 32bit mode, but that's ok. Every normal Mac except the Mac Pro also boots in 32bits. It is important to use 32bits to get the old kext's to work. When you've found those kexts for 64bits, you can remove this from the com.apple.boot.plist.

Hope this helps.

It's a few weeks ago I've installed Snow Leopard to the GA-P35-DS3, because it's my wifes PC now while I work with my P5Q Deluxe from ASUS and Snow Leopard here. I just remember I had some issues with the boot, so be sure to NOT forget to install the Chameleon 2 RC3 INSTALLER (!!!) (unlike the video, you'll found it here at the board) on the RIGHT NEW Snow Leopard HDD <_<

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Tried today to install osx on my ga-p35-ds3. I get to the apple logo and it loads for about 1 minute, then when the select language window is supposed to appear, my screen goes all weird with black/white squares/stripes/distortion. Tried searching but couldn't find anything...

Does this has something to do with my hd3870?

Thank you

edit: does it matter if you use a 10.5.6/7 retail disc?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

i have some problem please help.

i installed mac os x 10.5.7 to my ds3 (not r,l....)

and everything run more 2x faster than normal, 1min youtube video played in 20sec ... and its in iTunes too :(

and whats color the audio output? the green yes?

thanks for replys have a nice day

• 1 month later...

Great tutorial and thanks to CaptainNemo.

I followed your guide and succeeded in installing the retail Leopard on my GA-P35-DS3. I was lucky that my friend sold me his unwanted motherboard with CPU (E6750) for $100 dollars a while back. The installation went smoothly as guided, but I now have an issue that hoping you can provide some advices. My video card is Nvidia 7800GS if it is the cause of the problem. This box is not so stable sometimes when I play online flash game or watch videos (mpeg). It hangs from time to time but after a hard reset it will be ok. It freezes randomly, and there is no particular way to duplicate this problem.

I hope that my video card is not the cause of the issue and my mobo is GA-P35-DS3 with an E6750 CPU.

Any suggestion or tip is appreciated.

• 10 months later...

Hey there. I know this thread is a bit older, but i've found no information no matter where i looked....

i tried to install osx following this guide, after some trouble with IDE-DVD i went out and bought a SATA drive.

Now i can load the P35-CD, the Leopard disc is recognized correctly. but after the "if you want to start from cd" prompt, i just get a black screen and after a second my hdd-led starts to light up and nothing moves anymore. i've tried to restore the dvd on a spare sata-hdd, same effect. i preinstalled osx on the hdd via another real mc....same thing again!

after days of digging i think it could be my graphics card, but i should at least see the installer, right?

my hardware:

c2d 6750

P35-DS3

4GB ram

ATI 4650 ( i know ati is not supported well, but i wanted to at least try before i buy another card)

1 TB HDD (sata on port 1(orange))

Samsung DVD (SATA on port 2 (orange))

usb keyboard/mouse

osx: snow leopard (first thing i had lying around, could that be the problem?)

BIOS settings as seen in guide's screenshots

would be very happy if one of you could help me, since i haven't found the same configuration on the net i have no idea what to do....

thanks, Ivan