ATI Radeon HD4350 PCIe

KTL

243 posts in this topic

@ANARCHiNTOSH

You my friend have made my day with the response and info. :)

I shall attempt your suggestions and report back with success et cetera.

Once again, thank-you for your time so far. :wacko:

*Will report back with or without success*

The Wheels on the Bus go round and round:

Guys, is it normal that after following this guide and restarting - the Apple Logo (gray) screen is displaying with a spinning disk (just below the Logo)? I typed this post out (on a different computer notably) while I am waiting patiently for this Apple Logo screen (gray) and spinning disk (just below the Apple Logo) to disappear. So far it has been 10 minutes.

Question time:

1) Is there some kind of repairing taking place?

2) How long will this go for? 30, 40, 60 minutes?

3) After how long is it safe to say I did another failed attempt installing OSX?

When will I know for sure I have epic failed? :P

P.s. I am seriously lmao at this. This is by far the most tedious learning in such a short period of time I had ever done. More so than Uni. Gosh, I have hardly slept these last three days (Starting from the weekend). :D At least I am having fun trying to troubleshoot this. :)

/Added after original post

Ugh, I should also state before I actually did a restart I deleted the old mach_kernal and replaced it with the 10.3.1 Vanilla Kernel. I hope this was not the cause. :P *Secretly thinks it is*

That reminds me; can I use the 10.3.1 Vanilla Kernel with this guide?

Cheers guys.

I guys !

This topic is about HD 4350 on SNOW...I just would like to know how i can get this card working on 10.5.6 (ideneb)...I've found no topic about HD 4350 on Leopard 10.5.x (unfortunately...)

Please help

(excuse me, my english is not so good...)

I guys !

This topic is about HD 4350 on SNOW...I just would like to know how i can get this card working on 10.5.6 (ideneb)...I've found no topic about HD 4350 on Leopard 10.5.x (unfortunately...)

Please help

(excuse me, my english is not so good...)

Sadly, you cannot use the card in anything under Snow Leopard. I had the same dilemna once, then I decided to just go for the upgrade to Snow. It was TOTALLY worth. it.

Anarchintosh: I tried updating to 10.6.3, but all I got was corrupted graphics on boot. I just restored back, I guess i'll just have to live with a non-working visualizer for a while.

The Wheels on the Bus go round and round:

Guys, is it normal that after following this guide and restarting - the Apple Logo (gray) screen is displaying with a spinning disk (just below the Logo)? I typed this post out (on a different computer notably) while I am waiting patiently for this Apple Logo screen (gray) and spinning disk (just below the Apple Logo) to disappear. So far it has been 10 minutes.

Question time:

1) Is there some kind of repairing taking place?

2) How long will this go for? 30, 40, 60 minutes?

3) After how long is it safe to say I did another failed attempt installing OSX?

When will I know for sure I have epic failed? :P

P.s. I am seriously lmao at this. This is by far the most tedious learning in such a short period of time I had ever done. More so than Uni. Gosh, I have hardly slept these last three days (Starting from the weekend). :D At least I am having fun trying to troubleshoot this. :)

/Added after original post

Ugh, I should also state before I actually did a restart I deleted the old mach_kernal and replaced it with the 10.3.1 Vanilla Kernel. I hope this was not the cause. :D *Secretly thinks it is*

That reminds me; can I use the 10.3.1 Vanilla Kernel with this guide?

Cheers guys.

vanilla kernel should work with any hack. its just modded kernels that sometimes wont work with things.

er, i actually dont know why its not working for you. probably best to try a re-install and dont touch the kernel or anything. im actually using the 10.3.0 vanilla kernel, maybe 10.3.1 kernel is from snow leopard 10.6.4 beta and is giving issues...... i dont know.

Anarchintosh: I tried updating to 10.6.3, but all I got was corrupted graphics on boot. I just restored back, I guess i'll just have to live with a non-working visualizer for a while.

aw, that sucks ;) . i remember i had some awful problem updating 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 ...... id get graphics corruption. when i booted verbose, it told me i was getting a panic in the X2000 kext.

it turned out that something happened to my kexts (update didnt replace the old ati kexts because i had modified them, pretty weird and unexpected). i manually replaced them with 10.6.3 kexts and it worked!

maybe try updating to 10.6.3 and also manually replace all the ATI kexts in S/L/E with those found in the 10.6.3 update disk image (its on apples website). you can use Pacifist to open the .dmg and get the kexts. just an idea......

are you using amd kernel?

vanilla kernel should work with any hack. its just modded kernels that sometimes wont work with things.

er, i actually dont know why its not working for you. probably best to try a re-install and dont touch the kernel or anything. im actually using the 10.3.0 vanilla kernel, maybe 10.3.1 kernel is from snow leopard 10.6.4 beta and is giving issues...... i dont know.

aw, that sucks :) . i remember i had some awful problem updating 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 ...... id get graphics corruption. when i booted verbose, it told me i was getting a panic in the X2000 kext.

it turned out that something happened to my kexts (update didnt replace the old ati kexts because i had modified them, pretty weird and unexpected). i manually replaced them with 10.6.3 kexts and it worked!

maybe try updating to 10.6.3 and also manually replace all the ATI kexts in S/L/E with those found in the 10.6.3 update disk image (its on apples website). you can use Pacifist to open the .dmg and get the kexts. just an idea......

are you using amd kernel?

I might try that a few days from now, I was trying to fiddle with it but kinda got lazy and just restored from my back up lol.

And yes, I am using the Qoopz AMD kernel. It's been working great so far, pretty sure that's what gave me graphics for 10.6.2.

• 2 weeks later...

i think its all about kernel!

i tryed 10.6.2 & 10.6.3

every time it produced KP ATIRadeonX2000.kext, garbled image, or monitor out of range, when editing ATIRadeonX2000.kext & ATI4500Controller.kext

i think solution lies in kernel you are using. for me its chocolate_kernel on C2D E2140 + Asus P5KPL-AM/PS (G31) + SATA HDD + ATA DVD ROM

also another thing i noticed is that, when you set resolution in com.apple.Boot.plist (like Graphics Mode = 1280x1024x32) it wont work either.

one more solution to your problems might be PciRoot=0, that worked for me.

tested various bootloaders, and the only one that seems to work is EFI 10.6!

so you have to boot in chocolate_kernel with EFI 10.6, edit kexts with your ID's, and set com.apple.Boot.plist the proper way.

card works on both, DVI & VGA output, and there is no need for DVI2VGA adaptor to be pluged in.

here is little thread, with solution that worked for me, you could give it a shoot.

only drawback is that VGA ATI 4350 is recognised as ATI 4890.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&hl=my+4350

20100617-r73f4auq3w8qjm737ngr9gf7rq.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Mac OS X 10.6.4

Mac-OS-X-10-6-2-Release-Imminent-Required-for-Full-Magic-Mouse-Support-2.jpg

UPDATING.

Graphics corruption on boot. Its a kext problem.

I know of only one way to fix it:

replace all ATI kexts in 10.6.4 with those from 10.6.3

Heres my ATI kexts for 10.6.4

Replace the ATI kexts in S/L/E with these.

You must do it after updating and run pfix or kextutility

(device-id is in 4500controller)

You still need GraphicsEnabler on.

This is a really horrible way to update, but it works.

There must be a performance decrease, because desktop

now takes a second longer to load.

Green apple () is still there.

I am not going to update my guide with this because its a horrible method.

Personally im going to continue using 10.6.3 until

a more ninja ;) method is around for 10.6.4

The green Apple is a very big problem. I installed "Star Wars The Force Unleashed" and all the graphics are green, and sometimes pink, except the sky and characters :P

ANARCHiNTOSH, can we put these kext in Extra/Extensions (instead of S/L/E) ? Thanks !

The green Apple is a very big problem. I installed "Star Wars The Force Unleashed" and all the graphics are green, and sometimes pink, except the sky and characters :(

Its really ;) . It might be an idea to try using ATI kexts from 10.6.2 (before the green apple appeared) with device-id added to ATI4500Controller and ATIRadeonX2000. As far as i remember though it didnt work.

Im trying to develop an efistring, but my efforts have so far been fruitless. Its in my sig if you want to check the progress

ANARCHiNTOSH, can we put these kext in Extra/Extensions (instead of S/L/E) ? Thanks !

No, they have to replace the ATI kexts in S/L/E/

Also, with these, i added device-id to 4500controller, so you can remove ATI4350.Fix.kext from /E/E/

Follow the instructions, exactly, at this posting: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1495307

You may have to do a little tuning like I did which I posted in that topic's thread.

Bon courage!

cam somebody just upload .kexts files that actually work and what about the beta booter from netkas? the link is invalid i need this card for my business oh and 10.6.2 kexts please

Follow the instructions, exactly, at this posting: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1495307

You may have to do a little tuning like I did which I posted in that topic's thread.

Bon courage!

thnx it seems this might work but there iss a little difference... my card is 1 gig so this might throw it off a little

First of all I'd like to thank everyone here for making this possible, especially ANARCHiNTOSH for writing the guide. I just got my PowerColor ATI 4350 512MB to run at full HD. Followed his guide to get it working.

Here's what I did:

1. Install OSX 10.6, Chamelon RC4 (refer guide above), and edit com.apple.boot.plist file (refer guide above)
  2. Boot to safe mode
  3. Install the combo update 10.6.3
  4. Remove System/Library/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext (VERY IMPORTANT, else it will cause a kernel panic)
  5. Install ATI4350.Fix.kext from the guide above
  6. Run kextutility and reboot. You should be booting into osx with full video support.

Now I'm running 1920x1080 on HDMI with full video acceleration. As for the green apple issue, I disabled transparency on the menu bar (System Pref > Desktop) so I don't see the green apple anymore.

I'm using a Biostar P4M890-M7 mobo with an Intel E2140. Everything works right out of the box except for the graphics card which I finally got working. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
just purchased this card.....lets hope i can get it to work when it arrives in a day or two... anyone have any success on getting it to work properly with 10.6.4???

for 10.6.4 i have found no way to get it to work other than replacing all ati kexts in System/Library/Extensions with those from 10.6.3

currently the card is best on 10.6.2

10.6.3 works, but you have a green apple in the top left of screen. their are some opengl anomalies, (photoshop is completely green, and apparently games are as well). 10.6.4 retains this problem

this is the guide for 10.6.2/10.6.3

this is the update guide for 10.6.4

you have to use the graphicsenabler function. i am sporadicly attempting to make an efistring that would solve the green apple problem, but ive been unsuccessful so far.

To all those who have followed these forums i have come with a solution!!!!!!!!!!

anarchintosh has come up with a way to successfully enable this card with qe/ci but i modified his explanation for more use with amd processors

the technique is still the same but for some reason amd users seem to have minor difficulties with this

note... this also works on intel processors

this will work on both 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 pc's

for proof that this method has worked for me, there is a photo attached below of my about this mac while running final cut pro in the background

step 1[lets get started]

If you are on 10.6.3

*Just install the ati4350.fix.kexthat is in the archive with kext utility(found at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&id=69895)

*kext utility can be found at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=50182

If you are on 10.6.2

*follow instuctions for 10.6.3 but then navigate to /System/Library/Extensions using the finder.

*Right click on ATIRadeonX2000.kext and select "show package contents"

*Open up contents folder

*Edit Info.plist using the default text editor or text wrangler(text wrangler is more recommended though and can be found at http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler

*Add 0x954f1002 directly after <string> which is underneath IOPCIMatch. Save file.

*Move to trash /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches (this file might not be there as it wasnt there for me but do not panic... just continue on)

step 2[bOOTy butt butt]

For only DVI monitors

*install the Chameleon-RC3 with PC-EFI 10.6 Installer or you may use the netkas beta booter

For only VGA monitors

*install the Chameleon-RC4 Installer

Install the bootloader to your OSX86 hdd( in my case external usb hdd)

step 3[got you by the string]

*navigate to and open the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

*Add an entry that looks like this to your com.apple.boot.plist(backup just in case)

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

*anarchintosh has uploaded one AS AN EXAMPLE NOT FOR REAL USE http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=72105

*[++note++ you can use this file IF AND ONLY IF YOU ARE USING THE MACH KERNAL as i did but if not careful it may brick your machine]

step 4[simple yet necessary]

*navigate to /Extra/Extensions.mkext

*only delete the extensions.mkext

*empty trash for good measure

*if it is not there as it was on my machine then do not bother with this step

step 5[the finisher]

*run kext utility for 5-15 minutes or until you are told by kext utility to have a good day/night

*reboot you machine while praying to god

*open up web browser to youtube and watch something in full screen

*if and only if video seems to go at 2 fps then qe/ci has not been enabled... so move onto step 6

step 6[only if you got teabagged]

*navigate back to your ATIRadeonX2000.kext(this is what enables qe/ci) wich can be found at /System/Library/Extensions

*right click then show package contents

*open up the folder then open up info.plist

*check for imperfections(like the dev-id's not written right)

*if you found imperfections then fix them

*if you did not find imperfections then try installing an atiradeonx2000.kext using kext utility(but not recommended) the file can be found here(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=73831) but only install the x2000.kext and let kext utility repair permissions again

*restart and pray to god once more

step 7[what makes you think you're done?]

*go ahead and change resolution(to test if ait4500.kext has been loaded properly)

*watch a youtube video(to test if atiradeonx2000.kext was loaded proplerly)

*if you cant access the internet then go to screensaver options and test the flurry screensaver

*in 10.6.3 it has been reported that you get the green apple on the top left of your screen

for dualscreen on this card you will need to look into the forums for efi string development(i have seen success but no url for you guys... sorry)

anarchintosh has started a forum on this subject

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219362

post-556734-1279752960_thumb.png

for dualscreen on this card you will need to look into the forums for efi string development(i have seen success but no url for you guys... sorry)

anarchintosh has started a forum on this subject

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219362

yh i think the problem is that bootloaders cant be frakked to properly support dual screen for ATi cards, because its a really hard job coding GraphicsEnabler. its annoying that ATi efistrings are so much more complicated than nVidia strings. nVidias cards may often be slower/more expensive, but i really appreciate how much less {censored} they need in their drivers....

yh i think the problem is that bootloaders cant be frakked to properly support dual screen for ATi cards, because its a really hard job coding GraphicsEnabler. its annoying that ATi efistrings are so much more complicated than nVidia strings. nVidias cards may often be slower/more expensive, but i really appreciate how much less {censored} they need in their drivers....

it looks like efi strings are always more problomatic because i have a 512mb evga geforce 9400gt graphics card(didnt work out of the box but when enabled, it was problematic) and creating an efi string for that was easy and i saw that this hd 4350 card was compatible with this 10.6.2 system when i booted up my dvd and i thought creating an efistring was the way to go but it turns out that this is a gray area for any radeon graphics card so it might be hard to do this task wih the so little information at hand(in comparison to nvidia graphics chipsets) especially with specific cards

step 3[got you by the string]

*navigate to and open the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

*Add an entry that looks like this to your com.apple.boot.plist(backup just in case)

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

*anarchintosh has uploaded one AS AN EXAMPLE NOT FOR REAL USE http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=72105

*[++note++ you can use this file IF AND ONLY IF YOU ARE USING THE MACH KERNAL as i did but if not careful it may brick your machine]

Hmm, I don't have a "Preferences" folder in my system library, I did find that file in my "Extra" folder but didn't seem to work, any ideas?

Hmm, I don't have a "Preferences" folder in my system library, I did find that file in my "Extra" folder but didn't seem to work, any ideas?

hmm, thats impossible if you got mac osx running, u probably have it hiding, download houdini for mac and try to find it, it should be there

you sure u couldnt move it to trash?, try cutting it to the desktop... if that doesn't work then boot into safe mode using the -x flag

ertepechis, at which step should I do the update ? combo update or Apple Software update ? Thanks.

NO SOFTWARE UPDATE, this could box ur system... try doing the combo update before you start(i made that mistake myself)

++note++ this fix works on 10.6.4 but i havnt done it yet so i cant give you much details

@SFly, press Apple+shift+G in the finder and paste /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

lol not sure how what will work as a apple key (im still new at this) but I think Ill try plugging in my G3's keyboard and give that a try

EDIT:

OK I did find it and inserted:

"<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>"

but when I run kext utility it ends up saying it cant create a file, here is the text from it:

ProductName: Mac OS X ProductVersion: 10.6.2 BuildVersion: 10C540

Kernel: Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:35:19 PST 2009

Bootargs: boot-uuid=A98B8373-295C-34AB-98BB-FC0797277123 rd=*uuid -v

Model ID: MacBookPro5,5

CPU Signature: Ox6FD (1789)

CPU TYPE: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5850 @ 2.16GHz

Core: 2260(2260) MHz x 8.4(8.4) Bus: 266 MHz FSB: 1064 MHz

Cache L2: 2 Mb

RAM: 4096 Mb

SwapUsage: total = 64.00M used = 0.00M free = 64.00M (encrypted)

HibernateMode: 27

User: DJSFly on Christopher-Turks-MacBook-Pro.local

Start working: Sun Jul 25 13:59:40 MDT 2010

Detected ... MAC OS X "Snow Leopard".

Task: Full service for "/System/Library/Extensions/"

and "/Extra/Extensions" folders.

Repair Permissions for "/System/Library/Extensions" ... Done.

-- Total processed: 5484 files for 43 sec.

kext: 353

plugin: 23

bundle: 20

ppp: 10

Remove kexts caches ... Done.

Preventive removal sleepimage file ... Done.

Waiting system rebuild "Snow Leo" "Extensions.mkext" ... Done

-- Build time = 18 sec.

Search "/Extra/Extensions/" folder ... Found.

Task: Pack "/Extra/Extensions"

to "/Extra/Extensions.mkext"

Repair Permissions for "/Extra/Extensions" ... Done.

-- Total processed: 1 files for 0 sec.

kext: 0

plugin: 0

bundle: 0

ppp: 0

Search "Extensions.mkext" ... Not Found.

Packing new "Extensions.mkext" ...