ATI Radeon HD4350 PCIe

KTL

243 posts in this topic

can you tell me where to download the files at, please email me at wallybescotty@gmail.com and maybe a step by step on how to do wouldnt hurt im a complete idiot when it comes to hackintiosh so any help would be appreciated, i have the ATI radion 4350 and i counld ever get it figured out on how to get it to work, nor my wifi linksys compact usb card, but if you could get back to me i'd be very grateful thanks

Okay... I take the risk and get Asus EAH4350 512MB Silent earlier today.

After spending 15 minutes, I get it fully working with QE/CI Enabled with netkas booter and driver

I posted the instructions at my new blog:

http://www.xhackintosh.com/ati-radeon-hd-4...pard-qe-ci.html

- Full HD 1920x1080 resolution

- Transparent menu bar

- Dashboard ripple effects

- VLC Windowed and Fullscreen (tested with 720p and full hd 1080p video, smooth playback)

- Chess game

- All Screen savers works

All works great...

Finally, I got it working too (XFX 4350 with monitor on DVI port, full res 1920x1080).

Seems to me that the problem was in netkas bootloader. If you use either some EFI strings in com.apple.boot.plist, or a custom DSDT.aml, the bootloader does not inject ATI device properly. So I got rid of my DSDT and deleted device-properties from com.apple.boot.plist, and it worked!

I used kexts from mcgrath's post above, they seem to work best. I have some newer kexts, but they just produce garbled image.

Finally, I got it working too (XFX 4350 with monitor on DVI port, full res 1920x1080).

Seems to me that the problem was in netkas bootloader. If you use either some EFI strings in com.apple.boot.plist, or a custom DSDT.aml, the bootloader does not inject ATI device properly. So I got rid of my DSDT and deleted device-properties from com.apple.boot.plist, and it worked!

I used kexts from mcgrath's post above, they seem to work best. I have some newer kexts, but they just produce garbled image.

i have the same card as you and i am new to this stuff... so can u guide me through this and what exactly is dsdt.aml i got the kext part and that was not a problem just this part which u told is where i am stuck at mrle

my sapphire HD4350 solution looks like this

install the packaes from this link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=206137

edit ATI4500controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext

run pfix and reboot

My monitor is connected with a DVI to HDMI cable(don't know if VGA or HDMI work)

Dear inspir,

I have the gigabyte version of the ATI Radeon HD 4350 if you give a step by step and screenshot of how you did it i get a KP or break my kext trying to do it?

TTVM, TIA

Tim

PS.

I am using 10.6.2

Gigabyte HD4350 512MB. Fully working (as far as I can tell) QE/CI, however it only outputs on the VGA connector correctly (I managed to get a heavily artifacted display with DVI and 10.6.0).

**EDIT: Mildy at a loss, applied this to another SL install (first partition on drive) and now the DVI works but the VGA doesn't. Still working though.

I used mcgrath's solution. My ATIRadeonX2000.kext didn't need any changes, just had to add the id ("0x954f1002") to ATI4500Controller.kext.

My system is a myHack 10.6.0 retail Snow Leopard USB install. If you installed from an existing Leopard install, you more than likely will have problems getting this to work.

DO NOT APPLY THE 10.6.3 UPDATE! It will create serious problems with the display. Netkas (netkas.org) mentions something about the update breaking the framebuffer and using the 10.6.2 framebuffer, but I've yet to try that.

** EDIT: See my post on 10.6.3 further down.

I have an AMD cpu, so I used the myHack chocolate kernel initially, but then switched to the 10.6.3 qoopz/nawcom legacy kernel after upgrading to 10.6.2.

Gigabyte HD4350 512MB. Fully working (as far as I can tell) QE/CI, however it only outputs on the VGA connector correctly (I managed to get a heavily artifacted display with DVI and 10.6.0).

**EDIT: Mildy at a loss, applied this to another SL install (first partition on drive) and now the DVI works but the VGA doesn't. Still working though.

I used mcgrath's solution. My ATIRadeonX2000.kext didn't need any changes, just had to add the id ("0x954f1002") to ATI4500Controller.kext.

My system is a myHack 10.6.0 retail Snow Leopard USB install. If you installed from an existing Leopard install, you more than likely will have problems getting this to work.

DO NOT APPLY THE 10.6.3 UPDATE! It will create serious problems with the display. Netkas (netkas.org) mentions something about the update breaking the framebuffer and using the 10.6.2 framebuffer, but I've yet to try that.

I have an AMD cpu, so I used the myHack chocolate kernel initially, but then switched to the 10.6.3 qoopz/nawcom legacy kernel after upgrading to 10.6.2.

how do you know with the GA HD 4350 that you have qe/ci

Sapphire Radeon HD4350 PCI-E

On a PC with a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (AMD) I got the famous X2000 Kernel Panic

On another one with a ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (AMD) it even boots into something like a GUI, but then the screen becomes just gray - completely gray, no cursor no menu -> nothing. During this state you still hear that the hard drive is working so I guess Mac runs fine but with just a gray screen :/

AND: it's not working with a DVI->VGA Adapter neither of both boards (so I guess it won't work with graphic cards that have a native VGA jack either)

I've installed OS X from another running Mac with the OSInstaller.mpgk trick, then I've installed myhack and then replaced the boot file in hdd's root, copied the kexts to /Extra/Extensions and rebiuld the kernel caches (without the kexts weren't loaded for some reason)

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/HackMac/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/HackMac/Extra/Extensions/ /Volumes/HackMac/System/Library/Extensions

Updated to 10.6.3. Rebooted with "-x". Added the 4350 id ("0x954F1002") to /System/Library/Extensions/ATI4500Controller.kext, ran pfix (to rebuild kext caches), and rebooted.

DVI seems to work with one immediately noticeable issue, the apple logo on the top menu bar is green. It changes back to normal if you turn off transparency, but with transparency enabled it is bright green. This may be an indicator of a more serious issue, but my tests all seem to be working just fine. If anyone has any ideas or even a theory on why this is happening, please share.

So it looks like there is full driver support for the 4350 (starting in 10.6.2), you just need to add your id to the vanilla ATI4500Controller.kext and use GraphicsEnabler (see below) with Netkas PC EFI 10.6 booter. No additional kext needed.

Enable GraphicsEnabler by adding to /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<String>y</string>

This should also work with 10.6.2, just make sure to also add the id to ATIRadeonX2000.kext. I don't think it appears in there until 10.6.3. Also, 10.6.2 doesn't have the green apple issue.

If you have any problems getting this to work, I would suggest trying the 10.6.3 legacy kernel from qoopz/nawcom. Modbin and the chocolate kernel from myHack did not fully work for me.

With 10.6.3 having come down finally, what about the most annoying ATIRadeonx2000.kext KP.....?

¡FØRWARD BRAVE ATi 4350s!

(step by step guide/summary post)

We have QE/CI etc, DVI or VGA but no dual monitors :D

Also no hdmi port, but apparently you can get hdmi if you use a DVI to HDMI adaptor.

Step 1:

(i will see about maybe making an injector kext, so as to get rid of this step)

If you are on 10.6.2

Add your device-ids to the both the ATi kexts, as described in this post.

The kexts are already in System/Library/Extensions so you dont need to download the kext pack.

If you are on 10.6.3

Only add your device-id to ATI4500Controller.kext as described in the post mentioned above.

Step 2:

For only DVI:

Get this easy Chameleon-RC3 with PC-EFI 10.6 Installer

or

For only VGA:

Get this easy Chameleon-RC4 Installer

Step 3:

Add an entry that looks like this to your com.apple.boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Step 4:

Get Kext Utility, run it to fix permissions and rebuild kextcaches

Reboot

With 10.6.3 having come down finally, what about the most annoying ATIRadeonx2000.kext KP.....?

hmm, i havnt updated to 10.6.3, although i will

i only got KP on 10.6.2 when i used a bootloader that wasnt RC4 or RC3w/PCEFI 10.6 or disabled GraphicsEnabler

i assumed from Parannoyed's post before mine that 10.6.3 was working with pcefi10.6 and adding device-id to ATI4500Controller.kext

if you add your device-id to ATI4500Controller.kext, ensure kextcaches are rebuilt, turn on graphicsenabler and use the right bootloader you will not get a ATIRadeonx2000.kext Kernal Panic.

:)

Is anyone else experiencing any "green" issues with 10.6.2+? I was staying at 10.6.2 because of the green apple in the top menubar on 10.6.3, but in Photoshop (CS4) I had to turn off "Use for drawing" under OpenGL Advanced, otherwise the image being edited has a neon green tint to it. I've tried quite a few benchmarking and graphics programs but only Photoshop gave me any trouble.

I'm going to try it on my 10.6.3 to see if the same thing occurs. I'll also see if the 10.6.3 v1.1 fix helps. I'm pretty sure I went straight to .3 after installing.

i've the same issue (XFX 4350 on Asrock AliveXfireEsata2) , on Snow only DVI works (no dual screen) :star_smile:

i've replaced original 10.6.2 ... can be this the trouble??

( If you are on 10.6.2 The kexts are already in System/Library/Extensions so you dont need to download the kext pack. )

it's possible that adding just the device id of my 4350 on orignal kexts the dual monitor will work?

yes i am now getting a ATIRadeonx2000.kext kernal panic on 10.6.3

i am now using dsdt injector instead of graphicsenabler in boot.plist (i know this is not the problem)

and have added my device-id to ATI4500Controller.kext

i have not yet found a way around it.

@insanely2010 there is no way to make dual monitors yet, i wish there was

Is anyone else experiencing any "green" issues with 10.6.2+? I was staying at 10.6.2 because of the green apple in the top menubar on 10.6.3, but in Photoshop (CS4) I had to turn off "Use for drawing" under OpenGL Advanced, otherwise the image being edited has a neon green tint to it. I've tried quite a few benchmarking and graphics programs but only Photoshop gave me any trouble.

I'm going to try it on my 10.6.3 to see if the same thing occurs. I'll also see if the 10.6.3 v1.1 fix helps. I'm pretty sure I went straight to .3 after installing.

parannoyed, everything i have tried has resulted in kernalpanic in ATIRadeonx2000.kext?

this includes: pc_efi 10.6 graphics enabler=yes with device id in ATI4500Controller.kext

yes i am now getting a ATIRadeonx2000.kext kernal panic on 10.6.3

Have you double checked to make sure the device id is in there?

If I recall correctly, I had some trouble with KP's or QE/CI not working 100% until I used the qoopz/nawcom 10.6.3 legacy kernel (I'm on AMD). Are you running the vanilla or a custom kernel?

I haven't booted my 10.6.3 partition for a couple days, but tonight I'm planning on running some benchmarks and tests to see if I should start using it on my normal setup. I'll post my results and update process (if everything goes well).

Have you double checked to make sure the device id is in there?

If I recall correctly, I had some trouble with KP's or QE/CI not working 100% until I used the qoopz/nawcom 10.6.3 legacy kernel (I'm on AMD). Are you running the vanilla or a custom kernel?

I haven't booted my 10.6.3 partition for a couple days, but tonight I'm planning on running some benchmarks and tests to see if I should start using it on my normal setup. I'll post my results and update process (if everything goes well).

yes, i just checked the two kexts, and the device-id is there.

im running the vanilla kernal (10.3) on my i7.

strangely enough, i can get past the kernal panic and get correct resolution but no QE/CI if i use these ATi kexts

http://www.mediafire.com/?im3m2ddmwkg , but i have to add my device-ids to the the 4500 kext

hmm, yes something strange was going on with my ATI kexts (i tryed so many different ones i must have left one or two edited ones in there). so i used pacifist to extract from the 10.6.3 v1.1 updater to get the vanilla ATI kexts.

Then i added my dev-id to 4500controller kext, installed all of the ATI kexts got rid of the dsdt inject and renabled PC_EFI injector and i finally got my dvi working with QE/CI.

I also have the green apple, how strange.....

i wonder how it can be fixed.

NOW NO NEED FOR PATCHING KEXTS WITH DEVICE-ID ON 10.6.3:

I present my ATI4350.Fix.kext for automatic device-id injection (good for when you have to use software update)

It works in /E/E and S/L/E

I also updated the !FORWARD! 4350 instructions

Thank you, but this is like adding the device ID in the ATI4500Controller.kext ? Do you still need a PC EFI or Chameleon boot file ? Does this solve the green apple issue ? :) thanks !

ah, i didnt make it clear. all it does currently is inject device-id, like adding it to ATI4500controller.kext.

Its just a handy thing to make your osx86 neater.

- now you wont need to re-add your device-id after updating

it doesnt solve green apple and you still need pcefi or chameleon graphics enabler or dsdt inject code

If someone could pin-point the code (its probably in one of the ati kexts info.plist)

that is causing the green apple error, then it would be possible to fix it from the ATI4350.Fix.kext

If anyone has the time they could find which kext is causing the problem by individually swapping out

10.6.3 ATI kexts for their 10.6.2 equivalents. let me know.....

but it may be something to do with GraphicsEnabler.....

ive been thinking a lot about the dsdt code that buwie posted:

i wonder if that dsdt injector can:

1) be adapted to enable DVI

2) be adapted to enable dual monitors

3) a more abstract query: can dsdt code be adapted/changed to run from kexts? and would this result in longer boot time

if so it would be possible to enable everything from the fix.kext, which would be better than using

horrid GraphicsEnabler, and more convenient than patching your dsdt (i like to keep graphics out of dsdt)

@parannoyed, im very interested to hear what the results of your benchmarks/tests are.

does the green apple indicate an underlying problem, does 10.6.3 bring any regressions for 4350?

[b]Results	157.51	[/b]
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.6.2 (10C540)
	Physical RAM		4096 MB
	Model		MacPro2,1
	Drive Type		WDC WD2500BEVS-26UST0
Quartz Graphics Test	199.06	
	Line	145.66	9.70 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	199.37	59.52 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	171.97	14.02 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	173.02	4.36 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	609.18	38.11 Kchars/sec
[b]OpenGL Graphics Test	130.31	[/b]
	Spinning Squares	130.31	165.30 frames/sec

[b]Results	201.02	[/b]
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.6.3 (10D573)
	Physical RAM		4096 MB
	Model		MacPro2,1
	Drive Type		WDC WD2500BEVS-26UST0
Quartz Graphics Test	200.67	
	Line	146.86	9.78 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	202.26	60.38 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	174.23	14.20 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	172.38	4.35 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	616.28	38.55 Kchars/sec
[b]OpenGL Graphics Test	201.37	[/b]
	Spinning Squares	201.37	255.45 frames/sec

There's an obvious OpenGL performance gain/difference. More apps have trouble with OpenGL in 10.6.3, so it could be failing miserably at something, which is showing as a performance gain. For instance Xcode's Core Image Fun House.app distorts and has the green problem whenever a filter is applied, but doesn't have this problem with 10.6.2. Photoshop still requires that Use For Image Display be turned off in Advanced OpenGL Drawing. I tried to do some OpenGL debugging, but I'm clueless when it comes to OpenGL, so it was rather pointless.

There are some reports of similar issues with retail Macs, see the Apple Support Forums. The ATI Radeon X1600 seems to be a popular card with reports of retail problems. If this is anything similar to the retail issue, then I'm inclined to believe that it has to do with the memory management in the ATI driver.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but without the ATI4500 kext loaded, my card reports 256MB of VRAM in Profiler, so perhaps it isn't using the VRAM properly. Is there any difference in the 45xx vs 43xx series when it comes to memory management? I tried using atMonitor to monitor the VRAM usage (suggested in the Apple Support thread), but I get a Kernel Panic (due to my using legacy kernel no doubt). If someone with vanilla kernel wants to give it a try, please report back if there's anything interesting.

@ANARCHiNTOSH: Nice work on the injection kext :D