Ban LenochkaMAC, delete all his posts

30 posts in this topic

Very well said. Over simplification will be the downfall of OSx86, you get a ton of noobs who can't do so much as think for themselves or do a task without having a fancy GUI guide them along the way or a step by step guide on how to do everything, and they end up way out numbering those who actually contribute to this project.

This is just a stab in the dark....

Don't you guys think that while the"noobs" keep the numbers up and the advertisers happy, the guys doing the real work can have a forum to exchange ideas and have a basis to tryout new ideas on?

I mean(and this is happening more and more), one does NOT have to answer or assist someone if you don't like to! I personally, have read posts, knowing that there are at least 20 similar sections and then merely ignore such requests! You then find that the majority after not getting responses eventually have their issues solved!

My opinion on GUI's: I agree with your statement, but although I know exactly how to do a repair permissions and a cache clearance, it is just so much easier to click on on button to do it all!! As an example the "UnHideIT" menu option to see hidden files, assists me daily when I experiment on new installations!

So leave the noobs, let them keep generation income, and keep the elitist, happy by giving acknowledgment and praise where needed!

SticMAC

This never makes them learn the real unix way of doing things properly.. because they see no need to, and when it breaks they can't fix it.

So you're saying that UNIX shouldn't be accessible? Linux shouldn't be accessible? Because the moment you say, "Open Terminal..." you've lost 99% of the people who would even want to try it (which a well placed AppleScript will solve a lot of those problems also).

This is just a stab in the dark....

Don't you guys think that while the"noobs" keep the numbers up and the advertisers happy, the guys doing the real work can have a forum to exchange ideas and have a basis to tryout new ideas on?

Having an ample supply of testers is good, but it's even better when the testers know the difference between apple sauce and a pile of :) when it comes to knowing how to do it.

I mean(and this is happening more and more), one does NOT have to answer or assist someone if you don't like to! I personally, have read posts, knowing that there are at least 20 similar sections and then merely ignore such requests! You then find that the majority after not getting responses eventually have their issues solved!

Or they create 10 more topics asking the same question over and over again.

My opinion on GUI's: I agree with your statement, but although I know exactly how to do a repair permissions and a cache clearance, it is just so much easier to click on on button to do it all!! As an example the "UnHideIT" menu option to see hidden files, assists me daily when I experiment on new installations!

Over simplification can make things quicker, but you keep it fresh in your mind if you do it the manual way all the time.

So leave the noobs, let them keep generation income, and keep the elitist, happy by giving acknowledgment and praise where needed!

SticMAC

Only if the noobs are willing to learn how to do things the manual way, not the GUI way.

You guys are missing the point. "GUI guides" by other people is what first got me started on OSx86! It was after that that I got into the manual methods of doing things etc. etc. Tell me, how in the world is a noob supposed to learn the "proper ways" without having an existing OSx86 install to try this stuff on? I KNOW FOR A FACT from personal experience that noobs need help on their FIRST install. After that, they can blossom. This is how it was for me, and I'm pretty sure its the same for the majority of people here as well.

Brings back my original point: Stop pretending that you were not once a noob, with a love for easy ways to get things done