Install Ubuntu.....

Radoslav

11 posts in this topic

Hello

I just successfully install OS X Tiger 10.4.5 from the pached ISO DVD. It is great but my dad(who uses my laptop too) wish his favourite linux back. Now the problem- I have onl one partition for the OSX which i created during the intall. How can I divide space for ubuntu and still keep the files in OSX. ALso how to get entry for OSX86 in Grub?

Thanks in advance

If you only have one OS installed on your hard drive, then you don't even have one partition. You are using your whole drive for OS X. You can use disk util to partition your drive and install Ubunto on the new primary partiton. Then you go to the dual boot forum and read up on how to add hda1 to your grub or lilo. Be warned that doing this operation might not go as well as you planned. Back up your important data.

If you don't care too much for your current OS X install, you can always prepartition your drive. The first partition would be your ubuntu and the the second would be your OS X. This way, you wold be using darwin boot loader for dual boot instead of grub.

If you only have one OS installed on your hard drive, then you don't even have one partition. You are using your whole drive for OS X. You can use disk util to partition your drive and install Ubunto on the new primary partiton. Then you go to the dual boot forum and read up on how to add hda1 to your grub or lilo. Be warned that doing this operation might not go as well as you planned. Back up your important data.

If you don't care too much for your current OS X install, you can always prepartition your drive. The first partition would be your ubuntu and the the second would be your OS X. This way, you wold be using darwin boot loader for dual boot instead of grub.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I find Disk util confusing so can you tell me step by step guide for creating partition for ubuntu?

Cheers

What the colonel suggested would work but would also wipe you OS X install. I'm not quite sure what will happen if you create another partition after OS X is installed. I know for sure that if you have windows installed along with OSX, it will fubar the whole drive when disk util is used to manipulate the disk.

Hey people I did it and now i have osx86, windows(for shool usage) and ubuntu. Thanks a lot

But when i have another question. I currently use the 2 wire trick to avoid the blue screen during boot. Now when i have more than one OS it annoys me. Is there any othe known method to get to OSX without any wires in the VGA?

Thanks for the help

you cant partition a drive without loosing whats on it......it has to be done first.

Yeah, OS X for some weird reason cant partition it's disk without wiping all the data off the HDD first. However, Windows has the ability to partition and keep data on it... :thumbsdown_anim: