298 replies to this topic

Warstrong

Warstrong

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi Warstrong
I've tried my WUSB54GC v2 to get work but no luck.
That dongle reports as to be RTL8187B WLAN (PID: 0x0073, VID: 0x1737). I've tried the original driver from Realtek site, adding support for Linksys PID&VID to plist, no luck.
Would you like to help me to get my WUSB54GC v2 working?
Thanks

I'm sorry, do you have version 2.0 or 3.0? I think versions 1 and 2 are white and version 3 is black... you should go to About This Mac, click on 'More Info...', then under 'Contents' click 'USB'. The list to the right is all the USB devices connected to your computer. You need to click on the device that comes up when you plug in your adapter. Whatever it says next to Product ID and Vendor ID you need to post here and I'll make sure that it gets added if it's not already there.

Sabacc

Sabacc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
First, thank you very much for assembling this.

I am also unable to get this to work. It is mentioned repeatedly that versions 1 and 2 are white, while version 3 is black? My stick is black, though I am sure I have version 2. (edit: actually, the back of the stick says version 3 :/)

Here's some info dumped from the System Profiler:

Product ID: 0x62c0
Vendor ID: 0x0c45
Version 2.10
Serial Number: SN0001

the rest seems irrelevant but I can post it if necessary.

None of the packages work for me. I am on iDeneb 10.5.6. No kernel panics--I just get the dreaded No Device!! no matter how many times I reboot/re-plug the stick.

Warstrong

Warstrong

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

First, thank you very much for assembling this.

I am also unable to get this to work. It is mentioned repeatedly that versions 1 and 2 are white, while version 3 is black? My stick is black, though I am sure I have version 2. (edit: actually, the back of the stick says version 3 :/)

Here's some info dumped from the System Profiler:

Product ID: 0x62c0
Vendor ID: 0x0c45
Version 2.10
Serial Number: SN0001

the rest seems irrelevant but I can post it if necessary.

None of the packages work for me. I am on iDeneb 10.5.6. No kernel panics--I just get the dreaded No Device!! no matter how many times I reboot/re-plug the stick.

How's this work? Trash the RT2870 kext in S/L/E now, and use OSX86 Tools to install this kext. Looks like I just had the wrong VID and PID before. Good luck!

Attached Files

Sabacc

Sabacc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm sorry to say that after I posted the above, I tried the earlier suggestion of then installing Ralink's drivers (after the system complains of a bad kext), and that absolutely works.

Should I throw out the 2870 kext that I have and use your attached, to test? It sounds like you've figured out the problem.

BTW, my device is definitely version 3, as that's the installer I used successfully.

Bungo

Bungo

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 307 posts

I'm sorry, do you have version 2.0 or 3.0?
I think versions 1 and 2 are white and version 3 is black... you should go to About This Mac, click on 'More Info...', then under 'Contents' click 'USB'. The list to the right is all the USB devices connected to your computer. You need to click on the device that comes up when you plug in your adapter. Whatever it says next to Product ID and Vendor ID you need to post here and I'll make sure that it gets added if it's not already there.

Data from dongle sticker: LINKSYS CISCO WUSB54GC v2 (it's gray)

From Profiler:
Product ID:0x0073
Vendor ID: 0x1737
Version: 2.00

From Windows:
USB\VID_1737&PID_0073&REV_0200
USB\VID_1737&PID_0073

Recognized as RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter

Sabacc

Sabacc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

How's this work? Trash the RT2870 kext in S/L/E now, and use OSX86 Tools to install this kext. Looks like I just had the wrong VID and PID before. Good luck!

Nope, that didn't do it either.

travisqb

travisqb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am new to the forum and couldn't have started with a better topic. I have the original usb dongle and your first setup zip file worked perfectly. I had tried many different methods, but none of them worked. This was very easy! Thanks!

G_S

G_S

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
First, thanks for your efforts at putting this together, Warstrong.

I just came home from the store with this thing the guy said I could use to get my Macbook (10.5.6), G4 Power Mac (10.4.11) and Brother 3-in-1 talking to each other. The printer is connected to the G4 via USB. I use a Cisco N router for the Macbook. Basically all I want to do is be able to print from my Macbook via Airport. Getting the G4 and the Macbook on the network together would be a perk though.

I tried running the version three setup, but got the "no device" message.

My WUSB54GC is black, and the system profiler says this about it:

802.11 g WLAN:

Version: 1.01
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Ralink
Product ID: 0x0077
Serial Number: 1.0

Any suggestions?

Warstrong

Warstrong

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

First, thanks for your efforts at putting this together, Warstrong.

I just came home from the store with this thing the guy said I could use to get my Macbook (10.5.6), G4 Power Mac (10.4.11) and Brother 3-in-1 talking to each other. The printer is connected to the G4 via USB. I use a Cisco N router for the Macbook. Basically all I want to do is be able to print from my Macbook via Airport. Getting the G4 and the Macbook on the network together would be a perk though.

I tried running the version three setup, but got the "no device" message.

My WUSB54GC is black, and the system profiler says this about it:

802.11 g WLAN:

Version: 1.01
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Ralink
Product ID: 0x0077
Serial Number: 1.0
Any suggestions?

How's this work? Just take the .kext file inside and use OSX86Tools to install the kext.

Attached Files

CryticX

CryticX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Can this perhaps work with WUSB54GSC?

Creechan

Creechan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Warstrog.

I'm writting this from my netbook with the WUSB54GC. It works now. Thank you.

These are my specs:
Acer Aspire One 150
WUSB54GC (I couldn't know the version; it's grey)
Leopard (Iatkos 5i) 10.5.6

I used Kext Helper B7 to install the kexts in the zip with no problems.

Thank you again.

nosushi4you

nosushi4you

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
So, this would be good to buy, then?
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000CRFI8A
:o
It will work?

Warstrong

Warstrong

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
nosushi4you, yes it should work. No way to tell if you'll get a grey or a black one, but even if it's a black one it should work.

nosushi4you

nosushi4you

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Thank you so much! I'm going to get one very soon! I will report back to let you know how it went. ;)

EDIT: I think this should be stickied. It seems like it's helping a lot of people. :)

Warstrong

Warstrong

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Thank you so much! I'm going to get one very soon! I will report back to let you know how it went. :)

EDIT: I think this should be stickied. It seems like it's helping a lot of people. :)

Which version did you get, did you actually get it working, and what method did you use?

sadyvra

sadyvra

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The utility doesn't seem to open on an old iMac (10.2.8, 800 Mhz PowePC G4). It's icon jump-flashes for a second in the Program Bar (or whatever it is called in the Mac world) and disappears. Nothing happens then except that, after several doubleclicks, generic A icon changes to Ralink's. Restarting and repluging did not change a thing. My WUSB54GC-EU has got no version number on the sticker, so I'm assuming it's ver 1.

Warstrong

Warstrong

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

The utility doesn't seem to open on an old iMac (10.2.8, 800 Mhz PowePC G4). It's icon jump-flashes for a second in the Program Bar (or whatever it is called in the Mac world) and disappears. Nothing happens then except that, after several doubleclicks, generic A icon changes to Ralink's. Restarting and repluging did not change a thing. My WUSB54GC-EU has got no version number on the sticker, so I'm assuming it's ver 1.

Sorry, I didn't realize anyone still uses 10.2... your G4 should be on 10.4 or 10.5 (which is optimized better). Many applications (Ralink's app included) are only designed for 10.3 and up (some don't even support 10.3), and that's your problem. It shouldn't be hard to *obtain* a copy of 10.4 or 10.5... ask around ;)

sadyvra

sadyvra

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Sorry, I didn't realize anyone still uses 10.2... your G4 should be on 10.4 or 10.5 (which is optimized better). Many applications (Ralink's app included) are only designed for 10.3 and up (some don't even support 10.3), and that's your problem. It shouldn't be hard to *obtain* a copy of 10.4 or 10.5... ask around :wub:

Thanks for advice, Warstrong. You are right: it's a shame to be the last person in the world using 10.2 :) Just wanted G4 to be on my home network... By "ask around", did you mean this forum?

Warstrong

Warstrong

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Thanks for advice, Warstrong. You are right: it's a shame to be the last person in the world using 10.2 :wacko: Just wanted G4 to be on my home network... By "ask around", did you mean this forum?

No, this forum doesn't condone piracy.

dulatows

dulatows

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Sooo close....

on 10.4.11, I tried to bypass the OSx86Tools install because that only works for 10.5 and higher. So obviously I received the "RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext file installed inproperly" when running the UBSWirelessUtility, because all I did was drag it into the /s/l/e folder.

Is there a way of installing the kext without the OSx86Tools app, or is my only other option being upgrade to 10.5?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy