WUSB54GC: How to use new official driver & utility

Warstrong

299 posts in this topic

Hi Warstrog.

I'm writting this from my netbook with the WUSB54GC. It works now. Thank you.

These are my specs:

Acer Aspire One 150

WUSB54GC (I couldn't know the version; it's grey)

Leopard (Iatkos 5i) 10.5.6

I used Kext Helper B7 to install the kexts in the zip with no problems.

Thank you again.

Thank you so much! I'm going to get one very soon! I will report back to let you know how it went. :)

EDIT: I think this should be stickied. It seems like it's helping a lot of people. :)

Which version did you get, did you actually get it working, and what method did you use?

The utility doesn't seem to open on an old iMac (10.2.8, 800 Mhz PowePC G4). It's icon jump-flashes for a second in the Program Bar (or whatever it is called in the Mac world) and disappears. Nothing happens then except that, after several doubleclicks, generic A icon changes to Ralink's. Restarting and repluging did not change a thing. My WUSB54GC-EU has got no version number on the sticker, so I'm assuming it's ver 1.

The utility doesn't seem to open on an old iMac (10.2.8, 800 Mhz PowePC G4). It's icon jump-flashes for a second in the Program Bar (or whatever it is called in the Mac world) and disappears. Nothing happens then except that, after several doubleclicks, generic A icon changes to Ralink's. Restarting and repluging did not change a thing. My WUSB54GC-EU has got no version number on the sticker, so I'm assuming it's ver 1.

Sorry, I didn't realize anyone still uses 10.2... your G4 should be on 10.4 or 10.5 (which is optimized better). Many applications (Ralink's app included) are only designed for 10.3 and up (some don't even support 10.3), and that's your problem. It shouldn't be hard to *obtain* a copy of 10.4 or 10.5... ask around ;)

Sorry, I didn't realize anyone still uses 10.2... your G4 should be on 10.4 or 10.5 (which is optimized better). Many applications (Ralink's app included) are only designed for 10.3 and up (some don't even support 10.3), and that's your problem. It shouldn't be hard to *obtain* a copy of 10.4 or 10.5... ask around :wub:

Thanks for advice, Warstrong. You are right: it's a shame to be the last person in the world using 10.2 :) Just wanted G4 to be on my home network... By "ask around", did you mean this forum?

Thanks for advice, Warstrong. You are right: it's a shame to be the last person in the world using 10.2 :wacko: Just wanted G4 to be on my home network... By "ask around", did you mean this forum?

No, this forum doesn't condone piracy.

Sooo close....

on 10.4.11, I tried to bypass the OSx86Tools install because that only works for 10.5 and higher. So obviously I received the "RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext file installed inproperly" when running the UBSWirelessUtility, because all I did was drag it into the /s/l/e folder.

Is there a way of installing the kext without the OSx86Tools app, or is my only other option being upgrade to 10.5?

Thanks!

Sooo close....

on 10.4.11, I tried to bypass the OSx86Tools install because that only works for 10.5 and higher. So obviously I received the "RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext file installed inproperly" when running the UBSWirelessUtility, because all I did was drag it into the /s/l/e folder.

Is there a way of installing the kext without the OSx86Tools app, or is my only other option being upgrade to 10.5?

Thanks!

I've been plugging OSx86Tools because I like the program and the other projects of ###### (stupid policy...). You can also use Kext Helper. It does the same thing as the kext installation function of OSx86Tools. I recommend trashing the kext in /s/l/e before using that though.

It didn't worked for version OSX 10.5.7.... can you tell me how to delete everything I install ?

What version of the adapter are you using and which package/method did you try?

There should be a USB Wireless Utility in the Applications folder and a RT73/RT2870 kext in System/Library/Extensions

What version of the adapter are you using and which package/method did you try?

There should be a USB Wireless Utility in the Applications folder and a RT73/RT2870 kext in System/Library/Extensions

I made all the installations. In the System/Library/Extensions RT73, RT2500, RT287.

First I installed with this file (Linksys WUSB54GC Version 3 Setup), the wireless utility said NO DEVICE! and in S/L/E was this file (RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kex)

Then I installed the rt73 and the rt2500 with the OSX86 tools, but the same results and for last; I installed a file (RTUSB D2870-1.2.4.0a UI-1.6.8.0_2008_12_04.dmg) but no results.

Is there a solution ?, Can I do it again? or what should I do again?. Thanks for your fast reply.

This post is just here as an archive of the original first post. The download links are still in the first post.

Compatible with 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5. 10.2 and below are not supported and 10.3 might not work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just built an installer so anybody can use the WUSB54GC with their OSX computer. Seems to work perfectly. It's attached to the bottom of this post. It's all you need to download for versions 1 to 2! So versions prior to 3 just need to download the third file, the first two can be ignored.

UPDATE: Good news for those with version 3 of this adapter. I've made an installer for this new version. Please post if there is an issue with this installer, as it has been reported that a manual installation of kexts using the application OSX86Tools is needed, but this may not be true for everyone. Uploaded on 4/19/09. Anyone with versions prior to 3 (white adapters) should still use the original setup package.

----------------------------------------OLD METHOD----------------------------------------------

After weeks of frustration with Prasys' driver and utility causing kernel panics and generally acting up under 10.5, I've found the best solution possible at this time. The basic idea is to install the official ralink stuff, but then replace the drivers with the slightly modified versions that are attached. Use OSX86Tools to install the kexts. I haven't experienced a kernel panic since I started using this driver...

1. Download and install the driver and utility from Ralink

2. At this point there will be the official RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext and RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext installed. Delete them from System/Library/Extensions.

3. Download attached ZIP file

4. Download and launch OSX86Tools and use it to install the two kexts once they've been extracted from the ZIP file

5. Restart the computer

6. It should start the new USBWirelessUtility and detect your WUSB54GC. Search and join your network. If you connect but you still can't load a web page, check under the Network pane in System Preferences to make sure the card has been added as a network interface

Note: If the utility says NO DEVICE!!!!!! it may just need you to replug the adapter. In this case I recommend using OSX86Tools to write a -f boot flag to com.apple.boot.plist

Note 2: Please reply back to report success or issues.

Links:

Ralink's 3-10-09 release of the RT2870 drivers and utility

Google OSx86Tools (InsanelyMac doesn't support links to its site for some reason)

Can someone confirm that this works on 10.5.7?

It's the only confirmation of it working on 10.5.7, but eggypadua said it works perfectly for him/her on 10.5.7 with the third version of the card. There should be more confirmations soon... I'm not sure how well this new "Complete Package" is going to work. Nobody would lie about it working on 10.5.7 so I think you should go for it.

Alright, excellent. I'm not sure if it's the same person, but I checked the OSX86 Wiki and it said this works with 10.5.7, too. I'm going to purchase one very soon, and I will be sure to post if it works or not. Besides, if it works with 10.5.6, I see no real reason why it wouldn't on 10.5.7. Heh.

Did the Complete Package not work for you?

No, just using the mpkg package resulted in errors like "kext not installed correctly".

After 'rm -rf'-ing the kexts and installing the ones from the #1 post zip with osx86tools, everything worked correctly ( i just had to re-insert the usb stick, no reboot ).

Hi all,

I'm really having a tough time getting this thing working. Not sure what's going on. I have what I think is the version 3 ( black) one and I've tried the version 3 setup and no dice. Do I need to add product id and vendor id to the info.plist file? I can see the device in system profile.

Help would be great.

Chevy

Hi all,

I'm really having a tough time getting this thing working. Not sure what's going on. I have what I think is the version 3 ( black) one and I've tried the version 3 setup and no dice. Do I need to add product id and vendor id to the info.plist file? I can see the device in system profile.

Help would be great.

Chevy

Have you tried the Complete Package yet?

If you have, just post the Product ID and Vendor ID.

Here is the info from system profiler.

Product ID: 0x0077

Vendor ID: 0x1737 (Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Inst.)

Version: 1.01

Serial Number: 1.0

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Ralink

Location ID: 0xfd200000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 450