[GUIDE] Installing Leopard on Dell Studio XPS i7

Yardie

267 posts in this topic

The Dell Studio XPS contains much of the same hardware as the Gigabyt GA-EX58-UD4, UD5, and the ASUS P6K. I've tried using the existing guides from here and watched with interest as other members have gotten it working in here. Until recently my own progress has been pretty weak until I found the perfect combination that got the ball rolling.

A lot of the information used in this guide is found on this site. This is just specific to this very popular desktop PC right now. For reference you can refer to the Retail DVD guide. Which I've used with great success in getting a GA-P35-DS3R working.

As of today I've got most of the good bits working, there is still a lot of things that will have to be corrected in the future. I'm relying on the help of others to smooth things out.

First things first is getting the BIOS ready.

Advanced CPU settings:

• HyperThreading disabled
  • Virtualization enabled
  • CPUs 1 (this might work with 2)

You must change AHCI mode from ATA to RAID. ATA was a complete no go from mine and others trials

Format the hard drive

Grab a copy of iAtkos 5i. I've tried iDeneb but the voodoo kernel crashes on my system.

When the installer loads open up Disk Utility.

Format the drive for GPT. Create 2 or more partitions. I have a small iAtkos partition of 20GB used as my failsafe. I have a MSDOS partition of 80GB for Windows Vista (yes, you can install Windows under GPT. I'll show you how). And I have a Retail partition of 80GB I call Vanilla.

After the disk is formatted you can either proceed to install iAtkos or reboot and run the Windows installer.

Install Windows

You've decided to go with Windows. 2 things you will be running x64 since it can boot from the GPT disk. It cannot format or modify other partitions on the GPT disk but it can interact with FAT NTFS paritions.

Insert the Windows Vista or 7 CD when the screen gets to the disk selection screen you'll see the 200MB EFI partition and a series of 128MB spacer partitions. Choose the partition you formatted as FAT32. It will reformat to NTFS and install. After it finishes reboot choose F12 and select your hard drive. at the EFI boot screen select Windows based file system and you'll be back in windows. You'll have to do this everytime you boot and get to the EFI window. I put a 5 second pause in my Boot.plist so I could choose my boot volume.

Install iAtkos

At the install screen customize your interface to have the following things installed.

• PC EFIv9
  • dsmos
  • AppleSMBIOS - netkas
  • Kernel 9.5.0 fassl
  • Disabler.kext
  • Intel AHCI SATA

you can install the Graphics Update and Natit.kext if you wish. I had problems with the framebuffer with my ATI HD 3650 so I left it alone and ran in software emulation mode.

When finished reboot. It might take a while for the screen to show up. I booted in verbose mode and noticed it was taking a long time on the mDNSResponder. I thought it crashed a few times but I eventually got to Leopard screen when I left it alone long enough.

Now that your done pop in your Retail Leopard CD. From the command prompt # open Mac\ OS\ X Install\ DVD/System/Library/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg. Change the Install location to Vanilla or whichever disk you were planning to go with. If you don't have the latest Leopard CD download the Combo update for 10.5.6 from the Apple Support page.

Removing kexts, adding, replacing

Based on this guide here by Digital_Dreamer we will be copying the following kext to a safe place.

from /Volumes/Vanilla/System/Library/Extensions

(ex. cp -r /Volumes/Vanilla/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /Volumes/Vanilla/vanillabackup/)

• AppleACPIPlatform.kext
  • AppleAHCIPort.kext
  • AppleEFIRuntime.kext
  • AppleHDA.kext
  • AppleSMBIOS.kext
  • IOAHCIFamily.kext
  • IOATAFamily.kext
  • JMicronATA.kext
  • System.kext
  • com.apple.Boot.plist (from /Volumes/Vanilla/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration)

You can delete the following kexts from the Extensions folder:

• AppleACPIPlatform.kext
  • AppleAHCIPort.kext
  • AppleSMBIOS.kext
  • IOAHCIFamily.kext
  • IOATAFamily.kext
  • JMicronATA.kext

download this package from DD or my own zip file at the bottom of this post

Place all the extensions in the S/L/E folder

Grab a copy of PC_EFIv9 from here and install it on Vanilla

I noticed the DD kext package doesn't include the AppleSMBIOS.kext. I have included one in the zip file below

Backup the vanilla mach_kernel. And replace it with the voodoo 9.6.0 kernel. install the System.kext

While you are here do the steps to get a working DSDT like below. the patcher is in the zip file below. A copy of my DSDT.aml is included. Place it in the root of Vanilla and the long boot headache goes away.

Install Graphics

This is the final step. If everything went right we should be booting into an almost functional version of Leopard. For some reason my startup takes longer than it should and I haven't quite figured out why. But eventually it gets to the desktop. If you get a blue screen please wait a few minutes. I have the Dell installed ATI Radeon HD 3650 with 256MB of RAM. The screen will bluescreen for a few minutes and continue on to the leopard nebula like nothing happened. I after 10-15 minutes you still are at the bluescreen then download this.

Restart.

Some last notes.

UPDATE

I fixed the long boot problem by editing the dsdt.dst and then running DSDT Patcher again.

1. Run DSDT Patcher and select option 0. Open the debug folder and edit dsdt.dst. In the first 20 lines of code remove any CPU aliases. copy dsdt.dst to the folder above and run command DSDT\ Patcher dsdt.dst. It will create a new dsdt.aml. Rename this to DSDT.aml and copy to the root of Vanilla. Boot time drops from minutes to 30 seconds or less. You should also enable all cores and Hyperthreading in the BIOS.

When I opened activity monitor I thought I was down to one core. It's because activity monitor ran out of space and showed a summary. Open CPU history windows and you'll have all 8 cores listed.

Sound doesn't work, but the System profiler shows 2 devices. I believe one is the HDMI sound chip and the other is the motherboard. Restart and shutdown work. I really don't put anything to sleep since I also use the PC as a server.

UPDATE

I have 100Mb Ethernet now (no switch for GB ethernet, to test) Do a search for the Intel82566 kext and drop it into your Extensions folder. After this I added it to my EFI string and (optional) deleted NetworkInterfaces.plist and preference.plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. This resets all your network interfaces so en0 is ethernet en1 is airport fw0 is firewire and etc. Deleting your network interface is optional but is used by timemachine to determine the machine GUID.

I have created a zip file of my current setup. It has EFI strings for the ATI 3650, built-in lan, and pointers to sound (when that gets sorted). It also sets the macmodel, to MacPro3,1. Everything but sound works. You should edit it and take out parts (kernel for example) you don't need.

UPDATE

SOUND

I still haven't gotten sound out working. None of the AppleHDA.kexts I've tried appear to work. The device shows up, some of the ports are listed but no sound from any of them. I am working on it at the moment but this is far beyond my expertise. I'm including the dumps, strings and pinmaps I've made so far. This is supposed to go into the HDAController.kext and HDAPlatformDrive.kext inside of AppleHDA.kxt.

post-62641-1233678800_thumb.png

Dell_XPS_Studio_Pack.zip

codec_2.txt

pinmaps.rtf

pinouts.rtf

codec_2_hex.txt

Thanks for this guide, it has gotten me started on my first Hackintosh. A few questions:

I gotten to the point where I am through the first reboot and I am installing the 10.5.6 update - for the 3rd time today. Something happens in the process of updating the kexts, installing the voodoo kernel, etc. and my system will not boot. Is the order you have those steps the best order to do things in? Also, when all is said and done, what resolution are you able to run in?

Keep up the good work!

Link to the DSDT Patcher - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...topic=133683%22

Do NOT use the GUI patcher as you do not get the opportunity to edit the file before compiling, which I think is essential per Yardie's guide.

Thanks for making this guide Yardie! It has proven to be very useful so far on my new Studio XPS. I ran the install for iAtkos v5 and it installed, but I'm getting the "waiting for root device" error upon first reboot. Going to try the obvious first by moving the HDD onto the primary SATA port.

Maybe tomorrow or Thursday I will see if I can get the ALC888 and Intel 82567 network interface working.

Going to try the obvious first by moving the HDD onto the primary SATA port.

Well, that didn't work, but changing the ACHI mode from ATA to RAID did the trick.

One recommendation that I would make is the following:

After installing the iAtkos build, run the DSDT patcher from Single User mode before attempting to boot into a GUI. As Yardie mentioned in the update, it will save you time when you have to reboot the computer. Here's what I did:

1. 1. Unzip the DSDT Patcher onto a USB key (FAT recommended), remove from PC.
  2. 2. Boot into your iAtkos build and enter "-s" at the boot prompt.
  3. 3. Follow the instructions on screen to mount your root partition as writable
  4. 4. Once you have the root prompt, type "/dev/disk" and press tab. This will list out our physical drives and their partitions
  5. 5. Press esc, get back to the prompt and insert the USB key.
  6. 6. Type "/dev/disk" and press TAB again. The new device that shows up *should* be your USB Key
  7. 7. Make a temporary mount point at /Volumes/USB by typing "mkdir /Volumes/USB"
  8. 8. Mount the usb key at the directory in the previous step with the command "/sbin/mount_msdos /dev/diskXsY /Volumes/USB" (replace X and Y with your USB disk and partition, respectively.
  9. 9. Follow Yardie's updated instructions for running the DSDT Patcher.

Boot time increased greatly without having to suffer through 8 minutes of waiting for the mDNS issue to pass. My first successful boot resulted in a garbled screen (didn't select the Natit install from iatkos DVD), so I will look at working that issue the same day I work on installing the retail DVD onto my other partition.

If you get a garbled screen download the installer from the graphics section in my guide. I also had the garbled screen at one point but restarted so many times I forgot when in the process it had occured. After I got the screen working I used EFIstudio to create my efi string. I also replaced all occurrences of Lamna with Megalodon and LamnaParent with MegalodonParent. Removed my Natit.kext and was booted in with great success.

BTW my first official boot into OSX had the welcome video, which never happened for me before so I was able to get QE/CI setup before creating my account. There was no sound so that sorta sucked.

Thanks for this guide, it has gotten me started on my first Hackintosh. A few questions:

I gotten to the point where I am through the first reboot and I am installing the 10.5.6 update - for the 3rd time today. Something happens in the process of updating the kexts, installing the voodoo kernel, etc. and my system will not boot. Is the order you have those steps the best order to do things in? Also, when all is said and done, what resolution are you able to run in?

Keep up the good work!

Link to the DSDT Patcher - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...topic=133683%22

Do NOT use the GUI patcher as you do not get the opportunity to edit the file before compiling, which I think is essential per Yardie's guide.

Sorry if my guide has gotten confusing but it took a lot of trial and error so some things could be redone more efficiently (ie make the DSDT.aml while in the iATkos and other stuff.)

If I'm reading you write you should install the OS X retail and then do the update. There shouldn't need to be a reboot until all kexts, kernels, and plists are in place.

In summary, I would install iAtkos and get that running. I don't have any graphic kexts installed from the iAtkos DVD. While in iAtkos run the Leopard installer and select your Vanilla partition as the destination. This should run really quick. Then install the Combo update. Next download the zipped kexts from me and DD. Download the PC_EFIv9, and if you are using the ATI 3650 download the installer for that as well.

Copy the Voodoo mach_kernel to the root of Vanilla. Put the kexts I include into the Extensions folder.

Run the PC_EFIv9 installer to set Vanilla as the default drive.

Run the ATI 3650 Package to get special kexts for the 3650 and Natit.kext.

Put the DSDT.aml file into the root of Vanilla

Put the com.apple.Boot.plist into /Volumes/Vanilla*/Library/Preferences/SystemCofiguration

Reboot

You should be in without trouble if not you'll get the system messages as it loads.

Also, if graphics continue to be a problem boot with the -x flag to start in safemode.

I am able to get all resolutions on two LCDs with QE/CI on both.

If you get a garbled screen download the installer from the graphics section in my guide. I also had the garbled screen at one point but restarted so many times I forgot when in the process it had occured. After I got the screen working I used EFIstudio to create my efi string. I also replaced all occurrences of Lamna with Megalodon and LamnaParent with MegalodonParent. Removed my Natit.kext and was booted in with great success.

BTW my first official boot into OSX had the welcome video, which never happened for me before so I was able to get QE/CI setup before creating my account. There was no sound so that sorta sucked.

When you say you replaced all occurrances of Lamna with Megalodon and LamnaParent with MegalodonParent, what do you mean? I followed your steps up until installing the ATI package and I was working great (native res), but no CI / QE, so I decided to install the ATI driver package, rebooted and it hung at some point. I then moved the Natit.kext and I was able to boot, however now my res is hosed.

The updates to the main post were greatly appreciated, as well as the kext package download! Thanks again! if sound gets working, i may be able to ditch windows again.

I tried to follow your directions, but get a kernel panic on boot after installing the retail install and placing your .kext files into the extensions folder. The loader complains about not being able to load the ACPI driver. Am I supposed to use just your .kext files or the files included DD's package? Or a combination of both?

I used the voodoo kernel included in DD's package.

The iAtkos install worked fine.

I tried to follow your directions, but get a kernel panic on boot after installing the retail install and placing your .kext files into the extensions folder. The loader complains about not being able to load the ACPI driver. Am I supposed to use just your .kext files or the files included DD's package? Or a combination of both?

I used the voodoo kernel included in DD's package.

The iAtkos install worked fine.

You'll want to use my Kexts, com.apple.Boot.plist, and DSDT.aml. The voodoo kernel can be downloaded from google code and is included in DD's package. If you get a panic on the ACPI it probably means you are loading the Apple ACPI kext instead of the modified kext.

Make sure to delete the Extensions.mkext or use -f boot flag at the chameleon prompt.

When you say you replaced all occurrances of Lamna with Megalodon and LamnaParent with MegalodonParent, what do you mean? I followed your steps up until installing the ATI package and I was working great (native res), but no CI / QE, so I decided to install the ATI driver package, rebooted and it hung at some point. I then moved the Natit.kext and I was able to boot, however now my res is hosed.

The updates to the main post were greatly appreciated, as well as the kext package download! Thanks again! if sound gets working, i may be able to ditch windows again.

This is for the EFI strings in the com.apple.Boot.plist. I've done the work of including an EFI with graphics for the 3650, Ethernet and HD Audio. You can decode the string using EFIStudio if you would like to make changes. check the zip file I have attached in the first post.

You'll want to use my Kexts, com.apple.Boot.plist, and DSDT.aml. The voodoo kernel can be downloaded from google code and is included in DD's package. If you get a panic on the ACPI it probably means you are loading the Apple ACPI kext instead of the modified kext.

Make sure to delete the Extensions.mkext or use -f boot flag at the chameleon prompt.

This is for the EFI strings in the com.apple.Boot.plist. I've done the work of including an EFI with graphics for the 3650, Ethernet and HD Audio. You can decode the string using EFIStudio if you would like to make changes. check the zip file I have attached in the first post.

I tried installing the HD 3650 drivers from here - http://radeonhd.ircd.dk/index.php?dlid=25 - however everytime I install, I end up with Natit.kext which hangs the system and a copy of ATINDRV.kext that is not secured properly that I have to adjust. I am using the com.apple.Boot.plist that you provided. Any ideas?

I got it working. I had everything installed correctly. However, my permissions were messed up.

Everything appears OK except my RAM is clocked at 533Mhz instead of 800Mhz, and my ATI Radeon 3450 is obviously not recognized.

The only software trouble I've had appears to be related to the graphics card (Apple's MPEG-2 codec wouldn't install and iPhoto quits when trying to edit or export photos).

I tried installing the HD 3650 drivers from here - http://radeonhd.ircd.dk/index.php?dlid=25 - however everytime I install, I end up with Natit.kext which hangs the system and a copy of ATINDRV.kext that is not secured properly that I have to adjust. I am using the com.apple.Boot.plist that you provided. Any ideas?

Yeah, so I figured out the problem - I have a 3450, not a 3650, which does not have a driver for it, however it will run native resolution.

Ordering one of these today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130395

I haven't had too much time to mess around with my config last week. I ended up taking the DD stuff and copying your stuff over it, then applying the differences. The issue I'm running into is that I get stuck at the mDNS responder on the retail install with the proper dsdt.aml and it won't get past that point (after letting it sit like that for a few hours).

In your journeys have you tried to do (or considered doing) a plain vanilla install using the boot-132 method and booting kexts from EFIs?

If time allows I will attempt to make a boot-132 with the files in the zip that you have provided. My goal is to perform a retail install without doing it from a (fill in the blank) distro install. A modified boot-132 will be uploaded if I am successful. I will proceed to move the kexts and kernel into the EFI partition and, with some luck, I'll be able to boot to a usable OSX with your kexts in the EFI partition.

EDIT:

I plan on getting the kexts for all of the on-board devices working (Yardie, the network one works great, thanks! It's installed it on the iAtkos partition). Card-specific video card drivers will be left out. Integrating the pinouts that Yardie provided into the audio kexts will be my last step.

Yardie, thanks for making this guide. I was hoping that somebody would make one for my exact PC as I am new to this and you have...

I would like to ask for clarification on something though. I followed the instructions up until the point where iAtkos has been installed. I chose the recomended customisations and the install process completes without a problem. It then reboot and after the expected 5+ mins of loading the screen appears totally scrambled.

I read the other posts here and it said you got past the screen scrambling issue using the .pkg file from link you posted, but as I cant get iatkos to boot with graphics I don't know what to do.

I have tried with -x and this made no difference. Then I reinstalled iatkos and chose the graphics update and ati packages just in case, but it didn't work either.

I guess as we all have the same PC I must be doing something wrong, but I can't see what from the guide.

Thanks for any help.

If I change my video card from the ATI 3850 (which is currently working without QE) to an NVIDIA 9800GT (that's compatible using NVinject 2.0), do I have to do anything besides install the driver and correct permissions?

Do I need to edit the com.apple.boot.plist or anything?

If I change my video card from the ATI 3850 (which is currently working without QE) to an NVIDIA 9800GT (that's compatible using NVinject 2.0), do I have to do anything besides install the driver and correct permissions?

Do I need to edit the com.apple.boot.plist or anything?

I recently installed a 9500 GT 1 GB and under video I only chose the graphics update and Natit universal. First boot hung for a while, so I did a hard reboot. After that I booted into the welcome video :angel:

The issue I'm running into is that I get stuck at the mDNS responder on the retail install with the proper dsdt.aml and it won't get past that point (after letting it sit like that for a few hours).

That is exactly the same problem I have. I follow the guide, but having installed everything and run the boot loader install pointing it to my retail install then trying to rebooting I get either a hfs+ partition error or it just hangs at the mDNS (even over night).

Another issue I had is that iAtkos just wouldn't work at all with my PC it just booted with totally scrambled graphics so I had to use Kalyway instead, but after that I followed the guide exactly.

If anyone knows how to get this to work or what I need to do then please let me know.

I was also having some pains getting the proper ATI Kexts to load. I used a different installer for the graphics card - my 3650 card only has 256 MB, so I am assuming the lastExile package has the settings for only the 512 MB card. To make a long story short, I got the video working properly with QE/CI on my vanilla partition. To utilize the kext I have provided, do the following:

Copy out your ATINDRV.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Drop in the ATY_Megalodon.kext into the Contents/Plugins of the ATINDRV.kext, then use KextHelper or osx86tools to install the revised ATINDRV.kext file. If this doesn't work for you, I will upload all my ATI*.kext files.

You can remove the Natit.kext file if you are using Yardie's com.apple.Boot.plist For audio, however, the EFI strings do not work. I still need to use the ALCInject.kext to get the Sound icon and ports available.

Haven't messed around with sound too much but I have included the kexts for AppleHDA and ALCinject. I used the codec file provided by Yardie in conjunction with the AppleHDAPatcher utility to patch the AppleHDA file. I finally got the sound icon to appear in the bar up top. I get the sound panel to show Line Out, Headphone Line Out, and Digital Line out. However, I do not get any sound output. I can only assume this is where those pinout files come into play.

Sound.zip

ATY_Megalodon.kext.zip

I would like to ask for clarification on something though. I followed the instructions up until the point where iAtkos has been installed. I chose the recomended customisations and the install process completes without a problem. It then reboot and after the expected 5+ mins of loading the screen appears totally scrambled.

I read the other posts here and it said you got past the screen scrambling issue using the .pkg file from link you posted, but as I cant get iatkos to boot with graphics I don't know what to do.

Hi everybody and thanks for the guide. I'm in the same situation as Blanks. I followed the intructions but when partitioning I choosed to use mbr instead of GPT, does this makes any difference? is mandatory to use GPT?

If I try to boot with -v option, the last line before the screen gets scrambled is: "timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce"

What I'm doing wrong?

I am probably retarded, but when I run some of the processes, they are being added to the small partition (you call yours failsafe).

For example, when I run dsdt, it adds the aml file to the / (which is my failsafe) rather than /Volumes/Vanilla.

When I tried to boot into Vanilla, it crashes right away.

Here's what I did. Perhaps I am a little off.

I installed iAtkos.

I loaded my disc into the dvd. I am not using a traditional retail, but one from my MBP-2008.

The OS installs just fine.

I then run the combo updater

I backup the S/L/E folder

I install DD kexts.

I install Yardies over DDs (meaning I get Yardie's updates over DD's)

I run the bootloader.

I copied the voodoo kernel (it is much smaller than the normal kernels)

I run dsdt

I reboot.

I crash.

I can't get into single user, verbose flashes very quickly and I can't see what it says.

I tried -x for failsafe, but it is hanging.

Thoughts?

I am probably retarded, but when I run some of the processes, they are being added to the small partition (you call yours failsafe).

For example, when I run dsdt, it adds the aml file to the / (which is my failsafe) rather than /Volumes/Vanilla.

When I tried to boot into Vanilla, it crashes right away.

Here's what I did. Perhaps I am a little off.

I installed iAtkos.

I loaded my disc into the dvd. I am not using a traditional retail, but one from my MBP-2008.

The OS installs just fine.

I then run the combo updater

I backup the S/L/E folder

I install DD kexts.

I install Yardies over DDs (meaning I get Yardie's updates over DD's)

I run the bootloader.

I copied the voodoo kernel (it is much smaller than the normal kernels)

I run dsdt

I reboot.

I crash.

I can't get into single user, verbose flashes very quickly and I can't see what it says.

I tried -x for failsafe, but it is hanging.

Thoughts?

Have you copied the com.apple.Boot.plist? In this file you point your System to to the new (voodoo) kernel.

By default Boot.plist points to mach_kernel, but it should be mach_kernel.voodoo. Otherwise you'll get a kernel panic right at the start.

That's why you can't even get into "-s mode".

Success for me!

Followed Yardies guide step by step, at some points the Paths are a little bit off but otherwise its quite nice!

Since i'm not using the Ati 3650 i had to use my own modified Boot.plist and had to install the new n7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg.

Only thing not working is onboard-sound, but that doesn't matter since i'm using a USB-Soundcard anyway.

System:

Dell XPS Studio

6GB

Ati 4850 (QE/CI)

2*500GB WD green

Have you copied the com.apple.Boot.plist? In this file you point your System to to the new (voodoo) kernel.

By default Boot.plist points to mach_kernel, but it should be mach_kernel.voodoo. Otherwise you'll get a kernel panic right at the start.

That's why you can't even get into "-s mode".

Success for me!

Followed Yardies guide step by step, at some points the Paths are a little bit off but otherwise its quite nice!

Since i'm not using the Ati 3650 i had to use my own modified Boot.plist and had to install the new n7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg.

Only thing not working is onboard-sound, but that doesn't matter since i'm using a USB-Soundcard anyway.

System:

Dell XPS Studio

6GB

Ati 4850 (QE/CI)

2*500GB WD green

Well, I just renamed the kernel from vooodoo to mach_kernel.

Also, where did you get the drivers? I did a search for them and couldn't find a package called n7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg.

I will try to run through it again this morning.

Thanks.

Which USB Soundcard are you using? I would like to get one because I am at a standstill trying to get the onboard sound working.

Are you satisfied with the 4850 in OSX? I have been considering upgrading the one that came with my computer after I found out that the 48x0 will be officially supported (netkas).

@chipset

The com.apple.Boot.plist that Yardie gave us has the kernel as mach_kernel.voodoo . When you rename the file from voodoo, make sure you name it mach_kernel.voodoo OR change the kernel name in the com.apple.Boot.plist file to voodoo. It'll make it much easier when upgrading your computer to 10.5.7 because when you do that, if Apple made changes to the kernel, the file named mach_kernel will get overwritten with the Apple kernel. If you leave it as voodoo or mach_kernel.voodoo, you can avoid reinstalling the voodoo kernel.

For the video drivers, check out this post on netkas.org. Comment number 15 has links to rapidshare for drivers.