Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Windows 7 x64 and External Dongles...

El Massman

13 posts in this topic

i've searched the internet but all i've found is a way to get the mighty mouse to work on a real mac. the mighty mouse doesn't connect using the default windows drivers. you need to manually select to use the apple ones. this is all well and good except the aren't shown as available on the manufacturers list. does anyone know if they would work with an external bluetooth dongle and if so where to get hold of them? sould someone PM them to me please? and if not, does anyone have a solution? the mouse works fine under leopard. i can't be the only one using a bluetooth mighty mouse with external bluetooth.

many thanks,

Mass

I use the Apple Mighty Mouse Bluetooth every day on my Laptop in Windows Vista x64.

I just put the mouse in discovery mode and the Bluetooth stack on the laptop started using it right away.

I'm using it right now actually. I am not using any external dongles or anything like that.

I think he's saying he wants to use the Mighty mouse in a normal PC. Which is not possible.

it's working fine in leo on a normal pc, i just can't get it to connect under windows 7 which is a known issue requiring the apple bluetooth drivers. was just wondering if anyone could post them so i can try or can suggest an alternative method?

thanks

That is really odd because I use them on a "normal pc"

I didn't need any apple drivers that I know of.

I turned on the Mighty Mouse and in Vista x64 I did a search for Bluetooth devices and it found it right away and asked for a passkey that I believe was 0000 for the mighty mouse and it worked just fine as a 3 button scrolling mouse.

So I don't see why anyone is having issues with the Mighty Mouse.

It works on the Mac Pro in OS X Leo/Snow Leo and Vista x64 and XP SP3.

It also works on the Toshiba Laptop under Vista x64 and under OSx86 Leo.

Not using any dongles, it is using the built in bluetooth hardware in both devices.

If you must use an external dongle then I would recommend finding one that is using the same chipset as the real mac does.

Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio

That is the listed manufacturer inside of OS X on the Mac Pro and it is the same one that shows up on the Laptop under OSx86.

• 2 months later...

here's how to fix it;1. Turn on your mouse and then go to 'Add Bluetooth Device' under Control Panel.

2. Wait until Windows detects your mouse.

3. Now, do not just go and click ‘connect’ .

4. Use another USB mouse and right click on the Mighty Mouse iconand go to 'properties' -> 'services' Tab.

5. Give Windows some timeto detect the services. Now it will list some HID services.

6. Just check the box and click 'Apply'. This will start installing the driver and magically the wireless Mighty Mouse starts working.

7. Disconnect the USB mouse and you can use the wireless mouse.

you may wont to change the scroll setting, as out of the box it's a bit too fast. try changing it to '1'.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
here's how to fix it;

1. Turn on your mouse and then go to 'Add Bluetooth Device' under Control Panel.

3. Now, do not just go and click ‘connect’ .

4. Use another USB mouse and right click on the Mighty Mouse iconand go to 'properties' -> 'services' Tab.

5. Give Windows some timeto detect the services. Now it will list some HID services.

6. Just check the box and click 'Apply'. This will start installing the driver and magically the wireless Mighty Mouse starts working.

you may wont to change the scroll setting, as out of the box it's a bit too fast. try changing it to '1'.

Perfect instructions, many kudos to you. Getting it working on XP, Vista, OSX and everything was too easy, Windows 7 had me stumped!

Thanks

Brett

• 1 month later...

I know this is not a windows 7 issue but maybe some one knows how to fix the XPSP3 issue I'm having with bootcamp.

I am a lefty. So on the OSX ( snow leopard) side I have my primary and secondary buttons switched. So I would like to have it the same way in XPSP3. I have tried pairing with the 0000 pairing code, letting windows choose, and with no pass code. Nothing works.

First of all, after it pairs, I get a mouse that has its standard setup, except that the right click (secondary button) doesn't always work. Then I go into the cpanel mouse settings and I click switch buttons and it gets worse. Both buttons become secondary buttons( right click). Its driving me crazy... the track pad works fine the whole time before and after the button switching.

I am also having a problem with the wireless apple keyboard. I can't get it to pair up and stay. It keeps getting erased.

By the way, while I'm pairing with both hardware items, this happens : After choosing how I'd like to pair the hardware item (either - no pass code, let windows choose my pass corde, etc), I then click next. It immediately asks me to to input ( mouse obv i cant) the pass code on the wireless item, but within a nano second it jumps to straight to the finish window (within the bluetooth wizard). On the task bar it tells me "harware.... successful" , but then the hardware wizard pops up asking me to connect to the internet : I 've tried canceling, i've tried one time, i've tried never and clicked through an it will load the hid driver for both and then it tells me "harware.... successful" again.

Yet nothing works the mouse has issues and the keyboard isn't paired!!!!

Please help,

A very frustrated mac user that wishes the world would use mac and not pcs.....

• 1 month later...
i've searched the internet but all i've found is a way to get the mighty mouse to work on a real mac. the mighty mouse doesn't connect using the default windows drivers. you need to manually select to use the apple ones. this is all well and good except the aren't shown as available on the manufacturers list. does anyone know if they would work with an external bluetooth dongle and if so where to get hold of them? sould someone PM them to me please? and if not, does anyone have a solution? the mouse works fine under leopard. i can't be the only one using a bluetooth mighty mouse with external bluetooth.

many thanks,

Mass

I have a magic mouse (doesn't have a scroll ball) but uses bluetooth via Trust 2400p dongle

It does work in Windows 7 but I installed the windows vista driver that came with the dongle.

I then use it as a HID compliant mouse - can't recall if it is shown as Mighty or Magic mouse.

Obviously there isn't a driver for the finger scrolling yet so that doesn't work yet

steve

• 1 month later...
here's how to fix it;1. Turn on your mouse and then go to 'Add Bluetooth Device' under Control Panel.

3. Now, do not just go and click 'connect' .

I'm totally amazed how you figured this out! I've been all over the internet the last couple of days trying to get my Mighty Mouse to work with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and Windows 7 on my MacBook. It works perfectly now. I followed your procedure on the Snow Leopard side of my MacBook to get it to work on the Snow Leopard partition after I followed it on the Windows 7 partition. Thank you sooo much!!!! For those who have wireless keyboards, do you think if they attached a wired keyboard to their Mac's that the same procedure would work? I am most appreciative.

• 1 year later...