[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

ALRIGHT! i just met Galaxy ( the Slimbuild author ) in irc, and it told me that i had to (tsk, tsk) :P;) press ESC AFTER F8 (which brings the hex menu for the bios boot drive ) and voila! no more KP!

so im booting with the slimbuild iso now, i'll update in a few minutes about progress

UPDATE: beachball defeated too!, which brings me to great, great news for all of you:

post-338250-1231593433_thumb.jpg

i created my own slimbuild boot (check this) without removing seatbelt.kext and AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext so it means we are back on the original track!

the link to the iso is: http://www.badongo.com/file/12836466

enjoy!

UPDATE:LAN and Graphis issue resolved! Just needed to update to 10.5.6 before doing those driver installations!

well actually since I'm not using LAN, I always assumed that since it's showing in the Preferences, even with "LAN cable not connected", it was working.

Umm....?

So, we don't have any prove that LAN is working? Could you just try it and plug a cable in?

i created my own slimbuild boot (check this) without removing seatbelt.kext and AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext so it means we are back on the original track!

Great, although I think it shouldn't make any difference as long as those are added to EFI afterwards.

Hurry up and we can work on the non-proved-working-LAN-problem :P

See ya...

@Frank: I'll try that in a minute. Another thing: add the System.kext from the XNU pack to the EFI partition, that might be why your USB is not working.

@lursc: Great! One question though: which version of the retail DVD are you installing? the seatbelt.kext comes from version 10.5.5, and that's the reason why it probably doesn't work with 10.5.4 DVD's. Wait, press ESC after F8?? I don't remember having to do that. Is it my memory gone or is it a difference between systems? Just to know so that I can update the guide. So can anybody confirm one or the other?

Oh and I update the guide with the part regarding the EFI setup, and uploaded a more complete EFI_pack, so you should be using the new version.

-Update-

Can't test my LAN right now, our wireless router serves a few people and I can't access it for the moment. But I will test my LAN as soon as I have the chance.

@lursc: Great! One question though: which version of the retail DVD are you installing? the seatbelt.kext comes from version 10.5.5, and that's the reason why it probably doesn't work with 10.5.4 DVD's.

weird enough, but my retail is 10.5.4, so whatever reason it wasn't working, that wasn't it

Wait, press ESC after F8?? I don't remember having to do that. Is it my memory gone or is it a difference between systems? Just to know so that I can update the guide. So can anybody confirm one or the other?

i think this is a peculiarity of the slimbuild-generated iso/img, afaik you didn't created your iso with it

this is the Slimbuild -related page http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129897 (its in spanish)

update: ok i formatted the HDD as GPT, first partition i formatted as MSDOS (for windows) and the second Mac OS case sensitive, Journaled. installation went smoothly until the end:

post-338250-1231600665_thumb.jpg

but i click restart, put again the efi boot disc,

f8 THEN ESC ;) then i booted with:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=24 -v -f rd=disk0s3 (i used 24 in the first boot to install, so it should be ok now too right?)

and i get this KP:

post-338250-1231600802_thumb.jpg

Im being told on irc that most likely this problem is caused by the video card (nvidia 9800gt 1gb), so the question is:

this is something i can fix by somehow (not really sure how) booting into a terminal and manually adding stuff or,

i have to patch the slimbuild iso and reinstall?

i'm assuming the later, but anyways, with all the problems, this is still great progress!

update: realityiswhere help me with the KP thing, basically i had to delete Geforce.kext and NVDAResman.kext, now

i finally booted into the OS :-)

Ok, im trying to regenerate the right dsdt.aml

i Double clicked on DSDT Patcher from finder, it opened a terminal, i pressed 0, operation completed, whetever, a dsdt.aml its on the folder

(No debug folder, much less a dsdt.dsl)

But doing ./DSDT Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl

DOES generate them

i edited dsdt.dsl with the vi, its that ok?

the dsdt.dsl its stripped from all the alias lines,

then i do again:

./DSDT Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl

then i check files created by doing ls -ltah; dsdt.dat and dsdt.dsl are recreated but NOT dsdt.aml. In fact dsdt.dsl is overwritten and its again with all the Alias!

If it didn't create the Debug folder with all it's content there must be something wrong... maybe it can't write to the folder because of some wrong permissions? Does it give you any error?

Anyway, the second time you have to type ./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl, don't forget the backslash!

hmm, i see what is happening; when i double click, it opens a terminal, and if i don't press inmediately the key as it says, but i go to the other terminal and do ls -ltah, i see the files dsdt.dat , dsdt.dsl , dsdt_fixed.txt and rtc_fixed.dsl, but they are all created on the same folder as the app, not into a Debug folder..

if i go back to the terminal opened by the app, and click a key, it sort of compiles it, and removes them again

With both Boot 132 (v3 and the *fixed* one), and I get this error while loading up the installer disk:

ATS Persistent Store - Switching to old FODB cache code

It stalls there indefinitely (+3 hours).

Same hardware with an Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB card. Any ideas??

Thanks~!

Anyone tried getting this thingy running on RAID? Haven't had any success so far...

are you sure its possible? what i've heard is that intel RAID won't work on osx86

@nayr14, no idea, i haven't seen that problem. What BIOS version are you using? if you don't know, go to the Bios->system information

couple of issues;

first, it turned out i was using an old version of DSDT patcher. When i used latest one (1.0.1e) it DOES create the Debug folder, and that went smoothly as the recipe says. I then

sudo cp ./dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml

then i rebooted, enabled HT and all cores on bios, and i got this:

post-338250-1231639220_thumb.jpg

second issue; when i installed, supposedly the best option for dual booting with windows was GPT, but on the windows installer i get this error on asking to install in the NTFS partition:

Setup cannot install to the selected Partition

you can only install to GPT disks on IA 64 machines and MBR disks on x-86 machines.

You can only upgrade installations on GPT disk on IA 64 machines and MBR disks on x-86 machines

so, it means that if i want to multi boot, i'll likely have to reformat everything as MBR... damn it!

update: when i reinstall, i'll install 10.5.5 update first. I'm getting lots of problems otherwise (for example, usb and FW drives won't mount when i plug them after boot, only are recognized if they are plugged during boot, supposedly this is by incompatible System.kext? )

also, now i'm stuck at a weird loop; leopard installer says that it won't install in a partition unless the disk it belongs is formatted as GUID Partition table, so what is going on? and xp x64 says that it won't install on a GPT, so what the heck i'm supposed to do to break this cyclical loop of dumbness? how people trick the leopard installer into installing itself in a MBR partition??

Wait, press ESC after F8?? I don't remember having to do that. Is it my memory gone or is it a difference between systems? Just to know so that I can update the guide. So can anybody confirm one or the other?

It is not so much a change in order, but an additional [F8]. This is how step C.2. goes for me.

2. Press [F8] to get the Darwin prompt to appear, press [ESC], eject the CD and put Mac OS X Leopard Retail DVD, wait about 10 seconds (till the green light stops blinking), press [ENTER] and then [F8].

-------------------------

Now I'm stuck on an "still waiting for root device" error, but I think that has to do with me having an IDE DVD drive and not a SATA DVD drive.

I am also using the 10.5.4 version of Leopard (as linked in the Guide) since that is the only standalone version you can buy from Apple. I hope this method works with 10.5.4 and doesn't require 10.5.5. I really want to do a vanilla install.

@Frank: Motherboard RAID won't work, there are no drivers for Mac, AFAIK. I tried software RAID several times (the one you can activate in hte Disk Utility), but it would always fail when waiting for RAID to come online..., and I tried everything i could even from command line. So in the end I decided to go with the Time Machine. I never got any helpful log, so I'm unable even to find where the problem is. You can give it a try, maybe it will work for you.

@lurc: Before you reboot with 4 cores + HT you must install the EFI partition boot loader and copy your DSDT.aml there, or else it won't work. I don't know if you did it already, but you also have to specify busratio=24 instead of busratio=20 since you have the 965.

@Nayr: Try adding -x at the boot prompt to exclude the graphic card in safe mode, and see if it goes through that way.

So somebody doesn't get to the darwin prompt unless they press F8, I'll add this to the guide as well.

@Frank: Motherboard RAID won't work, there are no drivers for Mac, AFAIK. I tried software RAID several times (the one you can activate in hte Disk Utility), but it would always fail when waiting for RAID to come online..., and I tried everything i could even from command line. So in the end I decided to go with the Time Machine. I never got any helpful log, so I'm unable even to find where the problem is. You can give it a try, maybe it will work for you.

You can fix the "Waiting for RAID to come online" error by having none of the disks of the raid array at /dev/disk0. I cloned the image to the RAID partition, but on boot the bootloader doesn't see the RAID drive. Seems I need to load a driver on EFI before that, but don't know which.

Maybe we have more luck using the MARVELL SAS RAID Storage Controller? Any drivers out there?

UPDATE: Got RAID0 working, but still has to boot from another EFI partition

UPDATE: Seems like it's working now without external EFI partition

I'm finished :P

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Now I have OS X Retail Installation with EFI on i7-920 at 4x4Ghz with all Cores and HT working on a Software RAID0 with 2xGigabit LAN, Stereo-Audio, 9800GTX+ (with hardware-acceleration and dual-monitor) and VMWare-compatibility.

I just followed the guide minus these exeptions:

• used Asus P6T Deluxe Boot-132 v3 (spinning beachball freeze just before installation otherwise)
  • used disk0s2 instead of disk0s3 at "rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk[n]s3" (because I installed from OS X-backup-DVD, got "Still waiting for root device" otherwise)
  • updated to 10.5.6 via USB-stick immediately after DSDT/EFI and before driver installation (only audio would work otherwise and LAN and video cause freezings, when not freezing LAN would always show "Cable not connected")
  • installed XNU Voodoo-Kernel 9.5.0 Release 1.0 Revision A and placed kernel + System.kext on EFI (VMWare would KP otherwise)

That's it :D

To get RAID-0 running I just

• created a RAID-array in diskutility and rebooted on failure "RAID could not be found" and tried again (worked for me several times now)
  • cloned my OS X installation to the new RAID-drive via SuperDuper
  • created EFI partition on the first RAID-slice (/dev/diskXs1)
  • updated new EFI partitions boot.plist kernel-flag "boot-uuid=" with the uuid of the raid-drive
  • added the missing extensions to new EFI from /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Now it get's a little bit strange:

• created a second EFI partition on the first RAID-slice at /dev/diskXs3 ("Apple Boot OS X")
  • cloned the first EFI partition to the second one

Don't really now why the second is needed, but otherwise the bootloader doesn't see any partition to boot (RAID-drive is not shown for whatever reason) :P

And finally:

• hide the second EFI partition from mounting by creating corresponding /etc/fstab-entry

Again, thanks to MJ for his work and the great support! :rolleyes:

ok, solved the dual boot with xp x64 issue this way:

on disk utility, formatted the disk with GPT scheme, made last partition of type ms-dos(FAT) (otherwise it won't work, no idea what this sorcery works, but its like this, at least for me)

boot on windows cd, install on that partition (choose format as ntfs, not convert to ntfs) those options sound similar, but they can't be more different. No idea why either

go back to leopard and install on any partition you did for it (can be anything except the last one, which has to be for windows xp x64)

i had the bad idea to run the 10.5.5 update package, and now it's stuck before booting in gui, there is a sandbox_init error could not set mach lookup policy for service....

oh well

update: basically what i found out is also reported here:

http://www.mlvision.com.au/mediawiki/index..._and_Windows_XP

I'm finished :censored2:

GREAT NEWS!!!

Strange that you have to do both things... Wasn't installing the XNU package enough for VMWare?

• created a RAID-array in diskutility and rebooted on failure "RAID could not be found" and tried again (worked for me several times now)

I'm not sure I understood :wacko:. So you created the array and it gave you the "RAID could not be found" error, then you rebooted, created it again and it worked? Any reason for this? Even though I'm trying a RAID1, your experience might be very helpful! Or maybe I'll change my mind and do a RAID0 as well.

Can you set more then one partition on a RAID0?

I bought a Leopard Install disk today and I've been trying to boot from the Slimbuild using the first set of remarks and it does not boot to the leopard install disk. It comes up saying

"Attempting to Determine CPU multiplier"

"Determined CPU: FSB multiplier to be 0"

Says 0 but makes no sense... the kernel as shipped by apple will not support this and will cause the machine to reboot immediatly... Press y to continue or crt, alt, del to reboot.

Any ideas? I set my bios like the guide specified is it possible to back up someones bios config?

Thanks,

Jake

Thanks MJ, that got me farther.

Now I'm stuck at the installer, it comes up with the language, I press next and it says "preparing for installation", loads for a few seconds, then appears to freeze.

I do overclock, so I will try tomorrow without any overclock.

-

Ryan

is it have to be in GPT format to install retail?

i have mbr already (from parted magic), but when i try to install,, it is said to be in GUID

If so, then i have to buy another hdd

coz XP is on my main hdd now..