New emulator with virtualizer for OSX x86

39 posts in this topic

An added note, the speed difference is HUGE when you click that "Enable VT" box. I tried it both enabled and disabled on my Pentium D, and the difference was night and day. Hell, it was fast without Enable VT, but when you turn it on it's mind boggling.

Wheres the Enable VT box?

Mhh the io performance is pathetic and you can't use a real partition, it's a nice try but it's still far to reach vmware level

Until Vmware doesn't exist for OSX, Q and parallels workstation are the only alternatives (for DOS/W95 also Bochs)

Im having trouble with my windows not getting internet. Im using the broadcom wifi with my HP pavilion zd8000. But Parallel only shows my realtek eth adapter. Any ideas on how to go wifi?

EDIT: For all who are wondering ( or dont know already for that matter ) the beta release of Parallels will not support Wifi bridging, but will in the future ( and the future looks bright if i may say so myself :( )

http://forum.parallels.com/thread69.html

VT-x is enabled by default on all processors that support it. Meaning all real Intel-based Macs (except MAYBE the Intel Core Solo?), and any other processors with the VT-x extension.

Maybe not, because on my mac mini intel core duo; when I open Task Manager I only see 1 CPU ...

Performances are also very poor, slow screen refresh, unable to run in fullscreen mode and damn there's

no vt enable box anywhere ... boot camp is much much faster (for now)

any clues for the cpu's ?

This is really strange, with the D915GUXL and Celeron I was able to use networking in both OS X and Windows simultaneously.

On a Asus P5LD2-VM and Pentium D 920, when I have networking enabled in Windows, it won't work in OS X.

Hmmmm ..

I'm actually doing a reinstall right now since the installation was transferred from the old hardware so ..

An added note, the speed difference is HUGE when you click that "Enable VT" box. I tried it both enabled and disabled on my Pentium D, and the difference was night and day. Hell, it was fast without Enable VT, but when you turn it on it's mind boggling.

Beta two takes care of the above problem with networking not working in OS X when the VM is running.

• 2 weeks later...

DrJägermeister's comment at the top of this thread, about using disk images from Qemu in Parallels, is the only comment I can find anywhere about using disk images from other systems in Qemu. I've experimented with it a little, but I haven't been able to get it to work, could I get a few details about it?

I have a disk image created by the basic QEMU, and it has a small file size, only 58MB, so I assume that's a growable image. It doesn't have any file extension. I also have .img files created by QemuX and Q, some small and some large. Which type of image have you had luck with? The large fixed-size images or the small growable ones? The file extension that Parallels uses is .hdd, which I've never seen on a Qemu file, but I assume that's not significant.

DrJägermeister's comment at the top of this thread, about using disk images from Qemu in Parallels, is the only comment I can find anywhere about using disk images from other systems in Qemu. I've experimented with it a little, but I haven't been able to get it to work, could I get a few details about it?

I have a disk image created by the basic QEMU, and it has a small file size, only 58MB, so I assume that's a growable image. It doesn't have any file extension. I also have .img files created by QemuX and Q, some small and some large. Which type of image have you had luck with? The large fixed-size images or the small growable ones? The file extension that Parallels uses is .hdd, which I've never seen on a Qemu file, but I assume that's not significant.

I use only raw images and not qcow (growable). Raw is faster.

For exemple I had a W98, 700MB raw image. I created a new VM in parallels (as raw) with 700MB size. Then I exchange the HD files and it worked.

When you exchange the HD files you have to rename your Qemu HD file with the parallels name (xxx.hdd)