The NVIDIA 9500GT Thread

Mrx33

454 posts in this topic

Thank`s for the answer, but i did it by myself yesterday :D )) I had a problem with recognition monitor because i had used DVI to VGA adaptor, then I reattached my monitor straightly to VGA port on my video card and it works for me :)

Is there a way you could test dual monitors with your card? I have it working with either DVI, DVI-VGA adapter, or straight VGA, but if I plug in 2nd monitor, it's black/blue or garbled.

I can confirm 10.5.5 kexts (that is, use the 10.5.5 OpenGL Framework.pkg, NVdarwin.kext, and NVIDIA 9000 Series Driver v2.pkg) work in PCWiz's iPC 10.5.6 with PPF1 and PPF2 applied.

I am making a custom install DVD using INSTAHackintosh and see if I can get it integrated. I will post the result if it is confirmed working.

Great job, Mrx33!

I can't test a second monitor, you would try to install the driver in the way I did and see.

For those who don't want to update to 10.5.6 you can simply download 10.5.6 update then you may unpack it and browse to the nvidia kext getting those and not the whole update.

I was speaking to those with 9500gt, anyway I don't think 7600gt use nvdanv50, but maybe you have to use NVDANV40Hal.kext driver, so try to edit that kext.... and maybe this is not the right thread for 7600gt :(

Ignore my signature. I'm replacing my 7600gt with the 9500gt

So I think you made something wrong, did you catch your NVCAP and dev ID?

Yeah, something isn't right. the 7600GT works fine in 10.5.6, so I'm sure it's not another conflict. My bet is on the fact that it is DVI/VGA/HDMI instead of the usual DVI/VGA/sVideo.

I can't test a second monitor, you would try to install the driver in the way I did and see.

For those who don't want to update to 10.5.6 you can simply download 10.5.6 update then you may unpack it and browse to the nvidia kext getting those and not the whole update.

Marionez, the way I installed the driver is from your earlier posts I believe. It doesn't seem to work with dual monitors correctly (either DVI or VGA port seperately work however). If I update to 10.5.6, will anything break? I have pretty much all the defaults selected in iatkos 5i, no video or network drivers, only ahci, vanilla kernal, etc. I installed the rest myself (with your and others helpful posts). Thanks!

Is there a way you could test dual monitors with your card? I have it working with either DVI, DVI-VGA adapter, or straight VGA, but if I plug in 2nd monitor, it's black/blue or garbled.

I`ll try to find 2nd monitor and will test it. My monitor is only VGA so it's not working with DVI-VGA adapter for me. I found new problem with my card. When I tried to start a game (COD4 Modern warfare) there`s no video just nothing at all, but I hear sounds of game, so game is working but no video. How can I repair it?

I`ll try to find 2nd monitor and will test it. My monitor is only VGA so it's not working with DVI-VGA adapter for me. I found new problem with my card. When I tried to start a game (COD4 Modern warfare) there`s no video just nothing at all, but I hear sounds of game, so game is working but no video. How can I repair it?

I'm starting to think I should have gone with a 8600GT instead of this 9500GT, but I needed a low profile one for the optiplex 755 Dell desktop.

Just did the 10.5.6 update on a pretty stock iatkos 5i install, and it all just worked, but still have same issues with video. Actually, it's worse now, as DVI port (with or w/o dvi-vga adapter) doesn't work at all anymore (if I get anything, it's black with mouse arrow on top left, with a second of my wallpaper, then blank). Only the VGA port works. I haven't edited any files after the update, but I'll try again tommorow.

retromacg3 are you QE/CI enabled?

If yes, this could be a good point to start.

I forgot to say I set to zero some IOprobescore in the Info.plist, anyway if you use those I posted (obviously with your device ID) it would work.

I want even say that I never never found a way to have 9500gt QE/CI enabled, before the 10.5.6 update, I was running an iDeneb 10.5.5 and there was no way, I tried everything.

I definetely can't know if it's only because of NVDAN* kext driver coming with 10.5.6, or something related to the whole update that changes everything, e.g. even some frameworks.

I forgot to say that quartzgl must be enabled from osx86tools, there's a button on the first sw panel.

I can't really test anything about the second monitor connected at the moment.

Anyway producing the efi string, you choose custom, set the memory, then osxtools says:

"Please choose your display output configuration (NVCAP)" I think you would work on that to reach a good second monitor, if you select CUSTOM, you can enter the NVCAP string from your nvidia card.

Have you tried this?

try this

if you card works on 10.5.6

extract the files from 9000 installer to a folder

call it old

look for the same files in 10.5.6 extensions folder

copy those files to a new folder

call it new

then when you install 10.5.5

instead of using 9000 installer

use kext helper to install all the files from the folder new

repair permissions

reboot

tell me if that works

This makes no sense. Why would I install 10.5.6 in order to downgrade to 10.5.5?

For 10.5.6

skip this

1 - INSTALL FRAMEWORK 10.5.5

2 - INSTALL NVIDIA 9000 SERIES.......

When do I stop skipping instructions? Are you just trying to freak me out? ;)

I'm sorry, I'm getting overwhelmed with poorly written instructions. I'm greatful for you taking the time to help me, but ARRGGHH!! :P

retromacg3 are you QE/CI enabled?

If yes, this could be a good point to start.

I forgot to say I set to zero some IOprobescore in the Info.plist, anyway if you use those I posted (obviously with your device ID) it would work.

I want even say that I never never found a way to have 9500gt QE/CI enabled, before the 10.5.6 update, I was running an iDeneb 10.5.5 and there was no way, I tried everything....

The way I got the QE/CI and QGL to work was with Mrx333's post here, on my iatkos 5i (10.5.5) install to a Dell Optiplex 755 SFF + 9500gt XFX 512mb card.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133989

I have all the files and notes saved on a thumbdrive, so I can go back and redo it if I mess up. Only problem is, I don't know what plist or file(s) to change, when to change permissions, etc. Why are there so many NVDANXXX kexts? Do I edit the plist where it is, or copy the kext folder out from System\Library\Extensions, edit, then reinstall with kext helper?

I feel like a monkey just imitating others work to get my card to work, w/o understanding how different kexts and drivers and efi strings work, I would really like to know HOW it works, then I can try stuff on my own - and help others out. Before I would have just installed some injector with a kalyway or brazilmac disc, but this I want to be a vanilla install, or as close as I can get.

Once dual monitors work, I have a retail OS X DVD to install with. I've used Mac OS 7-8, DOS 3.1 until Vista, and Linux/Sun/SCO Unix OS's. Have not dealt with OS X that much, so it's interesting to me. I have access to real Mac's all over the place, but this is just for learning really. Thank you all again, I will re-read and research your posts and attempt to learn more.

I will attach GPUz output here for my card, as well as what System Profiler sees under Graphics/Displays.

post-131994-1232040629_thumb.jpg

post-131994-1232040644_thumb.png

OMFG you are awesome! What you said about putting in my string didn't really work (actually could not use DVI port at all, all black or garbled and wrong resolution usually). What DID work was going to OSx86 Tools Utility - http://######.com/osx86tools/

Then click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag".

Then click GFX Strings along the top.

Choose Graphics Card drop down (Custom GeForce for me) - named "nVidia GeForce 9500 GT"

Choose 512MB

Then the screen where it says "Please choose your display output configuration (NVCAP)", I had to choose VGA / DVI-I. I tried all of them, but that one was the one that worked. I would have thought the Custom selection where you put in 0400000000000100060000000000000700000000 which was pulled straight from the bios via nibitor on a PC would have worked. On my xfx 9500 gt 512mb, which is a low profile, the VGA is on a ribbon cable, and the DVI is on the board. NVdarwin kext (info.plist) now shows 04000000 00000100 0E000000 00000007 00000000 which I tried before from krazubu's post. IOPCIMatch is exactly the same too. Weird.

So if this helps someone else get dual monitors working after getting QE/CI working on their 9500 GT, that will be great. Thanks everyone!

Now to figure out why the nic Intel 82566DM on the Optiplex 755 doesn't work in VMWARE. I think it's not even recognized as gigabit. I think the problem is, the driver that is available for it, is the 82566MM, which is for notebooks, and the DM is for desktops, which differ in power saving/speed reduction modes.

Attached is shot of system profile with two monitors connected (and it works with or without DVI-VGA adapter)

post-131994-1232053768_thumb.png

Great I'm happy... I think this is the best way to have nvidia cards working on OSX :(

I've not so much time in this period to write down a complete guide, and my English is too bad, but maybe I'll do something.

NVDANV50Hal.kext is the specific kext for 9500gt, other video cards series uses other kext NVDANV40Hal.kext etc etc (there's a thread about it), but we need only NVDANV50Hal.kext ever togher with NVDAResman.kext. I removed the other NVDANV*.kext, but this is not necessary.

I have a PNY 9500 gt 512mb. I've gone through the original process, but after restarting, when I try to change resolution the screen just goes blue. I can't see the cursor and no hotkeys work and I have to end up restarting. The profiler shows my card as unknown.Has anyone else resolved this 'blue screen' issue?

Thanks a lot for the solution, I recently changed my graphics card from a Geforce 6600 which got fried and changed to a Evga 9500 GT DDR II Dual DVI and its given me a reason again to install Mac Os X again.Great work.

I have a PNY 9500 gt 512mb. I've gone through the original process, but after restarting, when I try to change resolution the screen just goes blue. I can't see the cursor and no hotkeys work and I have to end up restarting. The profiler shows my card as unknown.Has anyone else resolved this 'blue screen' issue?

I had this problem as well. Your card has 2 DVI ports, so I believe the problem can be solved by connecting your display to the other port. I had this problem as well, and felt so stupid after 3 re-installs when I finally figured it out. Try the other port and it should work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

OK an update is out, please note Apple retired it due to some problems with 30 inches monitor connected so pay attention, it's just like a beta version, I suppose a new update will be out soon, anyway it's available here: http://download.cnet.com/Apple-NVIDIA-Grap...94_4-32707.html

Running it says this computer doesn't need this update...

I extracted with pacifist, hacked the info.plist installed with kexthelper, it works. I didn't touch any ioprobescore.

The new driver version is: 1.5.38.22 (17.3.5f18)

It was: 1.5.36.25 (17.3.5f14) (with latest 10.5.6 update)

I had some problem with the 1.5.36 driver and previous, with some flashplayer contents I had black flash screen, now I tried those sites and that problem disappeared :)