The NVIDIA 9500GT Thread

Mrx33

454 posts in this topic

I used this to get my xfx 9500gt 512mb to work (low profile, so it has one VGA and one DVI). It works fine with single monitors, but if I plug in the DVI, the VGA goes blank. It doesn't turn off, but nothing is on the screen. The DVI monitor seems to go blue, then pull up the desktop background image, and you can move the mouse, but nothing else. If you right click, it will bring up the normal dialog box, but it's very glitchy, and leaves traces of windows open in white, and has a white thick border all around it. Eventually it will freeze.

If you boot with the DVI and VGA plugged in, the DVI gets priority, and gets to your background, but no mouse or anything like the dock or upper bar. You cannot login in safe mode (boot: -x) as there is no login screen, and you can't do anything at all in normal mode.

The part name is "GF 9500GT 550M 512MB DDR2 DUAL TV DVI PCI-E" by XFX

System profiler states "Unknown NVIDIA Card", 512MB, Vendor 0x10de, Dev ID 0x0640, Rev ID, 0x00a1, ROM NVdarwin 1.2.3

CI, QE, and QGL are all supported. Display connector says "No display connected".

Works very well with one monitor, and even vmware fusion, and for that, I'm very excited, but I need it to extend to the 2nd monitor properly. If anyone can help, that would rock!

PS: This is on a Dell Optiplex 755 SFF C2D, using iAtkos 5i 10.5.5 on SATA everything.

do this go to displays

hit dectect display before you change your monitor to the next dvi port

or after you add you second monitor

now both dvi works

after you do this one time

you don't have to hit detect displays again

even if you change the monitor from the dvi

now is automatic detected

you only have to hit detect display again

only if you change your monitor for a diferent monitor

Thank you, however now it's worse! :) Now my DVI port does not work in single monitor or dual monitor mode. Whenever I hook up DVI (with or w/o vga adapter), it's either black, or my desktop background with a glitchy mouse and no content. Eventually it locks up.

I have two identical 1680x1050 Dell E207WFP monitors, one has both cables attached (DVI and VGA). I don't care if it's DVI, actually I prefer it not to be, so it looks identical to the one that has VGA only, since I don't have dual DVI on the XFX 9500gt.

I cannot do detect display's after hooking up the 2nd monitor, because it makes my first monitor go blank, and now nothing on the 2nd screen (it's on, but black screen).

here is a post I accidentally made in the Genius bar, while researching the sticky dual monitor thread. It should be deleted from there soon.

"I'm confused as to what I need to do to put in the nvcap string to my system. (Where does it go, do I use a GUI utility or hand edit a file somewhere then change ownership?)

I need dual outputs working on my XFX 9500GT 512MB (VGA+DVI).

I believe it's as simple as entering this string somewhere

" 0400000000000100060000000000000700000000 "

- pulled from my vga bios via a PC with nibitor and using nvcapmaker in case anyone else needs it.

I have QE/CI, and even QGL working fine on a single display.

Whether it's VGA, or DVI, or even via a DVI>VGA adapter. As soon as I plug in the DVI if the VGA is connected, I get a useless (correct resolution) background screen on it, blank on the vga, and eventually tearing/glitching of the few things I can make show up by moving mouse and right clicking.

Installation had no graphics injector chosen, and just the standard check boxes for iAtkos 5i 10.5.5. This is on a Dell Optiplex 755 SFF.

I got the QE/CI working with the awesome post/driver by MrX33 here. I had to load a NVDarwin kext, maybe it goes in there?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133989

This is all magic with EFI v9 and Chameleon, the last time I really messed around with Hac's was with Tiger. I had one Leopard system, but it didn't require this much effort (but neither is it updatable). I've been working during lunch for a week on this. Thanks in advance!

About this mac shows "

post-131994-1231519615_thumb.png

I updated to NVdarwin 1.2.5, and chose 512mb vram. Although system profiler now has more information about my card (and QE/CI/QGL still work), the dual display result is almost exactly the same. If I move the mouse around a lot and click randomly when the 2nd display is detected (DVI through VGA adapter), the black screen will sometimes turn blue, but not my wallpaper. The original screen still goes black.

If I had to edit the NVdarwin.kext from this new 1.2.5 or older 9000 series 1.2.3 installer, how would I do that, and where would I add the rom information below?

Do I choose custom during NVdarwin 1.2.5 install instead of 512mb, and then edit the plist under Applications\custom? What do I do to the file?

Here is the current system profiler for graphics cards.

post-131994-1231525613_thumb.png

What happens when you go to display options and click 'detect displays'?

Your NVCAP value goes in the NVCAP field in the plist inside NVDarwin.kext.

Copy the kext you are already using from the extensions folder to the desktop, right-click, show contents, open the plist in plisteditor.

If you can't see the NVCAP field, change the view mode.

Reinstall the edited kext with Kexthelper or OSX86Tools.

Use google to find the utilities if you don't have them, or learn how to do the same thing from the terminal.

All this information (including what I just posted) has been posted a thousand times already.

Detect displays blanks my first monitor, enables the 2nd on the DVI port w or w/o DVI-VGA adapter, but is all black, or blue sometimes. Have to shut down, and boot with only one monitor attached and only to the VGA port.

Gotcha on the kexthelper/osx86tools, have used those to get QE/CI to work originally, but I had no clue it went in the extensions folder. I got ahead of myself reading about some GPT 200mb partition that's hidden, and thought it's where EFI did it's stuff.

One question, the NVCAP Field,

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=</data>

Do I insert " 0400000000000100060000000000000700000000 " into where it says NVCAP, or replace the "hex" data field? Does that string have to be in hex format? This is what confuses me, because I think I saw all this before and didn't think that's where it went. I have used something called gfxutil to convert something to hex, but can't remember 100% what it was for - I've tried too many things. Thank you so much, have a great weekend.

If you downloaded and installed a pre-fab OSX86 distribution, the EFI partition is empty and not used.

And if you're using MBR type partition it isn't even there.

What are you using to edit the .plist?

You need to change the view mode (as I said) or convert your string to hex.

The string you insert has to be in the same format that it is displayed in, in the tool you're using to edit the plist.

The purpose of gfxutil is to make EFI strings that lets you have full acceleration without using an injector. You can also use it to make an EFI string for your network card. This fixes problems with Time Machine that occur when your network is not recognized as internal.

EFI strings go inside com.apple.boot.plist.

the nvcap have to be in this format

rigth

<key>NVCAP</key>

wrong

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>0400000000000100060000000000000700000000 =</data>

{censored}. And over-complicating the issue.

All that's necessary is to study the NVCAP format and pick one that matches your configuration.

Krazubu has already laid down the law on that subject, here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103549

You can insert the NVCAP in numerical values if you're using the plist editor that comes with Xcode, or the stand-alone PlistEditPro.

You just have to change the view format (like I keep saying) otherwise nothing appears in the NVCAP field.

And the latest version of NVDarwin is 1.2.5:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=125106

I would just like to say, thank you so effing much for this info. I have been trying insanely hard to get my 512MB Kfa2 9500GT to work as well as my Asus 7200GS did, but with your info, I got it working perfectly.

I had the blue screen when I changed resolutions other than 800x600@85, but I found out that my monitor was plugged in to the second DVI port, rather than the first.

Yeah you're right Mrx33, sorry, bad choice of words there.

The guy I was replying to was talking about injectors.

I've never seen an NVCAP value like

<key>NVCAP</key>

What is that anyway, sheep format?

Therefore my question (for the other guy) still stands: What are you using to edit the plist.

thanks to you :)

i feel much better now :P

It was really cool, because I didn't even have to change ANY values within the kext itself, or anywhere else, it just plain old worked. Brilliant stuff, mate.

I do have one question, though. Before I ask this, I only have one monitor, and it's a Dell M770. I am thinking about upgrading to two Westinghouse 19" LCD's sometime in the future.

Would it be possible to get the second DVI port working properly? If so, how would I go about doing it?

You just need, the latest nvidia driver from the 10.5.6 update, so if you already did the update you already have the right kext installed, otherwise you'll need them.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...omboupdate.html here's the update

Then edit the Info.plist of NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext inserting the right device id, mine is: 0x064010de

Then you will need the NVCAP string, and you obtain this from your nvidia card ROM file (I don't remember the software name, I booted in DOS with a USB key and the run the sw), you will open the ROM file with NVCap Maker and you'll have your nvcap string.

Then use osxtools to create the efi string. My nvcap is 0400000000000300040000000000000700000000 as I posted

Don't install anything else, like injector, nvdarwin etc etc

If you want to know the device ID you'll need DPCIManager simple google for it

This is the /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist modified with my device id

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
 <string>English</string>
 <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
 <string>NVDANV50Hal</string>
 <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
 <string>NVDANV50Hal 1.5.36.25 (17.3.5f14)</string>
 <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
 <string>com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal</string>
 <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
 <string>6.0</string>
 <key>CFBundleName</key>
 <string>NVIDIA NV50 Resman Kernel Extension</string>
 <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
 <string>KEXT</string>
 <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
 <string>1.5.36</string>
 <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
 <string>????</string>
 <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
 <string>5.3.6</string>
 <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
 <dict>
	 <key>NVidiaRM</key>
	 <dict>
		 <string>com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal</string>
		 <key>IOClass</key>
		 <string>NVDANV50HAL</string>
		 <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		 <string>IOService</string>
		 <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		 <string>0x064010de
			 0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff
			 0x019010de&0xfff0ffff
			 0x040010de&0xfff0ffff
			 0x042010de&0xfff0ffff
			 0x06e010de&0xfff0ffff
			 0x060010de&0xffe0ffff
			 0x062010de&0xffe0ffff
			 0x064010de&0xffe0ffff
			 0x086010de&0xffe0ffff
		 </string>
		 <key>IOProbeScore</key>
		 <integer>0</integer>
		 <key>IOProviderClass</key>
		 <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
	 </dict>
 </dict>
 <key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
 <string>1.2.0</string>
 <key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
 <dict>
	 <key>com.apple.NVDAResman</key>
	 <string>1.2.0</string>
	 <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
	 <string>9.0.0</string>
	 <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
	 <string>9.0.0</string>
 </dict>
 <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
 <string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

This is /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext/Contents/Info.plist :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	 <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
	 <string>English</string>
	 <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
	 <string>NVDAResman</string>
	 <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
	 <string>NVDAResman 1.5.36.25 (17.3.5f14)</string>
	 <string>com.apple.NVDAResman</string>
	 <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
	 <string>6.0</string>
	 <key>CFBundleName</key>
	 <string>NVIDIA Resman Kernel Extension</string>
	 <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
	 <string>KEXT</string>
	 <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
	 <string>1.5.36</string>
	 <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
	 <string>????</string>
	 <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
	 <string>5.3.6</string>
	 <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
	 <dict>
			 <key>NVidiaRM</key>
			 <dict>
					 <key>IOClass</key>
					 <string>NVDA</string>
					 <string>IOFramebuffer</string>
					 <key>IONameMatch</key>
					 <array>
							 <string>MNCA,GeForce2MX</string>
							 <string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
					 </array>
					 <key>IOProbeScore</key>
					 <integer>60000</integer>
			 </dict>
			 <key>NVidiaRMPCIMatch</key>
			 <dict>
					 <key>IOClass</key>
					 <string>NVDA</string>
					 <key>IONameMatched</key>
					 <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
					 <string>0x064010de</string>
					 <key>IOProbeScore</key>
					 <integer>0</integer>
					 <key>IOPropertyMatch</key>
					 <dict>
							 <key>name</key>
							 <string>display</string>
					 </dict>
			 </dict>
			 <key>NVidiaRMTwinView</key>
			 <dict>
					 <key>IOClass</key>
					 <string>NVDA</string>
					 <key>IONameMatch</key>
					 <array>
							 <string>MNCA,GeForce2MX</string>
					 </array>
					 <key>IOProbeScore</key>
					 <integer>60000</integer>
					 <string>IONDRVDevice</string>
			 </dict>
	 </dict>
	 <key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
	 <string>1.2.0</string>
	 <key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
	 <dict>
			 <key>com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily</key>
			 <string>1.5</string>
			 <key>com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport</key>
			 <string>1.5</string>
			 <key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
			 <string>2.4</string>
			 <key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>
			 <string>9.0.0</string>
			 <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
			 <string>9.0.0</string>
			 <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
			 <string>9.0.0</string>
			 <key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
			 <string>9.0.0</string>
	 </dict>
	 <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	 <string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Producing the EFI string with osx86tools you must specify in a right way your monitor connectors depending on your nvidia 9500gt version, obtain *your* NVCAP and give it.

Yeah you're right Mrx33, sorry, bad choice of words there.

The guy I was replying to was talking about injectors.

I've never seen an NVCAP value like

<key>NVCAP</key>

What is that anyway, sheep format?

Therefore my question (for the other guy) still stands: What are you using to edit the plist.

Beerkex, Mrx333

I am now using plistedit pro 1.4. Before I was just looking at plist's with text editor (so it showed values in hex format, aka sheep format ;)

I copy the NVdarwin.kext (version 1.2.5 now) from the extensions folder to the desktop, edit the NVCap value, and install with kext helper b7, then reboot. Problem is, I still don't get any different results when hooking up the 2nd monitor. Either one of the monitors always works fine, no matter if it's DVI, or VGA through DVI adapter, or straight VGA. As soon as I hook up a second monitor, either it goes blank with a cursor, or blue with nothing, or my desktop picture with tearing (and sometimes a couple icons bunched up in the corner, which eventually locks up if I right click enough times).

I've tried

which was pulled straight from the bios via nibitor on a PC,

and

04000000000001000e0000000000000700000000,

which looks like my cards physical setup on Krazubu's post ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103549 )

I think I have tried every variation of booting with different configurations, and hitting detect display's when I can.

This is on iAtkos 10.5.5, once I get it all working, and all these files, notes and modifications are saved to a thumb drive, and I will attempt a boot132 retail install. I don't wish to install w/o dual monitor support from the get go, unless you think somehow the iAtkos install is deficient in this support.

Thank you both for your help!

See QE Support 10.5.5 Post 51

I think your issue is you need to install the 10.5.5 9f23 Graphics Update, then modify your NVdarwin.kext with the correct NVCAP value from specific card ROM, change ProbeScore string value. I had same non-support QE issue, and had my NVdarwin injector setup correctly which resulted in black screen, but once I removed the existing Ge* & NVDA* kext then installed the 10.5.5 graphics update I got it all working perfectly. I believe that is the key to getting the injector working on 10.5.5-6

now I just get a hang at boot.

I've entered my NVCAP as specified by capturing the ROM in xp, but I'm now not getting any further than the 'japanese screen of death' during the apple logo spinner.

in '-v' the screen freezes after displaying;

NVdarwin: Setting model=Unknown NVIDIA card

no caps-lock response after this line (a trusty indicator!)

Disabling NVDAResman.kext gets me back into a basic lowres GUI

if you don't want to reinstall

do this

boot with

-s

type this

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -rf /system/library/extensions/nvdarwin.kext

exit

i will try with a clean install

maybe you made so many modifications

that's why most problaby is not working

verify your device id

try with ideneb

good luck

there is always a way

all you have to do is keep on trying untill you find it

good luck

thanks to everybody who's trying to help

This is a fresh clean install for experimenting with this problem, only a couple of hours old. Have not made any wild alterations yet! :)

SystemProfiler is Displaying my card with correct VRAM 512MB and Device ID of 0x0640

I'm almost certain that all my problems lie within NVCAP. Everything else seems to be in order. I'm getting my NVCAP data from the rom I captured in windows.The crash happens during NVDAResman.kext with the message;

NVDA::start(NPGS) <1> failed

If I remove NVDAResman, this error goes too.

See QE Support 10.5.5 Post 51

I think your issue is you need to install the 10.5.5 9f23 Graphics Update, then modify your NVdarwin.kext with the correct NVCAP value from specific card ROM, change ProbeScore string value. I had same non-support QE issue, and had my NVdarwin injector setup correctly which resulted in black screen, but once I removed the existing Ge* & NVDA* kext then installed the 10.5.5 graphics update I got it all working perfectly. I believe that is the key to getting the injector working on 10.5.5-6

Nyudoka, is this directed towards me? I have iatkos 5i (10.5.5) and a XFX 9500gt 512mb. Thanks!