How to enable hot swap for eSATA on Intel ICH10R

aol

14 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm hoping someone can explain what I need to start looking for to enable eSATA hot pluggability on a mobo with an Intel ICH10R SATA controller. I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R mobo with HDs on the JMicron IDE bus and the Intel SATA bus, as well as the supplied SATA -> eSATA external mounting bracket. An external hard drive plugged into the eSATA port (exposed via the bracket) mounts fine when the machine boots, and all internal drives are fine.

However when I unmount the partitions on the external eSATA port, I can't get them to remount. When mounted the external partitions have the orange icon, the same icon my MBP uses when the same drive is attached via an eSATA expresscard34 card.

What do I need to start looking for? Do I need drivers for the ICH10R controller installed into Mac OS X (I'm on 10.5.4)? AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. Do I need AHCI drivers for Mac OS X? Do I need to edit a plist? I'm using vanilla kernel, if that helps.

Thanks for any guidance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have same Hot-Plug, Hot-Swap issue with ICH9R on P35-DS4.

I am using 4 Drive 3.5in Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane Product ID: SATABAY4BK (Front & Back pic attached)

P35-DS4 (pic attached)

Disk BACKPLANE is connected to ICH9R orange SATA ports on the mainboard and powered on.

All four disks, if switch ON, get detected at boot up, fine.

Issues Present.

(i) No new SATA Disks get detected Automatically at being inserted while the system is already on, like you get Firewire and USB disks recognised at insertion.

(ii) Disks still shows in Disk Utility (greyed out though) after having been ejected.

(iii) After having been ejected and then re-inserted Disks can be remounted manually using Disk Utility in the 'same DISK, same Drive BAY' basis

(iv) The Icons for these disks are not orange (for removable disks), its same as the fixed disks.

post-69018-1230398984_thumb.jpg

post-69018-1230398994.jpg

post-69018-1230399019_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately guys, this is not an OSX86 issues, it's a mac issue. No hot swap eSata in mac, units have to be turned on at boot and HAVE to be swapped on shut down. I read somewhere that a quick log out then in will mount the drive, but crazy enough I never tried this, I just switched my Thermaltake BlackX to USB and let it be. There may be a work around but rest assured this is not a short coming of OSX86 machines, it's just OSX. Sorry. Hope this is still of use to you both. Cheers!

If the controller is running in IDE-compatibility mode (ApplePIIXATA, VIAATA, etc.) there is no hotplug or any other native SATA features, the drives behave like PATA drives then not hotplugging.

Most motherboards have two or more SATA controllers, normally fixed eSATA ports are taken care by the secondary SATA chipset, not the main chipset controllers. That one needs to be in AHCI mode for eSATA.

If its AHCI compatible (should be) it should work with the AppleAHCIport driver, assuming Apple's implementation is correct. It should be picked up by that driver provided you dont have any conflicting kext (normally happens with JMicron controllers). If not you can try adding the device id to the plist.

If hotplug still doesnt work it could be because of the eSATA device too, I've read some reports that some multiple plugs (USB/eSATA) HDs have buggy or incompatible bridge chipsets that might cause problems.

Unfortunately guys, this is not an OSX86 issues, it's a mac issue. No hot swap eSata in mac, units have to be turned on at boot and HAVE to be swapped on shut down. I read somewhere that a quick log out then in will mount the drive, but crazy enough I never tried this, I just switched my Thermaltake BlackX to USB and let it be. There may be a work around but rest assured this is not a short coming of OSX86 machines, it's just OSX. Sorry. Hope this is still of use to you both. Cheers!

My Jmicron hot plugs just fine (eSata).

Can confirm!

Asus P5B Deluxe, running JMicron eSATA hotplugs without issues!

(I just prefer to EJECT before I unplug it!(now, get your minds out the guttters!! :wacko: )

Replugging or Hotplugging is no problem

SticMAC

My Jmicron hot plugs just fine (eSata).

pci express sata controller card ? which one?

on my laptop, with an express 2 port esata, hotplug works fine !

on my gigabyte mobo, it does not ! ...

so thinking, I'am tired of it, hotplug not working ,...

a 4 port card be probably a good start,...

what about , a cheap sas controller ? longer cable,..

silicone image seam to have drivers,

please PM me, thanks

• 7 months later...

I tried using a JMicron PCIe Card on a GA-EP45-DS3 Board for my eSATA Drives. OS X sees the controller just fine, Apple System Profiler shows two additional SATA Ports (Unknown AHCI Device) but nothing happens when i plug/unplug a eSATA Drive. The SATA Drive is recognised on boot time by the Controller. It's a JMicron JMB363 Card. System.log shows nothing on Connect/Disconnect.

Any Ideas whats going wrong?

• 4 months later...
Can confirm!

Asus P5B Deluxe, running JMicron eSATA hotplugs without issues!

(I just prefer to EJECT before I unplug it!(now, get your minds out the guttters!! :D )

Replugging or Hotplugging is no problem

SticMAC

Could you share the kexts you are using, OSX version and, if it's not to ask too much, whether you've done something special on BIOS? ppppleeeease? =)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have run into the same problem on a gigabyte UD5 mobo

I mounted a controller that came with my antec case in a pci bay then ran the esata cable to the board so I could use an external drive to swap some out but like others here it only mounts on reboot.

Seems gigabyte arent the greatest for hackintosh in many ways, I began to suspect this with the case when this error comes up when booting:

'detecting drives, no any found'

if they cant pay someone who knows basic english grammar you start to wonder what other corners were cut. Ive had nothing but constant and varied problems since I built this machine, returned the mobo once because I was just getting a constant reboot loop with no bios. They 'fixed it' and it was fine for about 4 months, then a fan stopped getting power followed by intermittently my screen just goes black mid bios or mid os x and win7 loading.

Im well sick of it all and wishing Id just bought a mac pro and paid the outrageous extra money. Of course Ive got this machine running awesomely otherwise and its WAY quieter than a macpro after many hours of tinkering and upgrading so this investment makes me want to keep it :/