Samsung NC10 vs EEEPC vs MSI WIND vs etc...

59 posts in this topic

So the nc10 has finally arrived in Denmark, with a danish keyboard. I seems to be superior to the msi in terms of keyboard, powermanagement and screen at least.

Priced equally i would go for the nc10 any day of the week.

The thing is: the msi sells for the equivalent of 30£ cheaper. And that is the upgraded version (6 cells, 2gb ram, 160gb hd). Hence I wont need to add extra ram (~15£ saved) and I wont have to add new wifi (~another 15£ saved).

So: In your opinion, is the nc10 worth the extra 60£ with its (supposedly) better keyboard and powerusage?

It looks as though the Dell Mini 9 has had a product refresh - the new version comes with the incompatible GMA X4500 chip. Oops. Something to look out for. Dell had a sale, recently, of old stock that used the GMA X3100.

Put another way, best everyone keep an eye on the current spec of your favored choice of netbooks!

where's more info on the EEEEE! that's the one I'm leaning towards due to the multitouch trackpad or are they all shipping with a multitouch trackpad?

And is the EEE's working in OS X any who?

(I love me some ASUS)

samsung nc10 also has multitouch trackpad but in windows, in OSX, I am not sure if they found a solution for multi-touch yet... as the trackpads are ps/2 based on nc10 (dont know about others) but Macs have USB trackpads, so do not think they would work together...

and by the way, now Ethernet also works on NC10...

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for this thread.

I had a Dell Mini 9 for a week with the 8GB SSD and couldn't install OS X. Everyone at mydellmini forums were really helpful but no luck in the end. I'd recommend not to get the 8GB SSD if OS X will be installed! I ran XP a little before I tried to hackintosh it and it was a bear just to surf the internet. Man I don't like Windows! Screen seem very sharp, contrasty and bright. If you are only going to write and surf the internet the Mini 9 would work well. Go to the Dell outlet to order it....cost about $235.US (no blluetooth) The SSD size and price was a real deal breaker for me.

Anyway I returned it...and placed my order for a Wind at $300.US

Then found this thread and did some more research and cancelled the Wind and ordered the Samsung NC10. I do like the matte NC10 screen as the Mini 9 has a glossy screen that shows every fingerprint, spittle, smear and reflects everything back of you.

I did some simple math too! To add a good battery to the Wind was about $75 extra which brings up the price of the Wind to $375.US. I got a MS Cash Back on the NC10 and final price was $400.US. For $25 more I went with the better netbook.

Thanks,

John

• 2 weeks later...

I should amend my above post about the Dell Mini 9 getting a product refresh. It was pointed out to me that at one point Dell UK had put the wrong spec up against the Dell Mini 9... Sound familiar! What has been reliably updated on the British site is that, as with our American cousins, British consumers are no longer limited to a black case. It looks as though the Dell Mini 9 is set to retain the standard issue netbook GMA950. The Mini 10 apparently uses an incompatible GMA500.

Worth a look is the stylish-looking (and it looks better in the magazines than in the flesh, in my opinion) HP Compaq Mini 700. It is no Samsung NC10 killer, though, with just a three cell battery. From what I saw the glossy screen is marginally better than an Acer but still a little 'milky'. The Dell panel is better but, again, with the Mini 9 you're stuck with what in my opinion is too small a keyboard.

For users limited to 4GB/8GB/16GB SSD drives, you might try the xslimmer application, which will trim out Power PC versions of the applications you are using on your Intel-based netbook. It can cut some application sizes in half, saving you whole gigabytes of space! On my older Mac Mini I saved 2.4GB of space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...