Atheros AR5007 working but not perfect. Heres the guide.

• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

myi4u

myi4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
hi,

i suppose Acer Aspire One is using the same Atheros 5007EG with Samsung NC10 ?? So, since this method works for AA1, i don't see any reason y it would not work on NC10. i must give it a go tonight.

btw, alain30100 and merindustries, is your wifi card set as en0 or en1?

alain30100

alain30100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
For me : En1 for wifi and En0 for lan

myi4u

myi4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

For me : En1 for wifi and En0 for lan

thanks for checking ...

btw, if you use kext helper to install the kext, do you still need to repair permissions? if not, then you will be able to eliminate step 2 !

alain30100

alain30100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Yes I use KextHelper B7 to install this Kext. But after this, I still need to repair permissions with Disk Utility, otherwise it is not working (?)
And each time, Disk Utility find two permissions to repair regarding Airport. :P

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Ok well I don't really know what I did. I updated the Airport Extreme via Pacifist, because otherwise it was saying like "you can't install this software on your computer" and everything. Anyway after that I installed the .kext, repaired the extensions, and rebooted. For the first time in months the airport icon was clear, but i couldn't find any network nor create any network which could be seen.
KisMAC wasn't event searching for something when I loaded the "Airport Extreme (passive mode)" driver, and I was stuck just like in the beginning. Anyway, I played with it for a few hours, loading & unloading the extension, and suddenly *BAM* I was able to create an ad-hoc network and to connect to it with another computer. But then, nothing: the other computer didn't have any IP address attributed, so I was stuck again.
But finally I plugged an ethernet cable in the hackintosh (an Acer 2920z by the way, with OSX iATKOS v4i (10.5.4) upgraded to 10.5.5), told it to "share the ethernet connection (en0) via airport express (en1), and gave him the IP addresses by hand (10.0.2.1 for the hackintosh, subnet mask 255.255.0.0, router 10.0.2.1) then I connected the other laptop to it and gave it an IP address by hand too (10.0.2.10, same subnet mask, router 10.0.2.1).
And know what, it works! But I don't know until when... Maybe it'll be down at the first reboot. We'll see.
Thanks a lot anyway for the .kext, hope it'll help!

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Some other things: it seems that I've got to "re-activate" the kext on each reboot.
And Software Update do propose me to install the "Airport Extreme Update 2008-04" again. If I do so, then it's back to reinstalling the .kext, having to reboot because of a kernel panic, and basically start again (including the IP configuration thingy).

danroj

danroj

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
hi my card is a Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter [168C-002A] [NoDB]) i need know if this card work in leopard 10.5.2 ... thanks !!

Bassy Sweeeeet

Bassy Sweeeeet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Hey, i have made a guide, and added all the neccessary things for u to get this working.

just download it in the attatchments

Attached Files

osik

osik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Atheros 5007 don't work for me ^_^

ecr24901

ecr24901

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Compaq Presario C770US and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I will try the trick to reinstall the kext with each reboot and see if that helps. Is there a a darwin boot prompt command that could be added to com.apple.boot.plist to make the process less annoying?

oldmaclover

oldmaclover

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I haven't ever had to do a reinstall of the kext. If I turn my Presario C771 on and kismac does not start recognizing networks and the scan is slow I just shut down the computer all the way (make sure the power goes off instead of a restart) then power it back up. Something about the repowering process kicks the card to life and then the process works again. I have stopped even booting it into Vista to kick the card back on.

After you install the new kext Software Update starts prompting you to install the Airport Update again. Don't do it. Also, one thing I have learned since developing the kismac process is that while kismac is the way to get the card to notice networks you must quit it as soon as it notices networks because it does not play nice with the networking menus of the OS.

This is about where my abilities end on development of this, the Kismac thing was a lucky guess. As far as the development of a better kext goes that work needs to be continued by people who have more time than I do. I am just happy to be done with the USB dongle.

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for your reply, I'll try the complete shutdown today.
Another way to get it back to work is to delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext* before reboot. It seems to get the job done!
Thanks again.

josaco

josaco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for your reply, I'll try the complete shutdown today.
Another way to get it back to work is to delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext* before reboot. It seems to get the job done!
Thanks again.

W3C.ORG , its working 4 u anytime that you reboot ??? , who kext delete before you shutdown ???? , the trick is shutdown and not reboot ????

Sorry for my poor english . Dears !

myi4u

myi4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
i have limited time last night to test on NC10. OS X was fully restored from my first installation. i proceed to install the airport update. then installed the kext and repaired permission. when i rebooted the machine, i got a message saying that i have to press and hold the power button to shutdown the machine and restart again.

i did that and i managed to boot into os x. i changed the en0 to en1. i rebooted the machine again and reinstalled kext as well as repaired the permissions. again, i rebooted the machine and this time round, i got the error message 4 times in a row. the fifth time, i managed to boot into os x and i dun have anytime to test it already.

however, i will test it tonight by reinstalling the kext, repair the permissions, reboot and follow step 6.

i am quite reluctant about the repair permissions because it did not show any list of files that were repaired. anyway, play safe and do the long step. if it works, then i will try to find a shorter way that works for me.

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

w3c.org , its working 4 u anytime that you reboot ??? , who kext delete before you shutdown ???? , the trick is shutdown and not reboot ????

Sorry for my poor english . Dears !

Hi
It's working for me on the first recognition of the IO80211Family.kext, but as soon as I reboot or shutdown the computer, I can't connect to a wifi network nor create one that could be recognized by another computer.
By deleting not the extension but the extension library (/System/Library/Extensions.mkext, note the 'm' before kext :) ) I force OSX to reload the IO80211Family.kext on reboot, and it works.

To miy4u: i always repair extensions by hand (sudo chown -R root:wheel extension.kext && sudo chmod -R 755 extension.kext) and then delete the Extensions.mkext as explained earlier :D

myi4u

myi4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Hi
It's working for me on the first recognition of the IO80211Family.kext, but as soon as I reboot or shutdown the computer, I can't connect to a wifi network nor create one that could be recognized by another computer.
By deleting not the extension but the extension library (/System/Library/Extensions.mkext, note the 'm' before kext :) ) I force OSX to reload the IO80211Family.kext on reboot, and it works.

To miy4u: i always repair extensions by hand (sudo chown -R root:wheel extension.kext && sudo chmod -R 755 extension.kext) and then delete the Extensions.mkext as explained earlier :angel:

just a thought. is it not possible to enter the commands at the bootloader? i mean create a set of commands in the bootplist like
1. delete the extensions.mkext
2. reload io80211family.kext
3. repair kext permission

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

just a thought. is it not possible to enter the commands at the bootloader? i mean create a set of commands in the bootplist like
1. delete the extensions.mkext
2. reload io80211family.kext
3. repair kext permission

That's interesting, but I think it'll work better as a shutdown script (remove the Extension.mkext upon shutdown). By the way, you don't have to repair again the IO80211Family.kext (at least on my computer I don't have to).
Take a look here for a way to implement a shutdown script: http://forums.macosx...php/t-3972.html

The script would look like (quoting the post on macosxhints):

#!/bin/sh
. /etc/rc.common
StartService ()
{
}

StopService ()
{
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext*
}

RunService "$1"

This file has to be executable, i.e. chmod a+x filename. Then create a file by the name StartupParameters.plist with the following contents:

{
Description = "Name of your service goes here";
Provides = "Whatever your service provides goes here";
Uses = "Disks";
}

But I haven't tested, so try it at your own risk!

Edit: I also found this post http://egopoly.com/2...pt-to-mac-os-x/ which should give you interesting examples.

Edit2: I put a * after the Extensions.mkext because sometimes osx create a temporary library of loaded extensions, named Extensions.mkext.XXXX (with four letters), so the * tells the script to delete both if they are present.

myi4u

myi4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
guess what ???? i am using safari now which means i manage to connect to my wifi network using Samsung NC10 !!!!

i almost gave up on the first few attempts because it kept showing the panic screen. so, what i did on samsung nc10 is,

1. delete all the mkext files
2. use kext helper to install io80211family.kext
3. repair io80211family.kext permissions
4. restart the machine
5. kismac to detect the network
6. once detected, i close it and voila !!!

i am so happy !!! thanks oldmaclover for this great discovery as well as w3c.org all sorts of experiment ...

since i know it is working, i might try the shutdown script thingy or try not to reinstall the kext or other sorts of experiment ... until then, i m going to enjoy this moment first ...

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Exactly what I thought yesterday :)
Good luck experimenting, but now you've seen it working, that should be ok :D

taja13

taja13

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello

It's working on Toshiba NB 100 (one of the atom-based netbooks). :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy