Atheros AR5007 working but not perfect. Heres the guide.

oldmaclover

430 posts in this topic

Some other things: it seems that I've got to "re-activate" the kext on each reboot.

And Software Update do propose me to install the "Airport Extreme Update 2008-04" again. If I do so, then it's back to reinstalling the .kext, having to reboot because of a kernel panic, and basically start again (including the IP configuration thingy).

I have a Compaq Presario C770US and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I will try the trick to reinstall the kext with each reboot and see if that helps. Is there a a darwin boot prompt command that could be added to com.apple.boot.plist to make the process less annoying?

I haven't ever had to do a reinstall of the kext. If I turn my Presario C771 on and kismac does not start recognizing networks and the scan is slow I just shut down the computer all the way (make sure the power goes off instead of a restart) then power it back up. Something about the repowering process kicks the card to life and then the process works again. I have stopped even booting it into Vista to kick the card back on.

After you install the new kext Software Update starts prompting you to install the Airport Update again. Don't do it. Also, one thing I have learned since developing the kismac process is that while kismac is the way to get the card to notice networks you must quit it as soon as it notices networks because it does not play nice with the networking menus of the OS.

This is about where my abilities end on development of this, the Kismac thing was a lucky guess. As far as the development of a better kext goes that work needs to be continued by people who have more time than I do. I am just happy to be done with the USB dongle.

Thanks for your reply, I'll try the complete shutdown today.

Another way to get it back to work is to delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext* before reboot. It seems to get the job done!

Thanks again.

W3C.ORG , its working 4 u anytime that you reboot ??? , who kext delete before you shutdown ???? , the trick is shutdown and not reboot ????

Sorry for my poor english . Dears !

i have limited time last night to test on NC10. OS X was fully restored from my first installation. i proceed to install the airport update. then installed the kext and repaired permission. when i rebooted the machine, i got a message saying that i have to press and hold the power button to shutdown the machine and restart again.

i did that and i managed to boot into os x. i changed the en0 to en1. i rebooted the machine again and reinstalled kext as well as repaired the permissions. again, i rebooted the machine and this time round, i got the error message 4 times in a row. the fifth time, i managed to boot into os x and i dun have anytime to test it already.

however, i will test it tonight by reinstalling the kext, repair the permissions, reboot and follow step 6.

i am quite reluctant about the repair permissions because it did not show any list of files that were repaired. anyway, play safe and do the long step. if it works, then i will try to find a shorter way that works for me.

w3c.org , its working 4 u anytime that you reboot ??? , who kext delete before you shutdown ???? , the trick is shutdown and not reboot ????

Sorry for my poor english . Dears !

Hi

It's working for me on the first recognition of the IO80211Family.kext, but as soon as I reboot or shutdown the computer, I can't connect to a wifi network nor create one that could be recognized by another computer.

By deleting not the extension but the extension library (/System/Library/Extensions.mkext, note the 'm' before kext :) ) I force OSX to reload the IO80211Family.kext on reboot, and it works.

To miy4u: i always repair extensions by hand (sudo chown -R root:wheel extension.kext && sudo chmod -R 755 extension.kext) and then delete the Extensions.mkext as explained earlier :D

Hi

It's working for me on the first recognition of the IO80211Family.kext, but as soon as I reboot or shutdown the computer, I can't connect to a wifi network nor create one that could be recognized by another computer.

By deleting not the extension but the extension library (/System/Library/Extensions.mkext, note the 'm' before kext :) ) I force OSX to reload the IO80211Family.kext on reboot, and it works.

To miy4u: i always repair extensions by hand (sudo chown -R root:wheel extension.kext && sudo chmod -R 755 extension.kext) and then delete the Extensions.mkext as explained earlier :angel:

just a thought. is it not possible to enter the commands at the bootloader? i mean create a set of commands in the bootplist like

1. delete the extensions.mkext

2. reload io80211family.kext

3. repair kext permission

just a thought. is it not possible to enter the commands at the bootloader? i mean create a set of commands in the bootplist like

1. delete the extensions.mkext

2. reload io80211family.kext

3. repair kext permission

That's interesting, but I think it'll work better as a shutdown script (remove the Extension.mkext upon shutdown). By the way, you don't have to repair again the IO80211Family.kext (at least on my computer I don't have to).

Take a look here for a way to implement a shutdown script: http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-3972.html

The script would look like (quoting the post on macosxhints):

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

StartService ()

{

}

StopService ()

{

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext*

}

RunService "$1"

This file has to be executable, i.e. chmod a+x filename. Then create a file by the name StartupParameters.plist with the following contents:

{

Description = "Name of your service goes here";

Provides = "Whatever your service provides goes here";

Uses = "Disks";

}

But I haven't tested, so try it at your own risk!

Edit: I also found this post http://egopoly.com/2008/03/26/add-your-own...pt-to-mac-os-x/ which should give you interesting examples.

Edit2: I put a * after the Extensions.mkext because sometimes osx create a temporary library of loaded extensions, named Extensions.mkext.XXXX (with four letters), so the * tells the script to delete both if they are present.

guess what ???? i am using safari now which means i manage to connect to my wifi network using Samsung NC10 !!!!

i almost gave up on the first few attempts because it kept showing the panic screen. so, what i did on samsung nc10 is,

1. delete all the mkext files

2. use kext helper to install io80211family.kext

3. repair io80211family.kext permissions

4. restart the machine

5. kismac to detect the network

6. once detected, i close it and voila !!!

i am so happy !!! thanks oldmaclover for this great discovery as well as w3c.org all sorts of experiment ...

since i know it is working, i might try the shutdown script thingy or try not to reinstall the kext or other sorts of experiment ... until then, i m going to enjoy this moment first ...

I´m also a nc10 user but i just can´t get wifi work.

Could you myi4u or any other one please describe me again how you did this?!?

1. delete all the mkext files --> i just find the Extensions.mkext in the Library-folder... are there more than this one?

2. use kext helper to install io80211family.kext --> is this still the original kext from the first post? how do i see that the installation work?

3. repair io80211family.kext permissions --> do you mean the OSX86Tools and there "repair permissions"?

Please help me!! i´m not really firm in this topic... i did just see in my System Profiler that the Airportcard, which is now visible, is on en0... Can i change this? normally it is en1, isn´t it? what can i do?

Help me and all the other nc10 users please!! :-)

miy4u , or w3c.org or anyone else... please help me! at my reply at 07:07 pm!! Thank you!!!!

hi there ... first u need to change your en0 to en1.

you can do so by editing the networkinterface.plist in /library/preferences/systemconfiguration

if you cannot see the file, then u need to install io80211family.kext first... reboot your system and you should be able to see the networkinterface.plist

after you change your en0 to en1, reboot the system again

---------------

once ur atheros is on en1, proceed to install the io80211family.kext using kext helper b7

to be safe, repair the permission using the commands explained by w3c.org which are

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext

chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext

after that, reboot your machine again. you should see your airport on the top. click on it and then open network preferences. click apply and it should turn on your airport.

proceed by opening kismac. go to preferences --> driver and add airport extreme passive mode. close that driver window and start scan. if everything is smooth, u should be able to see your list of wifi network. close kismac and click on the airport at the top and it should list your network.

click on the network that you wish to connect and off u go...

try these steps above first and let us know again ... good luck

---------------------

by the way, i do not have to reinstall anything after reboot. i just run kismac, delete the existing airport extreme passive mode and add it back again. start the scan and i am able to see the wifi network ...

Great. I still haven't tried it as I'm using the NC10 now. I should be home in a few and I'll give it a shot. I need you explain where the chmod commands are typed in order to modify permission.

I will grateful if you explain that. (Major mac noob)

To Comaco, no, there isn't more than one Extensions.mkext. There could be an Extensions.mkext.something, but just do a rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.* and that will be ok. Yes, it is still the same .kext we're all using, and to repair it, do as you want, by kexthelper, by OSX86Tools or by hand.

To TI3GIB, you can choose between the same three things: using kexthelper, using OSX86Tools, or by hand. The commands, by hand, are, in a normal user Terminal.app window:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel IO80211Family.kext (you will be asked to enter the admin (root) password)

sudo chmod -R 755 IO80211Family.kext

Don't forget to delete the Extensions.mkext*, and you'll be done.

When I try to edit en1 in NetworkInterfaces.plist I get a "The Document could not be saved. You do not have appropriate access previlidges" ..

How do I remedy this ?

First, are you sure you need to edit this? If you already have an ethernet card recognized by OSX, it's ok (because ethernet will be en0, and wifi en1)

Else, fire up Terminal.app and type

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

then replace

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

by

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

and

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

by

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

Hit ctrl+x, nano will ask you to save the file, answer Yes, and you're done.

Thank you very much for your quick answer myi4u!

I tried it now several times, but i can´t change en0 to en1... i did it exactely as w3c.org wrote by replacing the eno two times, i saved the file but after rebooting it didn´t change. in the file it changed, but in the Systemprofiler it is still en0.

i have lan not aktivated in the bios, but i had installed a usb-bluetoothstick for internet connection with my mobilephone...

this bluetoothdevice was en1. also after changing it in the NetworkInterfaces.plist. so i deinstalled the stick - nothing changed. i deleted the bluetoothparts from the NetworkInterfaces.plist file but in this file, wlan is still en1. anywhere else it is en0. bluetooth is now en2...

what did i do wrong??

I saw the apple ariport item alreadily after first installation of the kext. some hours bevore i wrote you. it was alreadily active and searching but on en0 and not en1.

no i just can´t get it active anymore?

can you help me please? :-)

sorry for my english, i´m from austria (germanspeaking)

Thanx

I managed to change it from en0 to en1, but still can't find any networks :/

got everything working but wireless...

aao_pink, on the guide you downloaded there are links to download all stuff you need, if you are using windows, press control while clicking on them.