Some tracks for VAIO display support

Krazubu

86 posts in this topic

I'm looking into ways people not using VAIO's resolved issues with "Quartz Extreme Not Supported" with video cards that are capable of supporting it (nvidia 7xxx Go's should be fine). This may end up being a different path than the original poster (Krazubu) suggested. I think we're all looking for the same solution though.

Awsome! but the QE support is going under Display support..right?

How is it with the CI? It supposed to be hardware..right? :unsure:

This is possible to make this work..right?

I'm a newbe, so I might say stupid stuff!..spare me =)

Awsome! but the QE support is going under Display support..right?

How is it with the CI? It supposed to be hardware..right? :)

This is possible to make this work..right?

I'm a newbe, so I might say stupid stuff!..spare me =)

QE should say supported if its working, and yes i do think it needs OpenGL to work as well, and CI should not say software.

And yes, it will eventually be possible to work.. hopefully :)

QE should say supported if its working, and yes i do think it needs OpenGL to work as well, and CI should not say software.

And yes, it will eventually be possible to work.. hopefully :)

alright!

Hopefully someone can fix these issues aswell!

In other QE & CI issues (other cards and brands) how where they solved? Is it harder than the working snc driver now?

I also wounder..can you clone the display to vga aswell without any problem?

and again guys! good work! keep it up! :)

Here's an option I just discovered.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64656

I was able to enable QuartzGL which seems to be an (buggy) alternative to Quartz Extreme for boosting visual performance. My windows move quick and smoothly now, the Genie effect works smoothly, dashboard flies in without any slowdown.

System Profiler after enable QuartzGL:

Core Image: Software

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

My next route to try to enable QuartzExtreme is uninstalling Macvidia (old solution, but the fact it works partially gives me hope), and messing with the 7400go EFI string installs.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?PHPSESSI...&topic=55.0

More info about QuartzGL:

The technical requirements for Quartz GL are are explained by Q&A 1536 <http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2007/qa1536.html>

What it does is it causes window contents to be rendered using OpenGL rather than the window being composited in software and then uploaded as a texture (which is Quartz Extreme). Depending on your window's drawing patterns, this can increase, decrease or not affect performance at all.

--

David Duncan

Apple DTS Animation and Printing

The EFI string (and NVCAP) method is a bit hard for me to understand. The link I provided supposedly had the EFI string for 7400go, so I put that in the boot.plist file, uninstalled Macvidia, etc. but the display went back to 1024x768. There are 2 7400go though, one is 256MBVRAM, the other, mine, is 64. Not sure if they would produce different EFI strings. Need to take a break for a few days. Fairly happy with the state of my setup, it's just fullscreen video playback is terrible (tried Quicktime, VLC, and MPlayer) and a few of the CoreImaging features don't work, like a translucent menu bar, the ripple effect when adding dashboard widgets, etc.

why don't you try to modify DST with DSDT patcher instead of making a full kext? should be easyier at least for testing, isn't it?

Actually, I missed this post before, looked more into it and found this DSDT thread by "fassl"

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...pic=133683%2522

He seems to believe this is the route to go, perhaps the only problem is the lack of people with VAIO's, like most of us following this thread, actually testing it out. I'll look into it myself after I finish my taxes.

I've try the kext for SNC and appear to work but for me the problem are the display driver. ok the switch work but leo not recognize the display because not find the display.

And now the secret for me are the overrides.

What do you think?

I've try the kext for SNC and appear to work but for me the problem are the display driver. ok the switch work but leo not recognosize the display because not find the display.

What do you think?

so you got your vaio internal display working???QE too?

please tell me what are you done step by step m8.

Mrrboto if you need a tester I'm here.

Sorry but i'm not doing anything. I'm waiting news from Epitorus but he seems to be disappeared.

He's the only one on the right truck. The problem is ACPI calls and LCD panel to be turned on. NVCAP is not the point.

Sorry but i'm not doing anything. I'm waiting news from Epitorus but he seems to be disappeared.

He's the only one on the right truck. The problem is ACPI calls and LCD panel to be turned on. NVCAP is not the point.

Ok thank send me the news

I don't think NVCAP matters yet, I've followed other guides (before realising that Vaio actually didn't work at all.. yet.) and changed the NVCAP values and also some other values to try and get it to recognise the LCD, never happened.

Best hope is Epitorus.

I've try the kext for SNC and appear to work but for me the problem are the display driver. ok the switch work but leo not recognize the display because not find the display.

What do you think?

I tried AML overriding by adding in the Device(LCD) of Device(NGFX) some methods so that Leopard may be able to recognize the LCD, but it seems that there s no effect.

Here is the ACPI specification : http://acpi.info/

here is the original AML code taken from another laptop, and the internal screen work with QE/CI.

Device ([color="#ff00ff"]LCD[/color])
                   {
                       Method (_ADR, 0, NotSerialized)
                       {
                           Return (0x0110)
                       }

Method (MXMX, 1, NotSerialized)
                       {
                           Return (One)
                       }

Method (_DCS, 0, NotSerialized)
                       {
                           If (LCDA)
                           {
                               Return (0x1F)
                           }
                           Else
                           {
                               Return (0x1D)
                           }
                       }

Method (_DGS, 0, NotSerialized)
                       {
                           If (LCDA)
                           {
                               Return (One)
                           }
                           Else
                           {
                               Return (Zero)
                           }
                       }

Method (_DSS, 1, NotSerialized)
                       {
                       }
                   }

for instance, we can determine the difference between a vaio AML and another computer's AML.

For my part, I have no computer with Internal screen working.

By the way, you can notice that at boot time in verbose mode,

NGFX : specific family matching fails.

how does Leopard find the name of the Graphics Device in the AML???

today i tried to put a cmplete DSDT from a macbookpro 4,1 on my vaio, i had to write device id on GeForce.kext then after reboot the last line i see after loading the video driver is "Monitor CRT Enabled" then a kernel panic.

so, i think a DSDT file with a correct device section, device id in the right video kext and a display overrides are the three things to go.

i have a question. this doesn't really match this forum but what the

hack.--> OSx86 is to run Mac operating system and applications on

Windows PersonalComputers right? Is OSx86 finished yet. like is it

good enough to download and not screw around with and does it crash?

can you download it? where can i get the download? and is it better

with Parallels/VWfusion or native?

This thread is for serious posts that are trying to resolve a particular issue. Please search the forum before posting. You're likely to find the answers to your questions.

Thanks

i have a question. this doesn't really match this forum but what the

hack.--> OSx86 is to run Mac operating system and applications on

Windows PersonalComputers right? Is OSx86 finished yet. like is it

good enough to download and not screw around with and does it crash?

can you download it? where can i get the download? and is it better

with Parallels/VWfusion or native?

There has been progress Blackshore, however unfortunately having QE/CI on an external display was always possible with Vaio Laptops

okey,

So what we know is the vaio cards have no problem getting the CI/QE working.. but there is some issue with getting it work on the internal display..and thats because of that SNC thing?

How does is technically work? does it work like a switch of somekind? Why did vaio implant this function, whats the purpose? Battery/Energy Saving?

I find that you guys working on this project are awsome! I bet there is a alot of work to make this work.

salute you all! Keep up the good work!

okey,

So what we know is the vaio cards have no problem getting the CI/QE working.. but there is some issue with getting it work on the internal display..and thats because of that SNC thing?

How does is technically work? does it work like a switch of somekind? Why did vaio implant this function, whats the purpose? Battery/Energy Saving?

I find that you guys working on this project are awsome! I bet there is a alot of work to make this work.

salute you all! Keep up the good work!

If I could be of any help with my Vaio CS11S mounting a GeForce 9300M GS, please let me know :thumbsup_anim:

I've also read that Phoenix Bios is somewhat very old and un-updatable without a fee. Consider I'd be willing also to donate some money if that's going to improve progress.

• 2 weeks later...
today i tried to put a cmplete DSDT from a macbookpro 4,1 on my vaio, i had to write device id on GeForce.kext then after reboot the last line i see after loading the video driver is "Monitor CRT Enabled" then a kernel panic.

so, i think a DSDT file with a correct device section, device id in the right video kext and a display overrides are the three things to go.

That sounded complicated.. has it been done before?.. some other laptop I mean..