Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Hero!!

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

when I try to install a MACOSX 10.4.5 Prepatchd DVD (AMD INTEL) I have this error:

Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

I have tried to upgrade my bios with the latest version but I have the same problem. How I can recompile kernel with no control for ACPI error enabled?

Anyone can help me?

If it says, it can't find ACPI,

it could mean that it wasn't installed properly.

Did you see any error messages during the installation ?

In my case, installation stopped after Base Part 1,

when Essentials was about to install.

Then i saw the message:

"The were errors during the installation.

Please retry".

That's Apple-language for "Your optical drive is faulty".

In my case i was able to install 10.4.1 with that optical drive.

Didn't work after a few months with 10.4.5,

until i upgraded the firmware.

I am having the same trouble with my Athlon 3200+ on an AS-Rock 939S56

Has anyone had any luck with this mobo? Im currently using an SATA HD and a Radeon X550, would these cause any problems?

Have tried booting with platform=X86PC|ACPI but get the same result each time

Has anybody got any suggestions or startup commands i can try? I only know the 'platform' command which makes no difference. I only get to the first CD boot screen and the darwin loader, never even got as far as the apple logo. Please help! I don't really want to go back to my B&W G3!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue, and no solution. Put in DVD, boot, immediately get kernel panic, "Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"". I'm using the same DVD title as you, maybe it's not the machine but the DVD?

In my BIOS, I have an option to set power management to APM or OFF. If I turn it off, then I get a different error which I unfortunately didn't write down.

This is on a Dual PII 450. For what it's worth, I get a warning a boot warning about ACPI from Linux on the same machine, and if I enter a ? at the boot prompt, instead of the promised help I get a complete garble.

Let me know if you find any solutions!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know that the lack of SSE2 is what causes the ACPI problem. I've got an AMD Sempron 2800+ and according to CPU-Z, it's got SSE3, and yet, I still have ACPI problems. .... not to question what anyone else has said.

Can anyone put a list of the syntax commands that may help, i.e. platform=such and so?

or... you know... if there's a solution, since I havent seen any activity from this thread.

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo-V with K8T800 Chipset, Southbridge-- VT8237, AMD Board

CPU-- AMD 64 Sempron 2800+ 1.6 gHz

Memory-- 1 GB (2 Chips, 512 MB Centon, 512 MB Kingston)

Video-- nVidia GeForce FX5200

Sound-- SBLive!

• 2 weeks later...

I have this error on an Athlon 64 3200+ with SSE2 and SSE3 using the Goatsecx 10.4.6 DVD... This might be a DVD ROM issue... I'm going to swap drives and do a test.

Nope... no luck... tried two other DVD drives... must be BIOS related... I could up date my BIOS but there are no updates.

• 7 months later...

First time I tried to install the 10.4.5 I had a USB enclosure and installation went smoothly but I could never boot the OS (plist problem)

Now I moved the same hard drive as my Primary Slave drive and I try to boot the same DVD and I get "unalbe to find driver for this platform: ACPI" error message...

P4 3.Ghz Intel 865D PERL mobo SSE2

Edited by chimmu

• 7 months later...

Boot hangs at:

enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes

ACPI CA 20060421

I have almost the identical freeze booting either DVD or good HDD(had 3 drives with 10.4.9i r3 clones all booting perfectly) install since updating my BIOS

Abit IL9 Pro with almost perfect install everything working on previous BIOS----such a shame--don't know if I have the nerve revert to previous BIOS---have already removed NIC, firewire card & changed the video card: same prob----also have tried booting -x, -S, & platform=X86PC & Platform=ACP----always hangs at same place

Guys,

I've found a solution!

I had the same 'ACPI' error and managed to install Jas 10.48 SSE2 SSE3 without a hitch on my PATA with Asus VP5V900 aka P5VD2-VM.

The problem was using a Beta V2 of the Jas install and a few settings in BIOS. Once I changed the BIOS, used the proper Jas 10.4.8 and reformatted the drive for installation, everything went smoothly.

First, before installation you must make sure you have the following settings in BIOS:

PATA IDE: Set to master on Primary IDE, all settings to Auto

CDROM IDE: Set to master on Secondary IDE, all settings to Auto

HDD Smart monitoring: on

CPU Config: all enabled, especially Limit CPUID Maxval

Chipset primary display: mine was PCI-E

PCI Pnp > Plug & Play OS: Yes

Resources controlled by: Auto

Assign IRQ for VGA: Disabled

Maximum payload size: 4096

Onboard IDE:

Sata controller: Enabled

Sata Controller mode: IDE

HDA controller: Auto

Onboard Lan device: Enabled

Onboard Lan rom: Disabled

Serial port1 address: 3F8/IRQ4

Parallel port address 3F8/IRQ7

Parallel port mode: Bi-directional

ECP Mode Use DMA: 3

USB: all enabled including legacy support

Power > ACPI Suspend type: S1 (POS)

ACPI ACIP support: Enabled (mine was fixed)

APM Configuration: all off including HPET support

Hardware monitor: enabled

Boot > Boot settings configuration >

OS select for DRAM > 64MB: OS2

With the above settings I just loaded up Jas 10.4.8 and got the thing installed on my PATA drive. Now I'm following this guide > http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=47859

to get my OSX onto the SATA drive

I also noticed on my installation after the BIOS setup that the darwin text screen showed two VIA UNKNOWNs at startup whereas the failed installs only had one VIA UNKNOWN.

• 2 weeks later...