[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

To start this is my first OSx86 install, so I apologize in advance if my jargon is incorrect, and for how long this might be.

What I've done so far:

vanilla install(10.5) w/ boot-123

placed the newest kexts i could into the MacLoader5.2.1/KEXTs folder:

NVdarwin.kext

ApplePS2controller.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

Ran the macloader.command

Using Kext Helper b7, installed AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

After those steps this is what i have working:

Battery icon

keyboard

touchstick

touchpad (after sleep/wake)

video card displays at 1280 X 800, but now and then scrolling and moving windows makes the images freak

Things that aren't working:

wifi (i have the 5100, and from reading it sounds like that one isn't going to work anytime soon)

ethernet

VGA out

shutdown/restart

Questions:

When am I supposed to run the updater.command? After I'm done with installing kext, or after i do some apple software updates?

I am still on 10.5 because my computer has no internet connectivity. If i were to download an update from apple, say 10.5.6, transfer the file to my e6500 and run the update would that be able to fix a few things, or just break everything? I'm asking because in some of the more recent posts people with more up to date installs ran some the kexts i have and it fixed the touchpad issue and i think others.

I'm just not sure what my next move should be, or what order it should be in.

run updater.command?

run 10.5.6(or earlier) update from file?

uninstall or install kext?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

Quick update... just reformat everything back and now my machine is running with 10.5.7.

Wireless - 1397

QE - Yes

Touchpad/trackpad - Yes

Sound - Yes

For QE to work please follow ponjob instructions.

I didn't have any luck with the 10.5.7 update. Would you mind posting your kexts?

@gatorgolfer11

updater.command just skips some of the steps that you only need to do once. You will want to run update.command if you change any of the kexts in the KEXTs folder

@zPilott,

I'm using the same kext as anyone here. The trick is to remove NVDarwin kext from S/L/E BEFORE you do the update. Then, try and make sure that the system can boot back up (without QE/CI of course at this point). Then only you can do the update to 10.5.7. After update, if you can successfully on booting normally, then you need to install Nvidia 9000 series v2 installer and then only install back nvdarwin kext using kext helper or osx86 tools. Else, you need to follow ponjob instruction on how he get QE/CI to work. Ohh and after update, please run the updater command to get all the hardware to work back again. May I know which method did u use for installing osx? I'm running Cham 2.0 with vanilla install (No MacLoader), works like a charm now!!

@gatorgolfer11

For ethernet, u need to use the kext helper to install the kext (Intel82566MM.kext) in S/L/E, then only it'll work. As for wifi, trust me, just get DELL 1397 wifi card and be done with it. As for video, I strongly recommend you to update to 10.5.6 or 10.5.7 before follow the instruction that I gave earlier.

@Doomi,

Mind sharing which wifi card model are u using now? Need to get N card since G is not far enough.. :rolleyes:

Pendekar, My "airport" card is a 1510 Half, Wireless N(name butchered due to lack of memory.) Unfortunately, i cannot verify that the N portion of the card works, because i lack a wireless N router. I still lack a working sleep/shutdown mode, an above user recommended the Voodoo Kernel - is that what you have? Anyone have any suggestions about getting it to work on Chameleon Pre-2.0 (or does 2.0 include such wonders?)

Nah...in cham 2.0, sleep/shutdown still doesnt work. But funny thing though, before i install the kext to get the QE/CI, shutdown/restart works. I wonder if NVdarwin got something to do with it in some ways..hurmm

Okay, so i've made it to 10.5.7 in updates, but now the only way I can boot into the os is by using the boot-132 disk. Every time i try to boot w/o it i'm getting a kernel panic on the apple loading screen.

I'm using the macloader that is in the first post. The only two kexts i've installed using the Kext Helper are the battery manager and the intel82566MM. the rest i'm putting in the MacLoader/KEXT folder and then running the update.(been doing this for hours trying to get to right combo of kext to boot) I'm doing this because before reaching this point i made at least four other attempts at installing, all of which were killed because i installed the wrong kext with kext helper. I've been using Macloader to load the kext w/o adjusting the kernel, and allowing me to use the boot-132 disk to fix it when i add the wrong kext.

what kext files should i put into the MacLoader/KEXT folder and which ones need to be installed with kext helper?

could my old version of chameleon be causing the error? if so, could someone link update instructions for using chameleon 2.0 w/ macloader?

i'm at a stand still right now. any help would be awesome.

thanks in advance

gatorgolfer

have u tried removing nvdarwin from macloader? I think the cause for that kernal panic that you're having is because of that..let me know!

yeah i've removed everything except the kext from the boot-132 disk and the two that came pre-inserted in the macloader kext folder.

try to reinstall macloader, if that can't work..maybe u can try to install cham2.0...works fine with me

by reinstalling do you mean running the macloader.command (tried that), or should i format the MacLoader partition in disk utility and start over that way? Are there any particular kext that may be causing this? Are all of the kext stand alone or are there some that only work when they are paired up properly?

if i do end up needing to try cham 2.0, do i need the binaries or will just the installer package work?

thanks for your help

Just an update, i couldn't find a way to get around the kernel panics, so i trashed that install, and started over. Now, I'm at 10.5.7, and it can boot w/o the disk.

Working:

ethernet

touchstick

touchpad works right from the start(no scrolling)

restart works but i think that is because i haven't installed NVdarwin yet.

sound

keyboard

Not Working:

wifi(just waiting on the 1397)

quartz(running at 1024X768 without NVdarwin)

I plan on trying to install the NV 9000 series installer and NVdarwin tomorrow. Someone should post and stop me if it is the wrong thing to do, or if there is something i need to do first.

yup..you're on the right track, remember, install NV 9000 series 1st. then only install nvdarwin. Good luck!!

i tried installing the Nvidia 9000 series v2 installer; all went well.

i then restarted the computer and used Kext Helper to install NVdarwin; all is not well.

everytime i try to boot without the boot-132 disk i get a kernel panic. the funny thing about this is that when i boot with the disk i get the 1280X800 res like i'm supposed to meaning something is acting up between the macloader kext files and the kexts file i installed into os x.

i'm not a my computer right now so i can't tell you exactly what files i have where just yet(got them from a recent post), but i'll update when i get home to see if anyone knows what is causing my issue. i'm also going to try removing NVdarwin so i can boot unassisted again.

thanks for all the help, Pendekar!

Update:

i think my problem is the macloader and nvdarwin combo. it seems like this is always where i'm getting stuck. Is anyone running a macloader/vanilla install setup that has most everything working? If so what kexts should be installed directly in the S/L/E and which ones should i let macloader control?

it seems like a lot of people are running just chameleon 2.0. If I need to, how would i go about getting that set up? I imagine this method requires all added kext be installed with Kext Helper. Which kexts would i need for this method.

gatorgolfer,

what if u use kext helper and install nvdarwin (using kexthelper) in macloader partition.? would that helps?

for cham 2.0 installation, its pretty straight forward actually, 1st just install the osx normally, without macloader partition. After finished the installation and boot into the osx for the 1st time, install cham 2.0. Kext that you install in SLE is just network, wifi, sound and graphic. copy paste the rest in extra\extension folder.

I'm looking for the KEXT for just the LAN for my E6400 using the Kalaway build cd. The link in the first post does not seem to be resolving to an entity. Any ideas where I can find it?

you need to make sure that that you have updated. i used a combo update to jump from 10.5.2(no LAN) to 10.5.6(working LAN). I was using the newest Intel82566.kext i could find. Pendekar just posted some kext that he's using. You might be able to find it in there. if not, work your way up the forum page until you come across it.

gatorgolfer,

what if u use kext helper and install nvdarwin (using kexthelper) in macloader partition.? would that helps?

for cham 2.0 installation, its pretty straight forward actually, 1st just install the osx normally, without macloader partition. After finished the installation and boot into the osx for the 1st time, install cham 2.0. Kext that you install in SLE is just network, wifi, sound and graphic. copy paste the rest in extra\extension folder.

I was moving some kext around trying to fix my boot issue, but instead i was able to find a way to get a kernel panic with the boot-132 disk as well.

going to dump macloader for just cham 2.0 on the new install

Questions:

which kexts control wifi?

if i wanted an xp partition, should i install xp first or does it not matter?

is the extra\extension folder part of cham 2.0?

i'll upload the kext for wifi tomorrow cause its late here and im using my desktop which doesnt have the kext for the wifi..

and yes..the extra\extension is a part of cham 2.0.

let me know your result.

i havent tried dual booting with xp before but vista yes. And i install vista after osx. And vista controls the bootloader, which kinda not cool because cham 2.0 bootloader is much more cooler than vista (Easybcd).

that guide is for those who wants to use the hidden EFI partition. As for me, it is too complicated and a newbie like me will surely make a simple mistake.

For a complete simple installation if you're using cham 2.0. Follow my step below.

Here, I'm using : -

1. Customize boot 132 - USB thumb drive (I insert most of my working kext inside initrd.img)

2. Retail 10.5.6 - USB Thumb drive

Step 1.

Plug in boot 132 and set bios to boot from flash drive.

Step 2

After it was successfully boot, remove the thumb drive and replace with Retail 10.5.6. Wait for a second or two, and then simply press enter.

Step 3

Install osx normally.

Step 4

When you boot for the 1st time in osx, install cham2.0. You can find the package in the internet. Do not reboot yet!

Step 5

Use all my kext from my previous post and copy paste to Extra\Extension (Dont worry, Cham2.0 will create this folder for you). Reboot

Step 6

Update to 10.5.7 and all the updates thats come along with it.

Step 7

Using kext helper or osx86 tools, install network (if its not available yet), sound and wifi (if any). Reboot

Step 8

Install Nvidia 9000 series v2 installer. Then using kext helper again, install NVDarwin. Then only you reboot.

Step 9

You'll have a fully functioning mac osx in your e64/6500

Issues:

I haven't tried sleep, firewire, memory slots. If anyone can try this for me, it would be great!

Sorry for my not-so-good english. any question, feel free to ask