My unconventional method of repairing a dead hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

neikous

neikous

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey,

Ok so I did something hilarious today and wanted to share it with someone. I had a completely dead 30 GB laptop hard drive from who knows how long ago. I got bored with it not working so I bashed it against the table a few times and viola. The horrible clicking sounds of the drive ceased, and the drive is working wonders now. Now mind you, I won't be putting any important data on this and I only expect it to last the whole 30 minutes, but I am very proud of what I've done, and I hope some of you are proud of this incredible breakthrough as well.

Suprjacob

Suprjacob

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
lol. Kinda like tapping on an old CRT monitor to restore the colors.

morgang

morgang

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
I've had good luck with recovery after leaving them outside to get cold at night. I've read about freezing then dropping, but I can't bring myself to do that . . .

inimicus

inimicus

Drunk and Angry Slurs in 31 Flavors

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
I disassembled an old 100MB laptop HD once. That was fun.

geiman

geiman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
A hard tap on the corner of a hard drive is a common fix when no other alternative has worked.

ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
That method has "fixed" several iPod video 5th gens.
They must have used a very poor drive for them, I know 5 people with them and all of them have had hard drive issues.
This method got 4 of them going again for about another year, the 5th one only lasted about the time it took to backup the drive and it never spun-up again.

splits

splits

Insanely Hungry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I tried this method on a laptop LCD screen...they aren't as sturdy as a hard drive I guess :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy