GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

119 posts in this topic

johndingle,

your advise has been quite helpfull already, but I was wondering: have you had success going from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 with a retail install? If so, what steps did you need to take to accomplish this?

I saw a few posts. bassheadtech has some particularly good stuff regarding the retail install guide and DSDT patchers.

Well anyway, I'd like to hear about your results and how you got there. I'm sure we all would like to hear them.

Thanks again.

Mine looks just like your MBP.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 889

Available Devices:

Speaker:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Line Out:

Headphone:

Line In:

Microphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Combo

Somehow yours didn't install properly. Make sure that AppleHDA.kext is in /System/Library/Extensions . Mine is version 1.6.2a37.

One thing you can try is reboot and hit a key during the countdown and type in "-f" to rebuild extensions during the startup process. This has fixed some of my issues.

I've done 3 UD3P rigs so far. Immediately after installing retail 10.5.4 I connected to the internet (LAN works OOB) and do the full System Update, including the 10.5.6 update. Then I apply patches, and fix the AHCI which also enables eSATA. Has worked perfectly for me.

Hey folks,

So my rig is running at as close to real mac capacity as possible. And thanks to our fellow hackintosher Buildsmart I have a wifi card that is fully recognized as an Airport wireless running at 300mbps.

Buildsmart informed me that he will be ordering another shipment of cards, but he could use some pre-orders to help defray some of the overhead. I'll be taking one more myself, but give him the heads-up if you are interested.

Hey, I have this board and installed it for my roommate and it works great. I have noticed that the Ethernet jumps in and out of working though.

Also, any 10.5.6 guides available?

The ethernet on mine works perfectly with absolutely no problems.

Did you do a Vanilla install with a retail Leopard disc?

If not, if you follow the guide that was linked in the post above you, you will have a perfect Leopard install running 10.5.6 using this board.

The ethernet on mine works perfectly with absolutely no problems.

Did you do a Vanilla install with a retail Leopard disc?

If not, if you follow the guide that was linked in the post above you, you will have a perfect Leopard install running 10.5.6 using this board.

Would you please say a little more about this? IT seems the forums have recently switched to gathering all thread posts at the bottom of a page and have to wait for each and every one to load before reading it - AARRGGHH.

I know you have the same board I am about to get. I am trying to find out exactly how difficult it will be for me to go with this board, or the i7 route. Right now it all comes down to who has a better (more readable for me) tutorial or guide.

Can you please post what you see as critical clinks to use if I get this board? Vanilla install, boot 132, my head hurts already. :D

Seriously, is the vanilla method where I get the Leopard commercial install disk (planning on supporting Apple) and then recompile it on my Tiger running G4 Mac, before I Start?

Thanks. I just suggested adding a Pre-installation forum to the moderators. I think that would be a good place for what I am asking, and again, thanks fora any help.

Would you please say a little more about this? IT seems the forums have recently switched to gathering all thread posts at the bottom of a page and have to wait for each and every one to load before reading it - AARRGGHH.

I know you have the same board I am about to get. I am trying to find out exactly how difficult it will be for me to go with this board, or the i7 route. Right now it all comes down to who has a better (more readable for me) tutorial or guide.

Can you please post what you see as critical clinks to use if I get this board? Vanilla install, boot 132, my head hurts already. :rolleyes:

Seriously, is the vanilla method where I get the Leopard commercial install disk (planning on supporting Apple) and then recompile it on my Tiger running G4 Mac, before I Start?

Thanks. I just suggested adding a Pre-installation forum to the moderators. I think that would be a good place for what I am asking, and again, thanks fora any help.

At the top of the post, if you click Options (on the right hand side) and then click Standard, the view will switch back to a typical linear style view.

Visit this guys Blog:

auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/

He has a very clear layed out installed process for this board. He even has a UD3P-package.zip file that has everything you need in it, except of course a retail Leopard DVD. That you will need to buy/provide.

It includes the grub-dfe.iso that you need to boot with to start the install.

If you have any questions, or something isn't clear, if you scroll down to the comments section, you will some questions and answers and user experiences with this install. It very straight forward.

Basically you boot off the grub-dfe disc (after you burn it back to cd), then at the prompt you put in your regular Leopard retail DVD disc. No need to recompile anything. Then just follow the directions.

Seriously, once you boot the machine for the first time with the boot disc, you should be able to have the install done and most likely update with in maybe an hour or so.

Just make sure you use a supported video card.

What are the full specs of the hardware you plan to use?

At the top of the post, if you click Options (on the right hand side) and then click Standard, the view will switch back to a typical linear style view.

Visit this guys Blog:

auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/

He has a very clear layed out installed process for this board. He even has a UD3P-package.zip file that has everything you need in it, except of course a retail Leopard DVD. That you will need to buy/provide.

It includes the grub-dfe.iso that you need to boot with to start the install.

If you have any questions, or something isn't clear, if you scroll down to the comments section, you will some questions and answers and user experiences with this install. It very straight forward.

Basically you boot off the grub-dfe disc (after you burn it back to cd), then at the prompt you put in your regular Leopard retail DVD disc. No need to recompile anything. Then just follow the directions.

Seriously, once you boot the machine for the first time with the boot disc, you should be able to have the install done and most likely update with in maybe an hour or so.

Just make sure you use a supported video card.

What are the full specs of the hardware you plan to use?

I also used auzigig's instructions and the ones from weaksauce12 on this forum and the GA-EP45-UD3P works great. There are 2 issues on my system:

1. Sleep worked fine when I had 4 GB of memory, but I upgraded to 8 GB and it will not go to sleep from inactivity anymore, I can manually initiate it and sleep works??? (I forgot I also upgraded from a 8600GT to a 9400GT, so I need to test that also...)
  2. There are tons of messages in the Console about "_CFGetHostUUIDString:..... Error: 35", i have seen the fix before about changing the NICs mode, but I have forgotten it...

The sleep issue really bothers me, but everything else works great.

I also used auzigig's instructions and the ones from weaksauce12 on this forum and the GA-EP45-UD3P works great. There are 2 issues on my system:
  1. Sleep worked fine when I had 4 GB of memory, but I upgraded to 8 GB and it will not go to sleep from inactivity anymore, I can manually initiate it and sleep works??? (I forgot I also upgraded from a 8600GT to a 9400GT, so I need to test that also...)
  2. There are tons of messages in the Console about "_CFGetHostUUIDString:..... Error: 35", i have seen the fix before about changing the NICs mode, but I have forgotten it...

The sleep issue really bothers me, but everything else works great.

Hmmm....thats interesting. Are you talking system sleep or display sleep? I know on my config display sleep works perfectly but I disabled system sleep as I have never used it on any of my past computers. Mac or Windows machines.

I am getting ready to add an extra 4 gigs to it, so I will have to keep an eye out for it.

I checked the console and I also have some of the UUID errors. They don't pop in Terminal so it doesn't bother me too much. Might look into fixing them.

Hmmm....thats interesting. Are you talking system sleep or display sleep? I know on my config display sleep works perfectly but I disabled system sleep as I have never used it on any of my past computers. Mac or Windows machines.

I am getting ready to add an extra 4 gigs to it, so I will have to keep an eye out for it.

I checked the console and I also have some of the UUID errors. They don't pop in Terminal so it doesn't bother me too much. Might look into fixing them.

I think that I have narrowed it down to the Audio causing the system not to sleep (display sleeps fine). When I turn the audio off in the BIOS and disable the audio kexts, it seems to go to sleep on schedule. With the ALC889A drivers loaded the Message log gets an assertion error (2 per second), I can only assume that this activity is causing system sleep not to occur...

I think that I have narrowed it down to the Audio causing the system not to sleep (display sleeps fine). When I turn the audio off in the BIOS and disable the audio kexts, it seems to go to sleep on schedule. With the ALC889A drivers loaded the Message log gets an assertion error (2 per second), I can only assume that this activity is causing system sleep not to occur...

Thats bizarre.

Do you have smbiosresolver.kext installed?

I ask because that resolved the UUID error in the console for me and also fixed System Profiler so that it would display correct info. These were the last 2 issues I was having and now makes my machine as close to 100% Mac compatible as I think it can get.

I went ahead and added another 4 gigs ram to the system for a total of 8. Maybe I should check system sleep sometime.

Perhaps its worth checking into smbiosresolver (if you haven't ) for the audio/system sleep issue?

Yellow are Intel controller the Purple are the Jmicron to get them working look for the fixed .kext for it on the site here.

For all practical purposes my UDP3 is fully functional.

I just tried to hook up an external Firewire 400 drive and nothing mounts.

I also tried a macbook in Target Disk mode and same result.

System Profiler reads in red

"Unable to list FireWire devices."

Any ideas?

Could it be a MOBO setting?

Everything works wonderfully.

For all practical purposes my UDP3 is fully functional.

I just tried to hook up an external Firewire 400 drive and nothing mounts.

I also tried a macbook in Target Disk mode and same result.

System Profiler reads in red

"Unable to list FireWire devices."

Any ideas?

Could it be a MOBO setting?

Everything works wonderfully.

PC's do not have the required firmware for target mode as I believe both machines need to support it to be used so your out of luck there I think. However normal firewire connections should work and it does here on my machine there was nothing special I had to do for it to work so I almost think your chipset in the external is not compatible with OS X. I take it nothing pops up on the desktop when you plug it in and diskutil list in Terminal shows nothing?

I am not trying to use the GA as a target disk machine.

I was only trying to have it read a disk trough its firewire port. ( no luck )

I then tried to hook up a Macbook already in TD mode to either FW port (i.link and standard) and same effect.

USB drives mount. Firewire is not reponsive to anything I plugged

I used the iPC 10.5.6. No moded kernel is needed for this Mobo.

anyone confirm sleep is working on 10.5.6 -- there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on the board

It has been working wonderfully for me! I took Weaksauce12's UD3P.zip package for PCWiz's UInstaller (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112708&st=1480), retail DVD, but i had to replace the audio kexts with ones I found in a GA-EX58 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505) thread. The ones in weaksauce12's package give 2 errors a second in the message log and seemed to prevent sleep. I also updated the Extensions.mkext to include the latest version of VoodooPower.kext (http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html). You can also remove the ATA kexts if you have only SATA controllers... There is also a good blog from auzigog (http://auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/). Hope this helps!

Anyone running into any gigabit ethernet issues?

Both Nics on my UD3P work fine, but gigabit ethernet isn't nearly as fast as it should. For the most part reading from or writing to my Windows Home server machine I can only manage about 35 megabytes a sec. Sometimes it briefly shoots up to 50 or 60, but then drops back to 25 to 35 megs/sec.

Same machine with Vista manages 65 megs+ or better.

Is this just a 10.5.6 issue or just poor performance dealing with SMB in general?

It has been working wonderfully for me! I took Weaksauce12's UD3P.zip package for PCWiz's UInstaller (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112708&st=1480), retail DVD, but i had to replace the audio kexts with ones I found in a GA-EX58 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505) thread. The ones in weaksauce12's package give 2 errors a second in the message log and seemed to prevent sleep. I also updated the Extensions.mkext to include the latest version of VoodooPower.kext (http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html). You can also remove the ATA kexts if you have only SATA controllers... There is also a good blog from auzigog (http://auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/). Hope this helps!

Hi cwall64,

Exactly which audio kexts did you use (and which did you remove) in order to get the sleep to work on your machine. I tried switching just the AppleHDA.kext but I still get the error messages in the message log. If I install the AppleHDA.kext and the HDAEnabler.kext, then I get no sound... Thanks for the help.

Hi cwall64,

Exactly which audio kexts did you use (and which did you remove) in order to get the sleep to work on your machine. I tried switching just the AppleHDA.kext but I still get the error messages in the message log. If I install the AppleHDA.kext and the HDAEnabler.kext, then I get no sound... Thanks for the help.

Here is everything in my /Extras/Extensions: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ynxnmyuam22/....1_F7_KEXTS.zip

Also, i have the R1000 (psystar kext) and AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext in S/L/E.

These are the only changes I have made on a Leopard DVD install with PC_EFI9.

Here is everything in my /Extras/Extensions: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ynxnmyuam22/....1_F7_KEXTS.zip

Also, i have the R1000 (psystar kext) and AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext in S/L/E.

These are the only changes I have made on a Leopard DVD install with PC_EFI9.

Thanks for the info, but now I have a stupid question... what exactly do you mean when you say these are in your /Extras/Extensions ? I thought all this stuff went in S/L/E. Have I completely missed the boat with my install? I do have the R1000 and AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext in S/L/E. Do I put these others in there as well? Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks for the info, but now I have a stupid question... what exactly do you mean when you say these are in your /Extras/Extensions ? I thought all this stuff went in S/L/E. Have I completely missed the boat with my install? I do have the R1000 and AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext in S/L/E. Do I put these others in there as well? Thanks again for the advice.

I guess you can put them all in S/L/E, but if you do every time Apple changes something it will overwrite your customized kext. So with PC_EFI 9 and Chameleon 12 they will look for a Extensions.mkext in /Extra. Auzigog has a great blog on building out a system based on the GA-EP45-UD3P board (http://auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/). That talks to each one of the steps.

You can use PCWiz's tools, like the Mkext Tool (http://######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=48) or the Universal Installer (http://######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=48).